Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drinkability - This beer goes down very well for a style that I personally don't usually consider for a session beer. I could definitely have another.

Appearance - dark clear reddish-brown, good carbonation and good head retention.

Smell - mildly nutty and with caramel.

Taste - even better than the smell. Malty, a good balance in flavour with low bitterness, a sweet start and a dry finish. Almost something buttery or a cream like taste in the background... Seems brewed to fit the style. As with most good medium to strong beers, it gets better as it warms up a bit.

Mouthfeel - glides on the palate with a medium body. Refreshing watery feel with a smooth finish since the carbonation is lightly balanced.

ecoastman, Dec 05, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 550ml bottle into my Samuel Smith pint glass.

Appearance: A clear reddish brown body with a sizeable light tan head that leaves good lacing as it slides down the side of the glass.

Smell: Sweet smooth and rich.

Taste: I believe this is the first nut brown ale that I've had that actually has a nutty taste to it. For that alone I give it high praise. Also it's not overly sweet like some brown ales tend to be.

BierFan, Dec 04, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a clear brown into a weizen glass (why? because I felt like it) with a finger-width off-white head that eventually faded to a thin film, leaving sparse lacing. Aroma is dark fruit, malt, vanilla, caramel. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, slick and a little chewy, low-medium carbonation. Taste is caramel, vanilla, walnuts, figs, hint of chocolate, no bitterness to speak of. Different from American brown ales in that the taste seems much milder and subdued. Overall this is a great beer and one of the best in its style that I've had.

ljbrisson, Dec 04, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

Very dark brown in a appearance with a 2 finger foamy off-white head with excellent retention and lacing. Poured from a bottle in to a shaped pint.

Smell is nutty, sweet, and a little woody and that follows through in the taste. Subtle, yet noticeable nut flavors, dark bitterness that is not quite coffee but coming close to it. Wonderful on the palate from start to finish.

Nice carbonation leads to a clean mouth feel and finish. There is a lingering bitter taste that sticks around but is pleasant.

All around very drinkable beer, much butter than I was expecting but I will have to get more of these.

mullenite, Dec 03, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Pours a fluffy 1 finger head over a beautiful clear brown/copper color. Light lace is present.

S- Nice nutty aromas, butterscotch, caramel, high end rum notes. This makes me smile.

T- Starts out a nice light dry chocolate, some nutty notes, light caramel, and some light dry hoppiness on the clean finish.

M- Low carbonation works well. Nice body for a low ABV.

D- This is a damn fine cult classic. It's very sessionable, but at the price, you really can't. (At least, I cannot.) I will definitely have again.

Greggy, Dec 03, 2008
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Reviewed on 4/5/08. Bottle. Pours a clear brown/amber color with a small sized white head. Aroma of light fruits (pear, apple). Taste of more light fruits, maybe some walnuts. A good chill beer.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 14/20
3.5/5

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 02, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance - This one pours iced tea brown with a small tan head... quickly dissipates.

Smell - Smell's exactly like all other samuel smith's beers, sans oatmeal stout. smeels more like a smokey porter than a brown ale.

taste- I'm very let down by this brown ale. I expected it to be great. A bit of a brown ale taste, but it goes away. I'm tasty alot of their taddyporter still. so-so.

mouthfeel- average, good carbonation, a decent aftertaste... but thats about it.

drinkability - average, I could have a couple if there were nothing left, I wouldn't spend money on this again though.

I expected more from Samuel Smith's... tsk tsk.... you can't make the beer 5 times and name it something different each time.

eweneek83, Dec 01, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

I'd like to thank Uncle Muck for the timely drop-off of this beer when he visited last week--a pleasant surprise and a classy choice... browns seldom look impressive out of the bottle--that said, Samuel Smith's NBA pours an opaque reddish-brown body with zero head (!?)... stands a solid, almost black-and-tan balance in THE Samuel Smith 12 oz. Nonick glass...warm, subtle notes of hazel nut and hops... 31 IBUs seems undertstated... balanced with a hint of sweetness... medium-bodied, with a solid presence massaging the tongue... mellow and drinkable... on par with the better in the genre... nuts! or at least a malty basis that enables the other characteristics--butter nut, molasses (!), burnt toffee--to soften and please.... tops Newcastle (sorry, brother Gil) slightly, and the few other studs in the style with a slightly stoutish lean...

dacrza1, Nov 30, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +10%

A - Poured a beautiful walnut brown color with light brown head that enveloped the glass on the way down

S - Smells like nuts and hops

T - The crisp taste of nuts and malts blend with the slight bitterness

M - Medium bodied with slight carbonation that finishes well

D - Highly drinkable beer, one of my favorite brown ales

cvfish, Nov 30, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Damn good beer,

Good amount of hoppiness, stayed smooth all the way through.
A very nutty flavor, cinnamon too. Tastes warm and a little spicy.

