Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,259 | Hads: 2,787
1.56/5  rDev -62.3%

Yuck: No disrespect to the bros and others who consider this a top-flight brew, but for yours truly, complete bilge water. Burnt and bitter coffee to the point of being "puckery" sour. Had a decent head and of course a very dark brown color.

So as an enthusiast, how did I end up with something so contrary to my styles??

Get this - The "Mrs" goes to "Total Wine" as a birthday surprise: Tells one of there "aisle" experts that I like "sweet stouts"--Mackeson being my all-time favorite--and this is what they recommend to her for me! ;)

Hated to do, since I know she spent a pretty penny, but used this was one as draino. (635 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -59.9%

CONTAINER VOLUME: 550ml
CONTAINER TYPE: Bottle (pasteurized)
FRESH: SD27B1 (in question)
PURCHASED @: Binny’s McHenry
COST: $3.49 9-15-06
HEAD: light brown; large creamy; mostly diminishing
LACE: fair
COLOR:
REFLECTED- black muddy
TRANSMITTED- black, slight red tint (very opaque)
AROMA: slightly hopped, smoke and burnt brown sugar
MOUTHFEEL: thin
PALATE: dry texture/flat carbonation
TASTE: harsh dark bread, carmel cookie, roasted grain, toasted/burnt nuts
START- acidic, bitter
MIDDLE-acetic and sour
FINISH- long chalky harsh astringent bitterness
COMMENTS: may have been over exp. date (I hope) Otherwise this is not a good brew, I apprecieate stouts/porters but this was too much like coffee brewed through an unclean maker. I served it in cool and in a becker, which I would think to be proper
CONDITIONS:
MOWING/WORKING ON CAR- n
WITH FRIENDS- n
SIPPING- n
GET MY BUZZ ON- n (909 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -53.1%

One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

I reviewed this over a year ago and loved it. I am inclined to think this bottle has some problems with it. I sure hope so, because it was absolutely awful.

Pours dark brown with highlights through the thin portions of the glass. On the nose there is a lactic sugar note, sickeningly sweet, with a decent fruit note being ruined by diacetyl butter note. In the mouth those flavors are amplified, with the nasty buttery note really taking over. The body is thin and watery, not necessarily a bad thing, but there is a strange sour note here too.

Overall, I couldn't believe what this was when it was unveiled. I had a good experience with this beer a year before. This was a disaster. Hopefully it was just a bad bottle at the blind tasting, but at the price I'm not too eager to buy it again. Very, very disappointing for all five of us. (1,092 characters)

12 oz. bottle

A: 1 1/2 fingers head - very dark brown; no carbonation rising.

S: Faint chocolate and alcohol smell.

T: Strong alcohol; no dark malt taste and not really robust in any way - this beer really tastes just like every other Samuel Smith beer to me, which is why it's not my favorite. I wish the brewery would do something different because this tastes just like the nut brown to me.

M: Light, airy and foamy.

D: Average.

This beer didn't taste bad, it just didn't really taste like a porter to me - it tasted like every sam smith beer - faint alcohol and a few other faint flavors on the side. I am disappointed. (629 characters)

I am getting sick of these dark beers! You’re right, no I’m not. I love these dark beers. The darker the better, I always say. Tonight we are drinking a Samuel Smith’s Taddy Porter. I have had this beer many times before. I usually buy this beer when I don’t want to spend a ton of money on a bottle of something that I know is not only imported, but is also delicious.

The first few times I had a Samuel Smith’s I wasn’t too impressed. I am not really knocked out of my socks here either, but it’s a good quality beer. The Taddy Porter is actually the furthest thing from a porter in my opinion. It’s WAY too thin, and has a short aftertaste. I think this beer will taste better the warmer it gets, but these are always sold ice cold.

The beer smells almost as good as it tastes. I don’t want to seem like I am ripping on Samuel Smith’s, but I feel like every time I try their beers I am disappointed. I don’t know… I just can’t fall in love with this beer.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good. But it’s not great. Nothing to brag about. It has a pretty cool story, regardless. (1,107 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -48.3%

Looks like a sturdy porter, all is well. Aroma comes across like oil and alcohol.

Taste is oil, alcohol, brown ale and water. No hop quality. Like a mead from England. Mouthfeel is like a walnut mixed in with the aforementioned taste. Drinkability is lame, as its about $5 per 500 ml, and its just not enjoyable. Not my thing. (328 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -48.3%

A - A dark brow with a monsterous creamy tan head that lingers for a while and leaves thick rings of lacing all down the glass.

S - This has the same elderberry odor that all of the Sam Smith's beers have (barring the WW, which just stank), but it isn't as potent. Faint pine and coffee. These three mesh to create something wierd.

T - Slight coffee with some smokey dark fruit flavors that make for a bizarre and not too pleasant chemical edge. The aftertaste is a strange chemical taste pairs with a coffee flavor. Yuck.

M - Medium viscosity, carbonation is too high, and absurdly drying. I feel so thirsty after each sip.

