Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.43/5  rDev +6%

An old favorite recently revisited, very dark brown body with a lighter medium head, no skunkiness from the clear bottle. Just alot of roasted malt goodness, the usual chocolate/caramel/coffee tones that I seem to pick out of every non hop dominated beer I ever drink. A good old school porter, to appreciate what's available now, enjoy what I really got into 10 years ago.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.92/5  rDev +17.7%

So this is what I'm missing......

Deep black in colour, with some brown around the edges. Head is creamy and tan-coloured. Taste is incredibly smooth and perfect. Some coffee notes, some chocolate. To gauge the flavour of this beer take the arc from Guinness to Murphy's (smoother and more drinkable) and then somewhere out and the end of this arc, far beyond any stout, is this. Wonderful creamy mouthfeel, restrained finish.

I could drink this all night, except for one thing: I only have (had) one bottle. It's gone now, and I can't get this anywhere near me. Ah well.... thanks for the teaser, nerofiddled.

3.64/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried this beer for the second time and the purpose of review last night, quite a big bottle of it really. I poured it into an English pint glass and had to admire the visual effect of the beer. It was medium chilled. It was black with a hint of ruby color, and a much lighter head that was about 1/8 of an inch.

I smelled and smelled and smelled but I didn’t really enjoy the nose too much, even after repeated sips. My first impression was that this was full bodied but slick and watery. There was a bitter-sweet roasted quality that lingered until the slightly bitter finish.It can be likened to drinking a big watered down double espresso with sugar but only a touch of cream. You can’t help but think, “this is going to be a huge beer because it is so black, so opaque.” But sadly, its not that big or complex.

There is a redeeming quality to this beer, in my eyes though, and it lies in the drinkability. As you progress through a pint, the beer becomes more drinkable, and the sweetness and bitterness balance, much like a perfectly made cup of coffee. I would recommend this on a late fall night, to anyone who remotely likes English ale or hanging out in a pub- but if you do- this is probably already one of your favorites.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Very dark amber hue. Almost looks black but held up to the light you can see through it. There is a 1.5 finger off white head with great lacing.

S - Slightly fruity aroma… maybe I’m mistaking lactose for fruity. Vanilla, chocolate, no coffee to speak of. Cherry might be the aroma I’m looking for. Really doesn’t smell like any porter I’ve encountered.

T - Taste is equally as fruity. Cherry, licorice, vanilla are the main flavors. Chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, all the flavors I would normally expect in a porter are missing. I haven’t had many English porters, so I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be this fruity, but that’s definitely what it has going for it.

M - Medium bodied, which surprises me. For a beer this fruity, I would expect something a little lighter bodied, but I’m fine with it. Finish is sweet and wet with a distinct cherry aftertaste.

O - Overall, I don’t particularly like this beer. It doesn’t scream porter to me, but I could just be used to the American porters. The sweetness just wasn’t what I was looking for. If that’s your scene, this is the beer for you, just not what I wanted.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Enjoyed while watching a bizarre '80s movie. I heard a lot of good things about this beer in general. Unfortunately, it was not quite as good as I expected. Don't get me wrong, it was still good. I guess my expectations were too high.

The biggest letdown really was the mouthfeel. I really expect something amazing from Samuel Smith's when it comes to easing the pallet, and this beer just didn't deliver. Carbonation just killed the feeling. But for all I've said, still a good beer and worthy of a taste.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

3.71/5  rDev -11.2%

A very deep dark brown pour accented by ruby highlights through a seemingly clear liquid. The head is slim but creamy and reduces to a compact film within minutes. No trace of lace but the film survives.

Aromas were somewhat underwhelming even after warming. Dominated by roasted notes and malty chocolate over a slightly hoppy underpinning. Expected more of an aromatic profile.

First taste reveals a firm and crisp brew of medium body. It fills the mouth assertively and rightly paves the way for sound notes of cocoa and roasted grains. The middle and end are slightly fruity but are mostly dominated by a lingering hops and drying burnt bitterness that fades lazily for several minutes.

