Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,259 | Hads: 2,784
3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

The Famous Taddy Porter has a rich brown colored body with accents of ruby in it. The head is the color of milk chocolate, and is pretty thick and resilient, holding on for a while and leaving some pretty good lacing behind.

It takes quite a bit of smelling to get much out of this beer, it just doesn't pack a ton of punch in the aroma department. Some chocolate, roasted malts, caramel and maybe a touch of coffee.

The flavor is stronger and better than the aroma, featuring caramel as the strongest component. Bitter chocolate and roasted malts come next, and there is perhaps a touch of bitter coffee. A slight fruitiness and just a hint of hops are in there also.

The overall mouthfeel seems a little on the light side for the style, but there isn't anything seriously wrong with it.

Samuel Smith's Famouns Taddy Porter is pretty good. Solid beer overall. (864 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Poured a nice black body witha tan head that stood 2 1/2 fingers high. The head quickly disipated to 1/2 finger and left nice lacing.

S: Not a very strong aroma but did have subtle hints of roasted dark malts.

T: Very sweet. Little if any hops bite to it. Had a slight coffee after taste. However, the flavor that stood out to me the most was of apples. This beer to me tastes like apples.

M: To me this beer was pretty thin for a porter. However, with that being said it also is very crisp feeling which is nice.

D: Very drinkable. I would suggest this brew to anyone who wants to start exploring the world of porters. It's sweetier then their American counter-parts. (683 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%

A very deep dark brown pour accented by ruby highlights through a seemingly clear liquid. The head is slim but creamy and reduces to a compact film within minutes. No trace of lace but the film survives.

Aromas were somewhat underwhelming even after warming. Dominated by roasted notes and malty chocolate over a slightly hoppy underpinning. Expected more of an aromatic profile.

First taste reveals a firm and crisp brew of medium body. It fills the mouth assertively and rightly paves the way for sound notes of cocoa and roasted grains. The middle and end are slightly fruity but are mostly dominated by a lingering hops and drying burnt bitterness that fades lazily for several minutes.

A decent session porter for those who are just getting into the style.

Santé (780 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the gold foil topped bottle to my favorite snifter. Black appearance with a nice two finger tan head. Malty toasty smell and coffee roasted flavor. I liked reading a previous poster say campfire which is the word I was looking for. In a good way. Mouthfeel was medium. Light carbonation. Dangerously easy drinking. (326 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Pitch black colored beer with a small slowly fading head,Aroma is coffee beans.Taste is chocolate,malts,cream and coffee.Creamy and smooth goes down very nicely.I think porter fans should try at least once.I know this is something I will buy again in the futrue. (262 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a thick black color with an ample brown head. Aroma is sweet and malty with some hints of coffee/chocolate in the nose. Taste starts out simple upfront and then fades to a mild smokiness/coffee flavor at the back of the throat. Has the complexity of a chocolate malt beverage. It's certainly very drinkable and true to the style. Decent. (343 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark brown, with a tan head... eventually settled to a lace that clung to the glass. Aroma and flavor of roast coffee and a little bit of smoke. Very smooth, low carbonation, and a medium mouthfeel. This is a pretty good offering from Old Brewery Tadcaster. (260 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very very dark brown beer with some mahogony highlights when held up to a light. Has a creamy brown head that leaves some lace. There is a sweet malty aroma with some molasses in the background. A good strong roasted malt bitterness at the start and some toffee and coffee notes on the finish. (295 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a big head, I almost had it fall over the top, but the head was so great that it fell over the edge and stayed! It came back and left a thick little head that didn't go anywhere. The color is black. A slight malty characteristic comes through with a little roastiness, nothing big and noticable. The flavor is very bready, but light. Slight roasted malts and bread, that's all I got. Mouthfeel was nice, wasn't as smooth as I like my porters. I would try this again, but not anytime soon, good experience though. (518 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a light black/amber color with apparent carbonation. bubbly head.

smell is milky malts with hints of chocolate

the taste pairs well with smell, a flat malt and carbonated milky taste.

Mouthfeel is a thin finish with lots of flavor, the malts in this are great. Good drinkability due to it's thinness and carbonation. Simular to a dry stout.

I had higher expectations. Maybe a bad batch? (398 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -10.9%

A: Pours a black color with some deep brown around the edges. A nice head forms and sticks around. This leaves some pretty good lace down the glass. A very good looking porter.
S: Some malt, chocolete. Pretty thin though, not all that impressed here.
T: Lots of sweet malt with some nice chocolate and coffee flavors. A nice wood/earthy taste that I think works well here.
M/D: Kind of thin and watery for my tastes. Drinkibility is good though. Smooth and easy going.

A good quafable porter that is recommended. (514 characters)

Poured into a glass from the 550ml bottle

A-Dark brown almost black, tan head and little lacing.

S-I was not impressed here; wasn't bad just kind of boring.

