Samuel Smith's India Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's India AleSamuel Smith's India Ale

good

good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's India Ale Alström Bros
3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

Samuel Smith's India Ale. 12 oz.

Appearance:
Pours a warm copper orange with a modest off-white head. It's streaked with strings of rising bubbles. Lace is decent.

Aroma:
Tangy, slightly citrusy, and tart in the nose.

Taste:
Prickly hop bitterness kicks things off, wrapped in an herbal, tea-like musty flavour. The malt character lacks backbone, but features some nice butterscotch and caramel tones. The finish is tart, slightly citrusy, and again infused with tea.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
Crisp, medium-bodied, and dry throughout. Carbonation is about medium and appropriate. All in all, it's a rather enjoyable drink but really a bit mild compared to the IPA's that are being produced by most American and British breweries now. It has a distinctly English feel to it (the mildness and tea infusion) but it's a bit less exciting than I would like.

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

Meh. I don't think this beer tastes much like an IPA. There's a fairly good hop presence, but it's mostly in the aftertaste. I like an IPA that hits me right up front, and this one just doesn't do that. The aforementioned aftertaste turns sour after a few moments. Big minus. There's really not much of a mouthfeel...the bottle I bought seems a bit on the watery side. It does have some flavor, and it's not very complex, so this could be a good, drinkable beginner IPA for someone who's only used to drinking mass-produced garbage and is looking to grow up a little.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: burnt tangerine body with a fizzy slab of dirty white foam on top. Lacing has minimal distribution and impressiveness

S: the nose is surprisingly fruity, leafy, and sweet mid sniff. Not as biscuity or malty as expected, not a bad thing by any means

T: laid back malts, sweet oranges, a pinch of sugar crusted pink grapefruit and wedge of tart apple bitterness, and some leafy tea-like hops. This beer possess a certain earthy feel more than anything and aims to keep things rather simple

M: I would call this one mild to medium in feel. Soft on the palate with a light fizziness

D: sort of a staple and respected for its longevity in the English IPA style and I find it alright. Nothing to really holler about or make a fuss...just some good drinking

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

Into a pint glass this settled a hazy rust-amber color under a thick head of medium density that diminished down just enough to leave a moderate lacing.
Amongst an obvious scent of hops, I also detected a toasted bread smell with just the slightest pleasant hint of cheese.
Mouthfeel was dry and moderately bitter--a delicious balance of hops and malts.
Very good drinkability and a must try history lesson for the American IPA lover.

2.56/5  rDev -30.2%

A - pours a clear, pure copper color with 2 fingers of white bubbly head that dissipates slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing
S - some earthy hops, some bready malt in the back
T - earthy hop bitterness with a metallic aftertaste, some light malts...a bit underwhelming from what I've come to expect from Samuel Smith's
M - medium bodied, mostly smooth and slick with some hop dryness
D - drinkable, but overall I'm not impressed

I can't get over the metallic flavor...maybe this beer is past it's prime. Not typical Samuel Smith's quality if you ask me. I hope this beer was just light-stuck and I come back to it another time and find it palatable.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

A - A solid copper with a thick soapy off-white head. Some nice lacing till about halfway through, leaving a thin heady film throughout

S - Sweet bready malt nose. A little grainy with a hint of soap

T - Malty with some mild fruitiness. A little grainy, light on the hops with a mild lingering bitterness in the finish

M - Medium body, very smooth especially as it warms and wet

D - Very drinkable and refreshing, tastes better as it warms. Overall pretty enjoyable and I could see myself drinking quite a few pints on cask if the moment arose. Lacking a little in flavor but decent.

I'm used to drinking American IPA's so its definitely different but I can definitely appreciate the origin and would like to delve into it a little further...will certainly be trying some more of this style

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: From a 1 pint 2.7 ounce bottle pours a somewhat clear copper color. Upon thining out of the head it leaves behind decent lacing.

Aroma: A decent amount of floral hop aroma but more maltiness than anything. A faint note of citrus.

Taste: It starts out malty with only a little bit of hopiness. Carbonation is decent but is smooth on the palate. As it warms the more dark sugary notes become more present.

