Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +11.2%

This pours a nice dark brown with a creamy, sticky, long-lasting, light brown head. Plenty of lacing, it doesn't stop.

The smell is very nice. Nutty and sweet with a soft malty smell.

The taste is lightly sweet, lightly toasted, and lightly fruity. The smallest bit of bitterness (almost coffee-like) in the back end gives it good balance. While it is quite tasty, it is also very nicely subtle. I like an aggressive tasting beer as much as anyone but this is a nice change of pace.

I'm taking a few more sips to try to find anything bad about the mouthfeel, but I can't. Moderate carbonation, not too oily or watery. The taste is easygoing to help the smoothness.

I only got one 550ml bottle to try this out and I wish I had another because this is a very drinkable ale. This isn't my favorite style, but this particular brew is one to visit.

DPMomutant, May 04, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +1%

This is my first Samuel Smith beer. I stopped in a local shop (lame selection besides some DFH) and wasn't willing to commit to a 6er of anything (lord knows I have more than enough beer at home) so I figured I'd go with some singles. The only real choice besides some SNPA and Sam Adams was Samuel Smith's. The 2 Brown Ales I've had before this were Smutty Nose Old Brown Dog (not enough carbonation) and New Castle Brown (used to love it, now it's watery and nasty...) so I'd almost written off Brown Ales altogether as a style I just don't enjoy. Anway,
This pours a beautiful deep mahogany with reddish amber highlights with a big frothy tan head that dissipates quickly (nice, sticky lacing down the Imperial Pint glass). The smell is heavenly --roasted nuts, caramel, toffee, bittersweet chocolate, dark fruit, more nuttiness... The taste is more of the same with a very complex and earthy tone. The mouthfeel is extremely smooth but the carbonation adds a perfect zip and tingle on the tongue.
This brew is great and I'm glad I grabbed it and gave it a shot; Brown Ales are back on the list of categories that I need to get into -- I know the English are masters of this style and there are some great US makers as well. Although the beer is complex and dark and extremely flavorful it doesn't bog down and seems quite drinkable. I could easily session through a number of pints of this... very nice indeed.

Gasp100, May 03, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

I wish I had found this a long time ago. This belongs under "classic British ales." The "old brewery Tadcaster" has successfully walked the line of wide/mass appeal and never copromised quality, as this Nut Brown makes clear. Invariably, those who enjoy a good British ale will find it difficult to pick out any deficiencies in this brew.

Pouring from their 550 ml clear bottle, the ale looks delicious, and just as a nut brown style should. Rich reds and dark browns meld to create an amber brilliance which appears every bit as good as it tastes. Nice, dark-cream coloured head, which leaves a patchwork of lace clinging to the glass. Absolute perfect appearance. This is how a nut brown should look. I smell faint roasted flavours, almonds, sweet grassy, musky hops, caramel, chocolate, and some others I cannot identify readily. An aroma full of different nuances. The taste is a superb balance between some toasted malt sweetness and earthy hop bitterness. The malt is dominant, but the hops add exactly what they should to the taste. At first it is all caramel malt sweetness, on the middle more of the same, but the finish is where it all comes together; this is where you taste the full bready malt, and feel the bitter hops. Slight spices, chocolate caramel, banana, tangerine, and slight fruit-brandy flavours are what I detected. Peppery grainy feel in the mouth. It leaves the mouth with a dry but not unenjoyable sensation. Highly drinkable, since the style is likely to offend no one, and please every good ale drinker. Good carbonation and smooth creaminess favour it highly for drinkability.

Cwrw, Apr 26, 2004

I picked up a single of this from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. I’m excited to try this one as most other BA’s seem to like it. At the same time the clear bottle makes me nervous.

Pours out with the standard diluted-cola, brown ale appearance. A respectable two finger head appears and then quickly recedes into a thin bubbly layer on top. Lots of big carbonation and again I am reminded of cola. The big bubbles recede and there is no lacing left on the glass to speak of.

When I open the bottle my first impression is the tainted skunkiness to the aroma. It’s not that bad here, not as bad as I’ve experienced elsewhere anyway. A vague sweet, nutty maltiness is detected underneath. Bitter twinges ring about the edges. The faint skunkiness actually recedes rather well, and I can ignore it at this point.

The taste is classic. Flatly sweet, caramel is present, with the faintest nutty hints. Earthy, bitter notes play a bit stronger than I expected across the sides and back of my tongue. Faint alcohol, and dry, nutty aftertaste lingers ever-so-slightly at the back of my palette. Carbonation is middling, and mouthfeel is medium light, very drinkable.