T-A hint of chocolate, very malty, a hint of something nutty. This is nice.

MF-Thicker than other porters that I've tried, and I like it.

D-I feel that I could easily drink multiple of these, but I wouldn't want to drink more than one or two. I could see me starting out a cold night of pubbing with this, though.

Overall, this is the best porter that I've had so far, but that's a relatively small list at this point. This makes me look forward to the next porter that I can get my hands on. (656 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550ml from Party Source poured into a pint glass at 50-55. No dating on the bottle.

A: Pours black with a touch of red hues around the edges. Two finder light tan head. Kinda fizzy head at first then calms down to a soft 1/4 inch.

S: Soft scent of roasted malts and coffee beans. The background gives off a prune or date smell.

T/M: Very subtle in the taste department. some roasted malts but not nearly as profound as I expected. coffee notes seem to stand in the background of the plump, ripe fruit. Plume/prune and figs. Overly ripened bananas? Lower body than I had expected, probably caused by a slightly high carbonation. Finish is warming and a tad on the dry side.

D: Tasty(yet subtle), easy on the tongue. I might get this every once in awhile. It's no Ed Fit but it holds it's own. Went great with my pork loin but had no chance versus the garlic mashed potatoes. (877 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into my pint glass from a 550 mL bottle dark brown, with ruby highlights and an attractive tan head. The aroma was mostly light malts and yeast, with some roasted malt qualities and a metallic twang.

The metallic flavour carried over into the taste, but not overly so. Lightly roasted and chocolate malt flavours mixed well with mild coffee bitterness and a hint of black licorice. Lightly carbonated but medium-bodied — not watery at all. (450 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours with a one-finger light tan head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Black as coal. Medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Nose is roasted coffee. Starts and finishes with a roasted chocolate/coffee flavor with a slight lingering burnt coffee aftertaste. $2.32 for a 12 oz bottle from Northend Superette Manchester, NH. Really an excellent porter and can be a part of your regular inventory. (398 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured a graham cracker brown color into my glass with a medium head that laced pretty well. Smelled of coffee, carmels and bitter chocolates. Tastes hits the tongue with a bit of malt and alcohol and a fruit surprise at the finish - I say surprise because throughout the duration of this beer I never could nail what fruit or spice I was tasting to get this effect. The body was nice and thick and I'd drink this beer again - especially with a steak and potatos kind of meal. (476 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: A dark almost black color with a minimal one finger light brown head. Mimimal glass lacing.

S: Roasted malt with hints of chocolate and dried fruits and a bit of hops.

T: Deep roasted malt flavor with chocolate, coffee and dried fruits. A bit of nuttiness comes through and a finish of faint hops. Nice complex and creamy flavor. This is not the most powerful porter you will have, but it is tasty. Falls right into the English version with more subtle than powerful hops.

M: Smooth and creamy with not a hint of alcohol. Light carbonation and overall a light mouthfeel.

D: High, these are creamy and smooth and slide down very easy. Very easy drinking and a bit lighter than some american versions.

Overall a very solid brew by Sam Smith. Some of their stuff I think is overrated (Oatmeal Stout, Pale Ale) but this one hits the mark. A very drinkable and enjoyable porter. Nice. (944 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

A - it pours a dark inpenatrable brown, and has a nice fluffy offwhite head.

S - Starts off with aroams of chocolate, more so mocha, roasted coffee, maybe some molasses. There is a background of oxidation, but other than that, it is fantastic.

T - Starts off flat and sharp but as it warms it turns into a nice mixture of chocolate and the roasted malt character. It finishes witha a roasted note.

M - Slight carbination bite, that turns nice and smooth as it ends.

D - One of the best porters out there. (517 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a deep brown, nearly black color with a big creamy tan colored head. The head has a great level of retention, fading slowly over time to give a very nice level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is heavy of chocolate and mixed with sweet and sugary aromas of caramel and toffee as well as with other strong sweet aromas of dark fruits. A roasted malt aroma complements the sweeter aromas quite well, and in combination with the sweet, as well as a light earthy and woody smell, it creates a great nose on this brew.

Taste – The taste is drier and more bitter then the nose would have let on. It begins of a roasted dark malt flavor with hints of sweet chocolate and some caramel. These sweeter flavors begin to fade as the taste advances with the taste bittering more toward the middle, as flavors of cocoa and some coffee come to the tongue. A bitter-sour flavor comes to the tongue more toward the middle and the end with some light hop flavors coming to the taste as well. These flavors create a rather tangy but dark and roasty flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is on the medium to slightly above medium side in terms of creaminess and thickness with a carbonation level that is on the average side. Not bad for the style as it makes it rather drinkable, but does not take away from the roasty and tangy flavors of the beer.

