1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy PorterSamuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2000)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,217 | Reviews: 1,211 | Show All Ratings:
BladeRunner

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours dark brown with ruby highlights. Some lacing as the head fades away. Very nice looking beer.

There is this unique aroma that you only get from Samuel Smith's beers. Dark fruits, and a smokey fried bacon aroma. It is a hard aroma to really pin down, but is so unique.

Strong smoke and slight peaty flavors dominate this beer. Chocolate flavors are masked by the smoke and a little dark fruits add to the complexity.

Medium body with perfect carbonation.

A very hearty beer that I would not recommend during a hot summer day. This is one to enjoy late fall and all of winter.

12-07-2008 06:23:18 | More by BladeRunner
TitanTake

Tennessee

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Drank this from a 1 pt bottle.

A - (poured into a small glass for this) dark, slight fizz that went away quickly; very little light comes through

S - deep, sweet charcoal aroma; nutty; warm

T - initially very light, but then a strong charcoal flavor mixed with hops; almost like it was filtered through oak charcoal just before it was bottled

M - very smooth; a little effervescent

D - must drink slowly to appreciate; almost a meal in itself

After my initial review, I started eating something salty while drinking this. It seemed to really enhance the flavors of both. Reminded me of a beer you would drinking in a cabin or lodge on a cold winter night.

01-29-2010 18:35:14 | More by TitanTake
tfp4268

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours typical near-black with a light tan frothy head that lingers for a long time.

Smell...WOW! This is an amazing aroma! Chocolate, cotton candy, brown sugar, raisins. Too much to get a handle on without sitting around sniffing this beer for an hour or so.

Taste...Sweet malt, weak coffee, malty finish, not a lot of hops. not a very complex flavor, disappointing compared to the wonderfully complex smell. As it warms, it stays the same.

Mouthfeel is smooth enough.

This is a very drinkable porter. Unfortunately, it is very drinkable because it kinda lacks flavor.

10-14-2006 12:53:59 | More by tfp4268
dpool

Arizona

A: Very dark, almost black with a nice coffee colored head.
S: Subtle hints of chocolate and coffee
T: First impression of black coffee, followed by chocolate and a lingering taste of fermented grapes.
M: Mouthfeel is good, smooth, carbonated, and the alcohol hits the taste buds.
D: I couldn't have but one of these beers, very rich, very strong but good.

01-15-2007 06:27:38 | More by dpool
Ecliptica

Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is Samuel Smith's first commercially brewed beer, so I figured I'd go back to the antiquity of the style and see how it stacked up to some of the other ones that have tried to improve upon its recipe. Picked it up quite cheaply during my last beer run (surprised that it's as expensive in other places as people have mentioned here) and decided to give it a shot.

Poured the brew from the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. It pours an almost opaque light-black (is that even possible?) that shows a bit ruby when held to the light. I had no discernible head which to speak of and almost zero lacing on the glass.

I let the beer sit for a few minutes while I took in the strong smell of chocolate and roasted malts (and to let it warm; I had kept it almost frozen in the refrigerator). There's not much else to the smell as the chocolate was overpowering, which isn't a bad thing at all.

I was surprised as to how simple the taste seemed when compared to all the other reviews I've read. I tasted the caramel, the roasted malt, the coffee, and the chocolate, but there seemed to be no real strong complexity to the brew. The bitter coffee aftertaste was splendid and it even appeared to have a bit of molasses feel to it. There's certainly a "rich" taste to it, but not nearly to the extent that one would believe by reading through the highest rated reviews. I was still impressed, and still above average on the taste, however.

Mouthfeel was excellent; a little thinner than expected, but super smooth for a porter with very little bitterness to it. It's quite drinkable given the low ABV (5.0%) and for the price (at least what I got it for, I believe $2.35 or so a bottle), certainly worth keeping for that hot, summer day.
I hate mentioning other beers in reviews, but I would not be drinking this over my Sinebrychoff Porter. It just tastes too simple and thin and I think that really detracts from the richness and complexity that the brew should be exhibiting.

