Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale AleSamuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -8.8%

My last of the Samuel Smith beers. Until, of course, I'm lucky enough to find more. This ale pours a nice, copper colour with a small but firm white head. About a finger's worth of foam floating atop the copper. Their are a few whisps of lace. But, not much. No more than a few strings here and their. Smells of fruit candy, grass, lemon and bread. Taste is mild. Bready, sweet, with a bit of a bitter grass finish. Mouthfeel is a bit granular, rough. I like it. Drinkable as a session beer. But, not overly complex. Simplicity is what makes this beer good.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

This Old Brewery Pale came as part of a 550 gift pack.
The beer poured from its clear bottle a darker brown or nut color than I expected. A small but tight off white head sat attop with little lace to notice.The nose was sweet malt with again a hint of nut.The taste to me, was sweet grain malt with hints of toffee and wal-nut. A side of herb hops to balance the brew and leave the mouth a slight dry.
A simple but complex beer this is. Alot goes on here without alot of overkill. To be honest, I thought I picked up the Nut Brown Ale, for I thought, this Pale is just nuts!!
Sammy Smith is Always worth a try, do so!

Aroma: Sweetly malty and robust. Mild scent of alcohol along with sweet fruits of dates, and figs. Low hop aroma and caramelly.

Appearance: Copper and light browns. Mostly clear. Nicely carbonated, creamy though not over done. Dense off white head. Held its firmness for duration.

Taste: Nice sweet barley complex. Well matured. Enough hops in the right locations to add appropriate flavoring and bittering. Full round body, but not thick. Very mellow, yet firm throughout the body. Finishes mildly sweet, pruny, raisony, slightly bitter.

Aftertaste: sweetness of dark rich fruits. Alcohol more pronounced, but still not dry.

Impression: A classic strong ale. Maybe not as strong as I am used to , but well balanced and appropriate.

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%

What a surprise to find a four pak of these at one of my local beer stores across the state line in Virginia.
Appearance: Pours a clear copper body with a small wisp of offwhite hued head that soon falls to film and collar. Sparse patches of lace are left on the glass.
Aroma: Very aromatic nose, with a floral/herbal hops profile atop a solid malt backbone of caramel and toffee notes.
Mouthfeel: Light medium to medium body with lively carbonation and a lovely metallic accent.
Taste: Herbal and floral hops bitterness is assertive and lingering in a very English style hops profile. A pleasant metallic note seems to burst through the carbonation and blend with the sweet toffee malt tastes. Mildly bitter herbal hops finish.
Drinkability: An excellent rendering of the English Pale Ale style and, perhaps, a benchmark for the style. Very enjoyable, with superb drinkability, essentially a session ale.

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

Creamy, slightly frothy off white head that recedes to a thin film. Some spotted lace, but not much strength. A glowing light maple in color.

A well rounded sweetness; caramel and molasses with a warming toasted malt aroma. Slight almond and hazlenut tones.

Semi-sweet caramel and toasted malt character. This initial sweetness really thins out almost immediately. Some very subdued hop flavors joined by a bit of skunkiness. A minor bitterness that leads to an aftertaste that is filled again with the initial sweet caramel and toastiness.

Medium bodied; a very pleasant maltiness that fills out on the palate quite well. Smooth and balanced.

A good version of the style; a standard of Sammy Smith's. The aromais sweet and inviting, but the flavor somewhat drops off (or is that due to that damn clear bottle?). Nevertheless, a good version of the style I'd be happy to drink anytime.

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale pours a dark walnut from a 550ml clear glass bottle. Light tan head went to over three fingers and has some staying power along with fine lacing qualities.

Nose is of damp barley malts and traces of diacetyl. Palate is a sweet malt with butterscotch along with a bit of gypsum and maybe some milk sugar as well. The level of carbonation leaves the palate clean and refreshed... ready for the next pint.

A nice pale ale from Samuel Smith, that I have had many times before and that I will have many times again.

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours a clear light amber color with a fluffy white head that sticks around for a few minutes. The aroma is the only part of this beer that isn't suprisingly good. It has a mild malt aroma coupled with a mild floral hopping. The taste is mostly malty with a nice little hoppiness in the middle and in the finish. Medium carbonation, overall a good mouthfeel. I think this is a very drinkable beer. I like this one and would recommend it to anyone. Try this one and then buy a Fullers London Pride. Let the competition begin.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a nice copper with hints of orange ruby in the light. A delightful frothy tan head presides over the beer and leaves behind some wispy and sticky lace down the glass.

Aroma is nutty, toffee, faint floral hops.

