Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Its like meeting an old friend. When I was in college I drank Taddy Porter at least once a week, generally as a reward to get me through a paper. Now several years later I realized I haven't had one in a long time, and as I pour it I wonder what took me so long. It is just a few shades shy of black, giving a slight ruby color around the edge when held to the light. The head is a pillowy tan that slowly drops down, but never less then a quarter inch that leaves some nice lacing. It is truly a beautiful brew. The smell is of chocolatey malts and coffee. The taste is exceptional. Roasted coffee and slightly bitter chocolate with a slight bite I assume is from the roasted malt. It has a satisfyingly rich mouthfeel without being heavy at all. You could drink this one all night and not feel full. This is one of those beers that to me sets the tone of a style. Whenever I drink english style porter, I measure it against this yardstick.

Note: Last a drank a Sammy Smith's it came in a clear glass bottle, this one is brown. I don't know when they changed but I am glad they did.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stemmed pub glass.

Appearance - Near pitch, slight brown/red hue. Beautiful tan colored head, fluffy and thick. Great lacing the whole way down.

Smell - Fruit cake, dark plum, ginger, brown sugar, maple syrup, baked bread, chocolate, coffee...pretty much a symphony!

Taste - Bold, brilliant! Hearty mocha/carmel sweetness held in check with touches of tangy dried fruit and bitter sweet chocolate. Fine roasted coffee bitterness on finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect carbonation, good weight, smoothed out like single malt scotch.

Drinkability- I could drink this beer everyday from fall till spring. Could also be a dessert beer. But it's not overly heavy. Leaves you looking forward to another soon.

Has become one of my top three beers of all time!

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass. The beer looks black at first glance, but when held to light there is some clear brown shining through the bottom of the glass. Head grew to over 3 fingers, was light tan, and had excellent retention.

Smell: Thick smell of molasses, brown sugar, milk chocolate, and roasted coffee. Excellent malty complexity throughou the aroma, which lingers for a while in the nose.

Taste: Introduction is slightly watery, but the beer is full of flavor. Nice, big malty profile that is primarily roasted coffee, but also has a nice creamy chocolate flavor. Finish is nice and smooth with a lingering black coffee note.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A black beer with ruby/amber highlights. Clear but only visible if a 500 watt bulb was behind it. Beige brown head that stays throughout the duration of the beer. Looks like its made up of tiny bubbles giving the head a creamy look.

Smell is of burnt or roasted malts and dark fruits. Very nice and smooth but it could be a little more potent.

Taste is sweet and creamy. A buttery flavor and mouthfeel but behind a deep roasted malt flavor. This beer is sweet but kind of milky sweet, not overpowering and very refreshing.

A damn fine beer. The diacetyl, buttery mouthfeel and taste compliments the porter flavors very well. Its smooth, refreshing and flows easily down the throat. Very nice!

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.
A: Dark, almost completely opaque but with deep red hues.
S: Very malty smell, with a hint of alcohol, suggests that this porter does not mess around when it comes to naming itself "famous"
T: Malty, with dark roasted barley, a strong woody flavor (oak, maybe cherry wood) and a hint of dark chocolate.
M: light carbonation, very smooth for such a bitter taste. IT lingers for a while towards the tip of the tongue where the oaky flavor develops.
D: This is one of the best porters I've ever had. By far the best English Porter import. I've never been able to drink more than a few porters and I'm glad because I start to lose the distinction of flavor.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Found this at the Brewhaus Springfield,IL

A-deep and dark brown with some cherry highlights when held to the light,a super thick rootbeer float looking head leaves behind tons of sticky lacing

S-dark chocolate,roasted caramel malts are borderline nutty,some major aromas of premium bold coffee

T-I feel like I just packed my mouth full of chocolate covered coffee beans and rasinetts,this Porter has a lot of character and is near perfectly balanced with sweet fruity malts and earthy hops in abundance

M-medium body and low carbonation,creamy and soft

D-this is a stand alone porter that deserves to be revisited in short order

4.87/5  rDev +16.5%

Excellent. this is one of the best porters that i have had. pours black in the glass. decent head. smells of smoked chocolate. excellent rich taste of chocolate and caramel. rich but not overly so, smooth and refreshing. therefore by name easier to drink than a stout.

very much recommended!

