Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Damn good beer,

Good amount of hoppiness, stayed smooth all the way through.
A very nutty flavor, cinnamon too. Tastes warm and a little spicy.

Smells the same.

Pretty expensive, not a beer that you can drink all the time on my budget, but I can walk right down the street and get one when I have the money.

4.95/5  rDev +21%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

I don't have too much to say about this beer. It poured a great two finger head and there was a nice brown color to the beer. The aroma was amazing with a slight nuttiness and the taste even better. I could drink quite a few of these.

This is my favorite beer and I don't think I can do it justice with my description.

550 ml bottle from LCBO Christmas pack.

Pours a clear ruby red, chestnut brown, medium sized off white head forms, slowly settles down to a thin ring around the glass, drops a few lace spots, looks good. Smell is sweet and malty, brown sugar and caramel, nuts, very fruity, cherries and strawberries, almost pineapple, apples, interesting, not as much nuttiness as I would like. Taste is similar, sweet and bready up front, caramel, honey and oats, hazelnut middle, not as much fruit in the flavour but I still get some apples and strawberries, very dry crackery finish. Mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, very drinkable, dry finish, easy to put down. Sam Smiths don't really make anything spectacular for me, but everything they do is done well and I like them all.

4.5/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a straight 10 oz. glass
It poured nicely with a light tan head. It's clear brown with a reddish hue.
Smells sweet malty and nutty
Taste is sweet, malty, bready, nutty. Quite yummy. a touch of hops on the finish.
Mouth feel is medium in body, a little creamy. The carbonation is nice and subtle. Very refined.
It is a very drinkable ale. It's the standard brawn ale in my opinion.

4.28/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance - Deep mahogany fluffy light mountainous head.

Nose - Fino sherry, leather, oak and faint orange fruits like apricots and mangos.

Taste - Minerality holds it all together. Taste is otherwise similar to nose with bits of toffee as well.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thin but decent

Drinkability - Very high. I could drink this endlessly.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

A beer I have been enjoying for a long time, finally getting around to reviewing it. Poured it into a 22oz Tulip glass and paired it with a steak sandwich.

Pours a deep brown, mahogany color, with an airy tan head, doesn't last forever, but it leaves a lace all the way down the glass. Smells like roasted barley and nuts, maybe a little brown sugar. It tastes amazing, the classic British brown, and damn good for it. A little on the high carbonation side for my tastes, but damn good, and I drink this beer on a regular basis.

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at the LCBO, this Brown Ale came as part of a three bottle Samuel Smith gift set that included a nice pint glass. I drank this beer as I watched the presidential election returns and while satisified with the American voters I was slightly disappointed with my quaff for the night.

My appreciation for the beer, however, inproved as the results flowed in westward and the beer's temperature rose. I was expecting something a little maltier and with less carbonation. It was a nice-looking beer. I'll give it that.

Now, the beer I had earlier in the night, the Samuel Smith Old Brewery Pale Ale, was much more enjoyable.

I'm a fan of the sam smith line...and this is no exception

Pours a see-through brown little head that faded quick, little lacing, taste very nutty, cant taste any hops. fairly thin tasting even thiner than the oatmeal. Overall though this is a good beer and if you can find it aroudn here for under 10 a 4 pack your in good shape

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

Maybe Im more angry I spent $11 on a 4 pack.

A: Wonderful, typical nut brown character. Brown and brown. A bit on the hazy side possibly due to the color. Great head, took an almost horizontal tilt to experience this brew.

S: Smells of an UPGRADED Newcastle Nut Brown. Maybe a bit more hop then expected but typical over the top sweet. CANDY CORN

T: Exactly what you smell. Bottom line. Sweet sweet sweet nutty, almost stringent stale hop bitterness with an exceedingly overwhelming sweet malt backbone. Maybe a bit too high on the unfermentable. There is something to it I just cant put my finger on. It is though, that exact something I dont like about this brew.

M: Smooth, yet bouncy. Carbonation is high. Head was thick. Conquers the palate in a very subtle way. Too much for me.

D: Couldnt finish one.

Overall: Unimpressed with the 5% ABV. This brew has confirmed my thoughts on Nut Browns considering it is rated in the A category as an ambassador for Nut Brown Ales. That would be my first let down in buying based upon ratings.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Tonight I was in the mood for a brown ale. Fortunately, I had one of these around. Poured a warm, earthy and somewhat reddish brown into a pint glass. I like the colour...just the right warmth for a cool rainy fall evening. Smells brown. Hard to say exactly what I mean by that...but it just does. A little roasty, a little nutty...brown.

This beer tastes very good...strikes me as well-balanced. There's a little sweet there, and a little bitter...even some , but only really at the end, and even then, pretty light. Maybe a bit like hazelnuts. Feels good in the mouth...again, nicely balanced. Not real heavy, not real light.

