Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,261 | Hads: 2,799
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

This has got to be one of my favorite porters. Pours a dark dark brown that is really closer to black. Nice brownish tan head that becomes thin but never really goes away. Smell is of darkly roasted coffee. The taste is bittersweet cocoa and coffee and perhaps a not so sweet fruit although I can't seem to put my finger on it. The mouthfell is great. Very smooth and creamy without feeling thick or sticky. The drinkability is good. You could defintely drink quite a few of these. Very tasty, not too high in alcohol and very smooth. (534 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1%

A - Very dark with a lingering tan head

S - Smells of delicious honey and sweet malts

T - Has a rich roasted taste that is extraordinarily well balanced. Less harsh than many American porters without losing complexity.

M - very smooth, medium body

D - the low ABV and smoothness gives exceptional drinkability

Samuel Smith's comes through again with a delicious and ridiculously drinkable beer! A must try for any porter fan. (431 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

found a bottle at Andersonville liquors in Chicago

Dark brown hue with a moderate fizzy white head that diminished quickly.

Moderate scent of toasted malts, molasses, light doughy yeasty aroma

A very nice taste with roasted nuts and malts, a dry smoked nuts taste with a hint of mapley goodness

A very good english Porter. Drinkable and quite tasty (360 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +14%

A - very very dark with amber highlights. ample head that stuck around.
S - smooth rich chocolate roasted aroma.
T - very very smooth rich creamy toasty flavor. it is a mouthful of complex flavor.
M - very rich in my opinion. aftertaste isn't too bitter.
D - makes good company with the nut brown ale and the oatmeal stout. (327 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

Beautiful tan head on a clean black body. Foam has fuzzy texture from the side. Syrup red on the bottom if you look at it right.

When the foam disappears, what is left is a nice caramel colored fog.

Aroma is bitter chocolate, coffee beans, raisins, and some molasses makes an appearance as well.

Hot damn, this one is amazing. A spicy hit of dark creamy chocolate with some coffee pushing it forward. The mouthfeel of this Porter is second to none. Straight up silk, I tell you. Aftertaste is burnt and pleasant.

Drinkability is huge. I'm buying 2 or 3 at a time from now on. (588 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance: Decent head, good dark brown color.

Smell: Carob, caramel smoothness which would be great on a fall night outside.

Taste: chocolate, carob, sorta like brownies, slight, SLIGHT grapefruitiness

Mouthfeel: It seems like one of the thinner porters I've had. It's definitely thinner than something like Sierra Nevada Porter. It's medium thin I'd say. When you first swig it there's a big chunkiness to it.

Drinkability: Easily could drink this stuff all night. Friggen good. (493 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1%

I picked this beauty up for $3.49 at the local BevMo.

It pours thick and black with a medium/thick off-white head which went from a good two inches thick to half an inch or so in a minute.

Smells of faint chocolate and coffee hit me right away... some sweetness. Very rich smelling, but pretty average.

The taste was far superior to the smell of this brew. very rich thick and smooth with light carbonation that tickles the tongue. This is a porter for sure. Tastes of roasted coffee beans and chocolate with a nice citrus backing. A slight bitterness lingers on the back of my tongue with hints of smoke. Very nice.

This is a very rich and flavorful porter that fairly easy to drink due to the slight but persistent carbonation. I was done after one bottle, but I could see myself having another had I not had this right after a meal. A very nice porter and IMO one of the best! (893 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Tastes of traditional steel-works with a hint of days gone by. The old gentleman come in from a brisk spring day and ordering a pint of lovely Porter. I'm not old or a gentleman, go figure. (189 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1%

poured from a 12oz bottle into my samuel smith nonic pint glass. A dark caramel brown with a small 1in head that dissolves rather quickly a little too fast for my liking. you immediatley smell the malt along with some mild hops and after that a little bit of a fruit kick. very pleasing. the taste at first is somewhat sweet with just a little bit of bitterness from the hops. a very nice smooth mouthfeel and a high drinkability because of the low alcohol content. (465 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

