1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,822 | Reviews: 1,366 | Show All Ratings:
a0lbudman

Alabama

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-dark amber with a red tint when held up to the light. It had good carbonation with a light brown head.
S-a toffee or sweet caramel with a light hops and fruit smell
T-some sweet malt, toffee, some toasted taste. It had a medium malt sweetness with some hop bitterness that leaves mouth dry with a caramel sweetness in the end
M- medium body and medium carbonation
O-had a very good finish yet was not too sweet.

10-23-2013 01:52:34 | More by a0lbudman
BeerDocT

Georgia

3.64/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance 4.0: Nice lacing. Pours out a very distinct, mahogany brown color. Translucent and striking in appearance. Small head that looks the CO2ed part.

Smell 3.50: Good bouquet. Strange, sharply sour smell of caramel and deep barley malt. Subdued and certainly no hint of the tastes to come.

Taste 3.50: Front is big on the barley malt and that is about it at this taste level. Middle is dry, with more of the barley and slight hints of caramel. Finish is smooth, but dry and bereft of much flavor at all. Aftertaste is dry, with a subtle taste of grassy English hops. Very balanced and refreshing.

Mouthfeel 3.0: Mouthfeel is off, for some reason. Watery in the mouth and dry on the palate. Carbonation is too much in the front of the palate and is distracting. Not bad, but not outstanding and could do with some revision.

Overall 3.50: A good beer and probably a reliable go-to choice. However, I was not impressed with this legendary beer at any level. It is dry and somewhat flavorless at some taste levels. There is a good balance here, and it is probably amazing with food, but this beer simply does not stand on its own, nor make enough of an impression to be a brew I would consider sessionable. Nonetheless, worth a try if you have never had it before.

10-19-2013 05:05:32 | More by BeerDocT
Dsimenson

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a 16 oz champaign flute, developed a good 1 1/2" to 2" head that gradually reduced and made nice lacing. Several ounces had to wait in the bottle for a while. Medium dark amber in color, and clear. Aroma is toffee, malt, and hops. Flavor is subtle, initially malt amd toffee, then the hoppy bitterness builds after a sip, and ends on a grapefruit note. Mouthfeel is medium full. Overall I think I prefer stouts over this style, so that may be why I don't score it as high as others do. Yes, I too think it compare well with Sierra Nevada Tumbler, as mentioned below.

10-15-2013 03:01:01 | More by Dsimenson
thegodfather1076

4.75/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: Awesome looking old school bottel with a long thin neck wrapped in gold foil. Label is very simple yet eye-catching. Label gives a bit of brewery info as well as states “Product of England”. Back label gives a small description of the beer and web info. Samuel Smith embossed in the bottle.

Appearance: A aggressive pour from its 550ml bottle into a 16oz English pint led to a 4 finger lightly packed light tan head atop a clear reddish brown blood-wood colored beer. Head retention was 5min 23sec before fading to a rocky coating an ring.

Smell/Aroma: Smell is very sweet with hints of butterscotch and molasses along with a nice toasty nuttiness. Intoxicating.

Flavor/Taste: Taste is of sweet butterscotch and molasses along with a sweet malt on the front end that turns to a toasty nutty midpoint with a slight hop flavor. Finishes with a roasty toasted nuttiness.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Very smooth and creamy while remaining on the the light side of medium bodied with perfect carbonation. Extremely drinkable.

Overall/Comments: One of the best Brown Ales I have every had. I rank this right next to Tumbler from Sierra Nevada on my list of Brown Ales. A real pleasure to drink. Classified as an English Brown Ale @ 5% ABV. Consumed 10/1/2013.

10-12-2013 09:27:46 | More by thegodfather1076
SteveB24

4.34/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

appearance; very enticing color, a deep brown with some red mixed in, head is a little disappointing, pours a finger of head which settles quickly into thin lacing, beer is pretty clear, dark but not cloudy. carbonation is hard too see.

smell; the high score is due to how unique the aroma is, a nice sour/ sweetness with some grain and nuttiness.

taste; taste is very similar too smell, which i find to be a surprisingly rare occurrence. the taste is nutty, with grain, sweetness, hints of chocolate and spice, with a bitter finish that is not unwelcome.

mouthfeel; medium body, with good carbonation despite the bubbles being hard to see. beer is not creamy, but not thin.

overall; there is wonderful contrast between the strong tastes but relative lightness of the beer. this is a great introduction to nut browns, and also a good option for an ale that is dark and flavorsome but not too strong and filling, would buy again if I'm in the mood for a brown ale.