Nice lightly toasted malts flavor with a fairly generous but well balanced delivery of crisp hops. The hop quality of this beer is quite enjoyable even though it is not neccesarily very bitter. Leaves the palate a little dry with a some mild astringency. Overall full flavored and a solid English pale ale.

A little thin bodied with some nice carbonation. Pretty drinkable and pairs well with pork and chicken dishes.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

Luminous, clear, orange-brown with a full tan head of fine froth.
The smell is hay and malt, along with a mild piney hop aroma. A slight alcohol odor and, oddly, something that smells like rosemary.
The taste has a wash of mineral fizz at the start, delivering a nutty, round malt and a bit of butterscotch. It has a dry hoppy finish and a lingering beautifully bitter aftertaste. It's a nice mouthful and a great session beer.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Much like other Samuel Smith beers I've had, this Pale Ale was great to drink.

Appearance was good, light gold in color with just the just the right amount of head.
Smell was pleasant, slightly aroma of hops and fruit.
Taste was representative of the smell, a bit hoppy and fruity.
Mouthfeel was medium bodied, plenty of texture and finished a little dry.

I found this beer to be very drinkable and I definately recommend it.

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%

50 cl. bottle.
Pours a clear copper color with an off white head. Has an herbal, spicy , grainy smell. Medium bodied and softly carbonated. Earthy, woody, toasted grain flavor. Finishes slightly bitter.
A good English pale ale considering the long boat ride to the colonies.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

This bottle came in a 3 bottle variety pack and came with a Samuel Smith glass. Pouring the beer into that glass yielded a nice 1 finger head. Color was a brown amber and the beer had nice carbonation. Aroma is of dried fruits, English malts, caramel and a tad of hops. Tastes like sweet malts but is very dry in the mouth and again just a tad of hop flavor. I also seem to taste a little hazelnut flavor. This beer is very easy to drink and is a good solid English pale ale.

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a very nice copper color with a big light tan head that lingers for quite some time. Smells of nutty caramel, and grassy hops.

Tastes of lightly roasted coffee and nuts, followed by a medium floral hop flavor that fades nicely into a clean, dry nutty finish. Mouthfeel is very nice, medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkability is high.

Another excellent brew from the Sam Smith brewery.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Pours an attractive dark copper with a very small, off-white, thin head that reduced to a persistent film.

Smell: Wow! I wasn’t expecting such a malt sweetness. Caramel, floral hops, and a bit of raison. Smells like some doppelbocks I’ve had. Odd… but good.

Taste: Still malty with a nice hop kick, caramel, nutty, and a bit of hazelnut. Finish is long and sweet and tea-like.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, thick texture, low carbonation.

Drinkability: Well, it was not what I was expecting, but it was still good, I went through this bottle with relative ease, and I’d probably have another if they weren’t so stinkin’ expensive.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a coppery brown with a cream coloured-domed frothy head which diminishes rather quickly to a layer of bubbles on the surface. Some malts with some hops in the nose, but not much. Grainy malts in the taste lead to a very nice lingering bitter hop finish. Good mouthfeel with not too aggressive carbonation. A classic English Pale Ale, and a good solid beer. Too bad Samuel Smith only cask-conditions the OBB.

Old Brewery Pale Ale has a distinct, almost glowing bright copper color. The head is about average in size and moderately creamy. The aroma is of lightly sweet toasted malts with just a touch of English hops. The taste is of light caramel malt with a dry hop backbone. The finish is dry with a touch of sweet grain. This brew is very tasty and almost too easy to drink. I see this being in my shopping cart often in the future.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Rests in the glass a misty dark amber with an off-white head that sticks with the pint all the way to the base of the glass. Smeel is sour - perhaps similar to white grapes - and has its own distinct bite. This pale ale starts incredibly smooth, light, and velvety but without much flavor. That changes as the beer settles full-bodied onto your tongue and presents a crisp flavor that at once resembles both lemon and berries over a solid matly base. Leaves the tongue dry, then semi-sweet with a metallic, sour, hop edge. Shockingly enough the aftertaste is actually pleasant.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

This beer seemed to be fairly low rated in comparison to other Sam Smith offerings, but I thought I would try it anyway since I am a big fan of Pales. I have liked every Sam Smith product I've tried, and this is certainly no exception, but this was probably my least favorite of those I've had.

The appearance is a dark orangey-red color with a very delicate fizzy head. Doesn't look like a Pale Ale to me, more like a bitter or something. The smell was kind of buttery (I've never understood what people mean by that until now), and slightly hoppy and yeasty. Also coming through are caramel malts and a bit of a roasted aroma.

