Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance: Pours to a gorgeous brown with golden hints. Strong, golden/tan foam is tall and durable.

Smell: Very lightly scented. I picked up a nutty aroma, with a slight hint of hops.

Taste: This is an outstanding example of an English brown -- if not the standard by which other EB's can be held to. Subtle, slightly bitter opening gives way to a hint of sweetness. A nutty, hoppy, but still subtle finish follows. Very smooth and good to drink.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, and on the light side. Not watery, though. Mild carbonation present.

Drinkability: Very good. A pint (or three) of this slips down quite nicely. Very refreshing.

This is another one of my favorites, and an excellent brew overall.

PerroGrande, Aug 26, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Brown body with a ruddy hue when held up to light. Nice rock solid head that doesn't like to budge.

S: An overall pervading sweet malt smell. Not much else that stands out, but very soothing and not at all offensive.

T: Sweet malt taste is huge and saturates the mouth, along with an ever-present nuttiness. Slight bitterness when it first hits the tongue but that sensation melts away very quickly.

M: So damn smooth and malty, like silk.

D: Great food pairing just to provide refreshment and a break from the flavors of whatever you're eating. Went great with the homemade meatloaf I was having.

thekanna, Aug 25, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

poured from bottle into tumbler pint

a- rusty brown body, brown as dirt but translucent. excellent heavy head that lasts fairly long and leaves rings of lacing.

s- smells like a nutty starbucks coffee drink with the slightest addition of malt and hops in the background. well balanced and mouth watering.

t- taste is classic english brown till the nutty finish. again almost like a cold flavored coffee syrup.

m/d- mouthfeel is med body and med carbonation. drinkability is excellent and i can definatley see making a session out of this stuff. this beer would go great with desserts also .

tj4288, Aug 24, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance
Attractive amber/brown color sits below a frothy tan head

Smell
Not a big aroma, and what is there seems mineral-like

Taste & Mouthfeel
Wonderful flavor--light and smooth but showcasing a wonderful balance of caramel and just enough bitterness plus a nutty dryness; the water source must be high in something, as there's a slight rock-like/mineral quality

Overall
A classic brown ale, made even more special by the nutty hazelnut-like finish. This is one I could drink multiples of in one sitting and one I will revisit regularly.

JEdmund, Aug 23, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10%

A- Dark ruby/brown color. 1 finger tan/white head. Very delicious looking. Perfect for a brown ale.

S- Nutty smell, with some malts, sugary even.

T- Smooth, creamy, malty. Just like a brown ale should taste. Hints of nuts, some hops on the finish. Again, perfect for the style.

M- Good balance of smoothness and carbonation.

D- Highly drinkable. Perfect Session beer. Could easily slug back 5-6 of these.

Other- THe perfect brown ale in my mind. A shining example of the style.

mdale13, Aug 20, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

Dark ruby/ copper brown. Head is tan brown in color, about 2 inches on a hard pour. Nice thick head, perfect for the style. Stayed for the whole pint! Decent lace, nothing special here.

The nose is dark, a little malty, but not roasted at all. Getting a lot of brown sugar, backed by a pretty strong malt/ bread character. Impressive, but not the best nut browns I've smelled. Solid.

The taste is near perfect for the style. Not overwhelming, but full of brown malts. Nutty on the finish with just a touch of hops, asking you to take another drink. Great palate. Again, nothing extreme, just a great representation of the style. Just a tad too light in the mouthfeel for me. Could coat my whole mouth better, but, it is still very good.

Extremely high drinkablity. Could've downed a few more of these. Excellent balance of malt and sweetness, just a touch of sour. The hops really come out on the swallow. Overall though, the beer is pretty mild, making is easily drinkable.

I see that others are correct in calling this a classic. I will gladly buy more of these. It is also a great beer to introduce to macro-drinkers, to show them the soft, subtle points of beer that they've been missing.

Darkhorse09, Aug 19, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a dark reddish brown, nice creamy head leaving great lacing. Smells of strong caramel and toffee notes, vanilla, brown sugar, some breadiness, . Tastes of light caramel malt with a nice forward cocoa taste, some toasted grain. Nice sharp bitterness near the end finishing with some more faint chocolate and brown sugar and raisins. Great creamy mouthfeel, full bodied with good carbonation.