10-06-2013 05:23:45 | More by SteveB24
Fjlainez

4.54/5  rDev +11%

Wow. As a starter Beer Advocate I believe this is one of my new favorite Ales. A little on the pricey side for a 4-Pack but it holds up! As every young adult they started off with shitty watered down beer, I myself did not! I have made my beer gut mission to find the best beers and well wouldn't you know...this shows up! I was at my local liquor store when theses bad boys caught my attention! I was going to get the usual (Newcastle Brown Ale) but i decide to try it and I can rightfully say you wont be disappointed...If you're an Ale kinda guy!? The packaging is very nice and almost have a premium look to it! I cracked one open and I took a good whiff first, I was Impressed. Smelled of almost a toffee & nutty kinda thing goin' on! Took a good sip and I was surprised how smooth it was. It had a nice bit of sweet taste. Overall it was an awesome experience I look forward to drinking again.

Fabio Out.

10-03-2013 02:15:01 | More by Fjlainez
admiral

Australia

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a classic beer that is a delight to drink - very tasty

Aroma: chocolate, nut, malt and slight brown sugar with spice

Taste: toffee, chocolate, slight vegemite, malt, nuts, brown sugar mixed with spice, malty strong cheese and at back of palate some grapefruit to finish with some pleasant bitterness

A very enjoyable, easy to drink beer that is packed with malty goodness - one of the beers that got me into craft

09-27-2013 06:09:39 | More by admiral
Jetulio

Spain

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

355 ml bottle poured into a Pint glass
Appearance... brown beer with head colour beige of 2,5 fingers
Aroma... wet wood and hops with a touch of malty aroma
Taste... almond and peanut, , not sweetness in mouth, some hop notes and light dryness at the end
Mouthfeel... medium/full body and soft carbonation
Overall... much better than other brown ales that I have tested in North England, refreshing beer too.

09-25-2013 19:30:59 | More by Jetulio
JJKBeerLvr

4.05/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: Nice deep amber color with a full head. Head was light tan color.

Smell: Strong hops aroma with a little bit of malts as well.

Taste: Strong hoppy flavors, that make for an interesting beer. There is some sweetness from malts as well as, but the flavor is driven by the hops. I would like to try a draft version of this.

Mouth feel: Medium body, but very smooth and silky. A treat to drink.

Overall: A very good beer. One of my favorite brown ales. I prefer one of Sam Smiths stouts, but this is an excellent alternative if you like a beer that has a flavor with more hops.

09-23-2013 19:16:28 | More by JJKBeerLvr
Cheshire_Crew_Al

4.64/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I purchased this from a beer store - Lone Star Beverages - TX

Poured into a pint glass - brownish color with red like mahogany - with about 1 cm head on it.

The odor doesn't have that sourness of lesser brown ales, it has an odor of medicine with a sweetness to it that I personally find intoxicating.

Initial taste - black licorice, followed by a creamy, nutty taste with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

This beer is pleasantly filling, although, given the quality, I could easily drink several.

This is the perfect celebratory beer, absolutely made for special occasions. When I bought it, they only had two left, and I wished I had bought the second.

09-21-2013 02:53:48 | More by Cheshire_Crew_Al
Slamms

3.03/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Many UK beers have a similar quality I don't care for at all; Not my experience from drinking in pubs over there, so maybe they just don't ship well. But this quality I'm speaking of is a vegetable-like aftertaste, like maybe pureed broccoli that's been fermented. I drank this together with the German Aventinus, which was sublime -- The Samuel Smith was not sublime. Just another premium English beer that I don't enjoy. Don't believe the hype.

A friend who drank Guinness in Irish pubs said it was wonderful there, and nothing like the Guinness shipped to the US, so I have some backing on my thesis here.

09-18-2013 13:32:15 | More by Slamms
Lowseph

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

brown ales are one of my favorites,
and this one is no exception.

smooth like a porter, with the delicious roasted flavor.

this is one of the few beers I could see myself drinking everyday,

I can only imagine how good this stuff is on tap.

if you're a fan of brown ales or porters,
I highly recommend you try this.

09-12-2013 23:17:52 | More by Lowseph
Steamer

Missouri

4.86/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A reddish-brown hue that looks like a nut brown should look. The nut aroma really comes through along a some sweet overtones that smells like caramel. The taste is far and above any other brown ales I have tried. It follows the smell with a full, rich nuttiness that lingers on the palate forever. Mouth feel - Smooth and silky; goes down very smooth. Overall outstanding - there may be other nut browns out there that top this one but I have yet to find it.

08-21-2013 02:26:05 | More by Steamer
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Iconic example of a "northern" English brown. Pours amber- brown with about four fingers of light tan foam. Aroma is invitingly woodsy, nutty, fruity with some peanut butter and toffee. Taste is an earthy, nutty integration where individual components are somewhat difficult to pick out, but there is slowly developing sultana raisin, walnut oil, peanut butter to match the aroma, a salty mineral medicinal bitterness, subtle sweet caramel. A sourness shows up as you go as well. I find this one to be less sweet than other browns and there's almost a bit citrus in the sour finish. Mouthful fits the style, with some oil and lingering syrupy sweetness. Nearing the end, faint bourbon notes. Nice classic beer worth seeking out.

