1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,819 | Reviews: 1,366 | Show All Ratings:
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

Well, this is pretty much the best Nut Brown I have ever had, so judging by style, my score has to reflect that.

Lucky me, this is my second S.S. in a row that hasnt been skunked. Gigantic light brown head that I couldnt wait for to die down, so I started drinking it. Sweet, soft, and malty nose. Just a glimpse of what's to come.

The taste is so smooth & perfect. Truly a world-class professional brew. Bold & complex, but still easy to drink. A very hard balance to achieve, but S.S. has done it. A touch of creaminess and toasty at the end that is splendid.

Extremely drinkable. Possibly addictive...?

01-11-2006 23:37:53 | More by chOAKbarrell
baxterbrew

Tennessee

This one poured from the bottle with plenty of creamy, foamy head that dissolved into thin lacing. The color is great - a deep brown, almost ruby color. The smell is definitely diacetyl- strong butterscotch, maybe a little citrusy. This thing is very complex on the taste, nutty for sure. Chewy, very filling. The hops come through at the end to end with a crisp note. I could drink this one forever.

06-20-2007 02:16:49 | More by baxterbrew
jazztoloc

Mexico

A 12 oz. brown bottle with gold foil. No freshness date on the bottle. Poured on a pint glass.

A: Nice deep brown, copper and red. Creammy head with nice retention

S: Fruit and something that feels like a fresh sugar cane finish (anybody agree?).

T: I think that this is an amazing balance beteen sweet and bitter, but bitterness claims it's place on the beer. Nuts.

M: Very smooth, medium bodied. Light carbonation and alcohol hides itself in the complexity of the flavors.

D: This is a very a very drinkable beer, the bitterness might not be for everybody.

12-31-2008 01:34:08 | More by jazztoloc
tjd112

Presentation - Poured into Sam Smith's pint glass

Appearance - Dark translucent brown with 1+ finger head with great retention and good sculping and good amount of lacing

Smell - Nuts, nuts, and more nuts. Traces of cinnamon as well

Taste - Nuts and a bit of cinnamon with lots of good spicing

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and well spiced, a lingering nutty aftertaste

Drinkability - Something to drink delicately but can be drank with almost any type of food

Overall - Probably one of the best examples of English Brown Ale, this hits it right out of the park.

12-05-2009 20:19:33 | More by tjd112
HiLLWiLLiam

Mississippi

Immortality rings through my inner-ear when I think about ways to describe this ale. A delightful smell combined with a rich, dark hue concoct one of the boldest nut brown's I have had the pleasure of trying. Not to mention Samuel Smith's are so classy.

11-27-2010 02:20:05 | More by HiLLWiLLiam
StoutishDan

Georgia

Picked this up at Trader Joe's for $3.49. I can only hope it lives up to the hype.

A - Smooth dark brown color with a reddish shade. Nice creamy finger thick head. Super sticky lacing.

S - Sweet aroma with some carmelly roasted nuts.

T - Sweet up front. A smidgen of carmel sweetness. Slight bready finish, but very expensive tasting bread, ha.

O - My excitement has paid off. This beer has all the right stuff going for it. It is sweet, satisfying and perfect in almost ever possible area.

I've looked at other reviews on Ba and I feel as if they drank an entirely different beer from me. Clear bottles? Skunk? Watery? I'm really sad that their experience was ruined because of skunk.

If a beer is skunked DON't REVIEW IT!

07-23-2011 01:13:56 | More by StoutishDan
Schmidts

Pours copper tan with a nice white head.
Swells of caramel,sweet breads and malt.
Tastes of sweet bread fruits, banana and sweet malts with a distint walnut flavor. Nice medium bitterness to balance it out.
This is a world class brown nut ale and The best one there is right now.
I give it an overall of 5.0

12-27-2011 23:32:02 | More by Schmidts
HopHeadRyan

550 ML bottle decanted into a tall glass...

A - Beautiful clear ruby brown...nice head...lingers on top of the beer...good lacing...perfect!

S - Sweet oaked whiskey barrel...mild nutty aroma...vanilla...maybe a slight hint of bananas foster...definitely sweet malt forward notes...no hops to be found...