A really great beer, lots of layers and flavors throughout. Great body compliments the sweetness with good carbonation and bitterness to balance everything. Amazing beer.

bum732, Aug 15, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Clear brown with a blanketing tan head. Lace that sticks like paint.

Smells like sweet christmas spice and vanilla bean over root beer malt. Nice beer to stick your nose in.

Tastes like molasses and vanilla bean with a nutty and herbal hop finish.

Good stuff.

donkeyrunner, Aug 14, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

must be on a brown ale kick lately. had a few, enjoyed most.

quite a looker. dark shiny copper with a good bit of red thrown in. nice fluffy full tan head. great retention and lacing. low carbonation.

light on the aroma. some malty nutty hints, but fairly faint. a bit of sweet honey but not as smooth as i had expected.

characteristic english malty sweetness is the main flavor component. a bit more complexity to it with some hop flavor as well as other malty layers playing their part.

mouthfeel is smooth enough, but overall it doesnt lift this beer to the next level. im starting to think adding the "nut" to a brown ale might not be a great thing. i really expect them to deliver and end up disappointed half the time. this is a fairly good beer, but if its a nut brown ale im after i'll pass on this one.

joecast, Aug 12, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Chestnut brown, clear. Medium head with somewhat weak retention. Pretty good lacing, though not outstanding.

S - Smells strongly of sweet, burned sugar and maple syrup. A very pleasant nutty caramel smell overall.

T - Taste is of burned sugar, toasted malts and caramel. There is also a slight bitterness to its finish. On the whole the taste is not that bold or rich. I expected more.

M - Average mouthfeel. Not particularly thin or heavy.

D - Very drinkable, but it suffers slightly from a subdued flavor and a strange bitter aftertaste.

After reading so many good things, I found this brown ale to be slightly overhyped, but still very tasty. Good but not great.

hossua34, Aug 09, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a medium reddish brown color with a 1 finger tan head that holds up fairly well and leaves a medium amount of lacing.

Smells of caramel and nuts with a little bit of sugar in the back. The initial aroma seemed strong but after a few seconds there wasn't much there and it was hard to detect much else.

The taste quickly rectified the subdued smell, with clean notes of roasted malt, caramel, toffee, a hint of fruit and of course an overall nuttiness.

Mouthfeel was a little light with not much carbonation. This was a good brown ale that I will likely go to again when I'm in the mood for this style.

Vengeance526, Aug 05, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

From the bottle to a tall mug-
Look: Pours a deep red amber, bubbly pale brown head.

Smell: Rich and sweet, hoppy.

Taste: Interesting flavors on the tongue (nuts, malts), but nothing too strong. Aftertaste is a pronounced bitterness, a bit nutty.

Feel: Fairly light, moderate carbonation.

Drink: It's not as strong as I'd like, and considering the terrific smell, the taste leaves something to be desired. Still, I found myself downing gulp after gulp, so it must be doing something right. Nice if you're going to have a few drinks.

SteveS1, Aug 04, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Samuel Smith makes great organic beers so, this was the one beer that I was looking really forward to on my beer tasting evening with RvDoorn... and the one we would most disagree on. The botlle itself is beyond beatiful, museum piece!!!

A: Dark ruby color with a very dense head that remains throughout the drink.

S: Caramel, sweet syrup, banana, raisins as well as some citrus terpenes.

T: WOW great taste. Like RvDoorn says, reminds me of the strong golden barley wine. Malts,fruits and a strong bitterness. Almost too strong but with some small snacks aside it was no problem for me.

M: Nice creamy mouthfeel, medium carbonation and no alcohols.

D: YES, another great Samuel Smith on my list. An exceprional Ale. Next round of tasting I will bring on the Oatmeal Stout!!! Actually the first beer where me and RvDoorn didn't agree.

PapaEugene, Aug 02, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Good old Porter's Pub in Easton was the site of another night out with great friend and great brews. I've recently started my own beer mug list and I was excited to check this one off after having my first Sam Smith's last visit.