I prefer their oatmeal stout more. Different style beer by definition yes. However, it has a good head, and nice color. Pours really good, and sits well in the stomach. However its missing a little bit of flavor. But i do like the bitterness and the taste is still very good. (280 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Poured with a nice thick head of dark tan color. Aroma was clean with a hint of dark roasted malts. Flavor was rich, thicker than expected in the mouth. Dark chocolate with a fruity sweetness to balance a dark bitterness. The sweetness stays on the tip of your tongue long after the swallow. A mild alcohol in the back of the throat, but not overpowering. The sweetness lingers almost too long. A pleasant porter experience for sure, but I prefer the Meantime London Porter over this one. (530 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a glass from the 550ml bottle

A-Dark brown almost black, tan head and little lacing.

S-I was not impressed here; wasn't bad just kind of boring.

T-A hint of chocolate, very malty, a hint of something nutty. This is nice.

MF-Thicker than other porters that I've tried, and I like it.

D-I feel that I could easily drink multiple of these, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one or two. I could see me starting out a cold night of pubbing with this, though.

Overall, this is the best porter that I've had so far, but that's a relatively small list at this point. This makes me look forward to the next porter that I can get my hands on. (656 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from 18.7 oz bottle into a glass.

Appearance - Nice dark brown with cream-colored head.
Smell - Nutty aroma with hints of spice
Taste and Mouthfeel - Not as heavy as it looks. Actually a nice, light feel in the mouth. Nice combination of malt in the front and hops in the back.
Drinkability - Quite good and enjoyable. Would definitely get this again. (364 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Black body lightening to a dark brown at the rim of the glass. Leaves an off-white 1 finger head. Pour is nice and smooth looking, looks like a very drinkable brew.

S- Smells of toffee, raisin, hazelnut, and coffee. The nutty smell is what stands out to me.

T- Nice thick malty sweetness, gives way to hints of butterscotch and coffee, somewhat of a cola-like flavor as well. Very tasty.

M- Smooth and creamy, feels nice swishing it around in my mouth, easy to swallow and ponder.

D- Very high, it's extremely enjoyable and worthy of the praise it gets. (560 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A: very dark with generous head. Light doesn't permeate except for a tiny malty ruby red at the bottom. 4

S: typical SS yeast. Reminds me of the oatmeal stout. After careful deliberation I actually think the smell/taste is kind of reminiscent of a cardboard box with fermenting apple juice/apple cider splashed on the sides. 4

T: Excellent. Malty toffee/coffee. I really like the sweet toffee and the earthy coffee, which includes a sort of bitter aftertaste like an espresso. The espresso notes linger in the mouth but the bitterness doesn't. 4

M: Excellent. Nicely carbonated. 4

D: I could drink this all night easily (if it wasn't so expensive as an import). Has enough complexity to keep from getting boring, but the 5% makes it readily drinkable. 5

I do think strongly flavoured food will drown out a lot of the flavor of this beer (as I experienced) as perhaps the flavor is a bit subtle, but that's hardly a bad thing; and is to be expected for the style and alcohol content. Make sure you let it warm for a bit before drinking. (1,040 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Deep dark brown with lingering sticky head.

Smell: Some malt subtle notes of coffee and chocolate

Taste: roasted malt and subtle coffee

Mouthfeel: Full, creamy and smooth

Drinkability:Very drinkable, this is how a great english porter should taste. I love it! (275 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Poured pitch black with 1-2 inches of head which dissipated quickly.

Smell - Sweet aroma of coffee, chocolate, and hops.

Taste - Like a chocolatey coffee expresso beer.

Mouthfeel - Full-bodied flavor.

Drinkability - Not exactly smooth but I wasn't chewing it down either.