04-25-2008 19:00:46 | More by Ecliptica
Lars3

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

I poured a 550mL bottle into a 20oz nonic pint glass.

There was very little head to the beer, although I'm going to attribute that to my cautious pour. I wasn't sure if the beer would fit the glass. It did, barely.

The smell was the best part. It was burnt, nutty, malty and myriad other scents I couldn't pin down.

The mouth-feel let me down. I felt the beer to be too light and watery. Although this lighter body is probably was keeps it a porter and not a stout.

I'll drink more of this someday. It won't be my goto porter, but it will be considered when my Black Boss isn't available.

09-05-2009 01:55:54 | More by Lars3
newyawker

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Dark, dark brown. Almost black. Kind of a brown head, creamy looking. Smells a little like chocolate and caramel candy. The flavor is a little chocolate, a little like Starbucks burnt coffee. The feel on the mouth is a bit thin, and a bit slick and creamy smooth. Some hop bitterness results. All in all, a pretty good porter I have to say, especially considering that its in a clear bottle.

10-22-2004 23:51:29 | More by newyawker
pd360

Maine

3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

I am rating this beer lower than many others here, I found it to be almost too rich, as another reviewer noted maybe it is more suitable for desert?

Pours dark, dark, almost black with a small head. The taste is sweet with lots of molasses. While I would not turn this down if someone offered it to me, it would not be my first pick.

01-04-2009 21:41:34 | More by pd360
BeerSquid

4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

A Spectacular Beer! This embodies EVERYTHING a Porter should be! Its well constructed flavour leaves the mouth watering, craving more to the very last drop, and desiring more there after. It warms the bones and the soul. Perfect for a cold winter night.

A- Beautiful rich, bold pour of smooth blackened liquid, complete topped with creamy ivory coloured head.

S- Robust notes of chocolate and malt.

T- Exceptional taste! the chocolate in the smell is intensified and there are indications of a roasted possible nutty feel to it.

M- Dry, yet creamy. Light carbonation, and extremely smooth. Full body that rests gently on the palate before the swallow.

D- Amazing! Well worth the price. This is all around one of the best beers I have ever had the privilege to encounter. I would gladly get it again and would recommend it to anyone who considers themselves a true beer lover.

CHEERS!

12-12-2009 02:57:31 | More by BeerSquid
shohog

Oklahoma

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Nice clarity, very dark ruby red when held up to a bright light. Poured into pint glass with a decent 2 finger head which did not linger very long.

The smell was very similar to Guinness Extra Stout. Earthy, with faint hints of dark chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste is similar to Guiness Extra stout. A bitter chocolate to expresso coffee flavors. Tastes of the roasted malts is detected.
A very drinkable beer that is not at all heavy.
I could drink 5-6 of these porters which is a big plus for me. Some porters and stouts are too heavy or too high abv for me to drink this much.

Another outstanding Samuel Smith beer!

01-23-2010 04:34:16 | More by shohog
SoupKitchenBeerSnob

4.69/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Damn fine beer. Haven't had this one in a while and thought it was time when I came across it today. Poured in a Duvel tulip... Black as night... Aroma makes me think of an iron fist in velvet glove... Aftertaste lingers after initial sip-- in a good way...

Yeah, for me, this is pretty much the gold standard for porters. I'm sure there's plenty out there I haven't tried, but until then, I'm sticking with this. Cheers!

01-13-2014 19:35:26 | More by SoupKitchenBeerSnob
andebrice

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Dark color, creamy, white head that retains some of the darker hues of the drink. Smells slightly yeasty, kind of a fruity apple aroma smells sweet. Taste is somewhat malty, not overly strong, seems well carbonated a little over carbonated for my liking but does not affect the overall quality, finishes well with a bite that leaves a persistent roasted malt after taste, overall a smooth pleasant combination.

02-24-2007 03:28:34 | More by andebrice
itlnstallion11

4.43/5  rDev +6%

A- this beer pours a deep brown with a nice light brown(frappaccino colored) head.

S- the smell of the beer is overwhelmed with milk chocolate and some hints of malts,coffee and maybe some barley.

