Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,273 | Hads: 2,853
2.96/5  rDev -28.7%

Since I love Porters I was excited to bring this home and enjpy it with my fav cigar. I was dissapointed. I liked the pour and the head was very nice, leaving some lace, but the taste left me empty. It had hardly a mouthfeel to it so I suppose I'm being genorous in my rating, hardly any of the "chewiness" I'm used to in Porters. Would I drink again? If handed to me yes, but to buy it? Nope.

I know this is considered one of the touchstones against which other porters are judged, and maybe that is why it seems to fall short of my expectations. Very nice, but not outstanding.

3.03/5  rDev -27%

Tastes of traditional steel-works with a hint of days gone by. The old gentleman come in from a brisk spring day and ordering a pint of lovely Porter. I'm not old or a gentleman, go figure.

3.04/5  rDev -26.7%

This beer pours jet black has a two finger head with good retention and moderate lacing. The aroma is wonderful coffee, molasses, vanilla, and caramel I can't wait to try it! The taste is not what I expected the coffee was there but it tasted old and musty. (bad beer?) This beer is medium bodied and crisp but the musty flavor makes it a bit harsh to drink.

Reflection: After reading some of the other reviews on this beer I have to assume that I tried a bad one. Will review again.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours jet black with a nice tan head. In the aroma, sweet roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee notes. In the taste, sweet roasted malt and chocolate and coffee hints, a bit watery though. A small bite and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry roasted malt in the aftertaste. Nice roast, but a bit thin, although still good for and English Porter.

3.11/5  rDev -25.1%

Porter is such a vast category that knocking this on it's stylistic merits would seem kinda wrong. I guess I just don't like that buterscotchy-caramelly-sweetish flavor that all the sam smiths I've tasted have had---this one escpecially. Pours dark dark brown and goes down very smoothly.
I am not a big fan of this one. It does seem, however, and thankfully, that SS imperial stout actually benefits from this quality. There they stepped up the hops to accomodate there thick sweet beers.

3.12/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a tall glass. Color was a deep, burnt caramel brown with a half inch foamy head. Nearly opaque. Very pretty.

Smelled of malt and hops, with maybe a touch of grape scent. I must admit I have trouble picking out diverse smells, but the overall aroma was good.

Taste: sweet at first, reminded me of sugared coffee, malt, and molasses. Moist and slightly bitter, but with an unpleasant sour aftertaste. Consistency was thin. Quite filling, much like a stout.

This is the first English porter I've tried, and I can't say I was terribly impressed. The bottle may have been off a bit, as there was a decidedly sour aftertaste that may not be typical. All in all not a terrible beer; I wouldn't decline it if free, but can find better brews for $3. I would like to try it on tap to see if the sour flavor remains or if I simply had bad luck.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pour looked like a nice dark stout should. The smell of dark chocolate. Taste was metallic, not extremely pleasant at all. I purchased 3 Sam Smith varieties and all three have been underwhelming. Either they were out of date and shouldn’t have been distributed or this brewery is tremendously overhyped.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Appearance - Very dark brown/black body. When held up to the light, looks like a very dark cherry cough syrup. The head is a fluffy light tan affair with a lot of staying power and some lacing.

Aroma - Lots of sweetness, and I don't mean malt sweetness either. Strong roasted coffee notes, and some chocolate. Smells a little sweet for a porter, but I usually drink American porters.

Taste - Nice. Stong roasted flavor with a sweetness in the middle. Some chocolate flavors, not as sweet as I expected. Nice acidic burn to.

Mouthfeel - For a porter, I'd say the body is a bit light, and the carbonation a bit high. Overall, pretty good though..

Drinkability - Pretty good. There are much better, but much worse porters out there.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Was a bit underwhelmed, but may be adjusting to the difference between English Porter and American Porter. Didn't detect much flavor or complexity in the taste and left not much of a mouthfeel.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

From notes.

A: Pours jet black with massive 4 finger tan head

S: Slight roast, coffee, hint of chocolate, a bit of hops and a bigger caramel sweetness, but all pretty muted.

T: Slight roast, touch of coffee and a bit of a hoppy aftertaste, but mostly just a briny sourness and bittersweet taste going on

O: Very average porter. Wouldn't buy again and not SS's best.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

This is very disappointing to say the least. First off, let me ask the question, "Why does Samuel Smith continue to use clear bottles?" Without a doubt it effects the flavor. Dark brown/black with a tan head. Not a very strong nose. Smells lightly of buttery coffee and chocolate. Flavor is rather flat, and not what I expected. Coffee and slightly acidic, although it has a fairly smooth mouthfeel. Call me crazy, but I just didn't care for this too much.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a thick light tan head. Aroma of sweet malt, some vegetal notes, and bready malt. Flavor is predominantly bready malt and some roasted notes, but this really isn't like your typical porter. Weak palate. Meh, I'm not digging this.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Great slick black appearance, slightly oil looking. Light brown colored head with some minor lacing on the sides. A burnt milk chocolate smell was nicely permeating from the drink. If only the taste was equal to the nice aroma: a little watery and light compared to a dense chocolate taste I was hoping. Mouthfeel, perhaps, is the main culprit in the odd taste with its light, watery texture with no real creamy aspect. The carbonation is also a bit off for my palate. Nevertheless, the mouthfeel allows it to be light enough not too much of a brick in the stomach. Overall, surprisingly imbalanced.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very dark brown with a bit of an off white head. Not much lacing to be found. Nose is overloaded with toffee and has some roasted malt, coffee, and light chocolate in the background. The taste really brings the toffee and caramel forward without regard to the better roasted characteristics that are in the background. Medium body with good carbonation. Not the best balance of flavors.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours dark black and the light that gets through is a ruby red shade. Big cream colored head that dissolves slowly and leaves nice lacing on the sides.