This beer basically epitomizes the style in my opinion. I could definitely handle more than one of these. There are other styles I appreciate more than this one, but this is my definite recommendation for someone who is a big fan of Brown Ales.

FormatKid, Apr 20, 2004

This brew is surprisingly a brown colored brew, small tight brown bubbly head on top. The nose has some bitter hops and sweet malt notes. As for the taste we got smooth malt, bitter hop, some nutty tones, possibly slight roasted malt. This is probably the best brown ive have to date, but i cant say that ive become a major fan of the style. I think if youre into browns then this is a good one to try.

Tballz420, Apr 11, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

this great beer poured reddish brown with a fluffy and creamy light brown head from a 550 ml clear bottle. Couldn't notice much smell. Very well balanced taste with a sweet malty flavor with a pronounced hop flavor from the beginning. Very drinkable while being hoppy enough for my taste and having a creamy texture. I really didn't expect this kind of hop character from a Sam Smith. I am impressed with this one.

yeagerbm, Apr 09, 2004
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured a very smooth ruby/brown color with a small tan head. Smell is very malty with small hints of alcohol?? I wasn't expecting that out of this beer, pretty pleasant aroma. Taste is a truck load of malt but very well balanced. While there is a strong malt presence this beer is pretty subtle, could easily be a session beer as it's anything but palate fatiguing.

soper2000, Apr 08, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +19.8%

Appearance:
Very dark brown, cloudy. Head is very fluffy and creamy looking. Looks fantastic.

Smell:
Carmel hops and a slight sweetness comes through. A very crisp and pleasent smell.

Taste:
Increadible flavor. Slight burnt and malty taste intially.. fades into a creamy, sweet nutty taste. One of the best I've tasted.

Mouthfeel:
Thick and creamy in mouth. Carbonation level is dead on. Once again one of the best.

Drinkability:
May be the best beer I've ever had... tastes great. I could easily drink a few of these.

jsolack, Apr 03, 2004
3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Hate that damn gold foil on sam smith's beers. Usually a little flake falls into the glass. Anyway, pours out a nice brown color. Aroma consisted of nice toffee, butterscotch, and buttery tones. Taste was pretty much of what the aroma consisted of. The buttery tones mixed in with the toffee. Blends very well. Quite a decent brew, blows Newcastle's brown ale out the water.

necoadam, Mar 30, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Creamy head, a light tan, leaves an equally creamy lace. Pours a mahogany shade. Smells of caramel, slightly nutty. Feels similar to other of their brews, a full, creamy feeling, with gentle carbonation. Tastes a bit on the sweet side, caramel or crystal malts the majority of the impact, with hops there, as an afterthought. Buttery aftertaste with a clean finish. A distinct offering of the style, but not outstanding enough for me to buy more than one at a time.

ism, Mar 28, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium reddish brown with a medium sized creamy/crusty tan head. Good lacing.
Smell is nutty and malty, with some sweet alchohol aromas.
Taste is much the same. butterscotch, stale bread with some nut flavors and a kick of sour fruit at the end - some alchohol flavors present, which in my opinion improves the taste.
Mouthfeel is medium in thickness and a little bit buttery.
Interesting as a change of pace.

jwilli7122, Mar 27, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: deep brown/ruby, clear, thick head which remained throughout my quaff
Smell: Sweet malt with strong coffee overtones
Taste: I found the "roasted coffee" aspect of this beer to overwhelm the rest of the picture, substantial bitterness, enough the give a hint of that " ashtray" taste
Mouthfeel: creamy, substantial, if not for the flaws in the taste profile, a great feeling beer
Drinkability: an interesting beer to try, but I'm not going to sit around drinking many of these

surfmeister, Mar 03, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Bought a 4 pack of this. I've had it many times but decided to finally write a review. Poured a dark amber color with a dark tan head. It settled quickly and the smell came. Sweet malts in this one. Very good mouthfeel too. Drinkable but very sweet. You could take em down easy but would you want to? I like to savor this one.

AbePhroman, Mar 02, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice bubbly head, beautiful dark brown, but not opaque.

Smells awesome, great sweetness, light nuttiness, slight citrus notes.

Very full mouthfeel, nice nuttiness, slight bitterness. As it warms, a brown sugar flavor and aroma becomes slightly apparent. Very nice carbonation as well.