T- the taste parallels the smell, up front there is a sweet chocolate sensation followed by a roated coffee finish which leaves a pleasant lingering aftertaste. There is also some hints of barley and hops but the chocolate is super prevalent on my pallet.

M- this beer has an initial light feel to it only to be followed by a silky smooth texture that remains in the mouth.

O- this has become one of my favorite porters along with Deschute's Black Butte porter, the milk chocolate Cocoa flavor is quite delectable and I will be sure to continue purchasing this beer for the years to come.

Please message me with any recommendations on similar porters/stouts.

08-15-2011 08:21:12 | More by itlnstallion11
WOLFGANG

South Carolina

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 550 mL bottle a dark brown with deep purple-red highlights. Formed a nice large bubbled frothy tan head. Long withstanding head left ample lace.

Mixed aromas of cafe mocha, nuts, dark fruit and an earthy vegetable smell.

Taste is of chocolate malt and nuts. Has a dark fruit and bitter hop finish. Tasty...

Creamy medium mouthfeel. A little dry in the finish... so take another sip.

A good beer and an excellent Valentine's gift.

02-17-2004 17:27:42 | More by WOLFGANG
akogrady

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +6%

A - pours a dark brown, opaque in the glass for all practical purposes. Short creamy brown head that shrinks quikly but lingers for quite a while.

S - Very rich and dark. Bready, malted, very full with roasted tones to it.

T - Very much like it smells. This is a very well balanced porter and very dark. The 550 mL bottle is a small meal unto itself. The roasted tones enrich the flavor incredibly well.

M - Smooth with medium carbonation. Very appropriate.

D - Very drinkable, if only is was a little less expensive.

05-02-2008 22:47:56 | More by akogrady
Soybomb

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: very dark, a little violet or deep red when held to the light, almost black away from it, forms a nice creamy tan head of about an inch that quickly drops to a ring and very thing top layer

smell: roasted malt and coffee

taste and mouthfee: the roasted malt and chocolate flavors come out first, and drops off to a light coffee after taste, hop flavor is balanced well with the malt, but the malt is the star, medium bodied, smooth and very drinkable

notes: my first porter even though I love stouts, I liked it quite a bit

05-12-2004 02:22:19 | More by Soybomb
musingmonkey

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Quite an attractive porter - dark brown, with a creamy head, which never threatens to completely depart, but develops into an almost espresso-crema colour and glides across the surface of the beer. Smell is quite fruity, reminiscent of christmas pudding. Not quite as fruity in taste, although the presence is there mingled with some carob, dark treacle and some delicate smoky to almost charcoal notes in the finish.
This was an unusual mixture that had to grow on me after several samplings. Mouthfeel, on the other hand, was superb. A very smooth porter, with a substantial body, and a somewhat drying effect at the back of the palate. Quite drinkable, but more for an occasion of relaxation and sipping than a session drink.

02-15-2006 15:10:22 | More by musingmonkey
VtBeerRun

Vermont

3.4/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was around average slightly above. Nothing really stuck out with this beer. It had some nice creamy tastes to it, but as the beer went on that some what faded. I believe the attempt was to do a light porter, which was pretty good but nothing that really caught my attention. It wasn't a bad beer. If some one handed me a free one I would definitely drink it, but there isn't anything that made me come away wanting more.

07-22-2011 01:41:18 | More by VtBeerRun
ghostofpaulman

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Pitch black. I held it up to the light and couldn't even see through to the other side. Nice finger and a half of foamy butterscotch colored head that stuck around for a good while.

S: Maybe my nose was of today, but I wasn't getting a whole lot out of the smell. A bit of subdued chocolate notes, a bit of sugar , kinda like the candi smell of Belgian beers, just not as strong. Only the slightest indication of roasted smells, unlike most of the American porters I've had. Overall very subtle, and not too special.

T: Here's where this beer shines. The taste is not at all like the bitter roasted monster I was expecting. There is no real coffee flavor to speak of. The taste is more along the lines of sweet hot chocolate. There is even a strong marshmallow flavor in there. Also a bit of ,not fig, but fig newton flavor. Very tasty.