A: Caramel brown with a touch of ruby and a decent head with nice lacing

S: Lovely caramel and nuts from the malt with a distinct bit of alcohol

T: WOW, Starts with caramel sweetness which is then perfectly balanced with a dry, nutty bitterness

M: Nice carbonation and a good full body

D: WOW again, this was a truly outstanding brew, my new favorite Brown Ale. Sam Smith's blows me away again, how they pack this much flavor into a brew with alcohol this low is amazing. This is true treat for any beer drinker, incredible balance and drinkability. Try this brew immediately, Sam Smith's time tested brews prove that balance can still stand out in an extreme beer world.

jdg204, Aug 02, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

And another beer taste with PapaEugene during an already rememberable beer evening. This time a beer from my favorite British brewery, Samuel Smith. Poured into an Urthel glass. The beers pours a beautiful dark-ruby color, with a very dense head, that disappears slowly.

The scent is amazing, light hints of caramel, maple syrup, banana and some raisins.

The taste is, at first, fantastic! Really similar to one of my favorite Sam Smith beers, the Strong Golden Barley Wine, a little bit lighter in taste though. Nice bit sweet caramel, lots of malts and fruits. But then... after a second, a horribly strong, flat bitterness appears. Normally I love bitter aftertaste, but this one comes way too early. It kills the beautiful first taste almost completely. Why doesn't it appear just a little later....that would have made the beer nearly perfect.

The mouthfeel is, like most Samuel Smith beers, fantastic. Thick, smooth with medium carbonation

Overall, it could have been such a fantastic beer, could have... It is not, because the flat bitterness is there way too early. What a pity. But still a decent beer that I would like to drink again in the future

rvdoorn, Jul 31, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

I haven't had this beer in a long, long, time and I am actually mad at myself for that at this very moment.

This is an absolutely incredible brown ale. I remember having this a number of years ago when I was much more of a novice taster, and as such, was kind of stuck in my ways and not capable of seeing the "bigger picture" and appreciating all styles.

A few years later, and now an avid enthusiast of all beer, I am coming back to this ale and I am blown away.

The appearance of this beer is just outstanding. A wonderful, deep brown with incredible head retention and lacing.

The aroma is nothing short of phenomenal. I get a lot of rich malts, fruits - raisins, dates, fig, a touch of molasses, a reminiscence of banana nut bread, butterscotch, and of course NUTS! To my own senses, I experience the nuttiness as a banana and walnut kind of thing, but that's just me. In any case, the aroma is just wonderful!

Taste - Oh my! How did I not appreciate this beer before? (I guess this proves to myself how much I've grown as a taster!) This is just an amazing brown ale. I can't get over it. Rich, malty, utterly satisfying. Wow!

Mouthfeel - perfect. No further comment

Drinkability - I can't believe I only bought one of these. I will be drinking this again tomorrow night.

Overall, this beer prompted a revelation for me. You should try it if you haven't already. Phenomenal!

sudsface69, Jul 31, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Dark caramel color, two finger head that laced well, medium carbonation.

S - rich caramel smell with malt over hops.

T - boom! nice thick and grainy. could taste the caramel.

M - tasted in the back of the mouth, feel was well above average.

D - great beer, has been one of my faves, if not my fave, for many years!

maleman, Jul 31, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

APPEARANCE:
Pours a reddish brown color with a large tan head that dissipates slowly. Moderate lacing.
AROMA:
Burt sugar, chocolate and toasted malt.
FLAVOR:
Toasted malts, caramel and hint of apple.
MOUTHFEEL:
Light to medium body. Slightly dry finish. Fizzy carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Easy drinking smooth well balanced beer. I wish it had a creamier mouthfeel. I realize this is nut brown but for some reason I can't pick up that flavor. There is also a bit metallic finish.
NOTES: BBCSD-0906-Tim

seanbhudson, Jul 30, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

The pour is a medium brown with two fingers' tan head. Retention and lacing are decent.

The nose is composed of nuts, yeast and a hint of chocolate.