D - Well, I am going to be able to finish this despite the taste and mouthfeel. That says a lot actually. The parching nature makes sessioning this one difficult at best. The beer is too foul for foods. I think I will seek out the oatmeal stout and leave the "famous" taddy porter to it's notoriety. (936 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -47.3%

This bottle is a few years old, about 2.

Color is dark brown with quite a bit of light around the edges of the glass, has a decent amount of head maybe a finger or two, and has a bit of lacing.
Aroma is unassuming, light roast and chocolate, and some oxidation from the age, but i expected that at this point.
Flavors haven't held up well, Porters are generally best fresh but this was a fun experiment anyway, watery smoke ashtray flavors are predominant throughout this one, just a bit of chocolate to offset the watery roast/smoke.
Mouthfeel is thin. (554 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -43%

Appearance: Pours a dark, coffee black with a fizzy, cola head that sticks around a little and leaves some lacing.

Smell: Smells like acidic, burnt coffee. That's about all I can pick up.

Taste: Follows the smell, but there is also quite a bit of tanginess and bitter cocoa. It actually has some cheese flavors at the end that are slightly bothersome.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, leaves a slightly dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: The smell and taste are slightly offensive, maybe I just got a bad bottle of this brew. Those would be the main factors keeping from finishing a bottle, let alone hitting up another one.

This was a disappointing brew. I am hoping I just got a bad one. I have heard a lot of good things about Sammy Smith's so I guess I was expecting something more. (789 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -41.8%

A: Poured nearly pitch black with a noisy fizz. A small head quickly bubbled up and subsided.

S: Smell is kind of weak with aromas of port and chocolate.

T: Taste is weak too. There's not much flavor, just some tartness and a slightly oxidized taste.

M: Fizzy and a little watery, although it sticks to the mouth a little bit.

D: Nothing about this beer was very appealing to me. It's very drinkable in the sense that you could chug a bunch of these quickly, but that's not usually how I prefer to drink my beverages. (529 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance is near black, with a one finger head. Lacing is oily but not very apparent
Smell is complex but not that great. I smell coffee, licorice, and chocolate malt. Later in the beer, some alcohol came through. The taste is very similar, except the alcohol comes through much more quickly.
Mouthfeel is pretty good. Its pretty light but still carbonated.
Drinkability is not very good. (393 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -36%

appearance - Dark brown color with a small tan head and some lace left on the glass.

smell - Cofee, raisins, and alcohol.

taste - Has a smoked taste that is followed byt a winte tast, like a red wine category.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - Didn't taste like a porter to me, was more like a wine, I didn't finish the beer, i did share it with others and we were not a fan. (388 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -34.8%

Medium but very long-lasting head over a pitch black body; pours a matte black and is always completely opaque. Smell is a mix of coffee and chocolate; subdued but distinguishable. Starts thin and flat but settles on the tongue velvety smooth and full-bodied - although lacking a particularly distinct flavor. Egresses to the stomach VERY sour with a heavy weight to the aftertaste. (382 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -34.8%

A - Pours pitch black with a thin tan head.

S - Molasses, smoke, peat, bit of chocolate, glue. Smell is quite muted.

T - Molasses up front, with chocolate flavour moving in towards the middle and even further forward at the end. Plasticky, phenolic flavour run the the drinks entirety and isn't particularly pleasant. Finish is quite clean with hints of tobacco, bonfire smoke and peat.

M - Light to medium body and overly biting carbonation.

D - Below par, with some elements that detract from the overall enjoyment. (521 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

The pour creates a deep dark brown color. A minimal head of beige is erected. Staying power is not good. Slight aroma of cocoa and java and european malts. The flavor is not really on. It's not horrible, but it's just a little bland and perhaps a little light struck. Bland maltiness dominates and is accentuated by a slight sourness and some light roasted tones. This is just not a good porter. (395 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -33.3%

hmmm...not impressed by 1st 3 impression. I may need more time to get used to this beer, but, after sampling things like winter warmer, and (personal fav) oatmeal stour, this was, quite frankly a big let down.

It pours a nice deep brown color, with a thick creamy tan head. Smells sweet and it has hints of licorice.

When I think porter, I think a rich, chocolately taste. I think a nice deep immersionin it, to boot. This was an odd licorice/chocolate mix, that didn't come out quite right.

Eh, I would say go for the oatmeal stout, but, you should at least try this, for the sake of trying it (604 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -32.9%

I bought a bomber of Taddy Porter at a grocery store. Poured into a pint tumbler.

Pours a dark garnet color with red hues when held to the light. Bubbly tan head, is not particularly sticky and produces virtually no lacing.

Smell has a sweet slightly acerbic note to it, like a rum candy, or a liquor flavored toffee. Not bad but not really what I expected.

The taste has a roasted bitter flavor, coffee and also that slightly sweet acerbic note in the aroma. I can't get past the notion of rum, or perhaps dates or figs with a burnt character.

Mouthfeel is good, full-bodied and smooth, not thick or cloying.