M: Thick but not viscous. Also, not as dry as the label would lead you to believe. It's actually pretty refreshing.

O: A damn good beer that surprised me on all fronts. I really like the conception of porters I've gained from American styles, but if this is what a real British portertastes like, than I would love to try more samples of them.

09-23-2011 17:21:19 | More by ghostofpaulman
BJ1833

Kansas

4.22/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Almost pitch black in color with a chocolate brown, two-finger head.

Aroma: Rich aroma full of toffee, caramel, chocolate and coffee.

Taste: Dark roasted malt with coffee flavor upfront. A caramel flavor is also present with a chocolate finish. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: A medium body that is well carbonated and very smooth.

Overall: Unlike any porter I've tried and by far the best. Very good, smooth flavor. Already a classic in my book.

09-16-2004 23:00:43 | More by BJ1833
kevin62

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

This porter poured out a dark brown/black with a large yet quickly dissappearing tan head.The smell was of coffee as well as in the taste.The body, in my opinion was very light.The taste was a little bland,almost metallic and I guess I was expecting more from this.Maybe I will have to go back to this one in the future and try again.

03-11-2006 15:22:33 | More by kevin62
BamaWorKs

Kentucky

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Keeping in mind that I rate these beers only in comparison with other beers of their type.

With that being said, this beer poured beautifully into my mug from the classic "pint and change" bottle that Samuel Smith typically uses, maintains about a finger of frother head throughout, creates great rings down the class... the aromas were fairly complex, with hints of different types of nuts and at points, chocolate and coffee. But the taste is where this porter shines. By far one of the best porters I've had, this really combines all the different facets of a porter to make one of the best porters around. Surprisingly carbonated with a GREAT drinkability (in comparision with other porters), if you're a big fan of the Porter, this is the beer for you. Very tasty!

06-03-2006 22:40:27 | More by BamaWorKs
jsimon816

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +1%

After reading an article in the NY Times on the comeback of Porter's, it was the right time of the season to make my return as well. Pouring into a glass a nice head with tight bubbles appeared. The smell was a rich smokey aroma which was very inviting. The first taste was smooth with a full flavored mouthfeel. It finished with the smokey,coffee aftertaste. The drinkablility was well rounded and made for relaxation after a long day.

11-01-2006 15:28:32 | More by jsimon816
skineg

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Dark, dark, dark mahogany/brown with very little light able to show through. A nice two finger head that fades into a one finger head that sticks around for most of the pint. Only one word in the English languauge can describe the look of this beer: sexy.

Smell: Carmelly, nutty and roasty with a hint of wheat. The smell is clean and invigorating but not overpowering.

Taste: Smokey. This beer has a very strong aftertaste of smoke. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but smoke, smoke, smoke, smoke and a little smoke. Before the smoke, a mild taste of coffee and caramel smoothly hit the pallet.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, the caramel and coffee make the feel extra nice.

Drinkability: A little filling, but definitely something I coud have a few of without filling up.

Comments: God bless Samuel Smith. I really liked this beer; it's something very different from the rest of the porters. I will say one thing, I was expecting this porter to have more of a nutty taste, like Fuller's Porter. No worries though, this is a very nice and unique beer.

08-20-2007 04:36:27 | More by skineg
enki

British Columbia (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Poured out very dark (normal for a porter) into a brandy snifter (note to self: do the dishes). Tiny bit of lacing around the edges of the glass.

Aroma was of molasses, raisins, dates...

Taste was similar to smell, reminded me somewhat of Guinness, but without the smooth nitrogen charge flavor. The mouthfeel was a little thin for a porter, but fit all right with the flavor of the beer. I could trade back and forth between this and Guinness for a nice dark easy drinking beer.

I read a bit from some posters about an unusual aftertaste. I wonder if this beer is also brewed in a copper kettle? Reminds me of a few beers that way. I found the aftertaste pleasant enough.

Drinkability is better than most porters, but this beer almost tastes more like a stout than a porter.

12-24-2007 02:28:34 | More by enki
Samuel Smith's The Famous Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)