Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,267 | Hads: 2,825
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Another quality brew from one of the great breweries in the world. Not quite in the class of the Fuller's porter, but right up there with any of the others. Pours a huge, foamy head, with good retention and some lace. Smooth, cherry like flavor. Relatively thin body, good drinkability. Very little bitterness. Excellent with food. A pleasure to drink any time I've had it, as is the case with all of Samuel Smith's beers (and I've yet to be skunked).

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

This monster pours like a stout, chugging into the glass, a deep mahogany, with a huge foamy soapy combo for a head, lacing incredible throughout. Burnt coffee and chocolate on the nose. Sweet caramel and some chocolate notes up front, very rich and medium to full bodied. Deep roasted malts and coffee beans noted in the body, some light acidity and bitterness come full circle. Flavorful, rich and complex, superb evening drink. What a great beverage, well done by the S.S. team, this is one top-notch porter!

12 oz bottle. Poured a deep black, with a large frothy chocolate head that slowly receded to a fine ring, losts of sticky lace on the glass. Aroma reminds me of Harvey's Bristol Cream Sherry. Taste is of roasted malt, and again of the Sherry, with some smokey hints. Very good balance of flavor, creamy mouthfeel, and good carbonation. I had this one other time and didn't think much of it. But as I have sampled other beers, and have taught my palate what good beer is, this porter is one I can really enjoy!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Deep and opaque mahogany brown color with a large caramel-colored cloud top head, which exhibits superb retention. Sheets of fine carbonation slowly rise to the surface. The lacing coats the glass walls in thick and all but unbroken sheets.

Aroma: Rich aroma of dark fruits, bitter chocolate, caramel, molasses, and alcohol

Taste: Begins with coffee, bitter cocoa, and dark malt. Towards the middle of the taste, strong dark fruit notes appear. Finishes with mildly bitter hops, toasted malt, and a note of sweet alcohol.

Mouth feel: Lavishly rich, full, and creamy, a consistency similar to that of whole milk, simply excellent.

Drinkability/notes: A beer so superb that it is difficult to justify with mere words, it is quite worthy of its relatively high price. Surely one of the finest porters and finest beers in the world. I would note that this beer is probably best enjoyed in cooler weather that normally found in Texas during the month of June.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Such a dubious, jack-of-many-flavours the porter style has been over the ages, yet Samuel Smith nails an exemplar right on the head. A thick creamy head at that.

A deep black hue, I was only able to pick up a nimbus of rich red oak near the bottom, and wafer thin on the sides when I held it up to the window. Like a blanket in a bottle waiting to hug you from the inside. There is a fantastic deep aroma of roasted malts, coffee, and a slight hint of chocolate found in the nose. The roast malt flavour is robust with a slight coffee bitterness followed by a sweet aftertaste. A very creamy mouthfeel, it's heavy but not overly thick. Like baby bear's porridge--just right. Plus it left a big frothy lace all the way down the glass, as to not be forgotten once all was said and done.

It's only spring now, but I long for those cold northern winter nights so a couple bottles of this can keep me warm and satisfied.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

This was a decent porter from Sam Smiths. It poured a dark brown, almost black, colour with a nice brown head. The aromas were of chocolate and coffee and the taste was more of the same. There were some hops present in the flavor of this porter as well. The mouthfeel was a bit thin, spirtzy and soda-like for a porter but the drinkability was very high, none-the-less!

4.11/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark, opaque reddish-brown. A light tan head starts out a full two fingers thick and exhibits good retention and lacing.

Smell: Subtle and soft aroma of buttery diacytel, faint roasted grains, and a hint of green hops.

Taste: A bit stiff with a fair amount of caramel and buttery diacytel. The slightly bitter, roasted grain flavor is in the background and it adds an acidic undercurrent as well as a small amount of harshness. There's a touch of green hops, but they're restrained and mellow. A bit of alcohol on the tail end. Thin, lingering roasted aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with a sharp, dry mouthfeel that's a bit prickly on the tongue.

Drinkability: Pretty good for the style. Due to the somewhat harsh, bitter undercurrent, I don't think I could drink it all night. However, it is a classic that never fails to please. This was probably the freshest bottle I've ever had of it...

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A black robe reveals mahogany highlights at the base; and around the sides when held to the light. Its rocky tan head holds exceptionally well to start; and it maintains a thin, creamy surface covering throughout the pint. The nose displays caramel, fruit and soft buttery diacetyl. The body is medium/light with a very fine carbonation that leaves it lightly creamy and soft in the mouth; and very smooth across the palate. The flavor reflects the nose with mildly sweet caramel; fruit that's a touch winey with red grape, raisins, and berries; milk chocolate; and some rounding buttery diacetyl backed by a solid bitterness. What's not to like? It finishes dry with a residual note of fruity caramel and light butter. Very well done with quite a bit of finesse - light but complex! Absolutely enjoyed best at cellar temperature!

