Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,264 | Hads: 2,822
4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster). Poured from the glass into a nonic tumbler, this brew's head is two fingers thick and has a lather-esue frothiness to it, with spottier lacing, and a classic very dark reddish brown body.

I smell nicely roasted malts, hearty grains, coffee, molasses, dark fruits and chocolate. Not much hop bitterness in this discipline.

Tastes like very much as I've described above, along with a nice helping of caramel to mellow this out even more. There is just a small bit of hop bitterness just at the very end of the swig. I like how it arrived fashionably late and still pulled through with its obligations to balance all of these sweeter tastes.

The mouthfeel I'm getting here is smooth and surprisingly clean for as much that goes on in terms of flavor. Nice and refreshing for an undisputed full bodied porter.

Overall, I'll give Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) a 4.75. I've had a professor from Sheffield, England praise this brew to high heavens and I've wanted to get my hands on this brew ever since. I guess one could say this has been my closet white whale, and I'm very vlad to have made the catch.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looks very nice after a fairly aggressive pour with it's big root beer float head and opaque body.

Nose isn't massive as grainy with a touch sweet is all I'm getting.

Taste immediately makes me happy. Sweet caramel, dates and earthy bitterness prevail. Finishes less cloying and cumbersome than I would have thought in this medium bodied beer.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Dogfish traditional oversized snifter. No freshness date.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/4 inch tan head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a mostly full sheet of sheer surface foam. Resilient lacing leaves a jagged ring behind.

S- Sweet, biscuity malt as per usual for the English style. Slight alcohol fume.

T- Nice roasted malt characteristic that's a bit sweet and bready. Very drinkable and very tasty at the same time. Notes of milk chocolate, toffee and dark bread. Mild bitterness complements the rest of the flavor profile.

M- Standard porter feel with medium carbonation and a fullish body.

O- An excellent porter that could keep me satisfied over multiple sessions.

2.77/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I am guessing I had a bad bottle of this beer, because I did not get any of the taste profiles outlines by the others rating this beer. Extremely bitter and vinegary. It was all down hill after the pour.

L: Pours bright brown under a very fluffy 2” light tan foam collar with a very fine bead. The collar recedes slowly to a thin film and leaves excellent intricate lace.
S: chocolate and malt aromas.
T: Rich malt flavors with chocolate, a slight nuttiness, a slight tartness on the finish with a bitter hop accent. Nothing burnt or harsh.
F: Very creamy soft palate, medium full body, medium low carbonation.
O: A world class porter.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

I prefer their oatmeal stout more. Different style beer by definition yes. However, it has a good head, and nice color. Pours really good, and sits well in the stomach. However its missing a little bit of flavor. But i do like the bitterness and the taste is still very good.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Sampled from 550 ml bottle in pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 3" sudsy cream colored head that drops slowly with mild lacing. Color is dark reddish brown.

Aroma: cocoa, raisins, ripe fruit, a hint of pecan, molasses and some earthy & floral hops.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a very dry finish.

Flavor: rich roasted barley, a bit of char, cocoa, molasses, ripe fruit, tangy hop bite.

Overall: another excellent offering from a terrific brewery.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pour looked like a nice dark stout should. The smell of dark chocolate. Taste was metallic, not extremely pleasant at all. I purchased 3 Sam Smith varieties and all three have been underwhelming. Either they were out of date and shouldn’t have been distributed or this brewery is tremendously overhyped.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Tastes of traditional steel-works with a hint of days gone by. The old gentleman come in from a brisk spring day and ordering a pint of lovely Porter. I'm not old or a gentleman, go figure.

1.56/5  rDev -62.4%

Yuck: No disrespect to the bros and others who consider this a top-flight brew, but for yours truly, complete bilge water. Burnt and bitter coffee to the point of being "puckery" sour. Had a decent head and of course a very dark brown color.

So as an enthusiast, how did I end up with something so contrary to my styles??

