Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros

fiveiron, May 26, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

Smells light, aley and deliscious. Almost nutty. Very enticing. The head is tightly and loosely bubbled at the same time with an off-white hue and it lasts quite a while. The flavor is light with sweet malt and light but present hopping. Somewhat of a nutty aftertaste that begs you take another sip. Not an overly complex flavor, but quality. Recommended

LordChesterfield, Oct 15, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating. Served in an imperial pint.

Pours a medium brown with reddish tints when held up to the light. A reasonably hard pour produced a big, frothy, light tan head which was mostly lasting and left a wall of lacing on one side of the glass. The body of the beer is generally clear with some decent carbonation. The aroma is of moderately sweet toffee-like malts in the forefront, with nutty notes and a floral/perfumey hoppiness just below the surface. I pick up a little doughiness from the yeast as well. The taste is similar to the nose with the slightly sweet malts barely taking the lead over the floral/herbal hop flavors. This is reminiscent of an English mild ale with a more pronounced hop character. Mouthfeel is medium-light bodied with a somewhat thin texture and some accommodating carbonation. Finishes pretty clean.

This is an alright beer. The flavor is on the lighter side, which might make it highly drinkable for some, but for me, there is just not enough here to keep me coming back.

littleshamrocks, Jan 18, 2008

tvljr, Apr 13, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz. bottle, chilled

Pours a transluscent medium-brown, has a nice thick, foamy white head. Has a definite sweet, nutty aroma. Taste is great too, mostly a sweetish malt and nut flavor, not very bitter. It has low carbonation and although it's more medium-bodied I think it's highly drinkable since it's smooth and not too overpowering.
Would make a great session beer, perhaps a good intro to craft beers as brown ales tend to be on the mild side. Highly recommended.

Sudsy89, Sep 19, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Vinylboy20, Jun 23, 2013

kgammell1, Nov 06, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

The appearance was a great change from the Sam Adams Boston Lager, Deep Brown in color but sparklingly clear.

Smell: Not very strong, but it could be me, this is back to back days.

Taste and mouthfeel: Delicious, nutty dark malts with a rich flavor, mouthfeel was rich and buttery. I gargle the best of beers like this one regardless of where I'm at, what an asshole I've become...

Drinkability: This is to be enjoyed like fine wine, sip this as slow as your thirst allows.

Stonebreaker, Jul 22, 2008

t3hPl4gu3, Jun 06, 2012

jonphilipp, Jul 08, 2012

Rgalvin, Jan 28, 2013

BuddyE, Mar 26, 2013

dren74, Jul 04, 2013

Bill_Murray, Sep 13, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

To be fair, I have a soft spot for Sammy Smith's beers from my underage days when my friends and I would go to New York City and get served underage and drink these.

Serving type: Bottle from the four pack

Appearance: Dark brown

Aroma: Nutty and malty

Taste: THIS IS IT!!! Exectional taste and character. Smooth with a creamy texture yet also sweet at the beginning and then ends with that dry nutty taste.

Drinkability: Awesome is what comes to mind. So easy to drink.

Overall: All other nut brown ales should bow to this offering from Samuel Smiths. It is everything an English nut brown ale should be. Exceptional character with a remarkable taste. I actually knew then what I know now and that is quality. Only wish I could find it on tap at a reputable establishment in the New York/Philly area.

dahlen22, Mar 03, 2010

JDWEX1117, Dec 08, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

A- 4 Pours a clear, reddish-brown. There's a quickly dissipating one-finger layer of bubbly tan head that ends up being less than 1/4" throughout. It has silk sheet-like lacing.

S- 4.5 Delightful smell, I just wish it were a tad stronger! I get candied pecans and hazelnut, possibly a slight roasted tone as well. Dark malts are present here and contribute to a sweetness that makes brown sugar and caramel come to mind.

T- 4.5 Great-tasting brown ale. It is nutty and malty/caramel sweet, with an ample level of hop bitterness that brings it in balance. None of its individual flavors stand out to me in general, but rather they combine to make one really good, well-rounded taste. Slightly dry aftertaste.

M- 5 Perfectly carbonated, this is a clean and smooth medium body ale that has just enough creaminess to it.

D- 4.5 One of my favorite brews in a favorite style, the Sammy Smith Nut Brown is a go-to beer for me. It is balanced in flavor and goes down easily. I'd recommend it to almost everyone. One of the best aspects of this brew - you can get it almost anywhere!

KYBrewgrass, Mar 11, 2011

Kinzei, Mar 30, 2013

Davideo, Apr 04, 2014
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Tonight I was in the mood for a brown ale. Fortunately, I had one of these around. Poured a warm, earthy and somewhat reddish brown into a pint glass. I like the colour...just the right warmth for a cool rainy fall evening. Smells brown. Hard to say exactly what I mean by that...but it just does. A little roasty, a little nutty...brown.

This beer tastes very good...strikes me as well-balanced. There's a little sweet there, and a little bitter...even some , but only really at the end, and even then, pretty light. Maybe a bit like hazelnuts. Feels good in the mouth...again, nicely balanced. Not real heavy, not real light.

Overall, I really like this beer. It's good, and strikes me as a good example of the style. Certainly much better than several other nut brown ales I've had. I would happily drink it again. Several in a night? Sure. Happy to. Would I seek it out? Maybe, particularly on cool fall nights like this one.

nokes, Oct 28, 2008

tjb27, Jan 07, 2014

l0rddavis, Jul 27, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +10%

First bottle I;ve tried from the Samuel Smith gift pack.

Nice lacing

There is very strong roasted smell with a slight alcohol smell. Just right

Flavor has the right mix of toasted malt and hops with the right amount of bitterness. Finishes smooth with a very pleasent after taste.

Goes down easy, a little to easy ;-) I like this much better than all the other nut brown ales I've tried. I'm actually pissed that I split the bottle with my wife. This is probably the best beer I've had to date.

pmatz2, Dec 11, 2005

railman, Dec 09, 2011

RollBeerTide, Mar 15, 2013
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)