Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

And another beer taste with PapaEugene during an already rememberable beer evening. This time a beer from my favorite British brewery, Samuel Smith. Poured into an Urthel glass. The beers pours a beautiful dark-ruby color, with a very dense head, that disappears slowly.

The scent is amazing, light hints of caramel, maple syrup, banana and some raisins.

The taste is, at first, fantastic! Really similar to one of my favorite Sam Smith beers, the Strong Golden Barley Wine, a little bit lighter in taste though. Nice bit sweet caramel, lots of malts and fruits. But then... after a second, a horribly strong, flat bitterness appears. Normally I love bitter aftertaste, but this one comes way too early. It kills the beautiful first taste almost completely. Why doesn't it appear just a little later....that would have made the beer nearly perfect.

The mouthfeel is, like most Samuel Smith beers, fantastic. Thick, smooth with medium carbonation

Overall, it could have been such a fantastic beer, could have... It is not, because the flat bitterness is there way too early. What a pity. But still a decent beer that I would like to drink again in the future

rvdoorn, Jul 31, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +21.5%

I haven't had this beer in a long, long, time and I am actually mad at myself for that at this very moment.

This is an absolutely incredible brown ale. I remember having this a number of years ago when I was much more of a novice taster, and as such, was kind of stuck in my ways and not capable of seeing the "bigger picture" and appreciating all styles.

A few years later, and now an avid enthusiast of all beer, I am coming back to this ale and I am blown away.

The appearance of this beer is just outstanding. A wonderful, deep brown with incredible head retention and lacing.

The aroma is nothing short of phenomenal. I get a lot of rich malts, fruits - raisins, dates, fig, a touch of molasses, a reminiscence of banana nut bread, butterscotch, and of course NUTS! To my own senses, I experience the nuttiness as a banana and walnut kind of thing, but that's just me. In any case, the aroma is just wonderful!

Taste - Oh my! How did I not appreciate this beer before? (I guess this proves to myself how much I've grown as a taster!) This is just an amazing brown ale. I can't get over it. Rich, malty, utterly satisfying. Wow!

Mouthfeel - perfect. No further comment

Drinkability - I can't believe I only bought one of these. I will be drinking this again tomorrow night.

Overall, this beer prompted a revelation for me. You should try it if you haven't already. Phenomenal!

sudsface69, Jul 31, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Dark caramel color, two finger head that laced well, medium carbonation.

S - rich caramel smell with malt over hops.

T - boom! nice thick and grainy. could taste the caramel.

M - tasted in the back of the mouth, feel was well above average.

D - great beer, has been one of my faves, if not my fave, for many years!

maleman, Jul 30, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

APPEARANCE:
Pours a reddish brown color with a large tan head that dissipates slowly. Moderate lacing.
AROMA:
Burt sugar, chocolate and toasted malt.
FLAVOR:
Toasted malts, caramel and hint of apple.
MOUTHFEEL:
Light to medium body. Slightly dry finish. Fizzy carbonation.
DRINKABILITY:
Easy drinking smooth well balanced beer. I wish it had a creamier mouthfeel. I realize this is nut brown but for some reason I can't pick up that flavor. There is also a bit metallic finish.
NOTES: BBCSD-0906-Tim

seanbhudson, Jul 30, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

The pour is a medium brown with two fingers' tan head. Retention and lacing are decent.

The nose is composed of nuts, yeast and a hint of chocolate.

The taste is more of the same with the nuts up front followed by a mild bitterness with the chocolate becoming more pronounced.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a nice amount of carbonation for its style. Drinkability is okay. If I were having a session, I would probably start my night with it, drink it slowly, then go for something else the rest of the night.

This is a good example of a brown ale that I will be buying again.

