Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: It has a nice brown color to it with ruby and amber hues. It has a nice tan head that dies down slowly and leaves some lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of sweet roasty malts, caramel, nuts and some dark fruit. (Cherries, grapes)

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a sweet malty character to it, roasty nuts, nice fruit character, caramel and some hops giving it a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/medium carbonation with a nice sweet overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

4.5/5  rDev +10%

2.7/5  rDev -34%

I got a bottle of the Nut Brown Ale in Samuel Smith's Holiday Gift Pack for $11.99 at Meijers. I have never had a beer from Samuel Smith before so I thought I would start out with their most popular beer and see what this old English brewery is all about. No visible bottling date. Poured from a foiled brown 550ml bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little plain but they probably had the same label for a while to keep that classic look to go with the brewery. It poured a nice light brown color that looked mostly dark amber when held to the light and it had two and a half fingers worth of fluffy off white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice sheets of lacing. This is a pretty good looking beer to say the least.

S- The aroma is very different from most Brown Ale's I have had, this might be the difference between an American version of an English Brown Ale, and the traditional English version. At the start I pick up a good amount of caramel malts that have a toffee and hazelnut like aroma. After that I get some sweet dark fruits, mainly raisins that make for an aroma that is pretty sweet and very similar to a sweet sherry. A very weird and different aroma that is strangely close to sherry.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma. It starts off with with a good amount of very lightly toasted caramel malts that impart a bready and biscuit like flavor that has a high amount of sweetness to it. In the middle there is a slight bit of earthy hops and a light amount of nuttiness that has a chestnut like flavor. The finish had a low amount of bitterness and the after taste was pretty sweet and slightly nutty. Too sweet for my taste.

M- Sweet, medium dryness, on the light side of being medium bodied and it had a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is ok but I wish it was a little less watery.

Overall I thought this was an OK beer that really didn't impress me too much, I had pretty high hopes for this highly acclaimed English Brown Ale, but there were a couple things about this beer that really weren't for me and left me disappointed. It went down somewhat smooth but for me the high amount of sweetness made this beer not too drinkable, I am glad I am splitting this with my brother, it might be a chore for me to finish the bottle by myself. What I liked most about this beer was the look, it looked pretty damn good especially in the brewery's signature pint glass. What I liked least about this beer was the taste and aroma, it smelled very similar to sherry with a little bit of apple juice, and the taste was way too sweet with not enough nutty flavor to it and a sweet aftertaste. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I enjoy American versions of English Brown Ales much more then this beer, I think they have a better malt profile, better body, and a better nut flavor in most. This beer is worth a try to see where you stand on the traditional take on a Brown Ale, but if you are use to the American versions this might be a bit too sweet, like it was for me. I had very high hopes for this beer and it just didn't live up to them, it was too sweet and not nutty enough for a beer labeled as a nut brown. After reading some other reviews I think this beer might be a little old, but with no bottling date I can't be sure and I don't think an old beer would would be the cause of the high level of sweetness that made this beer a little hard to drink. It's safe to say I am not a fan of this beer, I hope the other two from the holiday pack are much better then this one was.

4.05/5  rDev -1%

A- Medium brown with a slight amber hue. Tan head with good lacing.

S- Caramel malts with a hint of hazelnut. Smells sweet and malty.

T- A little bit of bitterness and sourness up front, malty in the middle with a nutty and sweet finish. Has good flavors, but the initial taste is a little sour.

M- Very smooth, light bubbly and refreshing.

O- I can't really get past the sour taste, but everything else is great.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours clear brown with foamy tan head with good retention. Patchy lacing. Aroma is dominated by toasted malt with sweet caramel, a touch of alcohol towards the end of the glass.

Taste seems to be different from aroma, it starts with dry and nutty roasted malts, nicely complemented by sweetish caramel and a light touch of hops, all nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is soft and smooth medium with low carbonation.

Very drinkable and satisfying.

4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

Served in a tulip... amber red-brown in color ... two finger head, white with a little tan...

Chestnuts and fruit in the nose... caramel and butterscotch candy.

Malts and nut flavor... dried cherry on wood.. strong mixed nuts aftertaste and even taste on lips... butterscotch emerges halfway through, especially when held on the tongue... all this plus the Samuel Smith signature well water, it's bitter and earthy.

perfect carbonation for allowing the taste to come through first.. basically it doesn't get in the way... goes down the throat like a whisper. the taste stays with me...

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)