Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance - Nice foamy head with no lacing. Beautiful reddish brown beer.

Smell - Sweet malt, toast, and slightly nutty (pecan?) aroma. Nuts increase in prominence as it warms.

Taste - Pretty m.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth with a medium body.

Drinkability - Pleasant, enjoyable, and subtle beer.

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of the bottle a rich brown and mahogany. A single finger of medium dense mix bubble head graces the top. No lacing.

Smells of malt and for some reason belgian yeast, maybe my nose is off a bit, a little bit of hazelnut.

Flavor is toffee, caramel and malts honestly the flavors are there but of really weak presence. Sweet and ever so slightly bitter. The hops and malt are balanced perfectly and if you are looking for a non offensive (big flavor) beer with good balance this is it.

Mouthfeel is creamy with smaller carbonation making a tingle on the tongue when pushed quickly passed the tip. I almost have to force the carbonation out of it though.

Ya it is very drinkable. If the point is to drink beer while not paying too much attention to it this could be a good choice and at 5% alc it aint gonna do you wrong.

The price is pretty solid, 3 bucks for a pint. I dunno not my thing and I hat to really disagree with the rest of you but this beer was below average, and SS's is making me a really disappointed drinker lately.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

After finding this site I saw that many of my most favorite beers were only in the B+ range. I saw there must be even better beers than my favorites so I wrote down the A and A+ beers. Most A+ beers are hard to find, but I found a few A's. The first one I tried is Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale.

I'm not the biggest fan of this style. It is a little plane for me, but I want to give it a fair review compared to other nut browns I've had that include Troeg's and New Castle. I'm gonna grade this better than New Castle but slightly under Troeg's. I am a little biased towards Troeg's however.

A- Beautiful dark copper caramel color. When I first poured it there was a nice foamy, soft head. The head was a little thick for my taste, but still nice. The foam clung to the glass nicely with each sip.

S- Nutty is a good description of this beer. I smell a slight pecan and hazelnut with toffee undertones.

T- Very clean. The bottle describes it as dry and that would be a good description. However, there is an aftertaste almost porter like on the breath. A slight bitterness with a coffee undertone. A little watery for my taste. The more you drink it the more complex it becomes, but I wouldn't describe it as a complex tasting beer overall.

M- Smooth but with a creaminess left over. Like whip cream, it leaves a pleasant filminess. The bitterness dries the mouth a bit.

Drinkability. Very easy to drink. Goes great with a burger or steak. No harsh alcohol taste. Very gentle and clean. An overall enjoyable and refreshing beer. I'd buy it again.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz. brown bottle with no freshness date: poured a slightly hazy, brown with reddish highlights.

This one is very aromatic: strong, earthy and perfumy malt aromas mixed with english hops.

The flavor is one the most complex tasting brown ales I have tried. The taste begins somewhat vinous with a solid malt profile. There are a lot of subtle nuances here: faint fruity date flavor with a faint touch of caramel.

The mouthfeel is almost chewy with a solid medium body. The carbonation does not stand out which is very good.

I don't often drink Samuel Smith products but I always enjoy them when I do. It is good to see this old, world class brewery using brown bottles. Next, I hope they use freshness dating.

Poured a huge 3" head which faded eventually to 1/4". Clear burnt umber color and sweet malty smell. Taste of slight caramel, and some mild stout flavors. A little bitter but it balances sweetness.

Folks, if you ask me this is twice the beer Newcastle Brown Ale is, plus it's less likely to be skunked since they use brown glass for Sam Smith's. Choose the Nut over the Castle.

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark copper color with a delicious frosty 2 inch head. The aroma is delightful with hints of nuts and crispy fresh fruits. The first sip is amazing. The second sip is even more amazing. This is the best dark brown ale I've ever had. Sight caramel and nuts with small bit of cider. It's so delicious I want another glass asap. This beer is freakin' great. I would drink this until I die. I'm going to drink this in the afterlife. I love you, Sam Smith.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

A- heavy rusty brown with off white mocha colored half finger head, little lacing, but just enough to make you look at it and smile.

S- nutty, oddly hoppy, and malty, there are toffee unertones and some sugar smell as well

T- it's just not a homerun in this dept. I like everything else here but the taste, sorry. I taste alcohol too much which is weird, and I can't help but get over the hops flavor here. It's nutty sure, and all but just doesn't do it for me.

M- medium bodied carbonation not so much

D- makes me full would go good with thanksgiving dinner of course. split a bomber with someone and enjoy it for what it is.

4.78/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a dark brown, 1cm tall thick tan head.

Smells of burnt sugar and malt, hazelnut

Tastes like malt, sugar, caramel sweetness, hazelnut aftertaste

Medium carbonation, buttery mouth feel.

Very easy to drink.

Fantastic brown ale. Perfect example for others to follow.