The taste had a slightly bitter upfront flavor and is followed by a blend of caramel sweetness on the tip of tongue and hops bitterness in the back upon the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light to medium in body and reveals a delightful blend of sweetness and hops when swished through the mouth. I could picture myself drinking more of this further along the road, but I have yet to try the Sam Smith Organic Pale (or whatever it's called). As far as this goes, I think I liked Fuller's London Pride better for a good English Pale Ale, but only slightly.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

Damn SS and these clear glass bottles...pray I don't get a skunked beer here.

Appearance: Pours the color of a cream ale, with a thick off-white head that billows and sticks to the walls of the glass. No carbonation but then I don't expect any.

Aroma: Unfortunately that skunkiness is there. After that comes the maltiness you expect from an English ale, with a light touch of hops.

Taste: Why, I don't know, but I taste...Heinz 57 sauce. Is that frickin' weird or what? I even washed my mouth out and tried it again...same thing. Curious. There's malt there too, and a VERY faint smack of hops.

Finishes clean enough with a thin mouthfeel. Pretty average by the standards of the style.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Clear amber/red colour topped by a thin, off-white head. Both retention and stickage were pretty good.

Smell: Nice maltiness with plenty of caramel and a hint of toastiness. Some light fruitiness and a soft floral/perfumy hop character.

Taste: Moderate bitterness with a pleasant malty sweetness. A bit buttery, perhaps a touch of diacetyl. There's also a bit of fruit character present. The finish is on the dry side, with a harsher bitterness. Still, quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was higher than expected. Medium/light body and some slickness. Very creamy texture aided by fine CO2 bubbles that appear on the palate.

Drinkability: Basically a mellow and inoffensive beer that's great for a session. Great aroma profile and mouthfeel, along with decent flavour, keep it interesting.

550 mL clear bottle with no freshness date.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

I am a big fan of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but this is the first time I've tried this pale.

This brew pours a nice amber-brown with a white froathy head. Foam lingers throughout the whole pint...leaves a nice lacing on the side of the glass after a good swig.

Ahhh. Smells pretty good. Malty hops are at the forefront. Without even tasting it I know that the malt will dominate the flavor. My mouth froths in anticipation as my olfactory sensors take it in.

The taste is not what I expected from the smell. It's kind of whispy, lacking depth I usually associate with Sam Smith brews. It is a well balanced ale, though not overly complex. This would probably be good with spicy Thai food.

As I already pointed out the mouthfeel leaves something to be desired. It is pleasant, but I like a bit more tinge and bitterness. Still pretty good though. Very balanced.

This is a very drinkable pale ale. Next time I'm going to try with some kind of food, as I think it would lend itself pretty well as a dinner beer. I think I'll stick with the oatmeal stout or nut brown ale.

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: Clear walnut color, moderate head.

Aroma: Toasty, rather nutty malt aroma. Slight hop nose, but restrained.

Flavor: Great malt flavor up front, not sweet at all but toasted. Light fruitiness and a lot of buttery diacetyl. Some musty hop flavor, moderate bitterness, and a very dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Oddly, both creamy and slightly astringent. Medium carbonation.

One of my favorite beers since I learned to drink good beer. I first tasted Sam Smith Pale Bitter (a slightly different, less strong version) in Yorkshire in 1992, and I've drunk many bottles over the years. It's my favorite of the line, and though occasionally I've gotten a skunked bottle, most times I've been completely satisfied.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

I generally really like Samuel Smith's beers, however this one will not be on my regular rotation. It smells great, a little like their Nut Brown Ale, which along with the Oatmeal Stout are two of my favorite beers. It looks nice, and the mouthfeel is good.

But it just seems like it is lacking flavor. It seems like the beer finished a little dry and bland. I can't really put my finger on it though. Maybe my palate is accustomed to American Pale Ales that are higher hopped. Overall, not bad. But I don't think it is worth over $2 a bottle, which I will gladly pay for their Nut Brown or Oatmeal Stout.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

A nice copper colour with a good off-white head.

Smells vaguely like Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale but a bit more burnt and hoppy. Taste is similar; again, a bit more hoppy and burnt, slight tinge of copper. Not terrible, but not the best.

A bit fizzy on the tongue, but still smooth drinking.

Surprisingly and thankfully, I experienced no skunkiness from the clear bottle offering. This ale poured a deep amber that bordered on a copper color. Head retention was good and wispy lace patterns stuck to my British pint glass. Heavily tilted toward the malt in both aroma and taste. Slight hop with some buttery tones. Very smooth and drinkable. Good ale when you can find them unskunked. I don't get the clear bottles, but this one was fine.

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)