CityBoy1986, Jul 25, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

I liked this beer from the start.
Poured from a bottle into an ale glass. Exceptional nut brown beer with two fingers of tan foam. Lacing is evident but not longlasting. The smell of toasted malt and a hint of sweetness made me stop and smell again before I tasted. Deep rich taste with almost no bitterness, just alittle sweetness. Nice finish with great mouthfeel. The carbonation is very appropriate and feels a good cup of coffee. The drinkability is good, however, I don't think that I could drink more than one or two in one sitting.

ProfessorCJ, Jul 24, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -1%

A - Pours a deep redish brown with a thick off-white head and good lacing

S - Lots of sweet roasted malts, yeast and maybe a faint hint of bitter dark chocolate

T - Solid nut brown ale. Sweet malts up front with a bread crust bitter bite on the finish. Faint nut and caramel notes and faint dark chocolate

M&D - Bready and creamy mouthfeel with the perfect balance of carbonation for this style

With the low ABV, it makes a great session beer and blows Newcastle away

Moxley, Jul 23, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Serving type: 550 ml bottle.

Appearance - Deep amber color, white foam head.

Smell - Toasted malt, nuts, on the sweet side overall.

Taste - A moderately bitter taste balanced by strong nut flavor and malts. I taste a bit of caramel in there too. Tastes as the smell would indicate.

Mouthfeel - Moderate body and carbonation, well balanced and complex.

Drinkability - Smooth, but this is more of one to savor or drink with food I think.

A bit on the bitter side for my taste in brown ales, but overall, a very solid and enjoyable beer. Definitely recommended.

Flightoficarus, Jul 22, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Bought a 550 mL bottle at my local grocery store. I had this years ago and am reapproaching it as a classic example of the nut brown style.

Appearance: a beautiful medium amber. When I poured this, I got a couple fingers' worth of foamy white head. Looks awesome.

Smell: in addition to the malt and subtle nuttiness, I get a pretty strong yeast/bread smell. Not bad, but not wholly beneficial to the experience.

Taste: a well-balanced bitterness pervades the palate. There is also a very strong nut flavor. This is really what I think of when I think of nut brown ales. The word that really comes to mind here is "sophisticated".

Mouthfeel: medium body, though not creamy. It is very slightly astringent; I think this adds to the complexity and enjoyment.

Drinkability: while it is eminently tasty and not too dense, I don't think I'd consider this a session beer. It's more of one to really savor, and then move on.

flagmantho, Jul 21, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Pours a dark brown - with a thin, very quick to dissipate head.

S - Very sweet smells, the smell obviously lingers towards the maltiness of this beer. Caramels, bready sweetness, all very nice.

T - A little more bitter then I expected from the smell, which isn't a bad thing. The balance is a little off with this beer, the bitter is not from hops, but something else.

M - Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Not syrupy like you might expect.

D - Overall this is a tasty, drinkable beer. This is the beer I recommend to my friends that drink Newcastle. This is a great steeping stone beer for that.

darthweef, Jul 20, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured into my beer mug a cola brown with a 2 finger fluffy off-white head that recedes to something a little rockier with some lacing around the sides of the glass.

You can smell the "nut brown" smell from the end of the arm of the couch, it seems pretty powerful. Bringing it up to my nose I can smell some slight malty sweetness with with some light fruits like pear and apples.

Taste is much the same, with malty sweetness in the front, finishing with the light fruits. The slight pear taste to this is delightful. Perhaps could be a little more roasty, but I won't split hairs on this one. I like the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel is on par with the style, slightly watery with some pretty good carbonation.

Man oh man is this drinkable! I've had some nut browns, and while I believe Rogue has a better offering, this is more of a sessionable beer for both the price per ounce and the milder taste.

This was delicious with my Cheddarwurst lunch, though I made sure to taste the beer and take notes before eating, it paired nicely.

xenolithic, Jul 20, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Deep reddish orange color, very clear and nice to look at. The head is big, fluffy and a lovely shade of tan. It pillows up about an inch or two and lasts awhile. In fact because of the 18.7 ounce bottles I needed to sip a little and then pour the rest into the glass making a nice crater in the tall foam.

