Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,486 | Reviews: 1,412

1.16/5  rDev -71.6%

1.48/5  rDev -63.8%

Why they insist on bottling this one in a clear bottle is beyond my imagination. Looks nice poured, brown/amber color with a decent frothy head. Aroma is overpowering skunk with a hint of more skunk. Flavor is malty and skunky. Thin on the palate with a watery feeling. I'm sure this was good before they ruined it putting it in a clear bottle but I have to give it an honest review. A dissapointment for me and hopefully one day I'll have the opportunity to re-rate a better sample.

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.64/5  rDev -59.9%

1.75/5  rDev -57.2%

1.75/5  rDev -57.2%

I have had this beer before, but now I have a reason to drink it. I haven’t been impressed with Samuel Smith’s in the past, having only drank a few of their beers because of the overall quality that I experience. But tonight, I am drinking with a purpose. (Thanks to Kyle Lacy for helping me decide that our new tagline is, “It’s fun to drink with a purpose.”)

The beer smells good. Not really getting the nut nose that everyone talks about. Sorry, that sounded funny. But it does smell good, almost sweet. But the beer smells better than it tastes.

I have a feeling that this beer would get better the warmer it gets. But again, I am not that impressed with Samuel Smith’s. Even their porter is weak. I will give this beer some credit, though, for being traditional. Plus, it’s a staple in nearly every liquor store. And cheap. The big bottle and the gold wrapper gives it away.

There’s just something about the “nut brown” that turns me off from the start. But that nose… man. Anyway, the beer is just mediocre at best. Oh well, hopefully we will only have a couple more of these Samuel Smith’s on the list.

2.22/5  rDev -45.7%

Presentation: Victorian pint bottle into a large mug.

A- Medium auburn color. Tan head ~2 inches high off harsh pour; fades slowly with some lacing. Virtually no head retained after it has receded.

S- A bitter, "skunky", coppery/metallic smell. Perhaps a product of my nasal sufferings, but this is fairly unpleasant, and borderline awful.

T- Just like the smell; "skunky," bitter, and coppery/metallic. I have had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, so I give it a few more minutes to warm, then return. Same fetid results. I'm starting to think that I was sold an extremely out-dated bottle, or one taken from a highly unfortunate batch.

M- Somewhat thin and slick.

D- In this incarnation, very low. At this point, I'm fairly well convinced that I was sold a very outdated and/or tainted bottle. This one will have to be revisited and re-reviewed at a later date to ensure that I've given it a fair shake.

2.24/5  rDev -45.2%

A - Deep brown with a two finger mocha head. Slight lacing.

S - Tequila and a variety of nuts. Not very good.

T - Very sweet and nutty. Caramel malt, light toasted malt as well.

M - Light carbonation with a light body.

O - Overall, this beer was wayyy too damn sweet. I doubt i'd have it again.

2.25/5  rDev -45%

2.32/5  rDev -43.3%

Reviewed 9/5/2006 (550mL bottle):

Pours a dark brown, color, tan head, good-sized, diminishing. Malty, nutty aroma. Just malty but a good amount of aroma. Malty, bitter taste. Acidic & watery. A good session beer, but weak on flavor. Alcohol stands out w/bread & pasta.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2nd sam smith of the night. This one goes out to my professor who taught an entire class on Milton and Paradise Lost. He loves saying "English Nut Brown Ale" at any chance he could.

Pours a very semi-hazy deep amber color with a nice two finger off white head.

Very Nutty nose with hazelnuts and chocolate being very prominent. Again the alcohol is noticeable on the nose which is odd for the abv. Definitely some mocha in there as well.

I expected some bigger body from this. Oddly very thin up front. Very watery mouth feel up front which is kind of a big turn off. It gets bolder near the middle of the tongue as well as chewy but still, not a good start. Carbonation is high. Mouth feel gets very big and chewy after a while. Flavor profile is very malty with a bit of a nutty presence but getting more chocolate.

Nutty after taste. Some detectable alcohol oddly enough on the swallow with a slight warming sensation.

I dont see the appeal to this beer to be honest :(

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)