Get this - The "Mrs" goes to "Total Wine" as a birthday surprise: Tells one of there "aisle" experts that I like "sweet stouts"--Mackeson being my all-time favorite--and this is what they recommend to her for me! ;)

Hated to do, since I know she spent a pretty penny, but used this was one as draino.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I really do like Samuel Smiths beers. I do, they are nice and smooth very easy to drink... but I prefer my stouts and porters a little heavier with some bite. Dont get me wrong this is still an excellent beer just a bit mild to me.
Pours very dark with nice tan head minimal lacing. Very soft smell not too strong. Bits of sweetened coffee and dark fruit maybe molasses... taste is actually quite light, slight bitterness at the end, tastes as it smells. Finishes very well. No lingering after taste. Will enjoy another time... Cheers

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A – Massive almost 2 inch tan head that has a thick choc milk shake like appearance and consistency. The body is deeply dark and has very little highlights against the light, though there is a hint of ruby in there.

S - the aroma is dominated by coffee and choc, with an ample amount of burnt malt presence there is evidence of molasses but it is very faint. Any hop from the dry hoping is lost.

T – This beer is as near to what you could ever want from a Porter. There is a deep rich coffee and chocolate flavour with a light molasses and fig undertone that makes this a perfect beer to accompany a full English or An Ulster fry. Yum!!!

MF – The mouth feel is pretty full with low to medium carbon and a nice drying edge. The bitter linger is simply great for a Stout/Porter lover.

Overall – If you like Porter Stouts or simply prefer a Lap sang or Assam to a Chai then this beer will do it for you. As close to perfection in a Porter as I have come across it is not very complex but just straight up and down the line dark bitter and tasty. Try it and you will see what I mean!!!

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Warning: This beverage does not contain any tadpoles. That disappointment aside I am really looking forward to rating Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter, as I tried and reviewed their Oatmeal Stout quite recently (like today) and I found it to be, in the words of the great Bill and Ted; “Most excellent”. As I do have a preference for my beers thick (much like my gravies), an Oatmeal Stout is always going to win my charms with their charming charminess, so let’s find out if this Porter can also bring home the bacon and fry it in the pan... figuratively (literally would just be weird).

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Conducive to hard pouring these Sam Smith bottles - again I ended up with too much head [insert the classic Michael Scott catchphrase: “That’s what she said”] a big 1 inch tan head that dissipated to a thin lace on top. The body presents a deep dark hazy ruby red. TBH the Oatmeal Stout (hereto forth abbreviated as SOS) looked a bit tastier. 7/10.

S: More chocolate/coffee notes than the SOS, again with dark fruits lurking around like a bunch of punks in a nearby dark alley. Sweet molasses provides the base upon which this Porter is built. Rich, dark, formidable and (more importantly) an appetizing aroma that sits on par with the SOS. 8/10.

T: Again similar to the SOS but different enough to warrant its own existence. Whereas the SOS had a definite oat/coffee slant this Porter simply replaces oat notes with chocolate ones (both brews have a lingering background dark fruit, specifically plum, flourish). The molasses middle carries through to finish which is a light burnt bitter coffee. Still damn tasty but the SOS edges it slightly for me. 8/10.

M: Thinner than the medium bodied SOS (of course - there aren’t any oat starches in this brew to buff out its body) with a light carbonation. Good not great. 7/10.

D: Let’s face it - SOS was a hard brew to top - in fact I just went back and gave SOS some extra points in ‘drinkability’ so it would appear higher up in my ratings, ‘cause that’s how I roll yo. Overall I did like this Porter, it’s definitely got quite a bit going for it, but it couldn’t compete with the SOS for me. 8/10.

Food match: Roast beef, heavy gravy, vegetables (also roasted), seconds, wafer mint, cigar, death from over consumption - in that order.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I am such a New World honk, so if hardcore traditionalism is in your blood (or glass), you may wish to ignore this.

I love Porter. I know this is supposed to be the quintessential example of a true English Porter. And it is a lovely one. Deep brown, with reddish hues. Khaki head with staying power. A medium body mouthfeel that lets you know this isn't stout. ENough malty backbone to let you know that it isn't just some dark ale either. A perfect blend of roasty and malty sweet with a little hop pop in the back and a thinner consistency. I love Porter.

I really liked this one. A little too drinkable to me. A bit thin in the flavor arena (my New World bias and San Diego upbringing clouding my judgement?). Everything I look for in a Porter, just more subtle and lighter. I do not dispute the high marks given by others as this is the benchmark brew, but for those with my disposition a fair warning about subtlety.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours almost black with a thin dark ruby cast along the edges. Outstanding head volume, world class retention and lacing.

Light nose of dark fruit (plum, fig), with just hints of coffee, prune and chocolate.