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours thick and dark with a nice brown head that disappeared a bit too quickly. Smell is malty with a bit of a burnt aroma and just a hint of chocolate and coffee.

The taste immediately hits you with the burnt flavor and then finishes with a bit of the coffee taste and some hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is not bad, but it has a bit too much carbonation for a beer this dark and it finishes off too dry.

Not a bad beer, but not that good of a beer either. It is worth a try, but not one that I will be drinking regularly.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

This is one damn fine beer! The best thing, is that it's really not that expensive. $3.50 a bottle, and the bottle is pretty good size to it. The color was a beautiful dark color. It reminded me of the nights in rural northwest PA, where my nearest neighbor was a mile away. There was a bit of a head to it, but it died down to a thin laceing. The smell was that of a roasted coffee. The smell was somewhat similar to a coffee, mixede with an alcoholy taste, mixed with a little bit of a choclate taste. I say got for it!!!!!!

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured black with a thick, off-white, foamy head. A dark, deep red tint was apparent as I held the glass to the light. The foam subsided after a few minutes, lacing the glass nicely along the way. The aroma was the distinct, subtle scent of dark chocolate with a pleasant hint of smoke. The taste was the same; creamy, smooth, slightly smoky with a wonderful mild hop finish. The syrupy thickness and sweet, creamy mouthfeel were a perfect combination for this great beer. Truly a wonderful Porter. Hats off to another great product from Sam Smiths!!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a dark brown, almost black with a slight tinge of red along the bottom and sides of the glass. Thick creamy head, receding relatively slowly, leaving lace along the sides of the glass. The aroma is almost like a mixture of coffee and dark chocolate, very inviting. It buzzes lightly on the tip and sides of the tongue, finishing dry. I was left salivating for another sip. A very light coffee taste is left behind, but overall very smooth. Doesn't finish too light or too heavy. Certainly a beer to be savored and enjoyed, not to pound back during the game.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours black, with slight ruby highlights. It forms a light brown, creamy head with good lacing. The aroma is milk chocolatey, roasty, and coffee-like. It has flavors of milk chocolate, with roasted malts and coffee notes. It has excellent mouthfeel. It is silky, creamy, and almost oily/buttery. It is a very smooth, easy drinking beer. I am a big fan of porters, and this one is a very tasty one.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Another home run from Samuel Smith. These are expensive in
B.C. $5.50 a bottle but worth it for a special tasting. The burnt
caramel nose is matched with the black colour and big storm
tossed head. I enjoyed the balanced mid body and the chocolatey
dry finish. This is not a huge porter but rather a well made one that
deserves a good food match.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This pours out with a deep tan thick head that falls upon deep dark brownish-red liquid, gently carbonated at that. Nose is the typical Sam Smith aroma, very low level of diacetyl mixed with their strain of yeast fruitiness, a little toffee, a little roasty maltiness...all good! Taste is very distinctive, a mix of roasted malt, light coffee tones, fruitiness followed by a just-there hop bitterness. Finishes up dry and delicious, long and smooth...very satisfying, one of the most distinctive examples of the style. Not a "big" Porter, but one tasty ale!

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance = opaque black with mahogony highlights. Thick tan head, low carbonation.

Smell = mocha notes (coffee & chocolate)

Taste = The mocha follows thru from the aroma, roasted malt with a chocolate flavor, a little bit of 'burnt toast/dark roasted coffee' flavor. Hops in balance. Medium creamy mouthfeel.

Great tasting porter, I wish I had a piece of Chocolate cake to go with it.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This is an exceptionally smooth and easy drinking Porter. Pours a dark brown color with a slight ruby hue. A thick and creamy tan head initially presents itself and then fades into a nice lace. Aromas of malt and coffee are detected with a hint of chocolate lingering in the background. Taste is full of roasted malt, chocolate, and molasses, with just the slightest touch of fruitiness. This is a nice medium-bodied creamy porter. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

I got a bottle of this from my local beer distributor, it was the usual 550 ml. clear Samuel Smith bottle.

It poured black, dark reddish-brown when held to the light, with a huge tan head that hung around for a bit, then departed for wispy lace pastures. The aroma reminded me of cola and malt.

The taste started out with a trip to sweet malt land, by way of the well-balanced bitter hops road. We took several side trips to cola, tobacco, sulfur, and leather. As things got warmer, we also visited grape and port wine.
Traffic on the mouthfeel expressway was thin and watery, with light carbonation.

As we finished our trip, the weather was dry and dusty, with a tang of metal.