08-17-2013 23:38:00 | More by CalgaryFMC
StJamesGate

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Ruddy amber with craggy sandstone head.
Apple, peanut butter, saltwater taffy, autumn leaf, a bit of wax and brown toast on the nose.
Plum, brown scone, roasted almond, carob and some toffee in the middle and a butterscotch hit, and spicy hops hit to end. Walnut oiliness weighs down the body as it warms along with golden raisin coming out.
Mulchy, tannic finish and tight salty linger that gains brown sugar when warm.
Lt, crisp, fizzy.

Bright acidic malts, fairly lean, hoppier than expected and just sharper and lighter than most brown ales. Screams for a meat-and-potatoes dinners to lift and cut through. I don't know that this is the best brown ale I've had or the best example of the styles (insofar as it is a style - search "zythophile brown ale") but it does tick all the boxes and drink fairly easy.

08-11-2013 18:49:06 | More by StJamesGate
archyquaffer

Montana

4.69/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

I bought a bomber of this at an Albertson's supermarket in Livingston, Montana. It is not easy to come by around here- it seems it used to be more common. Anyway...

Opening the bottle causes a frothy, creamy head to protrude from the neck. A moderate pour produces a 3/4 inch head that settles down but sticks around for a good long time. The color is a relatively pale reddish-brown.

I can readily identify a butterscotch aroma-flavor with some earthy hops- just a bit more than a kiss to balance the sweetness. A really delicious fruitiness is also apparent- I detect plums, raisins, hazelnuts and spice reminiscent of a really good brandied or whiskeyed fruitcake. The mouthfeel is full and creamy, with a lingering sweetness and nutty bitterness on the palate.

This beer is truly exceptional, and one that really got me hooked on English style ales back in the day. I can't believe it's so hard to find nowadays....

07-31-2013 04:28:58 | More by archyquaffer
Clones21

Iowa

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was excited when I bought this beer. Boy was I disappointed afterwards though. Sam Smiths Brown Ale looks amazing when you poor it into a nice pint glass. The brown and reddish color looks great and tasty. When I took my first sip I was very disappointed. I'm not sure what it was about this Brown Ale, but it didn't sit well with me. I feel like this beer didn't have enough toffee or caramel taste for me. Something seemed to be missing from the taste. I kept drinking the beer hoping something would change, but it never did. I drank my whole pint because I didn't want to waste it, but I'll probably never buy this again.

07-12-2013 22:29:09 | More by Clones21
dwren89

Appearance: deep ruby brown, big foamy off white head, great clarity

Aroma: nutty and bready malt aroma, some definite sweetness on the nose, nice floral hop character to balance

Taste: malty and sweet, bready thickness to the flavor and a nutty and fruity finish, slight floral hop taste on the finish to balance the strong malt flavor,

mouthfeel: big and thick, chewy, low carbonation, full body

Overall impression: A nice Northern english brown exhibiting strong bready and dark malt character with nuttiness and fruitiness on the earth

07-11-2013 00:42:53 | More by dwren89
ryanonline

4.56/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Has a beautiful deep brown body with ruby highlights and a tan, voluminous head that appears very frothy, and leaves gobs of sticky lacing that hang around for a while longer than they were invited to.

The smell is sweet and nutty with a healthy earthy aroma that is backed by raisins and figs.

The flavor is much the same with a delicious presence of hazelnut and a brown sugar like sweetness.

The Mouthfeel is lite and creamy with a dry finish, simple and satisfying.

Very drinkable.

Overall a fantastic beer, a credit to brown ales and to English brewing.

07-09-2013 03:11:02 | More by ryanonline
Knuckles_Nuclear

Missouri

4.34/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

550ml bottle poured into a pint glass. Very classy bottle/label/foil seal.

Appearance: Poured a clear brown, with hints of amber. Not much of a head...I had to give my pour a bit of a splash to generate a cap. Very little lacing, and not much carbonation.

Nose: Earthy and grainy, with notes of almonds and raisins lingering in the back. Perhaps some freshly-cut lumber smells.

Taste: Notes of caramel, toffee, figs, dates, and toasted rye bread. Maybe some molasses in the malty sweetness, cut by a buttery flavor. At first, I found it almost too sweet for my liking, but as the beer relaxed and warmed up a bit, I found it quite pleasant. All the flavors were well-balanced and complex, and blend together nicely. The more I sipped it, the better it tasted.

Mouthfeel: Thick and substantial without being chewy. Just enough carbonation to prevent flatness.

Drinkability: The Velvet Fog of British ales. Classy and smooth with a clean finish.

Overall: It exceeded my expectations. A great brew for fall and winter, reminiscent of a rainy and cool English autumn day. Full of taste and body. Perhaps the finest of the English brown ales...I look forward to sampling further brews from Samuel Smith.

