Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
rdub

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from the gold foil topped bottle to my favorite snifter. Black appearance with a nice two finger tan head. Malty toasty smell and coffee roasted flavor. I liked reading a previous poster say campfire which is the word I was looking for. In a good way. Mouthfeel was medium. Light carbonation. Dangerously easy drinking.

11-19-2009 02:45:32 | More by rdub
jbowers56

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

very dark brown colour. fairly large head which settles in to a thin layer that lasts throughout.

smell is fairly malty. I get chocolate and coffee. No suprises there.

Sweet butterscotchish malt flavour cuts through the usual porter coffee like flavour. A little bit of acidity lifts the pallate after the initial taste.

Perhaps a bit thinner in the mouth than I had expected with slightly more carbonation. Good though. Very smooth despite the carbonation.

Drinkability is hard to fault. Like many english beers I could put away far too many of these without really worrying about it.

11-18-2009 08:42:27 | More by jbowers56
CrazyDavros

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours dark brown with a large, persistent off-white head.
Aroma shows a fair whack of roasted malt with some dark chocolate and nutty notes. Some diacetyl still manages to show. There's also quite a bit of grainy-ness in there which I'm not a fan off.
Flavours are quite similar to the aromas, with mildly roasted malt and nutty notes. Hint of liquorice and burnt toast shine through. Thankfully there's none of that grainy malt found in the aroma.
Carbonation is quite prickly, something I don't like in porters and stouts.

11-16-2009 10:01:50 | More by CrazyDavros
yuriruley

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

**edit finally tried this again and it would appear my first bottle was indeed a bad bottle.

Appearance - Dark nice looking tan/brownish head.

Smell - roasted malts, and chocolatey smell.

Taste - slight roasted flavor, I felt like it had pretty subtle flavors, but still good overall.

Mouthfeel/Drink - it did have a decent mouthfeel and creaminess too it.

Decent beer despite my first bottle being ruined. It is very drinkable and quite enjoyable. After I drank about half the bottle I finished the rest while eating some good ham, I found the combo quite delicious.

11-16-2009 01:59:40 | More by yuriruley
Riccymon

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours from the bottle a dark, dark brown with about three fingers of brown head; gorgeous-looking beer with lacing clinging to the pint glass. Tasty, complex nose that American porters don't usually pull off-- molasses, brown sugar, and campfire.

Taste includes the flavors from the nose, plus pale and caramel malts and a new dimension of light smokey peat notes. It's been a while since a beer brought to mind so many flavors.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, but I think I was expecting the body of an American porter rather than that of an English porter. Sips smoothly, however, with a slightly sour, sticky finish that brings out just a touch of hops.

So easy to drink... I sought a hearty porter, and while this wasn't it, Taddy Porter was a great beer.

11-15-2009 18:19:50 | More by Riccymon
Bajasith

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured this very dark beer in a pilsner glass... Nice creamy two finger head to go with nice dark color.
Smell/Taste: Aroma was that of dark whipped chocolate, almost like fondue and the taste to go with it. Loved that creamy feel with slight sweet taste at the end.
Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Very balanced flavors with no overpowering aftertaste. Could have one after another.

11-15-2009 00:55:33 | More by Bajasith
yourefragile

District of Columbia

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

550 mL gold foil topped bottle.

Mostly opaque, but clear dark brown color with rub highlights with a thick, creamy light tan head that has little retention or lacing. Aroma is sweet and creamy, prominently features milk chocolate, cocoa, roast malt notes but overall mild. Medium bodied with smooth, light carbonation and a slightly bitter, cloying aftertaste that ends quickly and is slightly watery. Flavor is pleasant, balance of chocolate/malt sweetness and mild dark fruit bitterness, but overall the slightly thin mouthfeel and short finish detracts from the fullness of the flavor. I don't know, I hoped for more from this, not a bad porter but not exceptional like anticipated.