Overall - I really enjoyed this beer. It won't be part of my everyday rotation but mostly just for the import pricing. I will definitely have it again though. (449 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours an opaque black-brown color with a tan/cream colored head leaving medium lacing on the glass. Aroma is yeast, roasted malt, and chocolate with a hint of alcohol. Very pleasant. Taste begins with a nice mellow roasted malt, sweet, and then a bit tangy in the middle with a dark chocolate finish. Body is medium and smooth. Overall, another solid offering from Samuel Smith's of which I could easily have several. (417 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 18.2oz bottle into a pint glass.
Out cascades a THICK, black as night body with about a fingers worth of mocha colored head.
Smells of dark strong roast and alcohol.
First taste is silky and chocolately goodness!
Another whiff and my nose thinks its a Hershey bar melted into a fresh pot of delicious coffee. Slight bitterness hits the tongue first, quickly followed by a smokey wood flavor. I am left with bits of coco danging in my mouth. Hints of raisins sprint across the tongue. What a complex brew!
This beer departs your pallet as quickly as it got there, leaving only a relish of smoked chocolate in your mouth.
I will definitely get this one again! (673 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

What a great porter.. smooth and velvety, chocolaty.. tasting this beer is definitely an experience to savor. Perhaps a tiny bit too sweet; definitely one to drink sparingly (but do be sure to have one..) (205 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Beer is pitch black with a dark brown head. Looks very creamy and chocolate-y. Smelled of smoke and roasted nuts.

Taste was creamy as expected and a slight bitterness on the finish. Very sweet and coffee like. As it warmed the bitterness ramped up slightly, but didn't become anything bad. This beer tasted good cold and slightly warmed. Mouthfeel was heavy and carbonation was good. This beer tasted just as it looked; creamy and sweet. Good beer, but I probably won't revisit it. (519 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

335 ml brown bottle.
Diggn' the old-school look of the bottle/label. All sammy smith bottles are interesting though.
Poured black with some deep ruby in the light, 2 finger fluffy cream tan head. Looks delicious. I didnt let this brew warm up enough maybe as i wasnt getting nearly anything for aroma other than a faint coffee. Tasted some faint bitter chocolate and malt but the coffee was what really stood out to me with this guy. This was very sweet i thought, balanced and some dark fruit. It was alot lighter than i guess i figured it would be which is usually the case, i could drink motor oil sludge and still think its too light haha. Very drinkable/tastey straight forward porter though and if i was a coffee drinker which im not, id much rather have one of these in the morning with breakfast for sure, and with only a good 5% ABV it certainly wouldnt be a problem. (877 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

A good beer overall but not the most drinkable porter, to me. I think it's just a little sweet for my taste. I like brown porter, but this one seems to me like one I would never be able to drink more than one of. In general, seems like an excellent after-dinner or dessert beer. Has a lactose-like flavor (in my mind) that seems like a milk stout. Looks beautiful in the glass and is an English classic, no doubt.

As the previous poster noted, a little too rich for me to drink regularly, but excellent from time to time. (522 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance: Very dark, can only see a little light through my Samuel Smith's pint glass. Good looking head is 2-2.5 fingers. Head reminds me of a stout- bubbles moving from top to bottom.
Smell: Nice somewhat sweet fruit smell.
Taste: For me this is the type of Porter I like, not too smoky, roasting or toasting. The bottle tells about their Yorkshire Square method of brweing at the brewery. This is a more constrained taste that probably an American version of a porter.
Mouthfeel: Somewhat heavy, smooth, not a lot of carbonation.
Overall: A benchmark porter, one that is very drinkable. I can only drink one beer of the very smoky ones, but this I could have a few. (672 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours black with a slight brownish tinge and a very thick and creamy off white head.

Smell has strong notes of chocolate and coffee, with a sweetness present in the background.

Taste is a swirl of sweet malty coffee and chocolate with hints of bourbon and vanilla. The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with the most deliciously beautiful creaminess present.

I could seriously drink this beer all night long, it is that good. Probably the best porter I've had so far...it puts a lot of others to shame. (500 characters)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)