07-07-2013 01:48:28 | More by Knuckles_Nuclear
artoolemomo

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head with a good amount of retention as well. The head is off white with hints of yellow and light beige. The body is a clear dark amber with notes of brown and orange which glows when the beer is held up to the light. Minimal lacing left behind.

Nose- Fairly subtle and pretty much what one would expect from a beer like this- roasted notes, caramel, some toffee, a hint of fruity esters. There is a much richer caramel smell from the bottle. Some grain and hints of butterscotch and honey as well. No scent is very conspicuous excepting the caramel from the bottle itself. A little bit of heat when I swirl the glass some more.

Taste- Slight bitterness mixed with caramel and notes of brown bread and brown sugar. Woody finish with a tiny bit of booze- kind of surprising for a 5% beer. There is a bit of dryness to the finish as well. Some citrus notes (orange and lemon) start to come out and give malt forward nature of this beer some balance. There is also a nuttiness from the dark malts on the finish. Complex but subdued. Well integrated but perhaps a little too subtle for me. Brown ales have never been my thing. There are some earthy and mineral aspects which I find to be distracting. A good representation of the style and a solid beer but not what I'm looking for in a beer.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with somewhat of a syrupy texture. Just the right amount of carbonation but this would feel fine with less.

Drinkability- Fairly easygoing. Small amount of heat. Solid beer but not one that I intend to purchase again.

Overall- Solid beer that doesn't really work for my palate. Around a 3.75 in my estimation but I'm guessing it would be closer to a 4 if the style suited me.

07-06-2013 01:50:57 | More by artoolemomo
TheDoctor

Quebec (Canada)

4.7/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A:
Pours a perfect brown that is red-amber in the light with an airy beige head that is pretty consistent throughout drinking. Good retention; the kind of lacing (or maybe it technically isn't) where when you swirl the glass and the head leaves a high mark on the glass that uniformly recedes back down to the surface level as if it was the rest of the beer in slow motion.

S:
Rich and earthy. A "winey" smell (sort of acidic and boozy) throughout. Simple, subtle.

T:
Earth, dirt, rain, leafy vegetables. Mud puddle in the garden after a rainstorm. Nutty and slightly burnt malt flavors; just enough of a hop twinge to balance it. Great!

M:
Very smooth, slightly creamy, round, crisp and rich. Enjoyable beyond belief. Nice abrupt finish with a lingering tinge of minerals.

O:
I don't know that I believe that anything can actually be perfect, but this is damn close. If I ever wanted to show someone what a brown should taste like I would point to this beer. It has a lot going on but you have to concentrate to pick it up. As smooth and well-balanced as could be. A beer made to enjoy in a pub or something on a rainy day. The category of beer that they probably serve at The Prancing Pony .
With craft beer as it is, people forget that simple, straight-forward beers are lovely. Everybody wants to re-invent the wheel. Beers like this show why the wheel is the fucking wheel.

Would get again without hesitation.

07-03-2013 21:14:23 | More by TheDoctor
IchLiebeBier

3.75/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark Copper; medium tan head; dissipates quickly; good lacing

Aroma: Malty; sweet; alcohol; raisiny

Taste: Starts off malty and creamy, with sweet notes; finishes with a dry, slightly bitter, nutty flavor. Well balanced.

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 22:23:03 | More by IchLiebeBier
ChrisKayler

3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

Glass: New Belgium Globe.

Appearance: Mahagony red-brown, clear. Finger of course white head that lingered for about 5 minutes.

Smell: caramel, toffee, bread, metallic.

Taste: slightly bitter, slight caramel, toffee. Bitterness fades in aftertaste and with a deep exhale.

Mouthfeel: medium-light mouthfeel with high carbonation.

Overall: A decent aftertaste with too much bitterness and metallic taste in the forefront. Mouthfeel is pretty dissapointing as well. Overall, a good beer that I wouldnt turn downbut wouldnt seek out again.

06-02-2013 01:10:50 | More by ChrisKayler
Why-P-A

Maryland

3.63/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Great presentation in the traditional 550 ml bottle with foil seal. Color when poured is dark brown with some red hues.

S: Along with the expected malt there is a subtly hop aroma, likely Fuggles which would be appropriate for this style.

T: Excellent bready malt flavors up front with some biscuit malt character as well. The beer finishes slightly hop bitter in the traditional English style, though mush less so that an English Pale Ale.

M: As with may English ales this really feels like you are drinking a beer. Not syrupy but a thick hearty mouth feel that compliments the malty body well.

O: This is essentially the category defining beer for an English style nut brown. Many American nut browns have moved towards more sweetness while Samuel Smith maintains the ideal rich malt and mellow hop balance.

06-01-2013 20:20:58 | More by Why-P-A
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)