Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale AleSamuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale Alström Bros

SirPlunkett, Jan 05, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Jul 02, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -45%

When I took my first drink of this beer, I felt like I was sucking the smelt off of a copper mine. This beer has a bitter, unforgiving and relentless afterbite. More bitter than my ex girlfriend, and an aftertaste that haunts you like her memory, and will not go away. I needed crackers to remove the aftertaste. I needed therapy to remove her memory. I did not like this beer, not one bit.

Trentonator, Apr 13, 2004
2.15/5  rDev -44.4%

Well as with the other SS this is metallic and this is probably the worst. I must have been chewing my bronze gum while drinking this, note to self no more light SS. Anyway from this years gift set this beer was a nice copper taste, I mean color and a unforgiving metal taste that was only tolerable being chugged. It had a decent body and it smelled like a beer in a rusty can.

Higravity, Nov 16, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

drperry11, Mar 11, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -38.5%

I have always been a big fan of Samuel Smith beers. Unfortunately the Old Brewery Pale Ale did not work for me. There was an undescribable flavor/taste to this particular S.S. that I just did not care for. I plan to stick with many of the other beers from their line.

bubseymour, Nov 25, 2010
2.44/5  rDev -37%

Thanatology, Aug 21, 2014

Skye1024, Dec 17, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not my favourite, but i got a feeling that the place that served it hadn't cleaned there equipment for a while, coz it tasted off, so thats what my ratings based on.

rastaman, May 14, 2002

jfcaa193, Feb 07, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours an orange color with a thick off white head, little carbonatoin noted. As I opened the beer I was taken back by the skunky odor, damn clear bottles. Skunkyness dissapated as the beer settled in the glass but then was replaced by fruitty esters with a sulfury winey characteristic. I don't care too much for the yeast strain Samuel Smith uses. Taste is earthy and aftertaste of grain builds up, some fruitty esters in there, again with a vinous characteristic. Body is thin and watery and beer is lightly carbonated. Once you get past the taste the drinkablity isn't bad. Definatly not worth the price.

zacharius, Oct 31, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -32.8%

Copper color, brilliant clarity. Pours a nice white head, tight and creamy and with good retention.

Initial aroma was somewhat mineraly (sp?), but ultimately a rich maltiness with a hint of raisin. Slight earthy hop aroma?

Starts with some malty sweetness, but becomes somewhat sour by the finish. Finishes with a stale bitterness. Tastes old and oxidized.

MF - Light to medium body, fairly light carbonation. No astringency, but some drying on the outside of the tongue, indicative of oxidation.

Overall - No freshness date on the bottle, but guessing the single bottle I picked up at Trader Joes isn't exactly brewery fresh. Put an asterisk on this review - given the reputation of the brewery I'm sure a quality sample of the beer is significantly better!

mpyle, Apr 16, 2011

Poured into my Sam Smith Pint Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger slightly off white head. Fades down quickly. Carbonation bubbles stick to the bottom and a few float to the top. Color is a clear bright golden orange. Not the best retention. No lace observed.

Aroma: The main thing I smell is caramel. Not very hoppy. I haven't had a pale ale in a while, but I am definitely not liking this one.

Taste: Caramel and a lot of malts here. Some grassy hops. There just isn't a lot going on here and I am really not liking any of it. Has a nut taste to it as it warms.

Mouthfeel: A little bitter, nothing compared to an IPA though. Medium bodied. Lower-level of carbonation. Leaves a musky hoppy aftertaste. I am not liking this either.

Overall, I refuse to drain pour any beer, but if I were to do so, this would be the beer to do it. There was really nothing I enjoyed about this beer and I probably won't have it again. Maybe I got a bad bottle.

mothman, Jul 22, 2009
2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Original Rating Date:
September 4, 2008

Nose in the bottle leads to a really odd, funky smell at first- like stinky feet. After the pour it opens up and smells a bit more of sour hops. Still not a great smell... reminds me of sour dog piss, no kidding. Nice bronze color to it, though. As long as I keep my nose away I can easily handle it- some good bitter, a bit sour hops. Sam Smith loves their ESB, and they do them well. This is an enjoyable beer but not a pale ale in the least. A bit tart, very malty. Average mouthfeel- what I expected. Another good brew from Samuel Smiths. I'm becoming an enormous Samuel Smiths fan, these are some high quality brews for no more than $3. Thumbs up.

Vendetta, Dec 14, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

355 ml. bottle. Pours an amber with small off-white head. Initial smell was not very good (maybe got a bad bottle). Taste was a little better, bitter, malty, a little hoppy. Medium body and a slight metallic finish.

I wanted to rate this now, even though it maybe be skewed by a bad beer. Will re-rate.

mtstatebeer, Aug 28, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -30.7%

The clear bottle is attractive, but I have to wonder if it affected the taste in a bad way. No doubt, Samuel Smith Pale Ale looks good -- really good. However, the taste reminded me of the canned Carling Black Label that we used to hide in the woods, as young teenagers.

The poured appearance is richly golden with a light amber hue (hey, I said it looked good), with a thick short-lived head. Aroma wasn't bad, but it was on the malty side -- not citrusy such as I expect with a Pale Ale. The taste was very Budweiser-esque, or warm canned Carling Black Label: overly sweet (corn, no doubt) with a putrid (skunky) finish. Carbonation, which may have helped this brew, was almost nonexistent.

LiquidBreadMan, Feb 16, 2003
2.7/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Maybe I was expecting something a lot different in a "Pale Ale", but I was surprised by how weak this is. I mean, the English like their hops (bitter, anyone?), but this Pale Ale is weak weak weak. The color and nose and nice, the color being a rich caramel brown and the nose filled with nice, bakery-type spicy smells. The taste is pretty blah -- not much going on in the malt, aside from the cookie flavors implied in the nose, and no hops to make up for the malt deficiency. This brew starts out weak flavored, weak bodied, and, for me, continued to seem weaker and weaker as my palate adjusted to it.