T - Delicious sweet creamy caramel nuttiness...kissed by a very slight hop presence but not enough to turn the tables to the bitter end...just a hint...

M - Medium-light bodied...nice carbonation...slight soapy/oily feel...very nice...

Overall - I am not a big fan of Brown Ales...but this is one exquisite real ale! This beer will transport you to the days of old england when the Brown Ale was first developed...a truly epic Brown Ale that sets the standard for the style world-wide...definitely give this a try, even if you aren't a fan of the style...

Cheers!

02-06-2012 23:01:48 | More by HopHeadRyan
JohnRyanJosey

Georgia

Wow. Just, wow. I only review beers I like, so, for my first review, I figured I'd review my all-time favorite. My favorite style is the English brown, and this is the king of them all. The best browns are British, and this is Britain's best. If you like browns, you have to try this. It's a requirement to get into heaven.

A - A deep reddish brown, the color of autumn leaves. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

S - A toasty toffee smell, hazelnuts, absolutely no alcohol.

T - Toasty, overflowing with nuts. But the aftertaste is the best part: hazelnuts for a few minutes. Slightly sweet, but not too sweet. It goes equally well with a perfectly marbled steak or a slice of pecan pie. The perfect accompaniment to a delicious meal. The definition of delicious beer.

M - Creamy and smooth, with just a little bit of carbonation, but it isn't flat. Just silky, smooth and soft.

O - Sell your soul for just a taste of this beer. If I had to drink one beverage for the rest of my life, other than water, this would be it. A meal in itself, but a perfect partner with nearly anything.You'd be hard-pressed to find a meal with which this doesn't go perfectly. The best beer on the planet.

12-09-2012 19:41:03 | More by JohnRyanJosey
apratsunrthd

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

A - Dark brown with nice creamy head. Beautiful lacing.

S - Roasted nutty goodness. Not a hint of medicinal alcohol.

T - Wow. This really is THE BEST brown ale. Nutty perfection. No single flavor is overpowering.

M - Perfect --buttery with perfect carbonation.

D - If I had the cash to pay $12 a 4-pack, I could drink it nonstop until the last nail is in my coffin.

05-24-2008 01:39:55 | More by apratsunrthd
sudsface69

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

I haven't had this beer in a long, long, time and I am actually mad at myself for that at this very moment.

This is an absolutely incredible brown ale. I remember having this a number of years ago when I was much more of a novice taster, and as such, was kind of stuck in my ways and not capable of seeing the "bigger picture" and appreciating all styles.

A few years later, and now an avid enthusiast of all beer, I am coming back to this ale and I am blown away.

The appearance of this beer is just outstanding. A wonderful, deep brown with incredible head retention and lacing.

The aroma is nothing short of phenomenal. I get a lot of rich malts, fruits - raisins, dates, fig, a touch of molasses, a reminiscence of banana nut bread, butterscotch, and of course NUTS! To my own senses, I experience the nuttiness as a banana and walnut kind of thing, but that's just me. In any case, the aroma is just wonderful!

Taste - Oh my! How did I not appreciate this beer before? (I guess this proves to myself how much I've grown as a taster!) This is just an amazing brown ale. I can't get over it. Rich, malty, utterly satisfying. Wow!

Mouthfeel - perfect. No further comment

Drinkability - I can't believe I only bought one of these. I will be drinking this again tomorrow night.

Overall, this beer prompted a revelation for me. You should try it if you haven't already. Phenomenal!

07-31-2009 04:14:20 | More by sudsface69
greenborn

4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

This was a very good ale, bordering on perfect for my taste. The smell was a wonderful sweet malted barley smell. Color was a dark brown coffee color matching its complex odor. The taste was an amazing mix of dark malt and a bitter sweet hoppiness that drove the flavor home. The feel in the mouth was silky and a after taste was a wonderful nutty like flavor that the title bears the ales name- Nut Brown Ale.

11-19-2011 23:28:29 | More by greenborn
Jason

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Presentation: 12 oz clear bottle that has gold foil on top, no freshness date to be found.

Appearance: Deep reddish brown chestnut in colour with a caked on lace.

