Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,265 | Hads: 2,823
3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Opaque black with a large mud brown head. Several sticky lace rings and solid foam retention. Looks like something I'd want to drink.

Smells of dark coffee, chocolate, light char and carmelized brown sugar.

Gentle roast malts to a sour char taste. Has that English tea-like ick to it. Husky chocolate aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a light carbonated tickle.

Overall, pretty eh.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

The beer pours a deep black color with a thick tan head. The aroma is decent, but a bit on the dark side. It is full of roasted and black malts; a hearty porter. The taste is good. It has an elevated abv. taste with black malt flavor and a creamy finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent porter; definately not my favorite. I just can't get into these super black porters.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Visuals are black in color with a huge light tan head that does not die down all that easily. Needless to say, it laces quite beautifully.

Aroma is malty and roasty.

Its flavor is roasty and has a peculiar taste that I can’t put my hands on. It is also well balanced by some hop bitterness. This is a unique porter.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and is carbonated well.

Easy drinking and worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: Pours a charcoal black body with the faintest ruby highlights; despite a hard pour, I didn't get much of a head but a ringlet lasted throughout; not much lacing

Smell: Coffee, tobacco, licorice and dark chocolate on the nose, but fainter than I expected

Taste: Starts out brown bready but a bitter/sour flavor takes over in the middle and fades while the sweet chocolate, coffee and tobacco elements resume their promenance; nice dark chocolate aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Judging from the other ratings, I was inclined to mark my scores up a notch but I wouldn't be honest to this bottle if I did that; worth taking another try in the future, I was put off by some of the sour elements in this sample

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

In lieu of giving a review that probably won't coincide with the majority of porter fans here, I'll just stick with my basic impressions of this beer.

First of all, this isn't my style of choice. I heard it was good and it's the first of this style of beer that I've ever had. Normally I go for anything Belgian, this was a bit of an adventure for me.

It poured black, and I mean really bloody black. Not much of a head, but it stuck around for awhile and there were some nice lace rings in the glass as I steadily knocked this bad boy down.

Taste and smell were a little foreign to me, maybe I bought some stuff that was pasturized or stored incorrectly, exposed to light, etc, whatever. It smelled and tasted good, but I really wasn't that big of a fan. I'll let other beer dudes talk about the various flavors and whatnot that came through with the beer.

Mouthfeel was again a little strange, I don't know how to quite describe it. The beer wasn't something that I immediately wanted to gulp down because of some overly bad quality, but I still had the urge to get the stuff out of my mouth and off my palate.

Drinkability was ok. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it either. Not something I would go buy again.

Overall, the competence and talent of the brewers is apparent in this beer but it just wasn't for me. It was obviously well thought out and well made, I guess I'm just not a fan of this type of beer. Oh well.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours with a three-finger thick, light brown colored head that leaves some lacing on the side of the glass as it falls back into the brew. The brew is an opaque, deep, dark chocolate brown color that is approaching black. Rich concentrated aromas of malt are readily evident from the get go. A mix of treacle, toffee, toasted grain, sweet chocolate and a rich concentrated malt note that is usually found in much stronger imperial stouts and is often confused with soy-sauce type flavors.

The body of this beer is a bit lighter than I expected from the assertively malty aroma. It is still rich and even a bit creamy though. Notes of concentrated malt intermingle with notes of chocolate, black coffee, toffee, and lots of rich, umami type notes. The umami type flavors almost lend a sort of saltiness to this brew, though not quite. This beer really does drink a lot richer than it's strength would suggest; a mini meal in a bottle, and I can remember back in my early beer drinking days, being shocked by the flavors packed into this brew. Even now the flavors are still quite jarring; still this is a tasty tipple and one I am happy to revisit again.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Well looky here. Looks like someone swapped one of my oatmeal stouts for a Taddy Porter.

Pours a very dark brown, though not quite opaque. About a finger and a half khaki-colored head. Moderate lacing. The smell is very faint. Chocolate, mostly, but also a hop presence. Taste is also on the light side. Flavors are dark and woody. Some fruity notes. Mouthfeel was way thin with adequate carbonation. The low ABV makes this very drinkable for a porter.

I was fairly disappointed with this. It wasn't bad, just not as robust as I had hoped after immensely enjoying both Samuel Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial stouts. I'm glad I had it, but I would take the Oatmeal Stout over this any day.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

2011 vintage served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown. Held up to light, hints of red light barely pierce the beer's body. Pours a thin tan lace that mostly dissipates on settle into a small swirl of tan at the center of the beer. 3.5/5

Smell: Smells like milk chocolate mixed with black licorice. Faint slightly toasted coffee aromas as well. Smells a little acidic. 4/5

Taste: Flavor is very subdued and balanced, making it hard to discern specific flavors. The subdued taste is a disappointment given the robust flavors of the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout. What flavors I can divine are cream and roasted coffee. Absolute hop vacuum. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium body, low carbonation. 3.5/5

Overall: Very unimpressed given the beer's reputation. Skip this one and just go straight to the Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

The foam was a dark wheat in color, 2 finger depth, smooth and lacey. The color was a very dark cola with hints of amber in the light. The taste was deep and bobust, roasted malt a barley undertone and a crisp hops highlight. Mouthfeel - crisp, smooth, clean, full/heavy bodied but not too heavy. Drinkability - smooth and was alot crispier and a light feel than expected by the color. Nice session.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

I poured a 550mL bottle into a 20oz nonic pint glass.