Notes: This is an interesting style in a good way of course only the second of this style that I have had very drinkable. Cheers.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from 550mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy light orange color with two fingers of bubbly light tan head. Looks good.

Smell: aroma is quite sweet and malty with some caramel and citrus character to it. I rather like it.

Taste: nice slightly caramel malt with citrus overtones. Hops are citrusy and floral and do not present themselves particularly strongly, although the flavor is nice and quite bitter. This is a nice, refreshing, drinkable beer, though quite different than an American-style IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium body with very low carbonation. Smooth, though not creamy. Not bad.

Drinkability: quite drinkable. Somewhat sweet, but not cloyingly so, and bitter without being over the top. A restrained, tasty beer.

3.12/5  rDev -15%

This one poured a pretty clear amber with a modest off-white head. The retention wasn't much, no lacing either.

The nose had abundant caramel and toffee tones with some accompanying mealy green apple and spice.

The flavor had most of the same qualities as the nose (which unfortunately wasn't much), toffee, cidery green apple, and some citrusy bitter dry hoppiness in the finish.

Body was a bit on the light side, carbonation added enough bite to keep it from feeling too watery. The dry finish was about all that kept me reaching for it....

Poured into a plain pint from a 550 ml bottle.

A: Nice creamy, thick head. Awesome lacing. Cloudy light amber. Looks like a honey jar.

S: Very malty, light fruit and some hops. The aroma has the Samuel Smith Old Brewery signature all over.

T: I can feel a more hoppy and crisp flavor compared to other beers from Samuel Smith, very balanced. It certanly doesn't taste like the new generation of IPA. The hops don't over power the malts, and it feels good. The rich flavors grow with every sip you take.

M: Great body, medium carbonation.

D: Very high drinkability if you are not expecting an extremely hoppy and bitter beer.

Samuel Smith Old Brewery is one of my favorite Breweries. In my opinion, they are a brewery that dont follow trends, and stay on brewing beers with an awesome natural balance. God Save Samuel Smith's Brew Master!

2.91/5  rDev -20.7%

a - cloudy orange-red with a full off-white head, sustaining well. Possibly due to a significant amount of hops for an IPA.

s - malty bready aroma. no apparent hop aroma. the beer is not very aromatic.

t - A little background: I drank half of this bottle on Saturday night, put the cap on and put it back in the fridge then drank the rest on Sunday. The first tasting was definitely balanced towards sweetness. The second tasting was balanced in the more appropriate hop bitterness and flavor range. I'm going to theorize that the some of the sweetness I initially tasted was due to the alcohol, which volatized overnight in the fridge. The second tasting is more appropriately bitter. The malt is apparent but not overwhelming with a light caramel character and the hops are of an English variety, i.e. Fuggel and/or Goldings.

m - medium bodied and medium carbonation. No detectable astringency.

d - Not bad at all. There are some strange things going on here and I suspect it may not travel well. Ironic, considering the history of English IPA's.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

My first English IPA, here we go! Samuel Smith, you haven't failed me yet!

Appearance: The beer pours a burnt orangish copper. The bottle says it's the color of a deep sunset, but I'm not sure it's as romantic as all that. The head is nice and frothy, the kind of head you get with hoppy beers.

Smell: The appearance indicates hops, but they are rather muted in the aroma. There's more caramel malt going on.

Taste: The taste directly follows the smell. More malty and less hoppy than expected. Going so far as to say the malt is almost more dominant than the hops. There's a good portion of caramel sweetness underneath subtle earthy hops. There's not much hop bitterness on the finish, although a slight aftertaste does appear.

Mouthfeel: The medium body is relatively thick for the flavor profile but stops far short of being syrupy.

Drinkability: No worries of a hopped-up IPA ruining your palate here. This could enjoyably be consumed before and/or after other styles of beer.

Notes: Samuel Smith's India Ale has me confused. I know English IPAs aren't nearly as hoppy as their American counterparts, but this is unlike any concept of IPAs I've had in my head.