11-13-2009 01:22:36 | More by yourefragile
erz316

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

bottle into sam smith pint glass

a very heady beer, just like that oatmeal stout I just had. the head is a great colour, like a beige or desert tan, maybe a light chocolate milk colour. it is incredibly creamy and delicious. the body is a deep ruby brown, and lets light barely through the middle. the nose is fine for a porter, could have more coffee and malts, and could be stronger. the taste, however, is exceptional. deep dark roasted malts, traces of coffee and caramel, a touch of what I would call booze, something slightly sharp, and a miniscule tinge of sour. the feel is quite thin, even with the big carbonation. but this, however, coupled with the taste makes the brew incredibly drinkable and a great session beer.

11-11-2009 22:24:19 | More by erz316
Macca

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

This pours a dark brown with a generous beige head.

It doesn't have the generous aromas that I was expecting. Just a hint of milk chocolate and maybe a little bit of coffee.

Both the chocolate and the coffee come through a lot more on the palate. I can sort of get the fig thing that others write about.

Wonderful creaminess in the mouthfeel.

A good beer but why do I always feel let down by porters? It's probably that I just don't understand them properly I suppose.

11-08-2009 11:49:24 | More by Macca
berkey

4.22/5  rDev +1%

550 ml bottle poured into a stemmed pint glasss. From 10/29/09 notes.

Pours a dark chocolate color with a large khaki head of loose bubbles. Head retention and lacing are both very nice.

Aromas are of chocolate, nuts, something mildly lactic, and a faint roasted malt character. Very clean overall.

More of the same on the entry. Homemade chocolate milkshake. Some mild diacytel here and very faint herbal bitter hoppy chararcter in the aftertaste. Cocoa comes out much more as it warms along with a subtle roasted malt flavor in the finish.

Very clean drinking, lightly carbonated. Can't remember the last time I got through a 550 so fast. Drinkability is very high.

This clean and easy drinking beer was the perfect thing for my heartburn the other night. This was an old time go to before I was even really into craft beer and it had been way too long since I tried it. I remember drinking this out of the bottle in a brown bag while walking around San Francisco when I was 21 and loving it. Now that I know enough to give this inconic brew proper respect I enjoy it even more.

10-31-2009 19:49:58 | More by berkey
askantik

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Whoa...

A: Freakin' black as my heart with a big tan head and lots of lacing. I really do think dark beers are the nicest to behold.

S: It smells like a tiny bit of chocolate syrup spread on a piece of warm toast. Mmm.

T: I didn't detect that much coffee as some did, but the chocolate balances perfectly with the malt. It's freakin' amazing. You know when you have dark, bitter chocolate and you let it melt in your mouth and the aftertaste is still there 10 minutes later? That's this beer. AWESOME.

M: I hate when a good tasting beer is over-carbonated. But this one is pretty well done with the CO2. Feels nice.

D: I'm impressed. I really like Sam Smith's Imperial stout, too, though. I suppose this is probably a more drinkable beer than the IS if only for the ABV (the IS is a 7%). I'd take either one again in a heart beat.

A good brew, for sure. I wish Sam Smith was available in 6 packs. Also, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you liked this, try the Imperial Stout (or vice versa). Freakin' nice!!

10-26-2009 21:52:13 | More by askantik
richago1

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle to my favorite old Bass dimpled made in England mug.Poured a dark brown with a thick foamy taupe head and good lacing.Light aroma of chocolate and coffee nothing too strong though.Taste is wonderful mostly of bitter chocolate with some coffee. Feels smooth and clean with a slight bitter finish. Drinkability is fantastic I could drink this all night without a problem. Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter was the first porter I ever tried and I am finding it hard to beat.

10-22-2009 00:31:48 | More by richago1
jbertsch

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A classic porter...

Pitch black with a good sized tan head that forms quickly and leaves beautiful lacing.

Aroma is not overpowering. In fact I have to a deep breath to recognize its characteristics. I think it's hard to decipher the aromas because it's so well balanced. There are faint chocolate and coffee bean notes, but they're minor and this is by no means a desert porter.