A decent session porter for those who are just getting into the style.

Santé

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

3.84/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A:Close to black amber with tan head. Nice big head with average lacing.

S: I'm getting dark fruit here. Ripened vinous grape with some raisin. Fruit is backed by a bitter chocolate.

T: Dark grape comes in first, a touch of banana. In the middle there's some typical malt sweetness. Finishes with a very slight bitterness of roasted grains.

M: Slight thickness and low carbonation. Has a creamy feel and is very wet.

O: A good porter that is worthwhile. Wasn't blown away as I thought I would be but I found a decent porter that is well priced. Try it if you could get it for cheap.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

I have been drinking this beer for years and years.

Here goes a review.

Pours dark brown and sits black in the glass. Looks thiner then a stout. Has a nice creamy head. Lacing is great. This just looks good enough to drink!

Smells of pure molassis and candy. Some chocolate and coffie in the background.

Taste is what I would compare any other porters too. Mellow and smooth. The flavors are as it smells. Nothing complex, just creamy goodness in a bottle.

Moutfeel is dry and a bit too thin..wish it was thicker.

Drinkability is great.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

12 oz bottle. Poured a deep black, with a large frothy chocolate head that slowly receded to a fine ring, losts of sticky lace on the glass. Aroma reminds me of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry. Taste is of roasted malt, and again of the Sherry, with some smokey hints. Very good balance of flavor, creamy mouthfeel, and good carbonation. I had this one other time and didn't think much of it. But as I have sampled other beers, and have taught my palate what good beer is, this porter is one I can really enjoy!

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours an opaque dark brown/ black color with a thick tan head which lingers a bit and then drops to about a quarter inch and stays there.

Amazingly complex aroma, possibly this beer’s best attribute, featuring coffee, licorice, vanilla, butterscotch, plums, figs and more.

Rich flavor with a significant amount of bitterness. Finishes dry with lingering fruit and roasted malt.

A truly exceptional beer.

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a dark brown almost black. Head is tan with uneven bubbles.

Nose is fruity and quite memorable. I think I was most impressed with the aroma of this beer.

Taste is of slightly roasted malts, fruity, very fruity, then the ever so mild British hops come in, and the finish is once again sweet and astringent. Not a bad thing, but the aftertaste is somewhat "off."

Good consistency for a porter, medium bodied. Often porters are too watery, but this was just right.

Quite drinkable, but the astringency and fruitiness could get annoying.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Got handed one from a four pack at work today, never really paid much attention to this beer, but the rating is getting my hopes up.

A: Opaque dark brown color with a thick dark tan 3-finger head that puffed up and is slowly receding but not going away.

S: Smells of chocolate malt, coffee and dark fruits -- figs/raisins?

T: Dark roasted malt with flavors of dark chocolate and coffee. There is a small amount of raisiny sweetness that rides through most of the flavor experience.

M: Full bodied, and incredibly smooth. Starts off with a carbonation bite, then as the flavor develops it gets very creamy, then finishes a little dry.

O: This was a real treat for a free beer handed to me at work. I had no idea this was so good. Best porter I've ever had, hands down.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

It is dark brown with a offwhite head.

Dark malts, raisins, dark chocolate, wood (indeed) and a hint of British hops. Not bad!

Sweet malts, dark fruits, mild hops, a hint of choclate and a hint of metal. Nicely balanced and drinkable.

Medium thickness yet creamy, not alot of carbonation.

Overal a good porter.

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

Very dark color. Big fluffy rocky head with decent retention and a healthy amount of lacing.

Coffee malt and basic porter smell.

Nothing out of the ordinary here. I don't see what all of the fuss is about. I'd trade this one for a local porter anytime.

This certainly doesn't live up to the name... especially since it has "Famous" in it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not one of my favorite Porters

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)