Something I could not get tired of drinking.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours with a deep brown with rubby red high lites. A robust foam head sits atop the brown nut ale. It fades, but a good shake or swirl brings it right back.
Smells of rich malts candied sugar.
On my fist sip I did't pick up any nutty nuiances, just rich malt flavor. But latter as the brew warmed these nutty flavors came to the fore front.
I thought it felt thin on the palette.
A flavorfull English beer.
Drink well my friends

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is as clear, clean caramel brown with copper undertones. Two fingers of thick, slightly tanned head rose and dissipated slowly.

Smell: Very reminiscent of London Pride or ESB, but much bolder. Sweet and toasted caramel malts, dark fruit (mostly plum and raspberry), and a little bit of toffee. The "nut" namesake provides a backbone for all the other aromas; as the pint warms it reminds me of walnuts.

Taste: Similar to the taste, but it has a much hoppier/bitter edge. Sweet and toasted caramel malts, a nutty backbone (sorry for not being a nut expert), and there are hints of dark chocolate and coffee. An adequate hoppy aftertaste leaves the tongue and back of the throat tingling.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. Very tasty and drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Poured from the bottle with an offwhite, light tan colored, proteinaceous head, which was well-retained, somewhat rocky, and formed some decent lacing on the sides of the glass... over a chill-hazed garnet-tinged dark amber colored body. No visible carbonation.

S- The nose is comprised of some mild malts, a touch of faint huskiness... no esters... no noticable hop aroma.

T- Flavor starts out somewhat sweet and malty. The sweetness is balanced out with some dry husky and nutty flavors on the midpalate. And on the finish you have a very faint flavor of some low-alpha hops that perfectly balance that sweet malt into a sustained finish.

M- Medium body, complimented by a reasonably soft carbonation. No astringency, no EtOH heat.

D- An incredibly drinkable Brown ale. I could easily consume several of these in a session!

3.83/5  rDev -6.4%

A: one finger head, good lacing, ruby colored.

S: fruit, raspberry, malt loaf.

T: brandy, roasted malt, fruit, minerals. A very tasty mix, but it's a little sweet for a Brown Ale.

M: steady carbonation and medium body with great warming alcohol on the finish.

D: English Brown Ales are not really my thing--too sweet, not enough hops--as I prefer mine on the dry side. But I liked the brandy and sour fruit.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

a- this beer pours so beautiful, it had little more then 2 fingers of beautiful tan and great lacing, the color is a nice dark brown with good carbonation

s- smell is of toasted malts and barley with toasted nut undertones

t- this beer tastes great it has the perfect amounts of bitterness. similar of coffee or a dark chocolate undertones. Overall this is one of my new favorites and would definitely recommend this beer

m- very smooth and crisp mouthfeel great body and nice balance of dryness to it

d-great drinkablity this is one of my new favorites

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm new to this style and british beer is hard to find by me but managed to find this one elsewhere and to say the least I'm pleased.

appearance; beautiful, clear and pale dark red-brown. Very light tan head that holds for the duration of the drink, with beautiful lacing. Mild malty aftertaste, best bescribed as a waterdown Bock aftertaste, all the best flavors but not nearly as strong.

smell; mild barley sweetness and very light hop spice.

taste; very rich and flavorful without being overpowering. Some bitter hops and rich malts in the aftertaste but initial flavor is a perfect balance of barley sweetness and hops. Mildly toasty and maybe some minerals as well. Complex and delicious.

mouthfeel; very creamy and rich foam. The beer itself is loose and smooth and at the same time chewy, quite a rare achievement. Carbonation it tight and comforting and the alcohol burn is present yet mild.

drinkability; this taste so good and goes down so smooth. The aftertaste makes one beg for more. I could easily see myself drinking this all night long.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Appearance: Dark reddish-brown with lacing.

Smell: Nutty malts.

Taste: Malts, nuts (hazelnut, cashew, almond), brown sugar, and subtle hops with a very slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light and smooth.

Overall:
This is a good, warming and nutty ale. It has a good balance of flavor that is complex and subtle. There is a lingering bitterness that leaves you wanting more.

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Served in a pint glass at ~50 F

A - Coarse, tall, bubbly brown head over rich amber beer. Seems to have some structure to it. Quite inviting.

S - Two aromas that stand out are rich roasted maltiness, and vanilla. As it warms, the vanilla lends an illusion of sniffing an oak-aged cognac.

T - What a lot going on in this pint! At first, the roasted malt lends a warm rich sweetness... molasses perhaps, or butterscotch? But just before it has a chance to become cloying, the hop crew reassuringly bring in a slew of brighter flavors from behind. It's hard to identify all that's going on... hazelnut is in there; even a citrusy note to counter the rich malts. The oaky vanilla teases in the background. I keep wanting to go back for another taste.