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

4.85/5  rDev +16%

An old favorite revisited...black body with brown creamy quarter-inch head that leaves a flawless lacing...roasted coffee, rich toffee, smooth and smoky accents... creamy palate--unbelievably smooth and milky...the texture is as firm as it is lacey...mellow and natural, almost perfect in its proficiency....the reason I fell in love with beer tasting, selecting from the beer menu at Russell's in Bloomsburg nearly ten years ago....for those Strat fans out there, like finding a SUPREME defensive rating...if you only drink light lagers and the occasional green bottle, start (and end) with this one from the dark side...

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a nice dark red-brown with a short and thin off-white head that fades to a ring around the top of the beer. It laces the glass pretty well all the way down the glass. It smells of very faint chocolate and coffee and roasted malts. The taste is really good as well. It tastes of the same as the nose with some hoppy bitterness in the middle of it that rounds it off very well. It tastes of sweet roasted malt, some chocolate, then some hoppy bitter taste, and then finally a caramel flavor that is really nice. The mouthfeel is very smooth and clean which makes for a very drinkable porter. Definately worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Ugh, I'm a few days off of a nasty cold and I think I've finally got my sense of smell back. I have high hopes for this one.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Samuel Smith nonic pint a dark brown with crimson highlights. A light tan head forms on top and is modestly small in size. It drops quickly to an average collar and large bubbly patch.

SMELL: Nice strong aromas of bready caramels and roasty chocolates (does that make sense?) Some light feusels and esters round out the aroma profile.

TASTE: Dark chocolate and roasted grain dominate in this one. The middling caramel sweetness from the nose is absent in the taste, except maybe slightly on the finish. A subtle smokiness comes through as well. Most of the taste, however, is from the more bitter kilned malts. I must say though, that it's quite evident that this beer is exactly what it set out to be. Not a single detectable flaw.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied with a carbonation level that seems average though a bit lower wouldn't hurt.

DRINKABILITY: Very good drinkability is essentially inherent in English ales, and this is no different. 5% ABV is nothing too hard to handle, and I can imagine having another one of these.

Overall, this is definitely another winner from ol' Tadcaster. I recommend trying one for sure.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. This beer had a deep, dark brown hue and texture so thick you can't see through it. There was a decent head and good lacing.

This had a subtle smell, like most of Samuel Smith's beers. Malt, coffee and something I couldn't put my finger on.

Tasted of malt, coffee, chocolate, maybe some fruit. Complex, but didn't beat you over the head with it.

Nicely done carbonation and a dry finish made for a good, solid mouthfeel.

If you're into porters, this is a good beer to get. I only drink them but so often, but this is a good one. It has a nice taste and isn't overly heavy.

4.79/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours deep black with thin red edges. Nice thick tan head with small and large bubbles. Retention is less than stellar, but decent. Nice sheet lacing that reduces to a stringy sticky film.

Aroma is awesome. Sweet roasted chocolate malt & coffee.

Taste is sweet up front, which dissolves into a momentary hop bitterness, then more sweet caramel that lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is creamy with light carbonation. Medium body.

Overall a deliciously drinkable porter, definitely on the sweet side, but pretty well balanced. Just like I like 'em. If you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor. It's pricey, but worth the cash.

3.66/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours extreme dark brown/black with a good frothy tan head and good lacing

S- Smokey roasted malt, with a sweet hint of chocolate, and dried fruit.

T/M- Taste is much like the smell, only more intense especially in the dried fruit...

D- Porter is not my favorite but they are starting too grown on me. This was a good beer and very drinkable. I do not know if I would drink it with a meal, but before one as an appetizer or after as dessert would be great. I might get it again. The taste was a bit off fro me so I might choose another porter before this one, but I would not pass this one up if it was offered to me.

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 1" tan head with good retention & lacing. Near black body with red highlights.

