Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Fatduck

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A beer I have been enjoying for a long time, finally getting around to reviewing it. Poured it into a 22oz Tulip glass and paired it with a steak sandwich.

Pours a deep brown, mahogany color, with an airy tan head, doesn't last forever, but it leaves a lace all the way down the glass. Smells like roasted barley and nuts, maybe a little brown sugar. It tastes amazing, the classic British brown, and damn good for it. A little on the high carbonation side for my tastes, but damn good, and I drink this beer on a regular basis.

11-06-2008 02:02:17 | More by Fatduck
mwrseeley

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

Purchased at the LCBO, this Brown Ale came as part of a three bottle Samuel Smith gift set that included a nice pint glass. I drank this beer as I watched the presidential election returns and while satisified with the American voters I was slightly disappointed with my quaff for the night.

My appreciation for the beer, however, inproved as the results flowed in westward and the beer's temperature rose. I was expecting something a little maltier and with less carbonation. It was a nice-looking beer. I'll give it that.

Now, the beer I had earlier in the night, the Samuel Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale, was much more enjoyable.

11-05-2008 21:21:40 | More by mwrseeley
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

I'm a fan of the sam smith line...and this is no exception

Pours a see-through brown little head that faded quick, little lacing, taste very nutty, cant taste any hops. fairly thin tasting even thiner than the oatmeal. Overall though this is a good beer and if you can find it aroudn here for under 10 a 4 pack your in good shape

11-04-2008 16:33:24 | More by mugglesandhops
AMoceri7

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

Maybe Im more angry I spent $11 on a 4 pack.

A: Wonderful, typical nut brown character. Brown and brown. A bit on the hazy side possibly due to the color. Great head, took an almost horizontal tilt to experience this brew.

S: Smells of an UPGRADED Newcastle Nut Brown. Maybe a bit more hop then expected but typical over the top sweet. CANDY CORN

T: Exactly what you smell. Bottom line. Sweet sweet sweet nutty, almost stringent stale hop bitterness with an exceedingly overwhelming sweet malt backbone. Maybe a bit too high on the unfermentable. There is something to it I just cant put my finger on. It is though, that exact something I dont like about this brew.

M: Smooth, yet bouncy. Carbonation is high. Head was thick. Conquers the palate in a very subtle way. Too much for me.

D: Couldnt finish one.

Overall: Unimpressed with the 5% ABV. This brew has confirmed my thoughts on Nut Browns considering it is rated in the A category as an ambassador for Nut Brown Ales. That would be my first let down in buying based upon ratings.

10-31-2008 09:33:47 | More by AMoceri7
nokes

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Tonight I was in the mood for a brown ale. Fortunately, I had one of these around. Poured a warm, earthy and somewhat reddish brown into a pint glass. I like the colour...just the right warmth for a cool rainy fall evening. Smells brown. Hard to say exactly what I mean by that...but it just does. A little roasty, a little nutty...brown.

This beer tastes very good...strikes me as well-balanced. There's a little sweet there, and a little bitter...even some , but only really at the end, and even then, pretty light. Maybe a bit like hazelnuts. Feels good in the mouth...again, nicely balanced. Not real heavy, not real light.

Overall, I really like this beer. It's good, and strikes me as a good example of the style. Certainly much better than several other nut brown ales I've had. I would happily drink it again. Several in a night? Sure. Happy to. Would I seek it out? Maybe, particularly on cool fall nights like this one.

10-28-2008 00:02:15 | More by nokes
Offa

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

This was one of the earliest beers I had and the second brown ale I'd had, and it's still a great and defining example to me.

Deep reddish brown, it has a big long-lasting tan head that leaves some fairly good lace.

The aroma is richly malty with nuts, caramelly bread.

The taste is full bodied and very smoothl yet flavourful, with a lot of nuts, dark bread, some buttery caramel. It starts somewhat sweet but finishes with a drier, nutty-bitterness and a faint hint of sourness.

10-26-2008 05:11:38 | More by Offa
papazulu

Louisiana

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

I had to drink 2 4pacs of these over a few month period to really get comfortable with it. The seventh one was the charm. The eighth one sold me. This is truly a tasters beer. It brought the style home to me in a way that makes me want to try even higher quality nut browns.

10-25-2008 18:15:13 | More by papazulu
bigkahunas4

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the classic 550 ml into a point glass.