I taste hops, light malts, and oats. There's a moderately bitter finish. The taste is exquisitely balanced.

Creamy mouthfeel, but still not too heavy. You can easily have more than one. Heck, I'm on my 2nd already.

The overall sensation this beer gives off reminds me of SS's oatmeal stout - you can definitely tell the two beers are siblings.

10-21-2009 01:03:23 | More by jbertsch
webmanspidey

550 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Thick, dark, and creamy with a solid inch of tan head. The smell mostly reminds me of semisweet dark chocolate. The flavor has a bit of the dark chocolate as well but is hindered by a strong metallic aftertaste. Still, a pretty mellow and smooth beer with some other hints of vanilla and nuttiness. Mouthfeel is creamy, perfect for this style. Excellent drinkability for a stout.

10-18-2009 04:37:55 | More by webmanspidey
ujsplace

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured into a over sized pint glass.

A: Very dark, nearly black in appearance. Thick, billowing head that leaves nice lacing.

S: Roasted malt, faint chocolate and faint coffee.

T: Mildly roasted coffee, bitter chocolate, mildly malted hellaciously well balanced.

M: Medium, creamy and smooth as silk.

D: Well, this is absolutely drinkable by nearly everyone who likes beer. May very well be the best porter I have had to date...

10-17-2009 23:17:43 | More by ujsplace
PapaEugene

Netherlands

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

I was lucky. De Vlaamse Reus in Wageningen managed to get their hands on some Sam Smith classics. I chose the Taddy Porter just to stay away from their Barley Wine and Imperial Stout for once.

A: Black but saw some dark ruby shining once it came close to the candle. One finger thick light brown head.

S: Roasted malts, slight caramel, chocolate and some red fruits.

T: GREAT. Dark roasted malts, notes of cacoa and a bit of coffee. Some citrus and woody bitterness in the aftertaste. All in a great balance and natural occurence.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation and a nice silky mouthfeel.

D: Another great natural Samuel Smith. Great taste without adding chocolate or coffee... with Sam Smith they come naturally and in perfect balance.

10-16-2009 17:45:07 | More by PapaEugene
Blitzstyle

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Nice head bout a incha nd a half thick. Good lacing around the glass when swirled.

Faint hint of coffee and a little chocolate to the nose.

Coffe and chocolate to the taste very suddle. Some bread qualities as well, also the alcohol is present.

Medium body thought it would be thicker considering how classic Sam Smith is.

Could really enjoy a couple of these in a sitting but sadly had to move on.

10-15-2009 13:35:43 | More by Blitzstyle
Mayhem976

Colorado

A- When I went to pour this I was surprised how thin the body was, I usually tend to shy away from porters that are not thick and robust. With that said, the body was thin but black and had a good head with almost zero lacing.

B- I pick up a slight trace of malts and coffee.

T- Very surprised, upon pouring I wasn't expecting much. As the porter hits your palette you get that familiar English thin watery taste/body and that's when it happens, you get hit with an impressive amount of coffee and chocolate notes. I would have never guessed they could pack so much punch.

M- Thin and watery.

D- Very high on the drinkability scale! Delicious, practical, and for under 3 dollars a bomber, I'll be buying this again for sure!

10-12-2009 15:50:16 | More by Mayhem976
stakem

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a bubbly tanned head that receeds slowly leaving quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Smells of chocolate evident with a strangely similar aura about it just reminding me of other sammy smith products. Also picking up on some light malt sweetness in the nose as well. Taste is just as good. Chocolate immediately evident along the rich smoothness and ever so slightly bitter finish. Very clean, slightly lingering tastes of chocolate and burnt grains. Medium feel with low carb. Overall a solid product that is very enjoyable.

10-09-2009 00:53:19 | More by stakem
three1six

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Very dark brown with a tan 2 finger head. Nice lacing on the sides.

S - Faint chocolate and a bit of a bready smell with a hint of coffee.

T - Light coffee and a slight taste of chocolate. Slightly bitter with a hint of alcohol, but not overpowering in any way.