Smells the same.

Pretty expensive, not a beer that you can drink all the time on my budget, but I can walk right down the street and get one when I have the money.

Blake, Nov 24, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

I don't have too much to say about this beer. It poured a great two finger head and there was a nice brown color to the beer. The aroma was amazing with a slight nuttiness and the taste even better. I could drink quite a few of these.

This is my favorite beer and I don't think I can do it justice with my description.

rgrholmes168, Nov 23, 2008

550 ml bottle from LCBO Christmas pack.

Pours a clear ruby red, chestnut brown, medium sized off white head forms, slowly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, drops a few lace spots, looks good. Smell is sweet and malty, brown sugar and caramel, nuts, very fruity, cherries and strawberries, almost pineapple, apples, interesting, not as much nuttiness as I would like. Taste is similar, sweet and bready up front, caramel, honey and oats, hazelnut middle, not as much fruit in the flavour but I still get some apples and strawberries, very dry crackery finish. Mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, very drinkable, dry finish, easy to put down. Sam Smiths don't really make anything spectacular for me, but everything they do is done well and I like them all.

Viggo, Nov 19, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a straight 10 oz. glass
It poured nicely with a light tan head. It's clear brown with a reddish hue.
Smells sweet malty and nutty
Taste is sweet, malty, bready, nutty. Quite yummy. a touch of hops on the finish.
Mouth feel is medium in body, a little creamy. The carbonation is nice and subtle. Very refined.
It is a very drinkable ale. It's the standard brawn ale in my opinion.

ThirstyBird, Nov 08, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance - Deep mahogany fluffy light mountainous head.

Nose - Fino sherry, leather, oak and faint orange fruits like apricots and mangos.

Taste - Minerality holds it all together. Taste is otherwise similar to nose with bits of toffee as well.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thin but decent

Drinkability - Very high. I could drink this endlessly.

Chinon01, Nov 07, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A beer I have been enjoying for a long time, finally getting around to reviewing it. Poured it into a 22oz Tulip glass and paired it with a steak sandwich.

Pours a deep brown, mahogany color, with an airy tan head, doesn't last forever, but it leaves a lace all the way down the glass. Smells like roasted barley and nuts, maybe a little brown sugar. It tastes amazing, the classic British brown, and damn good for it. A little on the high carbonation side for my tastes, but damn good, and I drink this beer on a regular basis.

Fatduck, Nov 06, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at the LCBO, this Brown Ale came as part of a three bottle Samuel Smith gift set that included a nice pint glass. I drank this beer as I watched the presidential election returns and while satisified with the American voters I was slightly disappointed with my quaff for the night.

My appreciation for the beer, however, inproved as the results flowed in westward and the beer's temperature rose. I was expecting something a little maltier and with less carbonation. It was a nice-looking beer. I'll give it that.

Now, the beer I had earlier in the night, the Samuel Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale, was much more enjoyable.

mwrseeley, Nov 05, 2008

I'm a fan of the sam smith line...and this is no exception

Pours a see-through brown little head that faded quick, little lacing, taste very nutty, cant taste any hops. fairly thin tasting even thiner than the oatmeal. Overall though this is a good beer and if you can find it aroudn here for under 10 a 4 pack your in good shape

mugglesandhops, Nov 04, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

Maybe Im more angry I spent $11 on a 4 pack.

A: Wonderful, typical nut brown character. Brown and brown. A bit on the hazy side possibly due to the color. Great head, took an almost horizontal tilt to experience this brew.

S: Smells of an UPGRADED Newcastle Nut Brown. Maybe a bit more hop then expected but typical over the top sweet. CANDY CORN

T: Exactly what you smell. Bottom line. Sweet sweet sweet nutty, almost stringent stale hop bitterness with an exceedingly overwhelming sweet malt backbone. Maybe a bit too high on the unfermentable. There is something to it I just cant put my finger on. It is though, that exact something I dont like about this brew.

M: Smooth, yet bouncy. Carbonation is high. Head was thick. Conquers the palate in a very subtle way. Too much for me.

D: Couldnt finish one.

Overall: Unimpressed with the 5% ABV. This brew has confirmed my thoughts on Nut Browns considering it is rated in the A category as an ambassador for Nut Brown Ales. That would be my first let down in buying based upon ratings.