I'm no hophead, but I must say I'm a little surprised by how tame this beer was. It approaches, but stops short of, being bland. That's not to say I'm disappointed with the beer overall, more just taken aback. This bottle was a single in a mix-a-six pack, so it could be pretty old, which would account for some of the mellowness to the hops.

This beer is not unlike a combination of Sam Smith's Nut Brown and Pale Ale. It's not quite as malty as the nut brown and slightly sweeter. It's a tad thicker and hoppier than the pale ale. It also seems like a sort of baby brother to what is possibly my favorite IPA, New Glarus' Hop Hearty. In that regard, it's a more than decent beer.

All in all, there's probably nearly two handfuls of Samuel Smith beers I'd rather drink. However, I would like to try this mellow enigma of sorts again (preferably a fresh bottle) with revised expectations.

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

I haven't had very many IPAs so I don't know too much about them. India Ale pours a dark orange color with little head. It isn't like the few other IPAs I've had. It is slightly thick, and is actually not as bitter as I thought it would be. There is not a lot of flavor with this beer. I love Samuel Smith (maybe my favorite brewery), but I'm not completely sold on the India Ale. I think I might need to give it another try sometime soon.

3.67/5  rDev 0%

A- A slightly hazy orange liquid with a thin and splotchy white head. Looks rather... dead.

S- English yeast, fruit, white bread, and caramel. Smells sweet and well made.

T- Sweet and fruity with apples and pears kicking around with white bread and caramel. Tastes English-y, as it should. This may not be super fresh... I can't be sure, but I get that feeling.

M- Full-bodied and smooth with a nice carbonation level.

D- A solid IPA that drinks about right for the style. Just doesn't jump out at me.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance is a golden honey/straw color with 1 finger head and short retention.
Smell is a malty aroma balanced with a good dose of noble hop spicy smells. Reminds me of hopped up Pilsner aromas. Tastes as it smells, less hops than an American IPA, seem appropriatte for an English IPA. Medium carbonation with a light body. Not really my style but seems approriatte for an English IPA. I just seem to prefer American hop profiles to these.

3.36/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my pint glass the beer is a hazed orange gold color. The off white head reaches about two fingers and has great retention. After settling the rim is caked with lace rings.

The aroma is mild and sweet. More apple juice and hints of orange than hops. Malt has a strong presence. Not offensive just not usual hoppiness you would expect.

The flavor is mostly malt and sweet apples and caramel. Just a hint of hop bitterness come in at the backend but not much.

Medium to light body. Slightly thin.

Overall I wish I knew how old this bottle was. It may be a year old and that's why everything has faded. Until SS has bottle dates I will have to stand by this review.

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

A- orange/bronze/amber
S- Soft sweetness- tinge of toffee
T- mildly bitter with sweet notes - butterscotch- caramel- not much carbonation- - bitterness is present and appreciated but not overwhelming or dominant
M- dry in the mouth- moderately syrupy- good balance
D- not a thirst quencher- not a beer to end the night on...

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Served cold from a 0.5L bottle into an imperial pint glass....allowed to warm as I tasted.

A - Classic "British" pale ale look, dk. orange/amber/brown, with thin head
S - Some malts and sweetness on the nose, but not much in the way of hops. Not unexpected from a British-style india pale ale, but you might expect a bit more since this IS an IPA.
T - I'm getting mostly toasted malts and "dry" caramel. Hops are there are there, but they are not prominent. This is very similar to the Pale Ale by SS, but with the IBUs kicked up just a bit.
M - Very smooth, low carbonation as is typical of the style
D - Quite drinkable, but not a "go-to" beer for me, like a bit more assertiveness in my IPAs.

Realize that, as one who is used to an American IPAs, this needs to be judged on a different scale, but this doesn't really do it for me. This is more like a standard American Pale Ale, and a less-assertive one at that! Obviously well-made and a classic and prefer this MUCH over the PA by Sam Smith, but is not a "go-to" for me. Wonder if the distance has taken something away from the beer? Will have to try it on tap as well to see if it improves in that format.