M - Light carbonation. Structurally solid

D - I admit I'm fairly biased here, as my go-to styles tend to be less thought-provoking. And so by default I expect not to drink a few of something so thought-provoking. That said, each taste beckons another, so maybe a few would be in order after all

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

550ml bottle served in a standard pint glass.

pours an opaque, russet brown tone with a good two fingers of a creamy beige head. decent retention; patchy lacing evident.

the nose is mainly toasted malts with notes of nuts and (though fainter) caramel. a pleasant if somewhat tame aroma.

toasty, bready, biscuity flavors come through in the taste, along with a slight but perceptible hop presence that arrives mid-palate; a distinctly dry finish. smooth and tasty. unquestionably one of the better english brown ales i've sampled.

medium body/carbonation; a bit watery. very drinkable.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Pours a deep brown colour with a thick cloud of white head and some lacing. Smells of toasted nuts and toffee. Flavour is quite sweet and nutty with some mild bitterness. Lots of toasted hazelnut flavour in the aftertaste. Carbonation is quite nice, very smooth. One of my favourite brown ales.

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Poured a 550ml bottle into my 22 oz style pint glass.

A- Rich, thick, bubbly tan colored head, takes forever to settle. Can be real thick depending on pour. As an ale the head reminds me of that of a stout. Lacing all over the glass. Nice carbonation sticking to the sides of the glass as well. More of a reddish brown color to the beer with hints of orange throughout. Weird observation that I notice later, but the beer seems to get darker as you let it sit.

S- HAZELNUT. Hints of caramel and malt, but the hazelnut smell is dominant. I get a fruity aroma as well.

T- Definitely taste the hazelnut, hints of peanut as well. Also picking up the slightest hint of coffee, vanillea, a espresso and caramel taste. The Hazelnut reveals itself the strongest in the aftertaste. Absolutely delicious beer. You can taste a good amount of barley in this beer, not as much malt taste as I expected.

M- In my young days as a beer advocate, this has the best mouthfeel of any beer I'VE EVER HAD.(so far that is), I give it a 5. Super creamy, very rich, thick bodied. Feels like a beer milkshake. This beer is so soft and delicate it feels like a pillow on your tongue.

D- Would prefer to drink this all day. Samuel Smith seems to have their sh*t together. Low abv, great taste, incredibly smooth. A little on the thick side which is why, and ONLY why this is down slightly. Overall an excellent beer.

Notes: Had high expectations for this, and was still blown away by it. Had heard so much about Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout which was very good, but IMO this blew it out of the water. I'm very curious to see what else this great English brewery has to offer because so far they've delivered on all fronts.

550ml bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance - The beer pours a clear brown colour with nice size beige head. There appears to be an average amount of carbonation. There is some fairly decent lacing, and the head lasted for several minutes before it dissipated.

Smell - Slightly metallic, nutty, hops, caramel and malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a perfectly carbonated mouth feel. It suits the beer very well. It is creamy and light. I can taste caramel and toffee, and then there is a nutty hop finish and aftertaste. The beer has the perfect blend of flavour that leaves it full bodied but now overpowering at all.

Drink - I could drink this every day for the rest of my life. A terrific beer that I will continue to drink as long as I can track it down

4.58/5  rDev +12%

12oz bottle, I guess they switched to brown bottles, but kept the familar gold foil.

pours a bright dark copper brown, with ruby highlights. nice thick light tan colored head that leaves great lacing. couldn't look better. aroma is of caramel, toffee, buttery

taste is a little sweet but well balanced, nutty. body is super smooth with a creamy head. excellent drinkability, its the ultimate session beer. I would agree with the rankings that its the top of the style

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A good low alcohol brown ale with a rich maltiness and complex flavor that never fails to please. A lot of brown ales have a high alcohol content which takes away from the malt flavor but not in this case. This is a beer that lets those malty and nutty flavors come through.

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours copper brown with a lovely off-white lasting head.
Nose is subtle, with some soft toffee malt and light nuts.
Flavours are stronger, more nuttyness and chocolate malt. Some soft green hops later on.
Nice creamy low carbonation, body could be thicker.

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a tulip. The beer had a beautiful cap, deep brown body and heavy lacing. The aromas are initially muted, though later uncover some molasses. The body is thick and sticky to the mouth with a residual sweetness. The flavours and dominated by molasses and licorice, not expected and enjoyable. The only weakness to this beer in my opinion is that the carbonation is too strong which is biting to the mouth... A wonderful drink.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz. bottle, chilled

Pours a transluscent medium-brown, has a nice thick, foamy white head. Has a definite sweet, nutty aroma. Taste is great too, mostly a sweetish malt and nut flavor, not very bitter. It has low carbonation and although it's more medium-bodied I think it's highly drinkable since it's smooth and not too overpowering.
Would make a great session beer, perhaps a good intro to craft beers as brown ales tend to be on the mild side. Highly recommended.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)