AMoceri7, Oct 31, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Tonight I was in the mood for a brown ale. Fortunately, I had one of these around. Poured a warm, earthy and somewhat reddish brown into a pint glass. I like the colour...just the right warmth for a cool rainy fall evening. Smells brown. Hard to say exactly what I mean by that...but it just does. A little roasty, a little nutty...brown.

This beer tastes very good...strikes me as well-balanced. There's a little sweet there, and a little bitter...even some , but only really at the end, and even then, pretty light. Maybe a bit like hazelnuts. Feels good in the mouth...again, nicely balanced. Not real heavy, not real light.

Overall, I really like this beer. It's good, and strikes me as a good example of the style. Certainly much better than several other nut brown ales I've had. I would happily drink it again. Several in a night? Sure. Happy to. Would I seek it out? Maybe, particularly on cool fall nights like this one.

nokes, Oct 28, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the earliest beers I had and the second brown ale I'd had, and it's still a great and defining example to me.

Deep reddish brown, it has a big long-lasting tan head that leaves some fairly good lace.

The aroma is richly malty with nuts, caramelly bread.

The taste is full bodied and very smoothl yet flavourful, with a lot of nuts, dark bread, some buttery caramel. It starts somewhat sweet but finishes with a drier, nutty-bitterness and a faint hint of sourness.

Offa, Oct 26, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

I had to drink 2 4pacs of these over a few month period to really get comfortable with it. The seventh one was the charm. The eighth one sold me. This is truly a tasters beer. It brought the style home to me in a way that makes me want to try even higher quality nut browns.

papazulu, Oct 25, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the classic 550 ml into a point glass.

Brew comes in the classic Sam Smith style - gold foil top, with brown etched bottle. Pours a thin honey brown, opaque though to the light. Head was about a half finger, and had great retention and lacing.

Smell is big on the roased malts with notes of sweet caramel and milk chocolate. Taste has a huge malt profile as well - focussing on an earthy nutty flavor, mainly hazelnut. End is a bit of sour, which I've found in other Samuel Smith's.

Mouthfeel is thin, with muted viscosity. Brew sticks to your tongue and roof of your mouth though, lingering with some tastey hops.

Overall a very tastey brew - and a great brown ale. Certainly sessionable, and one that would pair great with a roasted turkey or meat loaf.

bigkahunas4, Oct 23, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

Presentation: Victorian pint bottle into a large mug.

A- Medium auburn color. Tan head ~2 inches high off harsh pour; fades slowly with some lacing. Virtually no head retained after it has receded.

S- A bitter, "skunky", coppery/metallic smell. Perhaps a product of my nasal sufferings, but this is fairly unpleasant, and borderline awful.

T- Just like the smell; "skunky," bitter, and coppery/metallic. I have had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, so I give it a few more minutes to warm, then return. Same fetid results. I'm starting to think that I was sold an extremely out-dated bottle, or one taken from a highly unfortunate batch.

M- Somewhat thin and slick.

D- In this incarnation, very low. At this point, I'm fairly well convinced that I was sold a very outdated and/or tainted bottle. This one will have to be revisited and re-reviewed at a later date to ensure that I've given it a fair shake.

DoctorDog, Oct 21, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

550ml brown glass bottle with gold foil wrapped cap. No freshness date.

Beer is crystal clear reddish caramel-brown with a great fluffy cream colored cloud of foam rising easily two fingers. I admire the clarity and color while I wait for the head to settle enough to finish the pour into my Sam Smith nonic.

Scent is caramel and lightly toasty.

Taste is a vivid sweet caramel, toffee. Sweet nutty malt flavors. A very mild soft bitterness at the finish. Minimal hops.

Mouth is creamy medium - on the thinner side.

Drinkability is outstanding.

This has long been my favorite English brown ale. Soft and understated, mildly sweet and eminently quaffable. Always a pleasure.

sethmeister, Oct 17, 2008

550mL bottle poured into UK pint glass. Beer pours brown amber with a tall, tan head. Faint caramel sweet aroma.

First sip is moderately carbonated and pleasing, sweet, with a long finish and just a hint of nuttiness. Not much body to the beer, but a complex set of flavors.

Only after drinking the beer for a while does the bitterness make itself apparent. The balance is so fine that you hardly notice the hops initially, but they're there. Starting with a totally clean palate, I'm so used to highly-hopped beers that I'm not sensitized to something so delicate. It simply doesn't have the highly-hopped bitterness you'd find in the American equivalent. The flavors are more natural (gentle?) and earthy.

Overall, I can't really say this is a great beer. It's good, I like it, I'll order it now and then, but I think it's overrated. It is a good beer, and it hasn't really reached premium pricing despite it's relatively high quality. But Rogue's Hazelnut brown it is not.

hreb, Oct 14, 2008
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)