Overall, I really like this beer. It's good, and strikes me as a good example of the style. Certainly much better than several other nut brown ales I've had. I would happily drink it again. Several in a night? Sure. Happy to. Would I seek it out? Maybe, particularly on cool fall nights like this one.

4.55/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of the earliest beers I had and the second brown ale I'd had, and it's still a great and defining example to me.

Deep reddish brown, it has a big long-lasting tan head that leaves some fairly good lace.

The aroma is richly malty with nuts, caramelly bread.

The taste is full bodied and very smoothl yet flavourful, with a lot of nuts, dark bread, some buttery caramel. It starts somewhat sweet but finishes with a drier, nutty-bitterness and a faint hint of sourness.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

I had to drink 2 4pacs of these over a few month period to really get comfortable with it. The seventh one was the charm. The eighth one sold me. This is truly a tasters beer. It brought the style home to me in a way that makes me want to try even higher quality nut browns.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from the classic 550 ml into a point glass.

Brew comes in the classic Sam Smith style - gold foil top, with brown etched bottle. Pours a thin honey brown, opaque though to the light. Head was about a half finger, and had great retention and lacing.

Smell is big on the roased malts with notes of sweet caramel and milk chocolate. Taste has a huge malt profile as well - focussing on an earthy nutty flavor, mainly hazelnut. End is a bit of sour, which I've found in other Samuel Smith's.

Mouthfeel is thin, with muted viscosity. Brew sticks to your tongue and roof of your mouth though, lingering with some tastey hops.

Overall a very tastey brew - and a great brown ale. Certainly sessionable, and one that would pair great with a roasted turkey or meat loaf.

2.2/5  rDev -46.2%

Presentation: Victorian pint bottle into a large mug.

A- Medium auburn color. Tan head ~2 inches high off harsh pour; fades slowly with some lacing. Virtually no head retained after it has receded.

S- A bitter, "skunky", coppery/metallic smell. Perhaps a product of my nasal sufferings, but this is fairly unpleasant, and borderline awful.

T- Just like the smell; "skunky," bitter, and coppery/metallic. I have had this beer in the past and enjoyed it, so I give it a few more minutes to warm, then return. Same fetid results. I'm starting to think that I was sold an extremely out-dated bottle, or one taken from a highly unfortunate batch.

M- Somewhat thin and slick.

D- In this incarnation, very low. At this point, I'm fairly well convinced that I was sold a very outdated and/or tainted bottle. This one will have to be revisited and re-reviewed at a later date to ensure that I've given it a fair shake.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%

550ml brown glass bottle with gold foil wrapped cap. No freshness date.

Beer is crystal clear reddish caramel-brown with a great fluffy cream colored cloud of foam rising easily two fingers. I admire the clarity and color while I wait for the head to settle enough to finish the pour into my Sam Smith nonic.

Scent is caramel and lightly toasty.

Taste is a vivid sweet caramel, toffee. Sweet nutty malt flavors. A very mild soft bitterness at the finish. Minimal hops.

Mouth is creamy medium - on the thinner side.

Drinkability is outstanding.

This has long been my favorite English brown ale. Soft and understated, mildly sweet and eminently quaffable. Always a pleasure.

550mL bottle poured into UK pint glass. Beer pours brown amber with a tall, tan head. Faint caramel sweet aroma.

First sip is moderately carbonated and pleasing, sweet, with a long finish and just a hint of nuttiness. Not much body to the beer, but a complex set of flavors.

Only after drinking the beer for a while does the bitterness make itself apparent. The balance is so fine that you hardly notice the hops initially, but they're there. Starting with a totally clean palate, I'm so used to highly-hopped beers that I'm not sensitized to something so delicate. It simply doesn't have the highly-hopped bitterness you'd find in the American equivalent. The flavors are more natural (gentle?) and earthy.

Overall, I can't really say this is a great beer. It's good, I like it, I'll order it now and then, but I think it's overrated. It is a good beer, and it hasn't really reached premium pricing despite it's relatively high quality. But Rogue's Hazelnut brown it is not.

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Potter's clay with a blend of cioccolato and redwood. The beer certainly isn't entirely brown, there are lots of warming red highlights. Not that it is all that dark, although there is considerable clarity for a beer with shades of this depth. A thin sheet of off-white is netted across the top and splashed against the sides.

I can't claim to be sniffing out any particular kind of nut but the aroma is indeed 'nutty' in a very unspecific sort of way. Most of this smell, I think, can be attributed to the malts which have been toasted just right to bring out notes nutty and caramelized without introducing any element of roast.

The taste is less ambiguous and the distinction between 'nuts' and 'nutty' becomes clear thanks to a big, hefty malt bill. The flavour is a straightforward shot of toffee-rich, borderline sweet malts that again have been toasted just to the point of caramelization.

The beer itself is lightly bitter but a harsh, mineral rich water will amplify that. Despite this chalkiness, however, the beer maintains a very mild profile and lacks any chewiness that its colour and flavour might have implied. A little more texture might actually help push along the notes of hazelnut, pecan, and butterscotch that seem to linger in the finish.