Very unique smell. Malts. Something sweet - smells a little like yeast but it's a type I'm not familiar with.

The beer, unfortunately, comes off as a little flat and uninteresting. More like a mild English ale than a porter. This porter doesn't come at you with smokiness or chocolate flavors. And that's fine, but I'm also not getting the "dry, tangy character" mentioned on the bottle. I'm not getting much "character," period. It's just an average tasting beer. The mouthfeel is boring - too watery.

For all that, it's a drinkable beer - inoffensive, easy to drink, looks quite nice on the way down.

3.22/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Its been awhile since ive had anything on par with this. dont usually venture into the porter realm. Might be an old bottle, appears slightly overcarbonated and under hopped.
Smells a little bit corn-meally which i did not anticipate. The nutty malts dont taste stale though. Honestly a little of a let down after the first sip, starting to think i should have poured it colder. Very dry, almost harsh finish. Unique, but not special

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

This is a decent porter. I am unsure of the freshness, however. Looks beautiful in the glass. It shows a near black with only the slightest hint of amber when held up to the light. The head is perfect. Nice and thick, very retentive. Lacing is good, could be better, but no big whoop.

The smell is primarily of caramel malt with a hint of black patent. Fairly sweet with a slight soy sauce flavor. The taste follows along fairly well, but the soy is more pronounced, along with a very light sourness. Not out of style, but it could stand to use some more chocolate malt to help take the edge off of the caramel sweetness and soy sauce without adding too much roast. Also, I am assuming that is probably isn't the freshest sample, as it came from one of my friends who works at a restaurant who gave it to me in exchange for a ride home in the rain.

Fairly thin. A little more residual sweetness than I would care for in the style, but other than that it isn't bad. Far from the best english porter I've had, but far from the worst as well.

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured an opaque, black color with a cream colored head that was both frothy and sticky. A bit of lacing was left behind in my pint glass. The texture appears thick with a somewhat murky presence that is enticing. Aromas of plums, dates, alcohol, roasted sugar, and old raisins seemed to come out. The taste was dominated by malt & fruit derived sweetness. Smoked and burnt wood flavors add depth to the beer, but also seem out-of-place in that they don't work with the other flavors. A bitter finish is quite enjoyable. An interesting brew with unique flavors and a nice texture, but not all of the elements I look for in a good porter are there.

3.27/5  rDev -21.2%

I was a bit disappointed in this beer. I found the taste and mouthfeel a bit thin. There was a bit of skunk in the taste as well. Weak head. Perhaps I was spoiled by the Young's Oatmeal Stout I had consumed the prior day, because this porter was inferior in every respect to the Young's.

That said, this is certainly not a bad beer. Better than many. But nothing I'd go out of my way for.

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Very dark brown body, almost black with a brown head that disappears rather quickly. Smell was complex but not that great - raisins, almonds, some coffee, some chocolate, and caramel. Smokey and a little wine like aroma. Taste was of coffee, licorice and chocolate. Big coffee aftertaste. Tasted slightly stronger than 5.0 %. Good amount of bitterness in the end. Mouthfeel was pretty smooth with light to medium carbonation and a little sticky.

3.29/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured perfect with almost 2 fingers of head and stood for quite a long time. Plenty of carbonation can be seen and this beer produced some of the best lacing I've seen in a porter. Very malty aroma with hints of toffee and molasses. Astrigent flavor that is strong with an unexpected strong bitter finish. Mouthfeel was a little thin, but favorable since beer had strong aftertaste. I expected much more from the taste after taking in the aromas and witnessing this beer dance.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Last beer of 2009 more notes on my drive. Heres We Goes.

Appearance- Brownish black with reddish tones creamy tan head floats on top of with great retention. Very prominent lacing.

Smell- Roasted Malt, Coffee, and slight chocolate.

Taste- This beer is VERY ROASTY! It has almost this smokey / Charcoal oak barrel trait to it. It packs a very roasty punch which really makes the drinker pace themself.

Mouthfeel- Low carbonation with a medium to medium high body. It is very smooth and pleasant on the pallete. I like to let the sip stay in mouth to allow the beer to show me it's true nature and this beer does feel good all the way through.

Drinkability- This beer is not the most drinkable porter I have come across. I think that has to do with it's super roasty taste. Don't get me wrong it is a great beer but my tongue tends to tire of intense smokey/roasty traits in beer after 2 or 3 beers.

Overall- One of the most unique tasting beers I have reviewed to date. It is definitly something that you really have to try for yourself to fully appreciate.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Very dark, almost black color. Poured a nice tan creamy head and left a good amount of lace. Roasted malt aroma and flavor with some coffee taste in there too. Slightly tart and peppery. Nice and warming and probably a decent choice during the winter. Medium to full-bodied and rich. One of the best Porter's I've tried, which generally are not one of my favorite styles.

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Dark brown or black, two fingers of nice billowy brownish tan head that faded to a bubbly sheet across the top. Lots of bubbles and carbonation, resembles a cola. Lacing clings to the glass all the way down.

Smell is metallic, a bit woody, slightly sweet and chocolatey, brown sugar, malt and lightly roasted nuts. Perhaps some dark fruit notes, fig.

Taste is also a bit metallic as well. Roasted nuts and chocolate make up the bulk of it, more light fruity sweetness and brown sugar. Taste is subdued and maybe a little flat. Bitterness is very light at the tail end.

Medium mouthfeel, coats nicely but doesn't linger too long, very smooth. Despite it's appearance there is little carbonation felt.

Low ABV, smooth drinkability, and wide availability makes this extremely session-able and a nice go to beer for the colder months. Perhaps a bit pricey at $11 for a 4 pack.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)