Light medium body with a smooth texture. Above normal carbonation with a light prickly effervescence from the middle on.

The flavor profile is good, with reasonable intensity, complexity and balance. It begins with a blended flavor that is tart and separates into light notes of roast and coffee and just a hint of chocolate. The middle introduces a slight sweetness underneath. As the sweetness fades, dark fruit is present.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] Pours a dark brown color - no light penetration that I can see. The beer pours with a creamy tan head. Just under 1 finger of head. the head recedes pretty quickly. The beer leaves nice arcs of lace when tipped in the glass. The bottle has a date code (boo!) and it says the beer is almost 1 year old (also boo). The ABV is not listed on the bottle.

S: [3.00] Very pronounced dark fruit.

T: [2.75] I get the dark fruit on the start - but then the firish is roasted malt. There is also a "salty" taste in there. I can't describe it any better. Salty is not really a compliment.

M: [2.75] The beer is a little watery - but understandable for a low ABV. The carbonation level is low.

O: [2.75] I feel bad. The beer is a year old. I really like stuff from Samuel Smith and I think this didn't get a fair shake. That being said it is what it is.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

thin light tan head, dark brown
coffee, roasted grain,
chocolate, iced-coffee, acidic
very refreshing, lighter than i expected but it goes so nice with the tartness
got another one the next night so...

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The standard for a British Porter. The low ABV makes this the sort of session beer drunk by the market traders of old.

Warming, satisfying and a wonderful flavour.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Was a bit underwhelmed, but may be adjusting to the difference between English Porter and American Porter. Didn't detect much flavor or complexity in the taste and left not much of a mouthfeel.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L: Looks great dark rich brown color. Has a slight head left over after pouring into cup.

S: Smells good lol.

T: The taste is good.. Well better than good just don't have the right word to use for it. I'm still a rookie but I guess I'm starting to learn the difference between English porter and American Porter. I prefer American at the current moment till proven otherwise. It is still a well put together beer.

F: This beer does the job makes me feels good. Quality brewing.

O: Its a little pricey for a 4 pack in my area in Hawaii but I feel lucky to try a world class beer such as this one. Not my favorite but if I ever feel like it I'll get another pack of this beer. Can't wait to try there other types that they make.

4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An excellent porter. Really about the standard by which porter could be judged.

Dark black color with very fine tan head.

Malty, bitter flavor, hints of coffee.

Moderate mouthfeel, not at all heavy. Not a session beer, but much more so than most of what I choose.

Long subtle finish of coffee, hints of toffee.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured jet black into tapered pub glass, 1 in creme colored head, smells like warm brown sugar, super smooth chocolate taste up front with a nice lightly carbonated malt fig on the back end. Super solid beer. I will definitely be drinking this one again.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Extremely dark brown, almost black, not allowing any light to penetrate. Head is cake-like and tannish. Aroma has hints of chocolate, some light coffee, dark fruits and sweet malt. Taste is a little lighter than I expected, with flavors of raisins, dates, figs and a touch of coffee in the finish. Overall, feels good on the palate, no alcohol burn(of course its only 5.00 ABV). Was thinking it was going to be a little more bold and bitter, but overall, a great sessionable porter with a decent balance..

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle to a snifter:

L: Dark brown with a very small, fast -falling light tan head.

S: Chocolate, toasty malts and caramel. Dark fruits.

T: Sharp, bright. Lots of coffee and chocolate up front. Malty. Light bitterness throughout..

F: Medium. Lighter than you'd expect from the smell and flavor.

O: Great beer! One of my favourites!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Smith pint glass. Moderate hand. No identifiable date, but stamped SF09N1.

A: Dark brown body with opaque black appearance in the glass. 1/2 finger of light mocha head. Average retention. Scant lacing.

S: Nuts, coffee, toffee, cacao. Faint smoke, earth. Brown sugar, molasses. Light port. Dark fruit.

T: Dry, tangy, roasted malts open with a touch of English hops developing mid-way. Finishes dry with lingering toasted bread, nuts on the palate. Minimal alcohol presence.

M: Moderate carbonation with a medium body. Slightly pricklier than expected.

O: Solid porter with quality malt notes. A certain pleasant dryness. Good all-around performer and pretty straight shooter. Very easy drinking and great session porter.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)