Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale AleSamuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Pours a dark copper color with a 1 finger head that dissipates after a bit. Creamy looking head leaves some lacing.

S: Hints of sweet caramel and malts with a touch of chocolate in the background.

T: Crisp and carbonated. Malty body throughout the drink but lacking in a hops character.

A twist on what I was expecting for a pale. This being my first EPA i was sadly surprised at the lack of a hop character. The flavor profile was excellent but lacked in that citric bite. Glad I tried it but would probably not purchase again. Good brew Samuel Smith Old Brewery.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

A good beer here. Copper red and clear in the glass. Great hints of malt and caramel in the nose. Blonde frothy head with lots of lace. A good dry finish yet it is mellow. Mouthfeel was satisfying. Nice warm hops flavour with a generous bitters yet not overwhelming.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Pulled from a Samuel Smith sampler (which also includes their Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown, as well as a Samuel Smith), and I'm pleased to say that this will have to be a regular for me! It's a lovely, medium-dark brown with a bit of red. The head is a fluffy, off-white which disappeared before long to leave some lacing. It smells much sweeter than I'd expect--lots of carmel with coffee and chocolate as well. It is a beautifully well-rounded beer with not-too-in-your-face hops and it's not-overpoweringly either. Medium bodied with carbonation, and it finishes slightly dry. I love this beer!!!

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance: Poured much darker than I was expecting, a crystal clear deep copper red. It's practically as dark as an Irish Red. The head was a creamy two fingers that stuck and left some very nice thick rings of lace at least half way through the pint until it ran out of steam.

Smell: Nothing really sticks out in the smell, there isn't anything that's clearly in command. It's a pleasant amalgamation of earthen, grassy hops, buttered biscuit malts and some fruity esters that almost mimic strawberry candy.

Taste: More of the same balanced affair. Though I will say the hops have a slight command here. As in the smell they're very earthy, grassy and slightly spicy. The biscuit like malt shows up again, but doesn't have the same buttery quality as is in the smell. There is a little bit of almost caramel like sweetness to it also. The fruity esters get pushed to the background and have the same strawberry quality as the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Solid medium body on this one. It's got a great creaminess to it, especially when the head was still sticking around. The head almost reminded me of Guinness with it's creamy properties. Carbonation is middle of the road.

Drinkability: This is definitely something I could revisit again when I'm in the mood for a nice, balanced, but still moderately well hopped brew. Definitely tame, but enjoyable.

Overall this reaffirms my conclusion that I prefer the American hop strains versus those out of the UK. But this is certainly a nice change of pace and the first beer that's impressed me out of Samuel Smith's stable.

Poured in a Dogfish Head Pint Glass

A- Nice clear, deep amber color; 1 finger white head that turned into thick foamy lace. Nice retention.

S- slight sweet hop up front, followed by malt notes. Not an overpowering aroma at all, very light scents.

T- Suprisingly mild taste for such a good looking amber ale- I was expecting more forward flavors. Malts dominate the flavor with just a hint of hops- for a pale ale, the lack of forward hop notes is disappointing.

M- Again, the look of this brew hints to a much livelier feel than is actually experienced. Tame- a bit on the flat side.

D- A malty, light to medium body amber ale that I'd only choose if the only other choices were regular lager.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured a color a little darker than amber into a standard pint glass, with a very modest white head and minimal lacing.

Smell is subdued with an almost apple cider aroma.

Taste follows smell - very subdued with minimal hops an apple like lingering taste.

Mouthfeel was a little thin and watery.

Drinkability was excellent - a number of these would be no problem.

Overall a very decent beer but a little disappointing as I was hoping for more.

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep amber with a bit of cloudiness. Off-white head, about one finger at first, but fades over time but never vanishes. Not much lacing. The color really makes this appearance as good as it is.

Smell: More malts than hops, with a strong nutty character. Grassy hops are there, though.

Taste: While I like the dominance of malt in the nose, I was really hoping the hops would come out more in the taste. Sadly, this is not the case. They aren't absent, of course, but I notice much more maltiness than anything else. It's not sweet, but a bit nutty and biscuity. Hops provide some balance, but not much more. It's very pleasant, don't get me wrong, but a little more bite would have been nice.

Mouthfeel: Not too carbonated, which is fine; it doesn't feel stale. Body is middling.

Drinkability: I can really enjoy one of these, but alas, I find myself wanting something else after that. I seem to recall enjoying this much more a couple of years ago, to the point of its being one of my favorite pale ales, but now I think it's just pretty good. Definitely worth a try if you haven't had it; I don't think most people would regret getting a four-pack. Also interesting for being a maltier kind of pale ale than many I've had.