This was a really great, fun trip, with a complex itinerary, one that I'd travel again...

(I think I've been reading fellow BA Cokes' reviews too much, he's starting to rub off on me! Thanks for the inspiration, Cokes!)

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance: This was a deep red, almost black beer that had a tan, three-finger head. It sunk down slowly, becoming nice and pillowy in the process. A moderate amount of lace was deposited on the side of the glass.

Smell: There were aromas of sweet chocolate, malted milk, coffee, and raisins. There was a light smokiness that hung over the top of all of these. Complex and very nice.

Mouthfeel: This was a very smooth beer with a light carbonation on the tongue, but it was too light bodied. I was expecting something much heavier.

Taste: While I don't think that the taste of this brew was nearly as deep and complex as its aroma, it was still good. There were light chocolate roasted malt flavors upfront that blended well into a hops bitterness. The finish was a combonation of plum, smoke, and a continuation of the hops.

Overall, this beer was okay. I don't think that the flavor of this brew lived up to the expectations caused by its appearance and wonderfully complex aroma.

2.96/5  rDev -28.7%

Since I love Porters I was excited to bring this home and enjpy it with my fav cigar. I was dissapointed. I liked the pour and the head was very nice, leaving some lace, but the taste left me empty. It had hardly a mouthfeel to it so I suppose I'm being genorous in my rating, hardly any of the "chewiness" I'm used to in Porters. Would I drink again? If handed to me yes, but to buy it? Nope.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

I was anxious to try to Taddy Porter. It may sound odd but since I visited England in the early 80's and since I learned that my ancestors are from Yorkshire, I really feel an affinity for most things Yorkshire. And so I continued my quest for knowledge.

The Taddy Porter poured a DARK brown, nearly black. No light will penetrate this beer! The head was moderately frothy and only slightly dissipated in the couple of minutes I waited to taste.

The aroma was relatively mild. I could smell the malt, which was a good sign. I was intrigued, which is exactly what I look for when I smell my beer.

Sometimes, I wonder if the sight of a beer in glass creates a bias when I taste. I am not aware of one but I thought I’d taste this beer with my eyes closed. Sure, I’d seen the beer already but hey, I never pass up an opportunity to make a fool of myself.

Upon first taste of the dark liquid, (I assumed it was dark, I had my eyes closed) I noticed a pronounced sweet molasses/malt flavor. The beer was slightly dry with very good carbonation. This helps the drinkability for me as it tickles the tongue. Hey...I love the tongue tickling!

The beer did not weigh heavy, which surprised me, but I was looking for a more overt taste of alcohol. That’s not a criticism, really, because the flavor was good.

Overall, this is a very good porter. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to close their eyes and drift away to Northern England.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

bought this in the old style1pt.2.7 oz bottle( clear glass) gold foil round neck.
This is a marvelous beer to behold deep dark dark brown almost black with a large smooth off white head which is still clinging on minutes later..great
Scent is very malty ..with a slight coffee smell also.
Taste is surprisingly "thin" but a good bitterness on the back of the tongue..again dark roast black coffee is in there somehow !
Feels just grand in the mouth quite smooth surprisingly/
Altogether one of the most drinkable Porters i have had the pleasure to meet!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This was the first porter I've tried and I thought it was pretty good. A very dark brown almost black with a great head that lasted through the whole experience. Smell is of coffee and roasted malts. The coffee comes back in the taste with a little bit of chocolate. There is a little bit of fruitiness as well, mostly in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel was a little thin for what I was expecting, but it was not bad. The brew was not as filling as I thought it would be but that is a good thing. Overall, a solid brew.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

A hard pour brings a beautiful, delicious cocoa-colored head with tiny tightly beaded bubbles and a very creamy texture. Color is opaque dark, dark brown to black with ruby red hints when held to the light. The nose is fruity and roasty with notes of cocoa powder, coffee, kalamata olives, and alcohol. At palate entry, cedary and fruity (almost citrus) hops, followed by roasted malt sweetness and an oakey earthiness. A nice, creamy mouthfeel throughout. The finish is tart and dry. A very smooth and characterful porter from one of the world's great breweries.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Well, I tried my two-year-old bottle first and it was just plain bad, but this fresh bottle is something all together different. Wow!

It poured dark brown/black with a hint of garnet. A light brown head rose and as it receded to a thin layer on top of the liquid, it left behind nice patterns on the glass.

It smelled of roasted malts with a slight air of chocolate. Upon tasting, I met a smooth, almost silky texture, which had a stronger chocolate taste than I expected, although I did like it very much.

It possessed a rich full body and left behind a chocolate aftertaste with a hint of unsweetened coffee.

This definitely a porter I WILL purchase and drink again.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)