Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Appearance - Clear, Dark Amber with golden, red highlights. Very smooth and creamy off white, cream colored two finger head with very nice lacing.

Smell - Roasted malt with hints of walnut and caramel.

Taste - Taste of walnut with slight pecan flavoring that was very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Medium, chewy mouthfeel that really hangs on the palate. Very smooth, dry finish.

Drinkability - I want another!!! Probably couldn't drink very many of these during the real hot days of summer. I would love to have this during the fall and winter months however.

Definitely the best brown ale I have had thus far.

Shrews629, May 02, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Bright medium-brown with a mohogany tint. There is a nice, retentive, lacy head.

S- Aroma of nutty malt, warm cereal grains with maple.

T- Rich cereal grains, malt and yeasty biscuit flavors make up the front. Mid palate is a slightly sweet rich maltiness. The finish is creamy, rich and dry simultaneoulsy.

M, D- Medium bodied but rich with malt. The level of drinkability is very high. Don't drink too chilled, of course, which will dumb the aroma and mute the flavors!

A British icon. The S.S. Nut Brown is a classic example of the characteristics produced by the Yorkshire Squares.

WhiteOak, May 01, 2010

550ml bottle into a nonic. The beer is aptly nut-colored, a dark woody brown, with a finger of off-white foam topping the body. Clarity is excellent, and while the head dies down faster than I'd like, it's still a beautiful beer.

Toffee is strong on the nose, nuttiness surprisingly not, though there's a very pleasant toasted malt backbone that, combined with the toffee-like sweetness, vaguely resembles peanut brittle. The English yeast profile is distinct and characterful, lending a buttery cream-caramel note that's thoroughly enjoyable.

Very flavorful, with toffee again prominent but matched by an equally strong toasty bitterness. Earthy hops are faintly detected, along with some husky grain, buttered toast, biscuit and the slightest mineral twang. Near the finish a bit of over-steeped-tea-like astringency pops up, melding with the hops to create a drying, mildly bitter finish.

Quite enjoyable overall, an easy-drinking almost-session beer with plenty of character, though slightly rough around the edges.

largadeer, Apr 20, 2010

A: Poured dark amber with a moderate level of carbonation. The head died down rather quickly and just left a few bubbles floating on the surface.
S: There's a distinct nutty smell with a bit of malty sweetness.
T: The flavor is nutty, sweet and buttery and also has some hints of caramel malts.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate.
D: The beer is very easy to drink and is very much sessionable.

metter98, Apr 20, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Small bottle poured in a chalice.

A: Beautiful clear dark amber color with a small yellow head which dissipates quickly. A lot of lacings left.
S: Delicious smell of roasted caramel malts. Brown sugar and a bit of scotch smell.
T: Also delicious taste of roasted caramel malts. Light citrus bite and light "hoppy" end
M: Light body. Low carbonation. Balanced bitterness. A bit molasses. Very refreshing
D: Good. Very light and refreshing beer but at the same time with strong British personality

An authentic British Ale. Simply delicious! Light in alcohol and balanced bitterness, dry taste, strong smell and taste of roasted malts. I really recommend it.

eduardolinhalis, Apr 19, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1%

A. Poured into a nonic pint glass. Beautiful amber with a thick creamy tan head that fades to lacing.

S. Sweet malt with more subtle molasses.

T. Sweet upfront with a yeasty bread middle and a dry nut finish.

M. Slightly thin with a bit too much carbonation.

D. As you finish a sip, you are compelled to take another. Plenty flavorful to be interesting, but goes down easily; perfect for relaxing on a cool spring night watching the stars.

One of the best brown ales I've tried so far. I grabbed it out of the fridge because it has been sitting around for awhile (not because I was really compelled to drink it), but I was pleasantly surprised. I'll be picking this up again.

BeerAndBourbon, Apr 15, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

550mL bottle with gold foiled neck. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Clear reddish-brown color with a creamy one-finger tan head.

S: A malty explosion of caramel, toasted grains, roasted nuts, brown sugar, and butterscotch.

T: Sweet malts up front, mostly in the form of caramel, toast, nutty, coffee, and molasses. The yeast gives it an underlying smoothness.

M: Medium-bodied; smooth and creamy with a dry finish.

D: Not as heavy as some other browns; fairly easy to drink.

Notes: I'm a big fan of brown ales, and I'm glad that my 50th beer review is one of the best out there.