The smell is light and mild. Barely toasted malts duke it out with a faint flower petal scents. Not bad but a little boring if you ask me.

The taste is very nice, although it is a little on the thin side for me. Malty and toasted grains lead off with a solid bitterness there to beat back and balance the sweetness. Not much else going on which isn't that bad. This beer is simple and good.

The mouthfeel is crisp and bubbly with a nice balanced sweetness to bitterness. The finish is of toasted malts and a little light fruit with a pucker of bitterness. Good straightforward stuff with no real KAPOW but sometimes less is more.

jbphoto88, Jul 15, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

500ml bottle from trader joe's. SJ2OHL printed on the neck. tasted in early may 2009.

deep brown w amber tones. clear gem quality under the light. 2-finger, foamy tan head, fades to creamy thin layer. very good lacing, almost curtains of it later.

aroma: caramel and toasted malts, with apple esters. hint of dates. grassy english hop is mild and faint, mixing with more esters and faint phenols in back.

taste: caramel malt, with faintest hint of nutty roast character. moderate apple-like esters into light phenols and mild to moderate bitterness from leafy english hops, lingering lightly into the finish.

light to medium body, with astringency and acidity in finish, plus phenols, accentuated by the upfront prickle of carbonation, almost getting a bit fizzy.

tai4ji2x, Jul 12, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a beautiful brown with a slightly yellow creamy head. Smell is nothing outstanding and expected more. Taste is nutty (obviously), smooth and fine. An excellent summer evening beer that leaves you wanting to crack another as soon as the last mouthful is gone.

CromDubh, Jul 10, 2009

A - Pours a clear, fairly dark brown with some amber hues as well. Has about one finger of frothy head that recedes down to a thin cap that sticks around throughout drinking.

S - Mellow on the nose, not picking up on anything too strong. Sweet, toasty malt aromas with hints of hazelnut, bread, and caramel. Somewhat earthy aroma.

T - Somewhat similar to the smell, but a bit more pronounced than I expected with sweet maltiness dominating the flavor. Roasted, hazelnut flavors combined with sweet, caramel and a bit of bread and earthiness in the background. Has a crisp, mildly bitter hop finish that complements the sweetness pretty nicely.

M - Medium bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. I like how this avoids the syrupy feel that brown ales occasionally have.

D - Overall, a pretty tasty, drinkable beer. Has a good combination of flavors and isn't overly sweet. Could definitely be enjoyable as a session beer.

GarrisWH, Jul 06, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -16.1%

So I've gotten this several times and never taken the time to review it, I remember really liking it in the past, but felt that it took me awhile to like this one. I pours a nice brown/amber color with a foamy head. A little lacing but not much. The smell seems a bit overwhelming at first but it goes away pretty quick. You can really smell the caramelized malts and not really the hops so much. It tastes really good, not as hoppy as one would expect but you can taste it in the aftertaste, the malts are good, very strong. One thing that bothered me a bit is it wasn't a very "drinkable" beer. Most ales I really like to drink at a colder temperature, but this one I think tastes best at almost room temperature. Overall I really like this beer, however it doesn't always taste the same each time, which makes me question how fresh it is when I get it. I'd love to give it a try on tap sometime.

PS- I had to get something in the kitchen and my dog got into my glass and took a couple of sips, he wasn't used to it, but I think he gave it a B+

AndyAvalanche, Jun 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark translucent red amber with a finger or two of light tan head. Pretty good retention, nice lacing.

S: Malty, hints of brown sugar and nuts.

T: Sweet, with nuts and malts. Finishes slightly bitter, almost dry.

M: Fairly low carbonation, very smooth.

D: It's almost hard to believe how far I am through this glass - needless to say it drinks easy.