There was very little head to the beer, although I'm going to attribute that to my cautious pour. I wasn't sure if the beer would fit the glass. It did, barely.

The smell was the best part. It was burnt, nutty, malty and myriad other scents I couldn't pin down.

The mouth-feel let me down. I felt the beer to be too light and watery. Although this lighter body is probably was keeps it a porter and not a stout.

I'll drink more of this someday. It won't be my goto porter, but it will be considered when my Black Boss isn't available.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

550ml gold foil topped clear bottle sans freshness dating. Pours a very dark ruby-tinged blackness with a voluminous tan head that persists forever and leaves lace sheets on the glass. Aromas are very muted and tough to pick out, even when warmed to near room temperature. Whiffs of chocolate, caramel, vanilla?, and even some smoked dark fruit are noted. Flavor is not a robust as I'd expected. Perhaps I am unfairly judging this style (the first "English Porter" I've sampled), but it just didn't strike me as that tasty. There's the usual suspects of choclate, some cocoa powder, a dash of bittering hops, and some caramel, but nothing astounding. Mouthfeel was on the thinner side as well. Drinkable, but not like other porters I've had.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a very dark brown with three fingers of fluffy dark tan head that took forever to fade into thick film that left a few streaks of thick lacing down the glass.
S: Not exceptionally smelly but what is there is nutty and roasted. I get a few notes of sweet malt as well.
T: Follows the nose with a light roasted, nutty, and woody flavor. There is a brown sugar-like sweetness to it, and unfortunately a bit of strange metallic taste. The finish has notes of molasses, and the aftertaste is lightly bitter and reminds me of dark fruits.
M: Airy, frothy carbonation that puffs up on my palate before quickly tapering off in the finish. Body is medium and the mouthfeel is pillowy soft and smooth but, a touch thin.
O: A straightforward porter. Easy to drink with any occasion. Goes down smooth but it’s not earth shattering.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

Taddy Porter pours with a major fizziness; the head is audibly bubbly and lively. Head stays for a while, retaining it's bubbly and rough dignity. Solid black, quite solid and dark, even for a porter. Smells are intense; woodsy roasted malt, a clean metallic odor, sweet oakiness, lots of dark malt complexities. Surprisingly less coffee aromas than expected, however. Flavor is sweeter but still quite malty. Clean tastes of dark malts, some floral hops in the middle, finishes dry, on some bland chocolate and a little tinny. I think the water used at Smith's is adding the metal tastes here, and I don't much care for them. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and spot on.

Overall, I'm a little underwhelmed by this "world famous" porter. Good start with great looks and solid porter aromas. I feel this porter is weakened by the added metal characteristics from the well water used in brewing. I didn't hate it, but it definitely put me off a bit.

Serving type: bottle.

Pours a very dark brown color with ruby edges and a two finger foamy tan head. Aroma of oatmeal, roasted malts and hops. Lots of oatmeal and roasted malt up front, followed by chocolate, toffee and nut. Dry slightly bitter finish.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

My initial impression was not favorable, but this got considerably better the warmer it got. Black color and hearty flavor, this is a sipping beer to be sure. Carbonation seemed to be heavy for this style. I'll stick to their Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts in the future.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours black with deep garnet highlights and excellent clarity. 3+ fingers of dark-cream colored dense foam will retain very well but leave minimal lacing. Roasted barley and black patent nose, background coffee and fuggles hops. The taste is not as sweet as you would expect, dominant burnt/roasted barley flavor leans the flavor towards the bitter end. The aftertaste is of smoked malt, black patent and drying english hops. The uncommon charred flavor seems off-balance especially for the english version of porter and tastes more like a milk/sweet stout! Fine carbonation in a medium body breaks up the rich burnt taste and the finish is mostly clean. The bitterness fades quickly and there is no residual sweetness so it manages a high drinkability.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

A: Large brown head on a very dark delicious looking body.
S: Very sweet smelling with hints of honey, caramel, coffee, mocha and yeast.
T: Lacks some of the intricacy that I have had in other excellent porters, but definitely has a good flavor. I notice the mocha and coffee flavors really coming out the strongest.
M: Sits heavy on the palate but also very smooth.
D: It's a decent porter that I could sit and have a few of, but nothing to rave about.