Brew comes in the classic Sam Smith style - gold foil top, with brown etched bottle. Pours a thin honey brown, opaque though to the light. Head was about a half finger, and had great retention and lacing.

Smell is big on the roased malts with notes of sweet caramel and milk chocolate. Taste has a huge malt profile as well - focussing on an earthy nutty flavor, mainly hazelnut. End is a bit of sour, which I've found in other Samuel Smith's.

Mouthfeel is thin, with muted viscosity. Brew sticks to your tongue and roof of your mouth though, lingering with some tastey hops.

Overall a very tastey brew - and a great brown ale. Certainly sessionable, and one that would pair great with a roasted turkey or meat loaf.

10-23-2008 00:13:07 | More by bigkahunas4
DoctorDog

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

Presentation: Victorian pint bottle into a large mug.

A- Medium auburn color. Tan head ~2 inches high off harsh pour; fades slowly with some lacing. Virtually no head retained after it has receded.

S- A bitter, "skunky", coppery/metallic smell. Perhaps a product of my nasal sufferings, but this is fairly unpleasant, and borderline awful.

T- Just like the smell; "skunky," bitter, and coppery/metallic. I have had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, so I give it a few more minutes to warm, then return. Same fetid results. I'm starting to think that I was sold an extremely out-dated bottle, or one taken from a highly unfortunate batch.

M- Somewhat thin and slick.

D- In this incarnation, very low. At this point, I'm fairly well convinced that I was sold a very outdated and/or tainted bottle. This one will have to be revisited and re-reviewed at a later date to ensure that I've given it a fair shake.

10-21-2008 03:29:40 | More by DoctorDog
sethmeister

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

550ml brown glass bottle with gold foil wrapped cap. No freshness date.

Beer is crystal clear reddish caramel-brown with a great fluffy cream colored cloud of foam rising easily two fingers. I admire the clarity and color while I wait for the head to settle enough to finish the pour into my Sam Smith nonic.

Scent is caramel and lightly toasty.

Taste is a vivid sweet caramel, toffee. Sweet nutty malt flavors. A very mild soft bitterness at the finish. Minimal hops.

Mouth is creamy medium - on the thinner side.

Drinkability is outstanding.

This has long been my favorite English brown ale. Soft and understated, mildly sweet and eminently quaffable. Always a pleasure.

10-17-2008 12:24:17 | More by sethmeister
hreb

Washington

550mL bottle poured into UK pint glass. Beer pours brown amber with a tall, tan head. Faint caramel sweet aroma.

First sip is moderately carbonated and pleasing, sweet, with a long finish and just a hint of nuttiness. Not much body to the beer, but a complex set of flavors.

Only after drinking the beer for a while does the bitterness make itself apparent. The balance is so fine that you hardly notice the hops initially, but they're there. Starting with a totally clean palate, I'm so used to highly-hopped beers that I'm not sensitized to something so delicate. It simply doesn't have the highly-hopped bitterness you'd find in the American equivalent. The flavors are more natural (gentle?) and earthy.

Overall, I can't really say this is a great beer. It's good, I like it, I'll order it now and then, but I think it's overrated. It is a good beer, and it hasn't really reached premium pricing despite it's relatively high quality. But Rogue's Hazelnut brown it is not.

10-13-2008 23:53:37 | More by hreb
biegaman

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Potter's clay with a blend of cioccolato and redwood. The beer certainly isn't entirely brown, there are lots of warming red highlights. Not that it is all that dark, although there is considerable clarity for a beer with shades of this depth. A thin sheet of off-white is netted across the top and splashed against the sides.

I can't claim to be sniffing out any particular kind of nut but the aroma is indeed 'nutty' in a very unspecific sort of way. Most of this smell, I think, can be attributed to the malts which have been toasted just right to bring out notes nutty and caramelized without introducing any element of roast.

The taste is less ambiguous and the distinction between 'nuts' and 'nutty' becomes clear thanks to a big, hefty malt bill. The flavour is a straightforward shot of toffee-rich, borderline sweet malts that again have been toasted just to the point of caramelization.

The beer itself is lightly bitter but a harsh, mineral rich water will amplify that. Despite this chalkiness, however, the beer maintains a very mild profile and lacks any chewiness that its colour and flavour might have implied. A little more texture might actually help push along the notes of hazelnut, pecan, and butterscotch that seem to linger in the finish.