S: Roasted malt with some chocolate and coffee. It's good, but it could be stronger.

T: Rich and roasty. Dark chocolate. Some caramel, some coffee, and a touch of hops as well. Good balance.

M: Just under medium bodied. Light to medium carbonation. Soft mouthfeel. Interesting finish - both buttery and tart.

D: Great porter - sessionable - well deserving of its fine reputation.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

550ml bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A- 1 finger of mocha head which fades to a crown, sitting atop a jet black body, minimal lacing.

S- Smokey, roasted malts, raisins and prunes, a faint creamy yoghurtyness.

T- Smokey in the beginning, lots of roasted malts, balances out well in the finish with a nice nuttiness with a little cream.

M- Medium carbonation, a touch watery.

D- As porters go this is nice, complex peaty smokey flavours balances well with a faint nuttiness in the finish. It reminds me of guiness when i first start drinking beer, a shock to the system with roasted bitterness in a session beer.

Just not a fan of the porter style though, i prefer a higher abv sipper such as an RIS when it comes to a complex smokey brew. I prefer the SS imperial stout and oatmeal stout(oatmeal stout for the lesser bitterness and increased nuttiness)

P.S paired this with a grilled frikadellen on a crusty roll, meat was a nice combo with the smokey roasted bitterness.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Pours with rocky mocha head. Some lacing.

Smell is is faint chocolate , not much else.

Nice malty flavor profile. Getting alot of dark bitter coffee flavors. Roasted malts do a nice job of keeping this from becoming sweet.

Light mouthfeel , good carbonation.

This is a nice session beer , packed with flavor.

4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

I'd always been curious about this beer, anything that claims to be famous is worth a try at least.

A: Poured a rich dark brown, almost black with dark red accents when held to the light. Thick tan head that subsided to about half an inch, nice and bubbly!

S: Smelled of faint chocolates, a sort of musty smell, kinda like an old bar, distinct English porter smell. All in all very delicious smelling. A little thin though, not too much but I expected a little more in the nose.

T: Chocolate up front, coffee bitterness in back, burnt malts, a little bit of hop bitterness. The malt characteristic really shows up in this one, but it doesn't detract from the balance, all in all a perfect flavor. Very complex and delicious.

M: Smooth and creamy, a little bit of carbonation and a lasting bitterness that hangs on the tongue for a while.

D: This is a slow drinker to say the least, but a very enjoyable and complex beer. Much better than the other English porters I've had. I could drink maybe two of the big 550ml bottles, but it'd take me a while because I'd savor them so much! Definitely one of my new favorite beers!

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

In lieu of giving a review that probably won't coincide with the majority of porter fans here, I'll just stick with my basic impressions of this beer.

First of all, this isn't my style of choice. I heard it was good and it's the first of this style of beer that I've ever had. Normally I go for anything Belgian, this was a bit of an adventure for me.

It poured black, and I mean really bloody black. Not much of a head, but it stuck around for awhile and there were some nice lace rings in the glass as I steadily knocked this bad boy down.

Taste and smell were a little foreign to me, maybe I bought some stuff that was pasturized or stored incorrectly, exposed to light, etc, whatever. It smelled and tasted good, but I really wasn't that big of a fan. I'll let other beer dudes talk about the various flavors and whatnot that came through with the beer.

Mouthfeel was again a little strange, I don't know how to quite describe it. The beer wasn't something that I immediately wanted to gulp down because of some overly bad quality, but I still had the urge to get the stuff out of my mouth and off my palate.

Drinkability was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. Not something I would go buy again.

Overall, the competence and talent of the brewers is apparent in this beer but it just wasn't for me. It was obviously well thought out and well made, I guess I'm just not a fan of this type of beer. Oh well.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A - Pours dark as night with a light chocolate head that is massive and had increadable retension that left behind one of the stickies laces. Increadable.

S - Deep rich and strong, toasted/burnt malts with a smokey burnt carmel and coffee that had a hint of chocolate, very decatant.