A very nice beer. No huge dominant flavors, but a lot of different flavors and complexity.

seand, Jun 28, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

I bought a 550 ml bottle of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale at a grocery store. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a walnut brown color and is clear. A foamy off-white head forms, with an orange tinge to it. The head fairly resilient, ringing the glass.

Smell is a curious combination of caramel and peat moss.

Taste is very good, a hazelnut and toffee flavor, with a mildly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit cloying.

All in all a very drinkable brown ale, and perhaps the most drinkable "Euro-brew" I have encountered.

RJLarse, Jun 22, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

500 ml bottle split with me best mate Sean.

Poured into a pub glass. Small light tan colored head, but has strong legs. No lacing, but that's OK. Color is a bright orange brown with excellent clarity.

Smell has a sweet molasses and raw sugar with some nutty wood notes. Little more wood and nut character in the flavor creates the bitterness to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is pretty light and thin. I would like a little more body, but it still tastes good to me

bort11, Jun 19, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -39.4%

Appearance is a clearish brown with a creamy head. Typical of the style but a bit watery.

Smell contains a touch of sourness to the beer lent from light cranberry and hazelnut flavors.

Way too watered down and misleading nuttiness turns into light alcohol tint and more water. Brown color does not lend much to consistency or hop balance.

Yorkshire yeast too harsh and does not leave a memorable taste in the mouth. Creamy head dissipates into inconsistent carbonation.

TLove, Jun 18, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Reddish brown with a two-finger head of finely bubbled and dimpled foam that lingers long. Aroma of cinnamon and toffee, notes of raw bread dough and ripe fruit.

Flavor of toasty malt, roasted marshmallow, toffee and caramel, some tannic dry leaves, good balance of fine bitterness against the malt, no real hop presence.

Full mouthfeel, just a bit slick, but finishes very tingly. Tasty beer, very drinkable.

far333, Jun 18, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Very clear dark copper/ruby color. Head is big and fluffy and leaves a bit of lacing on my mug. Good retention on the head.

S- Hard water, sweet malts, and citrus candy hops. Yeast is refined and somewhat fruity. Slight roasty/toasty quality along with some molasses.

T- Taste is smooth and actually nutty. Tastes a bit like the almond paste used in confections and pastries. Mostly sweet with flavors of darker breads, brown sugar, caramel and molasses.

M- Body is light but has a "sticky" drag to it that makes it quite substantial. Carbonation is subdued but quite effective with many different qualities(silky, bubbly, smooth, sharp, etc.)

D- Surprisingly versatile for a brown ale. It manages to be sweet without being sugary... if that makes sense.

EnojysAnyBeer, Jun 14, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a red-brown into my pint glass. An iced tea color when held up to the light. Almost no head, some lacing. Smells of sweet malts, some nuts, and something between toffee and caramel.

Roasted malts up front, with a creamy texture and smooth caramel in the middle, ending with a little nip of hop bitterness. Moderate carbonation. Excellent depth, decent balance. Smooth, lighter-bodied than expected. Excellent drinkability, could knock back several.

I'm a big fan of Sam Smith's Oatmeal and Imperial Stouts and was expecting a heavier brew. This is great, and adheres nicely to the style; completely different from the brewery's other offerings.

aristeros, Jun 14, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -16.9%

This was an okay beer, just too sweet for me and not the taste I was looking for. Had a sweet strong honey taste. I enjoy the oatmeal stout much more. Glad I only bought one bottle of this to sample. Priced too high for the rather average amount of ABV.

ExtraStout, Jun 12, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a dark amber with a 1 finger fluffy head that leaves some sudsy lacing.

Smells nutty with hints of light maple, malts, and butterscoth.

Tastes as it smells with a nice medium bitterness that is well balanced.

Great medium bodied beer that is highly drinkable. Can't go wrong with these. A brew that I find myself regularly drinking year round. Easily found on tap for me.

SirDrinxAlot, Jun 11, 2009
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)