NeutroMan, Apr 12, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Medium amber brown with thick tan head and lots of carbonation. Spotty lacing.

Caramel malt nose up front followed by raisin and dark cherry sweetness throughout. Slightly nutty without much hop presence.

Sweet maltiness with more raisin flavor. Slightly bitter with an herbal hoppiness present. The finish and aftertaste show good nuttiness with some more raisin flavor.

Very crisp mouthfeel with a slightly thin body and mouthfeel.

goldbot, Apr 09, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A : Pours a lovely deep brown with amber red, highlights of speckly gold from fizzy bubbles. The tan head is roughly a finger and a half, and simmers slowly to a fuzzy topping. This is a lively looking brew if I've ever seen one.

S : The malty brew brings forth lots of nutty smells, almost of almond, with little bits of syrupy sweetness.

T : Mimics the smell almost exactly. The strong maltiness is all this brew is about. There is some level of hops to keep it from being too sweet, and it is a perfect balance. It finishes a smooth, fuzzy feel.

M : Medium to heavy mouthfeel. Doesn't roll or swish well, as the higher levels of carbonation tingles.

D : The price brings down the drinkability here. A 4 pack ran me 12 bucks. This is a beer designed to be slowly enjoyed, and the heavy mouthfeel leads itself to that.

This is, possibly my favorite beer yet. A quintessential brown ale. Fabulous. A must for anyone who likes the maltier brew.

ncfranklin, Apr 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured this into my goblet, showed deep brown/red color with good one inch head. goes down kinda fast and had good lacing

smelled great nutty and butterscotch aromas on the nose.

Tasted great I really liked it. nut brown ale tasted like a nut brown ale, butter, nuts, nice hops tasted great

Felt nice on the palate, its not as thick as i was thinking it was going to be so i was really impressed

could drink a few of them for sure, not a beer i would drink for a marathon though.

n0rc41, Apr 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Pours a light brown with red hue. Had about a one inch tan head that one minute later is now a thin, somewhat sticky cap.

S: Strong smell of sweet malts and nuttiness. Took a second whiff and the sweetness smells like caramel or butterscotch. Picked up on a small yeasty scent, too.

T: A well-balanced malty and nutty flavor. Underneath that sweet nuttiness is actually a slight hoppy bitterness that I didn't pick up in the scent. The after taste is all yeasty bread malts and nuts. Overall, it is a very tasty beer that lets the different flavors unfold as you drink.

M: Very smooth and medium bodied.. a little chewy to me as I continue to drink.

D: Very drinkable. The taste keeps you wanting more. Helps that it's a low abv %. I could see myself downing a lot of these in a pub somewhere in England.

SeasonalBrew, Mar 31, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours out a deep amber color with nice head lacing.

Smells of distant nut and butterscotch.

Tastes pretty nice, a little bit bitter with a smooth nutty butterscotch flavor. No hint of alcohol, and goes down nice, though with a noticeable bit of an off-sour finish.

Mouthfeel is just right for the style; thick enough but not syrupy and carbonated enough.

Highly drinkable- I could down a few of these larger bottles if the night called for it.

j37geogaddi, Mar 31, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with a gold foil top. Printed at bottom: "Yorkshire's Oldest Brewery." Couldn't find a bottling date.

Appearance: A deep, reddish, chestnut brown colour in the glass. Poured a nice tan, creamy two finger head, which it retained for a while. Decent lacing.

Smell: Pretty clean actually. Mild resinous hop aroma. Faint malty grain and caramel smell.

Taste: Strong malt flavors with some nut and butter qualities at the outset. Finishing dryer with some hoppy bitterness. Hoppier than most brown ales I've tried, but certainly not enough to overpower the malt. Pretty well balanced, although the malt flavors are a bit more prominent, which is typical of this style.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, and with a medium mouthfeel. However, it's fuller bodied than your average brown ale. Quite filling as well, almost like you're drinking a meal.

Impressions: I like it, probably one of the best brown ales, and an all around good beer.

irisier, Mar 30, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a pint glass it forms a one finger head that leaves moderate lacing. The appearance is brown and clear. The aroma is of spicy hops and malt. The taste is moderately bitter with slight malty sweetness. The feel is medium to light bodied with a perfectly clean finish.

This is a highly drinkable, enjoyable and delicious ale.

rfabian, Mar 27, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - Not as dark as I expected, small but foamy head, looks decently carbonated in the glass. Head retention is ok, it is lacing my glass nicely.