Samuel Smith beers are classic, conventional examples of the great styles in England's rich brewing tradition. To some of today's beer drinkers they may seem a tad bland or unexciting, especially in comparison to 'new world' renditions. It is true that America's, and now other nation's, craft breweries have reinvented traditional styles, like the nut brown, with more attitude and extravagance. But much can still be said for traditional offerings...

I, for one, will always have a place in the fridge for beers like these - solid, simple beers whose strength lie in its very function: to be enjoyably drinkable. They may not have all the frills but they are nevertheless quality, reliable beers that can evoke epiphany on the palates of many new beer drinkers. They certainly did for me.

10-13-2008 21:31:23 | More by biegaman
EatsTacos

Yukon (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Great Beer

Pours a beautiful dark brown with amber with a beige head. Great lacing with the head

Aroma is molasses, honey, very sweet, cream

Taste completely lives up the smell, good balance of the dry nuttiness with a sweet honey, chocolate. Not a lot of hop flavour in this beer. Notes of fruit, spices. Great complex flavour, and finished with a dry, very slightly bitter end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low carbonation that is pretty soft

10-04-2008 04:08:39 | More by EatsTacos
Murchmac

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%

This beer pours a beautiful brown with ring around the collar.

Smells of nuttiness goodness, malts, and a little spice, alcohol.

Roasty toasty, nutty warmth,

full bodied, clean crisp aftertaste.

I thought I was reviewing an aftershave, but it turns out it's just a really good nut brown ale.

10-01-2008 03:32:48 | More by Murchmac
Onenote81

3.15/5  rDev -23%

Poured a brownish orange. Clear all the way through, no cloudiness at all. Good 2-finger head with a moderate pour. Great retention with a fair amount of lacing as I drink.

Smelled sweet like brown sugar and bread, almost like coffee cake. Some nut scent maybe pulling through.

Taste was smooth and creamy, with a slight caramel taste. A little too watery and flat for my liking. I was expecting a bit of a more robust brew. Low carbonation. All of these factors made this a highly quaffable brew, but I'd rather not. I like a bit more bite to my ales. I'm gonna pass.

09-29-2008 13:29:35 | More by Onenote81
sgoodship

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Lovely translucent walnut brown with dark amber showing against the light. A nice clean, light head that fairly quickly dissipated to a thin ring which left a nice spotty lacing as it is consumed. Carbonation is light but visible.

S: Nutty (obviously) but aromatic - reminds me of their Oatmeal Stout

T: Light and clean. Tasty and well balanced. Nutty with a hoppy aftertaste that is very satisfying. Great tasting quality beer. Although it is thinner than a stout, even the taste seems to have a stout meatiness to it - real substantial.

M: Clean, smooth. Carbonation was perfect for me. Really like the strong finish - just keeps giving.

D: Once I get into the nut brown zone, I could put a few of these away. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Again, Samuel Smith has not disappointed me.

09-19-2008 04:04:08 | More by sgoodship
brewmudgeon

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev -12%

12/08 slightly aggressive pour leads to a huge, dense head. (still a 4.5 appearance) smell is lovely: sweet, nutty, and fruity. kinda like a fruitcake. (still a 4, easy) now that i know what to expect from the taste and texture, it doesn't put me off like it did the first time. still would probably prefer more body and flavor, as i find myself gulping this stuff. at least the diacetyl isn't bugging me too much, and the friendly, easy character is starting to grow on me. taste upped from 3 to 3.5. mouthfeel from 2.5 to 3. drinkability from 3 to 3.5.

clear mahogany brown, persistent head and lace.
plums, red wine, lightly toasted malt, and copper to the nose.
take a swig and diacetyl surprises, coating the roof. the sweetness is quite reserved for a brown ale. some toasted malt and weak breakfast tea.
light to medium bodied--not nearly as full as expected or hoped.
slick, filmy mouthfeel. plenty of carbonation.
slicker, dryer, and thinner than imagined. the diacetyl is the biggest negative surprise, as imo it's both an unpleasant sensation and masks taste.
definitely expected a lot more of this highly hyped brew.

09-18-2008 02:26:50 | More by brewmudgeon
dnichols

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A: It poured a brown body with a reddish hue and a tall robust head.

S: It had a sweet malty aroma with floral hops and hints of caramel.

T: It had a well balanced presence on the tounge with just about the right amount of malts and hints of oak, nuts and light spices.