Smell: Nutty aroma ... a mix of sweet and grain with a hint of butterscotch.

Taste: Smooth with a creamy textured mouth feel coming from the medium body. Sweet up front then leaning more towards dryish nutty finish. There is an underlying buttery flavour from the Yorkshire yeast and a sufficing hop bitterness that seem to do a good job of putting the missing pieces together for this brew.

Notes: Truly one of the best brown ales in the world ... this is the cast and mold for lots of brewers trying to come up with a nut-brown ale. The lasting nutty finish leaves a pleasing hazelnut or walnut aftertaste.

11-30-2001 05:46:33 | More by Jason
rgrholmes168

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

I don't have too much to say about this beer. It poured a great two finger head and there was a nice brown color to the beer. The aroma was amazing with a slight nuttiness and the taste even better. I could drink quite a few of these.

This is my favorite beer and I don't think I can do it justice with my description.

11-23-2008 01:37:14 | More by rgrholmes168
CheckMate

New Hampshire

4.95/5  rDev +21%

550 ml brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem, NH. pours a reddish brown liquid with a good inch of caked on off white head that dissipated with a couple minutes after the pour leaving some lacing in its wake. scents of a nutty sweetness and malt grace the nose, with some toffee. flavors of nut, malt, toffee are directly on the tongue with a roasty quality in the background. light mouth feel but the first sip invites another. A great pick for someone looking for a sweet and roasty drink.

Cheers!

12-05-2009 02:04:33 | More by CheckMate
Dster

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Best brown I have ever had, and one of my favorite styles

Pours reddish brown with lacy white head

Smells of nuts, malt, toffee

Taste of toffee, cashew, pecan, malt. Brown ale with complicated nut tones...but very easy to drink. very.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly chewy.

Awesome.

02-01-2010 20:29:55 | More by Dster
mjurney

4.94/5  rDev +20.8%

Appearance:
Amber-brown color, clear. Lots of small bubble rising up. Thick beige head.

Aroma:
Rich malts, toffee, nutty, caramel, earthy.

Taste:
Very rich, malty, bready, toffee, nutty, slight dark roasted malts. There some dark fruit notes. Hop bitterness is mild, earthy-leafy. Dry roasted finish. Body is medium, silky, smooth, mellow, dry.

Overall:
Not only is this my favorite Brown Ale, it is one of my favorite beers of all time. Truly a World Class!!

04-01-2013 23:08:50 | More by mjurney
putnam

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a deep honest-to-god brown with a tall, fluffy, spoonable, sand-colored head. The aroma is not intense, yet it suggests sweet roasted nuts, finished wood furniture, blueberries, cream and roasted chicken fat.
Mild bitterness appears throughout driven by a balance of toasted grain and hops. The texture is creamy and fluffy without the slightest hint of lean, edgy CO2. Vanilla, walnut liqueur, and dull hops bring it to a finish.
Outstanding!
Note: Don't try and drink this beer cold! Slightly cool, maybe. Even better when it gets to 75 F.

10-25-2002 14:12:13 | More by putnam
sj660

4.93/5  rDev +20.5%

Seductive maple color leaving good lace above a ribbon of aromatic foam, only tarnished by an uneven bubble composition.

Aroma is mild and matches the nutty taste with a subtle liaison of fruit and stone, but nothing to interfere with the nutty, malty, slightly caramel elixir. A kiss of hops follows to complete the very well balanced flavor.

The feel is creamy and full bodied without unnecessary alcohol or gas.

A world-class beer that should be the archetype for the English Brown Ale. For me, a favorite among favorites.

03-14-2011 02:37:30 | More by sj660
Premo88

18.7 oz. bottle poured into pub glass

L: dark amber; a deep brown with loads of red in it; small but sturdy light tan head, about 1/4-inch.

S: toasted malt ... very yummy. at times smells like sweet butterscotch. biscuits. a malt-head's dream.

T: butterscotch, toffee, very sweet malt just barely toasted; every now and then you get just a slight hop bite, never much and a whole lot less than a good English pale ale, but there *are* some hops in there. very consistent malt presence that remains on the sweet, lighter side. nutty.

