2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale AleSamuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next › last »
Ratings: 917 | Reviews: 656 | Show All Ratings:
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into my Sam Smith Pint Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger slightly off white head. Fades down quickly. Carbonation bubbles stick to the bottom and a few float to the top. Color is a clear bright golden orange. Not the best retention. No lace observed.

Aroma: The main thing I smell is caramel. Not very hoppy. I haven't had a pale ale in a while, but I am definitely not liking this one.

Taste: Caramel and a lot of malts here. Some grassy hops. There just isn't a lot going on here and I am really not liking any of it. Has a nut taste to it as it warms.

Mouthfeel: A little bitter, nothing compared to an IPA though. Medium bodied. Lower-level of carbonation. Leaves a musky hoppy aftertaste. I am not liking this either.

Overall, I refuse to drain pour any beer, but if I were to do so, this would be the beer to do it. There was really nothing I enjoyed about this beer and I probably won't have it again. Maybe I got a bad bottle.

07-22-2009 22:38:48 | More by mothman
mpyle

Maryland

2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

Copper color, brilliant clarity. Pours a nice white head, tight and creamy and with good retention.

Initial aroma was somewhat mineraly (sp?), but ultimately a rich maltiness with a hint of raisin. Slight earthy hop aroma?

Starts with some malty sweetness, but becomes somewhat sour by the finish. Finishes with a stale bitterness. Tastes old and oxidized.

MF - Light to medium body, fairly light carbonation. No astringency, but some drying on the outside of the tongue, indicative of oxidation.

Overall - No freshness date on the bottle, but guessing the single bottle I picked up at Trader Joes isn't exactly brewery fresh. Put an asterisk on this review - given the reputation of the brewery I'm sure a quality sample of the beer is significantly better!

04-16-2011 20:10:51 | More by mpyle
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not my favourite, but i got a feeling that the place that served it hadn't cleaned there equipment for a while, coz it tasted off, so thats what my ratings based on.

05-14-2002 17:45:32 | More by rastaman
bubseymour

Maryland

2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

I have always been a big fan of Samuel Smith beers. Unfortunately the Old Brewery Pale Ale did not work for me. There was an undescribable flavor/taste to this particular S.S. that I just did not care for. I plan to stick with many of the other beers from their line.

11-25-2010 22:36:44 | More by bubseymour
Higravity

2.15/5  rDev -44.4%

Well as with the other SS this is metallic and this is probably the worst. I must have been chewing my bronze gum while drinking this, note to self no more light SS. Anyway from this years gift set this beer was a nice copper taste, I mean color and a unforgiving metal taste that was only tolerable being chugged. It had a decent body and it smelled like a beer in a rusty can.

11-16-2004 20:48:55 | More by Higravity
Trentonator

Kansas

2.13/5  rDev -45%

When I took my first drink of this beer, I felt like I was sucking the smelt off of a copper mine. This beer has a bitter, unforgiving and relentless afterbite. More bitter than my ex girlfriend, and an aftertaste that haunts you like her memory, and will not go away. I needed crackers to remove the aftertaste. I needed therapy to remove her memory. I did not like this beer, not one bit.

04-13-2004 02:46:04 | More by Trentonator
« first ‹ prev | 601-625 | 626-650 | 651-675  | next › last »
Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)