M - Had a Medium Bodied mouth feel too it. Would have liked it a little thicker, but still good nonetheless.

D - Could definitely put down a few of these at a time. Kinda pissed that I only got one....for now

10-08-2009 22:21:38 | More by three1six
jt31914

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers head - very dark brown; no carbonation rising.

S: Faint chocolate and alcohol smell.

T: Strong alcohol; no dark malt taste and not really robust in any way - this beer really tastes just like every other Samuel Smith beer to me, which is why it's not my favorite. I wish the brewery would do something different because this tastes just like the nut brown to me.

M: Light, airy and foamy.

D: Average.

This beer didn't taste bad, it just didn't really taste like a porter to me - it tasted like every sam smith beer - faint alcohol and a few other faint flavors on the side. I am disappointed.

10-08-2009 18:30:42 | More by jt31914
Mavajo

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass - didn't have a pint glass on hand.

This was my first porter, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Poured a dark brown color with a light brown head. Head fades quickly.

The nose wasn't revealing much. Maybe it was me. I caught slight hints of chocolate/coffee. Wasn't overly impressed. The taste reflected the smell, but it was a bit easier to pick up on - again, chocolate taste here. No real bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light - I don't think you could categorize it as much more than medium bodied. Fair amount of carbonation, but it wasn't offensive or distracting. To be honest, it almost felt a bit watery to me.

All in all, I've reviewed this beer as I experienced it. From reading the other reviews, mine seems to differ a bit and I wonder if there wasn't some other variable at play. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, but for now, this is as I experienced it. All in all a fairly solid beer, but not really thrilled in the least.

10-06-2009 02:44:42 | More by Mavajo
moebeer385

Arizona

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

A fantastic beer that makes me wish I had bought more. Poured and drank from a standard beer mug.

A- Great pour, thick tan head with decent lacing on the glass. almost completely opaque with a slight maroon glow through it.

S- Rich and dark, Can almost imagine a charred oak barrel aging away.

T- As good as it smells and looks. Oak aged flavors give way to a hint of chocolate and roasted barley, yet end on a fairly light note.

M- Not as thick as I had expected with the pour. Definitely was not lacking in carbonation though, maybe a little too much.

D- Seemed the more I drank of this one the more I wished it was a bottomless glass. Sam Smith got it right with this one.

10-02-2009 21:02:38 | More by moebeer385
Finkel

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

When poured out, The Famous Taddy Porter is very dark, purple/brown color. With very little head retention and no obvious carbonation, I got bored looking at it very, very quickly.

The nose of the beer was decent - smokey with prunes and hints of sweet toffee. Nevertheless, the aromas were simple and distinguishable, which is good in my book.

This beer had a creamy, expanding mouthfeel that exploded in my mouth (oh innuendo). Once I got past the mouth feel I was able to calm down and distinguish tastes: bitter hops, a light non-overpowering coffee flavor, and malts. This beer was very warming and was extremely drinkable.

Overall, this beer way overcompensated for its faults with it's taste and mouth feel. I was immediately sad that I only had one of these lying around and will need to go get another one at some point.

09-30-2009 14:24:39 | More by Finkel
PartyBear

United Kingdom (England)

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Black body, tan head, the perfect looking porter. No visible carbonation.

Aroma: Roasted malts, liquorish, earth brown malts, and light coffee. There are sweet undertonesof toffee, and chocolate. Lots of rich iron-like aroma.

Taste: Dark slightly bitter malts at the top, providing espresso, smokey peat, and cocoa flavours. It has really whiskey-like qualities with an oaky taste, and peat - really had the feel of something that has been barrel aged. The finish is balanced and bitter, giving impressions of bitter dark chocolate, and smokey coffee.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, and as heavy as they come. Silky smooth feel.

Drinkability: Like everything else that Samuel smith's produce, this is truly magnificent, a really classic porter, they way they are meant to be.

09-28-2009 22:08:41 | More by PartyBear
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)