This beer is very cohesive. It picks a flavor, and stays with it. There is nothing adventurous about it. It is, however, quite good.

G - Lagunitas pint

A – It pours a slightly cloudy orange-amber with a nice eggshell head and clingy lace. The color matches the flavor.

S – The sweetly rich smell of toffee and butterscotch permeates the nose.

T – The tastes follows the smell; very buttery impressions of toffee and butterscotch, it is also mildly bitter. The hop contribution is very tasty.

M – A bit syrupy, but otherwise it is medium-bodied with light carbonation and a dry finish.

D – All Sam Smith brews, to my knowledge, are intrinsically drinkable; no exception here.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a dark copper color with a frothy tan head that doesn't last. Aroma of caramel malt, grass, and sour apples. Taste is fruity and malty, with some bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Is also quite dry. Not a very hoppy IPA but this is still enjoyable.

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

Once poured in my bayern mug:

A: Bright orange color, thin and creamy foamy head with good lacing;

S: Herbal and earth hops;

T: Earth and spicy hops, citrus hops at the finish;

M: Very dry and woody, extra bitter, medium body and low carbonation, the mouth keep dry a lot of time;

D: mmm i like uk hops, an excellente IPA without much abv

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Live review. Poured from the 550 ml dark brown bottle with gold foil over the cap. Poured into my Samuel Smith pint glass. Mark on neck of bottle: SH28H1 but I am not sure what that means.

A Cloudy medium brown, orange body under a nice creamy head of about 3 inches that sticks around for a while and also leaves great lacing on the inside of the glass. Really nice look in what is probably one of the oldest India Ales. 4.5

S Minimal leafy hops, very earthy smell that I like (not the spike of bitter grapefruit hops that I get from overly hopped American IPA's). 4.0

T Earthy hops with a significant malt barley background. Come to think of it and after repeated sips the significance of the barley malt may actually be greater than the taste of the hops, an effect that I am comfortable with. I like the more earthy, barley malt taste of this beer. 4.0

M Rather smooth with its significant, creamy head and moderately high barley malt syrup quality. 4.0

D Pretty good. This is not my favorite style but I found it better than average from a drinkability standpoint. 3.5

Notes: I am impressed by this India Ale from Samuel Smith.

3.56/5  rDev -3%

Samuel Smith's India Ale

pours a light amber color with a small white head that dosent last very long.

a really light smelling ale small traces of hops in the nose and thats all.

a bitter tasting ale taste of hops and grains

the mouth feel is loose with medium carbonation.

this ale is good with spicy food which it states on the label, foods with heave seasoning. a good beer for a lazy sunday.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a Samuel Smith Nonic.

A: Hazy pale amber, with mild carbonation and a soapy cream cap. The head slowly retreats to a thin film, and spots of lace are left behind.

S: Quite malty, with a sweetbread aroma that's backed by a dosing of black tea and a subtle fruitiness that I've come to associate with Samuel Smith beers.

T: Toasted bread flavors start things out. Bitterness is moderate, and lends an acidic black tea and pepper bite, plus a hint of citrus. Finishes with a lingering pepper bitterness.

M: The medium body is slightly oily and dry. Carbonation feels just right.

D: Very different from the American IPAs I'm used to having. Bitterness is less pronounced, but still the dominant flavor. I'm quite glad I picked this up.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

I haven't seen this particular Samual Smith's in NYC, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. I got this 550ml bottle as a gift for the holidays.

As always, with Smith's, the bottle and label are classic. Wish I could say the same about the beer. I know it's not meant to be a hop-monster like plenty of American IPA's. And I'm a big fan of English Bitters, ESB's and Pale Ales, so its not the lack of huge upfront hops that puts me off here. It's the mildly unpleasant taste throughout the gulp and lingering in the aftertaste. Can't quite describe it but its something I've found in some other British imports.

And by the way, where are those big hops? Not expecting a 90 minute here, but I'm just not getting much in the way of anything that says IPA at all.

To be fair, I don't think British ales travel nearly as well as some other country's exports (notably Belgiums) so I would like to try this one on the other side of the Atlantic.

Samuel Smith's India Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)