3.54/5  rDev -14.7%

A: It's a very dark brown color, appearing black with a thumb width of tan head. Decent lacing lacing.

S: Immediately I get a metallic scent. I pick up chocolate and caramel scents. The metallic scent starts to fade when the bottle is opened longer (or I just notice it less).

T: I can taste lightly roasted grains, and what tastes like coffee flavored cocoa...it's not strong enough to taste like either one individually, but tastes like a flavor you'd get out of a coffee truffle or something similar. The flavor is very sweet, and doesn't have bitterness at all.

M: The mouthfeel is about medium, but it has a light airy feel about it.

O: Overall it's a nice sweet beer without being syrupy or heavy. It would work great as a dinner beer where you don't want to have a strong overpowering flavor. It would also work well with a dessert. I would drink it again, but it's not the best porter.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – Black in color with a fine, frothing head that went down slowly and left a little lacing.

Smell – The roasted malts are pleasant and play well with the fruits. There’s some nice grapefruit to be had here along with some dark caramel and smoke.

Taste – The fruits come out big at the taste, making this one lighter than expected. The charcoal smoke and lightly-roasted malts show up as well.

Mouthfeel – Exceptionally sweet and easy on the mouth. This porter is on the heavy side of medium-bodied and felt extremely good going down.

Drinkability – A session porter if there ever was one.

Update – I rated this beer with a 2003 vintage so thought it would be interesting to re-visit it with an ’04. Here are my thoughts:

Yes, there is some rather large grapefruit at the nose. I didn’t pick up as much sweetness in the taste this time around, but I got some good (albeit light) brown sugar and a twang of rising yeast. It’s definitely a solid medium in the body and was a little too clumsy to be called a “session brew”. I’m adjusting the scores a little bit but I think, ultimately, this is a “sub-4.0” beer that barely avoids my, “would buy again” recommendation.

Appearance: 1 inch head, dark brown in color, clear

Smell: toasted malt and chocolate

Taste: bitter and sweet chocolate with toasted malt and a hint of coffee

Mouthfeel: sweet start with a bitter backbone--the sweetness and bitterness arereally well mixed, medium/high carbonation, medium/light bodied

Drinkability: A nice and rich porter that is layered nicely. Good for the style. This did not blow me away like I have been by other Samuel Smith offerings. Could have a couple but would buy others first.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a jet black color with a one-finger thick foamy tan head (4)

S - Strong nose of plums along with a certain phenolic astringency (3.5)

T - Upfront flavors of plums blended with a light sweetness moving towards a malty middle along with some notes of roasted malts (3.5)

M - Light to medium bodied with a watery texture (3.5)

D - Pleasant plum notes and easy drinking but with a slightly unpleasant phenolic astringency and a little watery as well (3.5)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours dark brown with a small off-white head. It smells like chocolate, roasted malt and some dark fruit. It tastes the same way to me, but in addition to the initial malty sweetness, there's a bitter coffee-like finish. The mouthfeel is light/medium, and it's a bit creamy and smooth. The drinkability is good, but not great. Overall it's a good beer, but I've had better porters.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a clear 355ml bottle into a glass. The beer is dark black with a bit of a ruby tint when held to the light. The head is dirty white with ok retenetion and some lacing. The smell is malty to me maybe slightly week I'm also getting maybe some hops or skunkiness. Taste is just like the smell mellow flavors blended well but again I feel that age or light may have gotten to this one it seems like it is missing something. Mouthfeel is perfect for a porter smooth and with a good level of carbonation. This is a sessionable beer well it would be if the price was a bit better per four pack.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a dark brown with a generous beige head.

It doesn't have the generous aromas that I was expecting. Just a hint of milk chocolate and maybe a little bit of coffee.

Both the chocolate and the coffee come through a lot more on the palate. I can sort of get the fig thing that others write about.

Wonderful creaminess in the mouthfeel.

A good beer but why do I always feel let down by porters? It's probably that I just don't understand them properly I suppose.

550ml bottle poured into imperial pint glass

A- 1 finger of mocha head which fades to a crown, sitting atop a jet black body, minimal lacing.

S- Smokey, roasted malts, raisins and prunes, a faint creamy yoghurtyness.

T- Smokey in the beginning, lots of roasted malts, balances out well in the finish with a nice nuttiness with a little cream.

M- Medium carbonation, a touch watery.

D- As porters go this is nice, complex peaty smokey flavours balances well with a faint nuttiness in the finish. It reminds me of guiness when i first start drinking beer, a shock to the system with roasted bitterness in a session beer.

Just not a fan of the porter style though, i prefer a higher abv sipper such as an RIS when it comes to a complex smokey brew. I prefer the SS imperial stout and oatmeal stout(oatmeal stout for the lesser bitterness and increased nuttiness)

P.S paired this with a grilled frikadellen on a crusty roll, meat was a nice combo with the smokey roasted bitterness.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)