I must have gotten a better bottle of this than some of the other reviewers.Although it comes in a clear bottle, (something that I frown upon) there was no skunky smell or taste whatsoever.It poured very well and maintained a healthy head with good color and aroma.It's light in the mouthfeel compared to other ales of this style, but it is highly drinkable and I will continue to enjoy it.Would love to try it on tap.

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer reminds me of a lighter version of a belgian quadruple, same sweet flavours just a bit lighter.

A - Dark copper. The body is on the clear side with a light cream head that settles to a sturdy cap.

S - There is a nice balance of sweet malt and earthy Fuggle hops.

T - Sweet malt with a banana toffee stawberry bite and toasted bread notes. Smooth flavour. Finishes with a hop flavor as well as carmelized banana.

M - Dry and crisp with a light-to-medium thickness.

O - This is a well made English pale ale. Very enjoyable and much different than an american Pale Ale.

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

3.25/5  rDev -16%

Clear amber color, decent head but little lacing.

Sightly nutty aroma with some dried apple and apricot with aromatic subtle hops.

Silky smooth mouthfeel and a light round sweetness with good bittering. This is a nice light beer with a medium richness that is satisfying. Not too complex but leaves a good taste on the palate.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Looks pretty standard. Coppery with a nice white head that fades quickly. Looks a little more carbonated than the usual SS beers.

That smell is all Samuel Smith's - tangy. Unlike the others in their line there is a nice sweet fruity smell which accompanies the sourness.

Mmmm, that sweetness is all malt. There is no bitterness. The hops only make an appearance as a light floral aspect that barely pushes through the malt. This is no american pale ale, it actually has hop-to-malt balance. Exceptionally smooth.

I don't know how, but SSPA is very creamy. This sort of mouthfeel is also something I have never found in an American PA.

Yeah, I could drink a ton of these. Its just that simple.

SSPA is another great offering by this great brewery. Looking for a bridge beer for your friends, try this at your next BBQ. Solid and refreshing.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'm far lacking in the department of English Pale Ale's. I’m so used to the American version that often I miss interpret and what this style is all about. Not often do I have true English Pales around to get a better idea to how to critique it, will see how it goes, have to remember this is probably not going taste like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

Anyways bought this beer at my local market, they also have there Oatmeal Stout which is very good Samuel Smith. Its my understanding that this is a very old brewery and that they haven’t deviated from how they make it so im very curious.

Came in 550ml bottle with gold wrapping at 3.49 a bottle it was a good deal.

A- Pours a deep reddish amber with cellos looking soapy head, diminished to a rather thin lace.

S- Strong sweet Carmel malts is very upfront and forward, with a fig candy aroma to go along with. Very subtle in the hop aroma but its there; perfume like if you will.

T/M/O- Dry, Carmel malts upfront, sweet candy type flavor; I've read prior to this review of other saying flavors of jolly rancher, grape flavor comes to mind or maybe a hint of watermelon. Hop bitterness is minimal, I really like the dry bite to this brew, flavor is there with a strong complex presence, and then dissipates quickly. Very good stuff, although one or two of these is plenty for my tastes. To strong in the Carmel maltiness of it, i could see getting fatigued with that. Overall its a good beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

For a pale, it's pretty dark, but it's a really nice reddish-yellow colour with a big, foamy head.

Smell: Faint, but some hops and fruit.

Taste: Very hoppy. Quite bitter. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel.

I could drink a lot of this, which is good since the bottle is big.

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a beautiful clear dark amber with a nice foamy white head that lasts, moderate lacing. This one looks nice. The first sip, and I'm very impressed. Smooth, light carbonation, a fantastic blend of malt and a hint of bitterness, with a little nut flavor and very smooth and highly drinkable. I am blown away by this. I'm not too familiar with the style, but I'm definitely going to have to seek out similar beers because this is very enjoyable.

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%

The clear bottle is attractive, but I have to wonder if it affected the taste in a bad way. No doubt, Samuel Smith Pale Ale looks good -- really good. However, the taste reminded me of the canned Carling Black Label that we used to hide in the woods, as young teenagers.

The poured appearance is richly golden with a light amber hue (hey, I said it looked good), with a thick short-lived head. Aroma wasn't bad, but it was on the malty side -- not citrusy such as I expect with a Pale Ale. The taste was very Budweiser-esque, or warm canned Carling Black Label: overly sweet (corn, no doubt) with a putrid (skunky) finish. Carbonation, which may have helped this brew, was almost nonexistent.

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)