F: awesome carbonation that makes it so very drinkable; good light-medium weight, definitely above watery but not heavy.

O: if this thing laced up and down the glass, it'd be straight across the board 5s. because lacing really makes a beer pop in my opinion, I dock it just a bit. the bottom line: if you like malt, THIS is it! such a great English ale and my personal favorite break from the massive hop-crazy American beers ... this one is arguably better than Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale, which for me is a stalwart of a beer.

04-26-2013 01:09:08 | More by Premo88
jsolack

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance:
Very dark brown, cloudy. Head is very fluffy and creamy looking. Looks fantastic.

Smell:
Carmel hops and a slight sweetness comes through. A very crisp and pleasent smell.

Taste:
Increadible flavor. Slight burnt and malty taste intially.. fades into a creamy, sweet nutty taste. One of the best I've tasted.

Mouthfeel:
Thick and creamy in mouth. Carbonation level is dead on. Once again one of the best.

Drinkability:
May be the best beer I've ever had... tastes great. I could easily drink a few of these.

04-03-2004 01:38:18 | More by jsolack
maddamish

Freaking near perfection!

A heady ale that laces nicely. Light brown in color.

You really need to drink this beer at 45 - 50 degrees. Any colder than that and you are going to cheat yourself out of a nice treat.

Caramel and butterscotch notes on the first offering with a nice nut finish in the aftertaste.

Sugar and caramel are slightly present in the aroma.

The mouthfeel is perfect for a brown ale as it is consistent and smooth.

Notes: I will have to hook up my friends with this one when they come up to visit. This is the standard for brown ales everywhere!

02-04-2006 02:45:04 | More by maddamish
BeerB4Water

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured into my pint glass on a cold February night...

A: Poured a dark brown that eventually settled into a vintage dark red with very little carbonation.

S: A sweet smell of butterscotch. Tough to pinpoint exactly...but definitely a yeasty aroma.

T: My first word was "WOW"...creamy, nutty, bready, everything you would want out of a brown ale. Each sip gets better. It also leaves a slight bitterness in the aftertaste reminding you that this is truly an ale, and not a hokey alternative.

M: Delightful. Really enhances the flavors. Smooth and medium- bodied.

D: Not a session beer but not many brown ales are. I am a big brown ale fan, and this one is certainly towards the top.

02-20-2009 23:39:05 | More by BeerB4Water
velosuds

Oregon

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Paid $2.99 at Cost Plus World Market. Other stores usually sell for $3.99.

A-Pours a deep reddish brown with a two finger light tan head with good retention and ample lacing. Very nice appearance.

S-A pleasant nutty aroma and dark, earthy malts and a sugary sweetness. A bit subdued, but nice.

T-A creamy sweetness with a nutty malt presence and enough stingy hop bitterness to make this interesting and delicious.

M-Exceedingly smooth with a balanced complexion. Just the right level of carbonation.

D-A great English style brown ale. It is amazing to me how Samuel Smith gets so much flavor and complexion into such a sessionable beer at only 5% ABV. I could drink this all night long, and would, but for the price. Hope to enjoy this on tap one day.

I love this style and this particular beer. I acknowledge this is not the most popular style, but if there is a better nut brown ale, I hope to find it soon. IMO, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is nearly spot on for the style. This beer is what brought me to beeradvocate.com.

09-19-2009 03:01:16 | More by velosuds
dahlen22

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

To be fair, I have a soft spot for Sammy Smith's beers from my underage days when my friends and I would go to New York City and get served underage and drink these.

Serving type: Bottle from the four pack

Appearance: Dark brown

Aroma: Nutty and malty

Taste: THIS IS IT!!! Exectional taste and character. Smooth with a creamy texture yet also sweet at the beginning and then ends with that dry nutty taste.

Drinkability: Awesome is what comes to mind. So easy to drink.

Overall: All other nut brown ales should bow to this offering from Samuel Smiths. It is everything an English nut brown ale should be. Exceptional character with a remarkable taste. I actually knew then what I know now and that is quality. Only wish I could find it on tap at a reputable establishment in the New York/Philly area.

03-03-2010 22:19:32 | More by dahlen22
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)