Samuel Smith beers are classic, conventional examples of the great styles in England's rich brewing tradition. To some of today's beer drinkers they may seem a tad bland or unexciting, especially in comparison to 'new world' renditions. It is true that America's, and now other nation's, craft breweries have reinvented traditional styles, like the nut brown, with more attitude and extravagance. But much can still be said for traditional offerings...

I, for one, will always have a place in the fridge for beers like these - solid, simple beers whose strength lie in its very function: to be enjoyably drinkable. They may not have all the frills but they are nevertheless quality, reliable beers that can evoke epiphany on the palates of many new beer drinkers. They certainly did for me.

4.53/5  rDev +10.8%

Great Beer

Pours a beautiful dark brown with amber with a beige head. Great lacing with the head

Aroma is molasses, honey, very sweet, cream

Taste completely lives up the smell, good balance of the dry nuttiness with a sweet honey, chocolate. Not a lot of hop flavour in this beer. Notes of fruit, spices. Great complex flavour, and finished with a dry, very slightly bitter end.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low carbonation that is pretty soft

3.53/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a beautiful brown with ring around the collar.

Smells of nuttiness goodness, malts, and a little spice, alcohol.

Roasty toasty, nutty warmth,

full bodied, clean crisp aftertaste.

I thought I was reviewing an aftershave, but it turns out it's just a really good nut brown ale.

3.15/5  rDev -23%

Poured a brownish orange. Clear all the way through, no cloudiness at all. Good 2-finger head with a moderate pour. Great retention with a fair amount of lacing as I drink.

Smelled sweet like brown sugar and bread, almost like coffee cake. Some nut scent maybe pulling through.

Taste was smooth and creamy, with a slight caramel taste. A little too watery and flat for my liking. I was expecting a bit of a more robust brew. Low carbonation. All of these factors made this a highly quaffable brew, but I'd rather not. I like a bit more bite to my ales. I'm gonna pass.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Lovely translucent walnut brown with dark amber showing against the light. A nice clean, light head that fairly quickly dissipated to a thin ring which left a nice spotty lacing as it is consumed. Carbonation is light but visible.

S: Nutty (obviously) but aromatic - reminds me of their Oatmeal Stout

T: Light and clean. Tasty and well balanced. Nutty with a hoppy aftertaste that is very satisfying. Great tasting quality beer. Although it is thinner than a stout, even the taste seems to have a stout meatiness to it - real substantial.

M: Clean, smooth. Carbonation was perfect for me. Really like the strong finish - just keeps giving.

D: Once I get into the nut brown zone, I could put a few of these away. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Again, Samuel Smith has not disappointed me.

3.6/5  rDev -12%

12/08 slightly aggressive pour leads to a huge, dense head. (still a 4.5 appearance) smell is lovely: sweet, nutty, and fruity. kinda like a fruitcake. (still a 4, easy) now that i know what to expect from the taste and texture, it doesn't put me off like it did the first time. still would probably prefer more body and flavor, as i find myself gulping this stuff. at least the diacetyl isn't bugging me too much, and the friendly, easy character is starting to grow on me. taste upped from 3 to 3.5. mouthfeel from 2.5 to 3. drinkability from 3 to 3.5.

clear mahogany brown, persistent head and lace.
plums, red wine, lightly toasted malt, and copper to the nose.
take a swig and diacetyl surprises, coating the roof. the sweetness is quite reserved for a brown ale. some toasted malt and weak breakfast tea.
light to medium bodied--not nearly as full as expected or hoped.
slick, filmy mouthfeel. plenty of carbonation.
slicker, dryer, and thinner than imagined. the diacetyl is the biggest negative surprise, as imo it's both an unpleasant sensation and masks taste.
definitely expected a lot more of this highly hyped brew.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

A: It poured a brown body with a reddish hue and a tall robust head.

S: It had a sweet malty aroma with floral hops and hints of caramel.

T: It had a well balanced presence on the tounge with just about the right amount of malts and hints of oak, nuts and light spices.

M: It was medium bodied and moderately carbonated. It finished dry with a bit of sweet oaky aftertaste.

D: It has a moderate body, balanced flavor and low ABV making it a decent session brew. Its not my style but I'd never turn one away and could easily spend a long evening enjoying this brew.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Light brown in color with thin head of mist that clings and sticks around for a while. Aroma of sweet, roasted nuts with a hint of vanilla. Subtle carbonation allows for the flavorful roasted nuts to engulf the palate. Immerse yourself in the smooth, light creamy taste of this beer. Equally sweet and malty, a wonderful balance.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer pours a clear, amber/brown with a good head that did not last as long as I expected. There was some visible carbonation.

The smell was nutty and bready with plenty of sweetness from the malts.

The overall taste is nutty. It starts with some sweetness and a mild bitterness and finishes with a little stronger, but still fitting, bitterness. The beer is medium-bodied.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)