Overall – A rather interesting take on a porter. While I am not a huge fan of the tanginess that comes into the taste toward the middle/end, it is somewhat intriguing. Other then the tanginess I enjoyed the flavors, feel and look of the brew. It is definitely worth a try. (1,704 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours extreme dark brown/black with a good frothy tan head and good lacing

S- Smokey roasted malt, with a sweet hint of chocolate, and dried fruit.

T/M- Taste is much like the smell, only more intense especially in the dried fruit...

D- Porter is not my favorite but they are starting too grown on me. This was a good beer and very drinkable. I do not know if I would drink it with a meal, but before one as an appetizer or after as dessert would be great. I might get it again. The taste was a bit off fro me so I might choose another porter before this one, but I would not pass this one up if it was offered to me. (623 characters)

Drank from a 12fl.oz./355ml bottle purchased at Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA
Served in a Samuel Smith pint glass

The beer poured an opaque brown/black and was topped by an enormous, tight and creamy, ecru colored head. Thick drippy rings of lacing coated the glass. Outstanding overall appearance.

The nose was balanced and pleasant. Semi-sweet with notes of treacle and caramel malts. Powdered cocoa was noticeable. Some dark chocolate as well. Slightly roasty, smoky and dry.

The flavor profile was spot-on for an English porter. Caramel and roasted malts came through on the front end. Hint of vanilla. Nutty in the center with cold, black coffee notes. The finish was incredibly dry, bitter and smoky. Very more-ish. A charred wood flavor lingered on my palate for what seemed to be an eternity.

The mouthfeel was also very British in nature. Somewhat thin and watery with a very fine and mild effervescence. Had I not known, I would have sworn that this beer was served from a cask.

Even through this beer nails the style category, I personally was not a huge fan of it. The overwhelmingly dry, bitter, roastiness was simply too much to handle, and the thin body left something to be desired. (1,201 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.6%

Drink this at room temperature! I was about to give it about a 2/5, but as it warmed way up, it improved quite a lot.

A very dark porter - black with a tan head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell was not good when cold, but as it warmed it became sublime. Wow - the aroma would fare well against my favorite dark Belgians. Sure, the dark chocolate is there in good balance with roasted coffee beans, but the great parts are the esters and the hops. The dark cherries meld perfectly with the earthy hops. Unfortunately I find the flavor to be a let-down after such an aroma. It is rather bland roasted malts with a slight acidic twinge and butteriness at the end. Not bad, but not anything special. The carbonation feels a little rough on the tongue, and the body is thin. I think I pick up some higher/fusel alcohols. I have a feeling this beer would be devastatingly good on cask, but as far as out of a bottle, it is just above average. (948 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass - didn't have a pint glass on hand.

This was my first porter, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Poured a dark brown color with a light brown head. Head fades quickly.

The nose wasn't revealing much. Maybe it was me. I caught slight hints of chocolate/coffee. Wasn't overly impressed. The taste reflected the smell, but it was a bit easier to pick up on - again, chocolate taste here. No real bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light - I don't think you could categorize it as much more than medium bodied. Fair amount of carbonation, but it wasn't offensive or distracting. To be honest, it almost felt a bit watery to me.

All in all, I've reviewed this beer as I experienced it. From reading the other reviews, mine seems to differ a bit and I wonder if there wasn't some other variable at play. Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future, but for now, this is as I experienced it. All in all a fairly solid beer, but not really thrilled in the least. (1,012 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Re-review on 12-30-07: I've left my original review at the bottom. My tastes have definitely changed over the years. Poured from a 550 ml bottle into a pint glass. It was black in color with not much carb and no lacing. Had a decent brownish head that settled into a broken collar. The aroma was coffee, roasted and chocolate malts. Was kinda weak actually. The taste followed the aroma. Good malt flavor and now I actually enjoy the coffee so marks are up now. Mouthfeel was a bit watery. Overall, a good beer and recommended. I tend to love the American Porters and just like the English Porters. So 5 years later it has a better review but still won't be a big player in the rotation (Rare buy)

****Original review from 11-24-2002
Served from a 550ml bottle. Poured nicely with a rich head on a almost black colored beer. Smell had a hint of coffee which probably hurt my review as a cannot stand coffee. The taste was OK but again hurt by the coffee taste. For me, a good porter to be enjoyed every so often but won't be taking up shelf space in my fridge. (App 4, Smell 3, Taste 2.5, Mfeel 4, Drink 2.5 (1,108 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

No date on the bottle. Working my way through this brewery. Poured into a goblet. Beer is dark brown to black. Forms a thin broken head of small brown bubbles. Carbonation is low. Lacing is low. Looks OK.

Aroma is mostly sweet, almost molasses. Interesting. Overall its a little weak.

Beer is medium in body, some roast comes up at the end, almost as an after taste, the bitterness lingers, not much carbonation on the palate. Overall the flavors are a little weak. I think its a good beer, a drinkable beer, but I'm generally bored. (535 characters)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)