T - Just as it smells and then some, this is a serious dark brew, with a strong malt, carmel, chocolate and coffee mix. Very earthy and heavy.

M - Heavy bodied brew with lower carbonation gives a smooth long lasting finish.

D - fantasitic on a cold night, seasonal for me.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Clear glass bottle-I thought these were phased out??

Appearance: Stout-black, pale brown head. Little lacing on the glass.

Smell: Classic porter, dark musty malts, chocolaty. Slight maple tinge in there too.

Taste: Bittersweet chocolate, a slight yeasty flavour too.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodied and thick. Suitable for the dark character, this beer provides a substantial feel.

Drinkability: On draught this would go down really easy at the pub. At home, though, one is enough to sample and enjoy.

Overall: Great porter with a full body. Delivers on the hype.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

A: dark opaque chocolate color with a creamy light tan head.

S: big, rich chocolate nose, some roasted aroma and smokiness topped off with fresh coffee and a light dried fruitiness.

T: For flavor there was rich cocoa beans, dark rich chocolate and some dried cherries. Overall a porter that was rich, robust, and perfect per style, enjoyable to drink as well ease.

M: The mouthful was very smooth for a porter with a nice roastedness and coffee flavor coming through upon warming with some milkiness.

D: Well rounded balanced with full flavors makes this a stand out and a joy to consume.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

18.7 oz bottle picked up Tuesday at the Coop for $3.50 ... poured into my New Belgium snifter.

Beautiful 2" tan head... rings of lace.. deep brown reveals crystal clarity when held to a light with deep ruby highlites.

Milk Chocolate and cold coffee with hints of yeasty fruitiness in the nose... caramel reveals more as it warms.

Flavor is mild roastiness ... with pronounced chocolate throughout. Pretty rich ... toasty .. maltiness masks indentifiable hop flavors... very mild but present spicy finish.

Perfect body and very drinkable.

It's been at least a few years since I've had a Taddy Porter and damn glad I picked another up.... This brew could easily be a session or a sipper depending on my mood.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Second review

After my first review, I decided to buy some more craft beers and drink them with some sort of purpose.

I had no idea what to expect from this Samuel Smith jumpoff as the only time I drank it before I bought their lager or ale.

It is dark as night, hold it up to the light and not a spec shines through.

I have kind of a stuffed nose so the flavor is not as apparent as I'd like to be.

All in all, I'd say the taste was way stronger than Guinness and a little bit less thick.

I'm not sure if I'm bad at pouring beer, but this one bottle had no lacing, the head was thick and didn't settle very fast.

It had a terrific mouthfeel, smelled great to my stuffed nose, and I could drink this beer rather easily.

Bottoms up!

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

550ml bottle, capped with gold foil. I can't believe I have never reviewed this beer before. The appearance is nearly perfection. Almost solid black with a beautiful light brown head that lasts.

The smell is coffee and malt with some hints of chocolate. Some nut and fig come through as well. The taste is simply amazing. So complex and delicate. The beginning is sweet and malty and a bit metallic. That gives way to some slight bitterness and wonderful earth and powdered cocoa. My favorite part of this beer is the aftertaste that just goes on forever. Love that dark chocolate.

Extremely easy drinking for a beer which such great flavors. Truly world class in my book.

4.89/5  rDev +17%

I can't think of enough good things to say about this one. The consummate English Porter.

A: Deep chocolate brown color. Head is tan, firm and stays with the beer. Only weak point is the lack of lace down the glass. My bottle left only tiny patches.

S: Very complex. Blackberry, dark cherry, chocolate and black grape aromas. Slightly sweet. Like sniffing a fine red wine.

T: Initial sweetness gives way to perfect sweet/bitter balance. Tastes of bakers chocolate, cherries and black grapes. Great interplay of flavors. The finish is dry. Hop bitterness lingers initially, but gives way to a bittersweet combination of blackberries and dark cherries.

M: Medium body. Just the right amount of carbonation. Feels a little oily on the tongue.

D: My favorite English Porter. Enough said. I only wish it didn't cost so much. I could break the bank with it.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)