M: It was medium bodied and moderately carbonated. It finished dry with a bit of sweet oaky aftertaste.

D: It has a moderate body, balanced flavor and low ABV making it a decent session brew. Its not my style but I'd never turn one away and could easily spend a long evening enjoying this brew.

09-13-2008 21:10:47 | More by dnichols
JRed

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Light brown in color with thin head of mist that clings and sticks around for a while. Aroma of sweet, roasted nuts with a hint of vanilla. Subtle carbonation allows for the flavorful roasted nuts to engulf the palate. Immerse yourself in the smooth, light creamy taste of this beer. Equally sweet and malty, a wonderful balance.

09-13-2008 00:40:24 | More by JRed
nem2006

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer pours a clear, amber/brown with a good head that did not last as long as I expected. There was some visible carbonation.

The smell was nutty and bready with plenty of sweetness from the malts.

The overall taste is nutty. It starts with some sweetness and a mild bitterness and finishes with a little stronger, but still fitting, bitterness. The beer is medium-bodied.

09-09-2008 19:31:02 | More by nem2006
tronester

Oklahoma

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a dark brown with a huge tan head. Smells of ripe fruit and earthy hops. Taste is malty sweet, with a hint of toasted nuts. There is a pleasant tea like flavor as well. Bitterness is low, but there is a nice earthy aroma in the finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy; low, pleasant carbonation levels. Very drinkable, refreshing, and tasty. One of my favorite Samuel Smith beers.

09-06-2008 02:03:09 | More by tronester
odietrying

3.1/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle poured into 16oz. tumbler.

A: Dark reddish-brown, auburn color. No head or lacing.

S: Molasses, maybe maple. Earthy aromas.

T: Soy taste overpowers most other flavors. Sweet malt, not too bitter with hop.

M: Too carbonated for my taste.

D: It's ok to have one, I wouldn't reach for a second. Too strong on the soy flavor; kind of kills it.

09-05-2008 16:38:29 | More by odietrying
dananabanana

3.65/5  rDev -10.8%

A-- auburn, reddish-brown. No head.

S-- not very strong, I couldn't really detect anything.

T-- The first sip is maple and teriyaki/soy. The malt flavor is light and sweet. It develops into a richer molasses taste.

M-- It feels sort of creamy, but still light.

D-- This beer is what a good session beer is all about-- the richer flavors develop after a few.

09-05-2008 12:37:12 | More by dananabanana
SimplySinister

4.33/5  rDev +5.9%

A - A dark, semi-transparent, chestnut brown. Upon initial pour head was immense, but soon transformed to a creamy froth. Some lacing.

S - Nut Brown smells great- full bodied and complex. Hits of malt, chocolate, caramel, and of course- nuts.

T - Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Not quite, but still very good. Nut brown is composed mainly of walnut complimented by grain and malt. It is rather mellow and carbonated nicely. While it is not overly complex, it is certainly complex enough to keep my taste buds happy.

M - For the amount of carbonation, Nut brown is surprisingly smooth. That is not to say the carbonation is over the top, but it is what it is. Its consistency is substantial, but not chewy.

D - Nut brown is a little too drinkable. In fact, the only factor that keeps a 4 pack partially intact in one sitting is the price. A true session beer that is, indeed, worthy of praise.

All in all, this beer comes highly recommended as far as Brown ales are concerned. Its superior to many of its competitors, such as Newcastle, in every respect I can think of.

09-03-2008 04:37:54 | More by SimplySinister
glid02

Georgia

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Got this at Whole Foods on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a completely clear dark brown with a one-finger tan head. The head sticks around for quite a while before dissipating into a medium-sized layer of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass. Lacing has good coverage but doesn't stick around that long.

Smells of bready malt and nuts while cold. As it warms there's more of a sweet malt smell accompanied by some dark fruits - mainly raisins.

Tastes similar to it's smell. There's a solid malt taste and some nut flavor while it's cold, then as it warms up it gets sweeter and fruitier. There's a medium bitter ending in the beginning that softens as it warms.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness and the carbonation is just right. Goes down very smoothly.

This is very drinkable. I slightly prefer it on the colder side as I like the bready malts more, but it's good throughout.

Overall a great value. A pint and a half for just under 4 bucks is on the cheap side for a beer this good. I'm excited about the cold months coming up and delving into more of Samuel Smith's brews.

09-03-2008 03:42:56 | More by glid02
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)