Smell - Smells quite sweet, a bit brighter and less earthy than I was let on, but nevertheless smells good. Mainly malty and caramel type smells. Fruity aromas are present as well. Earthier aromas are easier to pick up once beer warms.

Taste - Clean and dry finish but leaves a nutty aroma in the mouth. I like how it leaves the taste in aroma rather than physical form. Slight tart corresponds with the fruity parts of the smell. A touch of bitterness. I don't feel like the tartness matches the other characters of the beer well though. I kind of wish the nutty flavor was more of a physical kiss than a "blown kiss" if I am making myself clear.

Mouthfeel - Medium to medium-low carbonation. Taste makes an appropriate entrance and leaves with good manners. Its a little thinner consistency than what I'd like from it though.

Drinkability - This beer has a lot going for it, other than the tartness which doesn't seem to fit. The tartness doesn't overstay though. I guess thats the main thing thats holding this beer back to me. I don't think I'll be having another one of these, but I will continue to explore this style.

NA1NSXR, Mar 25, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 550 ML bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a deep brown with 2 giners of off white head. Nice lacing and little carbonation.

s - Smells of roasted malts, nuts, bready malts, and caramel.

t - Tastes of caramel, some bready malts, and nuts again. Nice mixture.

m - Smooth and easy to drink. Medium body and almost no carbonation.

d - An above average brown ale. Nice malty/caramel taste to it. Would have liked a little more carbonation. Would have again.

mdfb79, Mar 24, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a slightly cloudy brown color with nice cap of cream colored head with good retention and lacing. Smell is forward of carmel malts, roasted nuts, faint hints of buttery biscuits and slightly astringent. Taste up front is slightly astrigent, moving into a nice blend of mellow carmel malts (not very sweet) with a nice roasted nut charachter, bitter earthy hops round out the taste. Medium bodied, excellent cask like feel. A nice beer with a few muddled, earthy flavors, could have kicked up the malts just a touch.

rfgetz, Mar 22, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

Consumed 3-23-10 from a pint glass. Best by data Sept. ´10.

This seems like a good choice for my 100th beer.

A - Less than one finger of a light beige head. Not really nut color more like a nutty fruit cheese color. the beer itself was a bubbling golden walnut brown. Afterwards there was some nice lacing that sparkled like a crystal.

S - Initially airy and very softly caramel and maple syrup. After warming it became sweeter with butterscotch and bourbon corn notes.

T - A bit too sour honestly. There is a bit of the intenseness of green walnuts. Unripe and inky. This left a sourly bitter aftertaste like dead yeast. The caramel malts were nice but the balsamic vinegar flavors seemed un-intentional

M - A bit loose and hollow. The carbonation gives a bit of crispness.

D - This is a pleasant drinkable beer. But there seems to be a lot of inconsistency from one batch to the next.

jeranbrews, Mar 22, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A- dark brown, very clear, off white head that disappears quickly
S- green apples, apricot, dried figs, pumpkin pie spice, hints of licorice
T- nice malt backbone, walnuts, wood, green apples, upfront bitterness quickly disappears
M- med body, appropriate carbonation
D- very smooth complementing flavors, nice session beer

GoBrewOrGoHome, Mar 22, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Glass - Pint

A - Clear red/dark brown color with a 1-2 finger off white head, didn't stick around at all. Lacing, not much at all but the a nice ring of foam stuck around till the end.

S - Bold nuttiness with notes of butter, pretty dry as well with some semi bight apple notes and cracker. Simple and still inviting.

T - Very nutty with traces of butter throughout, wonderful biscuit & toast finishes with more buttery & nuttiness. Soft bitterness balances it all out.

M - Lite-moderate crispness, slightly thin feel and goes down easy. Lite bodied, compliments flavor profile perfectly! I love the feel.

D - Wow, does this brewery make a bad beer? Just flawless, simple, refreshing, delicious and very drinkable. I could down a 6pack of this brew, just so nutty and buttery, ahh, very very good. I definitely recommend this one, and I would buy another for sure. Cheers!

PintOHops, Mar 21, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1%

Bought from my local Wilmington, NC Harris Teeter. Although seemingly a fairly common beer, this baby got high marks, so had to give her a try.

Looks delicious from the pour. Frothy, foamy. Nice color and huge head. I drank this beer in two pours, and on the second one I intentionally poured it a big ol' head just to see what kind of lacing we were working with here. It didn't disappoint. NICE.