The bottom line: if you want to give Mr. Sam Smith your money, exchange it for some Oatmeal Stout or Imperial Stout.

geexploitation, Jan 22, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -29.5%

Ingredients: malt, hops

Clear bottle gold foil. Where is the beer here? What is up with the clear bottles? Reddish color, thin head, no lace. Barely perceptible malty aroma. Weak bitterness. I imagine a fine beer here out of respect for the brewer’s other products, but it must be the clear bottle that has sapped all the character from this beer. I can’t believe I will bother much more with these brews. Why would I spend big money on them when their character is sapped by the brewer putting them in clear bottles? This is simply a waste of craftsmanship

Naerhu, Feb 03, 2003
2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

kp29, May 27, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

A - Clear, dark auburn brew with a large foamy tan head. Carbonation is barely noticeable. Some lacing, but not much.

S - A light caramel malty aroma with hints of biscuits and some esters of elderberries and currants as well.

T - The flavor is initially of some light and biscuity malt, then it is joined by some sharp grassy hops that I would generally expect to find in a lager. The aftertaste is a bland, clean bitterness with only a faint lingering hop. A little unpleasant.

M - Eerily silky with a medium body and a harsh carbonation - like sand in the silk. Not very refreshing.

D - Pretty good. A classic English pale ale. I might have again, but I doubt it. It isn't really my style.

mrasskicktastic, Jul 17, 2008
2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Pours a dark copper color with a 1 finger head that dissipates after a bit. Creamy looking head leaves some lacing.

S: Hints of sweet caramel and malts with a touch of chocolate in the background.

T: Crisp and carbonated. Malty body throughout the drink but lacking in a hops character.

A twist on what I was expecting for a pale. This being my first EPA i was sadly surprised at the lack of a hop character. The flavor profile was excellent but lacked in that citric bite. Glad I tried it but would probably not purchase again. Good brew Samuel Smith Old Brewery.

midwestbrewers, Apr 26, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

A= pours a pretty good looking amber color. Nothing too great but really pretty decent looking. More of a golden amber color when you hold it up to the light. The head is a nice two and a half fingers high and is a nice white color with great retention on it and some pretty nice lacing.

S= The first thing I notice is some grainy earthy hops. I notice quite a bit of yeasty odors coming from the nose as well.... smells a lot like a brewery I think. Like fermenting beer. Interesting I've only smelled this at a brewery or in the closet that I keep my homebrew in. The malt in it smells almost like a fresh crush and grainy nothing sweet comes from the nose like a wort or caramelly sweetness. Really nothing too good here.

T= Nothing really special here either. The taste is a lot better than the smell however. Again the malt is a little grainy tasting. The hops are earthy and of the english style all the way. Mellow and smooth. The thing that stands out about the taste however is that it has a mineral sort of quality to it. Sort of irony like well water. I dunno maybe I'm crazy. A little doughy in the finish.

M= Low carbonation and great crisp finish. This is one area in this beer that I can agree with. Feels great.

D= I dunno what is wrong with this beer. Minerally and sort of unrefined tasting. I won't be buying it again but I would have no problem drinking it again. Just a weird beer.

jjanega08, Dec 15, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours out into a samuel smith pint glass. Its a tonic dark red fire amber with orange licking the sides when held to light. A formidable off-white head that lasts at its inch and a half til drunk.

Smells a tad bready, some almond and soft leather, slight yeast and floral.

Tastes sweet at first touch with a hint of alcohol at the swallow. There is a little bit of bitter dough and an oh so slight metallic tinge, which is strange considering it goes from stone to glass to get here in the states. Not what you go for if you want an american pale ale. Mmm some citrus/strawberry hits further into the session.

Mouthfeel is lower to medium body with nothing sticking but a tannin feel on the back of the tongue, and again, i know this is taste oriented, but I'm getting iron flavors when focusing on the back of the feel. Light comfortable carbonation.

Semi easy to drink, it is not a beast in any way too powerful, nor is it too weak for any mention, but it really is just not that good. I'd recommend going a different direction when it comes to the purchase of this beer, but hey Sammy Smith has a great Imperial Porter as well as other brews much more lauded than this.

The price was reasonable, but I would not buy this beer again so I guess it is not worth it.

JoeAmerican77, Oct 19, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance: This beer pours a pale looking dark amber with a white head that didn't stack up very high at all. No laceing but plenty of beads can be found.

Smell: Has woody aromas with some sour pale malts, a hint of tangerine hops. No alcohol in the nose.

Taste: The flavors are bitter sweet malts with a vague hop character. Nutty/woody palate blended well with a slight alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is mostly watery with a bitter nut finish. Light to medium body with a medium level of carbonation.

Drinkability: I have come to the conclusion,that I am a fan of American Pale Ales over English. This wasn't a bad beer but it doesn't have that hoppy character that I have come to love from beers such as Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams. It is worth a try but I think most people will agree with my previous statement.

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Apr 21, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

Amber color, a bit darker, and with a decent head.
Faint smell of caramels, malt and vanilla.
Taste follows smell, sweet malty taste with caramels and vanilla. Flavor got a bit unpleasant after it warmed up, a bit soapy.
Light to medium body with low carbonation.
Malty beer, traditional English Pale ale, don’t look for complexity. Second time I tried and this one didn’t go well, maybe because I had it too warm, I will need to give it a new try.

FLima, Dec 19, 2012
Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)