Samuel Smith's India Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's India AleSamuel Smith's India Ale

good

good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,701 | Reviews: 892

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%

Toasty biscuity malt dominates the aroma, followed by light pear esters. Slightly metallic or minerally taste as well. A bit of earthy hops.

Pours clear copper with a moderate off white foamy head.

Moderately strong earthy woodsy hop bitterness is immediately present in the flavor. It lingers but is not harsh. Balance tilted toward hops, but not nearly as in American IPA. Malt character and yeast esters match the aroma, but are much more in the background in the flavor. Some pleasant alcohol warming.

Creamy and smooth medium body. Moderately low pleasantly foamy carbonation.

Classic example of the style. Maybe the bottle had been around a while though because the hop aroma was much lower than I expected, even for an English IPA.

Overall enjoyable though.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured in a riedel red wine magnum glass

A: Pours a clear maber color, with a small white head

S: More on the honey/malt, fruits side than on the hoppy side.

T: Pretty balanced and civilized. I liked it even if I'm more of a hop-bomb fan

O: Pretty good, but not overwhelming either.

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%

12 fl. oz, poured into a pint glass.

Does anyone remember the song ‘Dizz Nee Land’ by Dada? The one that inverses the Super Bowl MVP going to the Magic Kingdom? “I just crashed my car again / now I’m goin’ to Dizz Nee Land”… I just had one of those days. Instead of a trip to California, though, I’m going to have a beer.

A: It’s a textbook IPA in appearance – coppery amber in color, with a decent head the color of an orange rind. There are some bubbles to it, but not much. If someone showed you a photograph of this beer in a nondescript glass, you’d probably guess it to be an IPA. I wonder what it smells like…

S: It smells a little sweeter at first than I’d expect. Normally, with this style of beer, the first thing you tend to smells are the hops. This rather smells like dark fruit, I would say prunes, up front. There’s a hop scent, but it seems as if it’s hiding somehow. I’m also picking up another source of sweetness, perhaps roasted malt. It might be my imagination, but I’m also sensing orange.

T: Interesting, but the tastes have me all confused. You know how you think you’re walking behind a really attractive woman, then you catch her reflection in a mirror or she turns around quickly, and you find yourself going, butter face? I was expecting different based on what I smelled with this beer. I do get the hops up front, with citrus fruit, more like grapefruit than orange. After that, I’m picking up the dark fruit and malt characters. I don’t know what to make of this beer; it certainly didn’t taste like it smelled, in my opinion.

M: It’s good, almost very good. Light-bodied, decently carbonated, goes fairly well over the palate, even a little chewy, if that makes any sense. The finish is fairly dry, better than I expected. At 5% ABV, I was expecting it to be watery, but it wasn’t; that was a very pleasant surprise.

O: I might but this again, if I wanted an IPA but didn’t want to be knocked on my keister. It doesn’t pack a wallop, but it’s a decent second tier IPA. It tasted shockingly good with my Filet-O-Fish sandwich. Kind of makes me wish I’d bought two of both. Cheers.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a copper color with a one finger head. Decent lacing on my snifter glass. The nose is malt, hops, grass, and some fruit. The taste is very malty, with toffee, fruit and hops. Lots of grains and malt in this brew. Feel is medium, with decent carbonation with a slightly bitter finish. Overall, this is a good brew from a great brewery. Cheers.

4.55/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times in the past as I'm quite a fan of Samuel Smith brews so I figured I may as well review. I poured this from a 550ml bottle straight to pint glass. Poured a nice frothy head and settled to a wispy lace. The color is a deep amber. The smell to me was one of caramel with a hint of the underlying alcohol. For an IPA, it is significantly less bitter than some other IPA's. If you're looking for a hop bomb, look elsewhere. The taste of hops is in the undertone and what is apparent is the delicious taste of malts. Mouthfeel is silky and pleasant. The carbonation is prefect. Overall a great IPA and very drinkable. This IPA is well paired with any spicy cuisine or by itself for a session.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's India Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)