Average drinkability I'm afraid. I'd probably go for a number of American porters over this one. (712 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -32.4%

Off-white cover tops a dark brown hue. Aroma is of growing distaste. Lactic soy beans soaked in yogurt a bit too long. Sweet chocolate and roasted bread fights the palate dominance over with a strong anise component. Sweet vanilla is barely mellowed by an unpleasant vegetal touch. At the same time, the palate is pretty light and proposes dull mellow carbonation. A bit disappointing compared to their stouts.. (411 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] Pours a dark brown color - no light penetration that I can see. The beer pours with a creamy tan head. Just under 1 finger of head. the head recedes pretty quickly. The beer leaves nice arcs of lace when tipped in the glass. The bottle has a date code (boo!) and it says the beer is almost 1 year old (also boo). The ABV is not listed on the bottle.

S: [3.00] Very pronounced dark fruit.

T: [2.75] I get the dark fruit on the start - but then the firish is roasted malt. There is also a "salty" taste in there. I can't describe it any better. Salty is not really a compliment.

M: [2.75] The beer is a little watery - but understandable for a low ABV. The carbonation level is low.

O: [2.75] I feel bad. The beer is a year old. I really like stuff from Samuel Smith and I think this didn't get a fair shake. That being said it is what it is. (867 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -30.9%

I don't see the big deal about this porter.
A- Did have a nice dark color with just under a finger head
S- Smells of malt small hints of chocolate maybe coffe
T- Wasn't to impressed with the taste. Tasted very tarty.
M- The finish was very tarty
D- Not to impressed with the drinkability. Have had better porters. Could not get over the tartness. Would not buy again. (367 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -30.7%

First of all the damn gold leaf that covers the cap needs to go,,its a real pain in the ass. Pours out a nice black with a one finger tan head,,looks creamy.Smells just ok,a licorice smell{im not big on licorice}.Wow bitter taste as i first sip.Has a smoky taste,light on the licorice,bitter lasting taste.Has a nice mouthfeel not too thick,not too thin.Just an ok beer ,no freshness date so i dont know how old this is.I had high hopes for this beer and was let down. (468 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -30.4%

This porter poured out a dark brown/black with a large yet quickly dissappearing tan head.The smell was of coffee as well as in the taste.The body, in my opinion was very light.The taste was a little bland,almost metallic and I guess I was expecting more from this.Maybe I will have to go back to this one in the future and try again. (334 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -29.7%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Samuel Smith beers always make me cringe when I see the clear bottles on the shelf – they seem like they’d do such a good job at brewing, but I have had more than my fair share of skunked SS brews in the past. Still, Taddy gets very good reviews; let’s see if the darker brew is less susceptible to the light and other elements.

APPEARANCE: (This is the first review where I could rate the appearance without popping the cap, but I’ll resist…) Black, with only the faintest hint of mahogany coming through. SERIOUS head action with really good staying power. Almost no lacing.

AROMA: Gentle mix of black and chocolate malt, with a generous dash of bottlecap. Seems like there’s a little oxidation here; whether it’s due to the light, age, or handling will remain a mystery. Certainly not much of the telltale “skunk” scent, but then the hops are very low in the first place. Getting a touch of diacetyl as well.

FLAVOR: The aspect of SS beers that seems to be their common bond is the yeast, and its effects are noticeable here – somehow, even though it’s been years, my taste buds are quietly saying, “Oh, yeah – I remember this”. It’s sort of a gentle metallic flavor that helps to impart a very dry finish. Roasted malt flavor is sorta weak, actually, but very smooth. And, in the words of Austin Powers, it’s “a bit nutty.”

MOUTHFEEL: Average weight, high carbonation, move along folks, nothing to see here.

DRINKABILITY: At 5% ABV it’s pretty close to session status, but I think I’d prefer other porters to drink more than one of.

OVERALL COMMENTS: Boy, I hope I get the chance to taste this fresh one day – I think I’d have a much higher opinion of it. As it is, I’m disappointed. (1,761 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -29%

Apperance: very dark, almost black with a nice rich foamy, mocha colored head. Nice lacing and color overall

Smell: Smell was...yikes...not very good smell. I think this bottle sat on the shelf for a while. A bit skunky! I could detect a strong coffee smell with a touch of malts in their somewhere

Taste: was not as bad as the smell! Did have a very genuine coffee flavor along with roasted malts as stated above. Has a slight bitter after taste that makes for a nice finish. Coffee flavor...yes a burnt chocolate coffee flavor is the taste along with a slight earthy flavor

Mouthfeel: fairly smooth and soft, goes down pertty easy

Overall a bit offensive! I will probably give this another try sometime....maybe. Dont know if it was just the bottle or me? (769 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -28.5%

Since I love Porters I was excited to bring this home and enjpy it with my fav cigar. I was dissapointed. I liked the pour and the head was very nice, leaving some lace, but the taste left me empty. It had hardly a mouthfeel to it so I suppose I'm being genorous in my rating, hardly any of the "chewiness" I'm used to in Porters. Would I drink again? If handed to me yes, but to buy it? Nope. (393 characters)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)