The taste is more of the same with the nuts up front followed by a mild bitterness with the chocolate becoming more pronounced.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a nice amount of carbonation for its style. Drinkability is okay. If I were having a session, I would probably start my night with it, drink it slowly, then go for something else the rest of the night.

This is a good example of a brown ale that I will be buying again.

CityBoy1986, Jul 26, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I liked this beer from the start.
Poured from a bottle into an ale glass. Exceptional nut brown beer with two fingers of tan foam. Lacing is evident but not longlasting. The smell of toasted malt and a hint of sweetness made me stop and smell again before I tasted. Deep rich taste with almost no bitterness, just alittle sweetness. Nice finish with great mouthfeel. The carbonation is very appropriate and feels a good cup of coffee. The drinkability is good, however, I don't think that I could drink more than one or two in one sitting.

ProfessorCJ, Jul 24, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a deep redish brown with a thick off-white head and good lacing

S - Lots of sweet roasted malts, yeast and maybe a faint hint of bitter dark chocolate

T - Solid nut brown ale. Sweet malts up front with a bread crust bitter bite on the finish. Faint nut and caramel notes and faint dark chocolate

M&D - Bready and creamy mouthfeel with the perfect balance of carbonation for this style

With the low ABV, it makes a great session beer and blows Newcastle away

Moxley, Jul 23, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Serving type: 550 ml bottle.

Appearance - Deep amber color, white foam head.

Smell - Toasted malt, nuts, on the sweet side overall.

Taste - A moderately bitter taste balanced by strong nut flavor and malts. I taste a bit of caramel in there too. Tastes as the smell would indicate.

Mouthfeel - Moderate body and carbonation, well balanced and complex.

Drinkability - Smooth, but this is more of one to savor or drink with food I think.

A bit on the bitter side for my taste in brown ales, but overall, a very solid and enjoyable beer. Definitely recommended.

Flightoficarus, Jul 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Bought a 550 mL bottle at my local grocery store. I had this years ago and am reapproaching it as a classic example of the nut brown style.

Appearance: a beautiful medium amber. When I poured this, I got a couple fingers' worth of foamy white head. Looks awesome.

Smell: in addition to the malt and subtle nuttiness, I get a pretty strong yeast/bread smell. Not bad, but not wholly beneficial to the experience.

Taste: a well-balanced bitterness pervades the palate. There is also a very strong nut flavor. This is really what I think of when I think of nut brown ales. The word that really comes to mind here is "sophisticated".

Mouthfeel: medium body, though not creamy. It is very slightly astringent; I think this adds to the complexity and enjoyment.

Drinkability: while it is eminently tasty and not too dense, I don't think I'd consider this a session beer. It's more of one to really savor, and then move on.

flagmantho, Jul 21, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a dark brown - with a thin, very quick to dissipate head.

S - Very sweet smells, the smell obviously lingers towards the maltiness of this beer. Caramels, bready sweetness, all very nice.

T - A little more bitter then I expected from the smell, which isn't a bad thing. The balance is a little off with this beer, the bitter is not from hops, but something else.

M - Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Not syrupy like you might expect.

D - Overall this is a tasty, drinkable beer. This is the beer I recommend to my friends that drink Newcastle. This is a great steeping stone beer for that.

darthweef, Jul 20, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into my beer mug a cola brown with a 2 finger fluffy off-white head that recedes to something a little rockier with some lacing around the sides of the glass.

You can smell the "nut brown" smell from the end of the arm of the couch, it seems pretty powerful. Bringing it up to my nose I can smell some slight malty sweetness with with some light fruits like pear and apples.

Taste is much the same, with malty sweetness in the front, finishing with the light fruits. The slight pear taste to this is delightful. Perhaps could be a little more roasty, but I won't split hairs on this one. I like the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel is on par with the style, slightly watery with some pretty good carbonation.

Man oh man is this drinkable! I've had some nut browns, and while I believe Rogue has a better offering, this is more of a sessionable beer for both the price per ounce and the milder taste.

This was delicious with my Cheddarwurst lunch, though I made sure to taste the beer and take notes before eating, it paired nicely.

xenolithic, Jul 20, 2009
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)