The smell. Now, I think I'm working with a bit of a cold right now, but I must say, I was NOT impressed. I can't pick up much of anything! I smell something sweet, perhaps caramel hints. Maybe a bit of chocolate, I don't know. There's definitely some sweet malt there, but it's a little hard for me to pick up on.

Everyone says taste and smell are closely intertwined, but I'm going to have to differ on this beer. The taste is MUCH better than the smell. It's sweet, but not too sweet. The first taste is mildly bitter, but it finishes sweetly, and leaves an aftertaste similar to that of dark chocolate. I love dark chocolate, and thusly this beer tastes great to me.

I thought the carbonation wasn't too overbearing. I usually like bears with a lot of carbonation, but I think that for an English Brown Ale I like less so I can get a better idea of the taste. Yes, I am Captain Obvious, but I felt like it needed to be said.

This beer was $3.99 for a 550 mL bottle, so being broke and in school, I won't be drinking it often. But I'm glad I got a shot at trying it, and I think it was quite worth it.

Chadpaq, Mar 19, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -14.4%

550mL bottle, $3.89 at the Beverage King in West Lebanon NH. Poured into a chilled pint glass.

Reddish brown mahogany brew, 1 finger of ecru head settles to whisps and large bubbles. Huge nose of bread pudding, apple cider, yeast, raw malt, slight banana ester. Very raw smelling, as if it were still fermenting. Taste is unexpected, dominated by fruit juice... apple cider and grape juice. Actually, it reminds me very much of the catawba grape wines I've had in the Finger Lakes. Behind that is a moderate backbone of malt that gives it the mouthfeel of a beer. Also detect caramel, melon, citrus. Grape wine lingers in the aftertaste. Nothing at all like I expected. Very surprising, but not necessarily bad. Trying to wrap my head around it. I'll have to get another bottle in order to see if this is a fluke. If it isn't I'll enjoy the weirdness again.

EDIT: got a second bottle from a different store (so more likely to be from a different batch). This time around the brew lacks the huge fruity aspects I noted before. Instead, it has a sour edge to it with S/T notes of walnut or hazelnut. Much more like a brown ale than before, more like what I expected. Seems to be some significant variation between bottles/ batches.

BeerNinja007, Mar 18, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +13.7%

A: Great reddish brown with a cream-white head that is super thick and lacing all the way down the glass

S: big aroma of fresh baked breads with some really nice semi-sweet chocolate notes in there. There is a malty sweetness in the smell

T: There is rich maltiness right off the bat that's quickly followed by a variety of chocolate covered fruits. There are subtle dark fruit flavors (prune, raison) but I am getting a good dose of grape fruit in here as well. The entire palate is also filled with a biscuity backbone from the likely british pale malt base grain. This is a very complex beer. Although, admitidely, the description sounds odd, it works very well

M: A bit thin, but that lends itself to some serious drinkability. Very good dry finish that leaves the palate wanting more.

D: As noted above, this is top quality on the drinkability scale. World-class example of the style. Best nut brown I've had, hands down!

LyonsHead, Mar 16, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours a dark amber with a light tan head. The initial aroma is very nutty, but light at the same time...pleasant. Tastes VERY nutty...almost (don't kill me for saying this) cola-esque. Regardless, its a totally awesome taste and I love it. Ridiculously light, and I could definitely see myself pounding back a ton of these in an evening if I wasn't poor. This is actually the first brown ale I've ever had, and I want more. Its that good.

bigfnjoe, Mar 16, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -1%

A - Clear deep chestnut brown with a good sized foamy off-white head. Nice retention settling into a nice lacing.

S - Nutty and a good amount of toasted malt, grain, caramel, and toffee. A bit of English hops, mostly herbal and some earthiness.

T - A lot of nutty flavor is present throughout the sip. Along with that is a slight earthy taste too. Starting off the sip is a fair amount of toasted malt along with some caramel and toffee as well as some grain. This weakens and the nutty earthy taste comes more to the forefront. This gives it a slightly bitter taste that finishes pretty dry. Slight mineral taste on the finish as well.

M - Medium to full body with slightly above average carbonation. Pretty smooth and a drying finish.

D - Nice drinkability that goes down easy and is well balanced in regards to flavors.

Notes: A nice brown ale that is slightly sweet with the malts and slightly bitter. Good amount of nut flavors as the name suggests. Easy drinker and a solid everyday kind of beer.

FreshHawk, Mar 14, 2010
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)