Sweetness becomes more present as it warms. Crispness is always present, however.

My new favorite nut brown, an excellent brew!

Southernbrew, Mar 01, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Nice, reddish brown pour leaves a thick white head. The head settles down to a nice thin layer.

Candied malt aromas with nutty spices. This is a really fine smelling ale.

Taste is malty with light sweet nut flavors. The flavors play a nice slow exit ... they linger for abit and then slowly fade away. So fine.

Mangus, Feb 23, 2004

Pours a clear hazelnut brown with a thick lacy tan head. Smell is caramel malt. Lightly nutty.

Taste is slightly bitter and malty up front. Caramel and sweet malt. Some metallic flavors. Quite bitter, more bitterness than I was expecting but not a lingering bitter aftertaste. Pretty complex yet smooth. Very drinkable and tasty.

ViveLaChouffe, Feb 23, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a clear dark brown ale.

Smell is fruity and perfumey with a mild malt aroma.

Nice flavor, malt and burnt sugar, a bit of perfume. Mildly sweet with a brown sugar after taste. Prune and Raisin flavors come out later.

Good Mouthfeel.

Very drinkable, mild yet not bland.

Zorro, Feb 17, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottle - Poured a clear brown colored beer with a medium head that has very little retention. Smells of hops is clearly present with a very subtle touch of nut sweetness. Taste is very ''creamy'' with again a sweet touch of hazelnut. Medium body with standard carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer but I would have enjoyed it more if the hazelnut taste had been more accentuated.

Phyl21ca, Feb 16, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured it into the glass to discover a not-so-brown appearance. I was thinking to myself, where is the brown in my nut brown? Other than this strange scene, the rest of the experience was great. It smelled wonderful - a full nose of matly and bitter, but not over bearing...subtle really. but i like subtle. Taste was a great combination of bitter and malt...very full bodied and rich. I could easily lose myself in a case of these.

GuinnessSmurf, Feb 13, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

550mL bottle, with foiled cap, part of the Samuel Smith's Selection Box, purchased at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA

Poured into an imperial pint glass, a creamy light beige head forms on top of a clear mahogany liquid. The head was short-lived, and there was little lacing during the drinking experience. Minimal aroma, maybe the slightest of hops essence, but the taste is a good match of malt and bitterness. The flavors kind of swirl around the tongue duelling for superiority, and the bout ending a pleasing draw. Not surprisingly, another worthy ale from Sam Smith...

ppoitras, Feb 09, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

This brew pours reddish-brown in color and is very clear. The head is off white and small, also fades to a layer around the glass.
The aroma is malty with some floral hop characters coming through, maybe a faint light struck quality (damn clear bottles!)
The first sip reveals a mild sweet caramel taste and also a slightly creamy soft texture. Gentle carbonation. A slightly bitter hop finish which makes me want to take another sip.
This is a very drinkable brew and I think it would be a very nice match for the main course of Thanksgiving dinner.

sulldaddy, Feb 08, 2004
3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

A good beer with food, its astringency or is it bitterness works to add to roast beef and patatoes meal. Haven't done a sample but I bet UK reviewers rank this higher. Canadians can try a couple of more balanced lighter versions of this type such as Wellington's. Brown colour looks like matter is there and suds on top look like dish soap. Also strong carbonation begs for food relief.

Sammy, Jan 25, 2004

The beer pours a translucent brown color with a thin off-white head. The aroma is good. It is malty and full of roasted and victory malts. The taste is also good. It is malty, but a bit watery. It finishes dry, but good down smooth. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. It is an excellent nut brown ale. It is refreshing and not at all bitter like most English ales I try.

WesWes, Jan 21, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: It's a fairly transparent brownish-red with a pillowy, light tan head.

Taste: The taste is of nutty malt, as can be expected.

Drinkability: I could drink these all night if I could afford it.

This is one of the first beers I really loved. It will always be a point of comparison for other brown ales, especially nut browns. I've never tasted another beer that has replicated the flavor.

BeefyMee, Jan 19, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Deep chestnut brown color with thick brown head that lingered for a long time and left clingy lace. Mouthfeel was very good with velvety texture and above average body thickness. The taste was dominated by rich malts with hints of coffee and caramel thrown in for good measure. PAs it warms up, more of the much anticipated dry nutty favor comes in. True to the styly, this beer has a very light helping of hops, so the smell was a bit unremarkable with a sour yeasty note. The best that I've had from this brewery so far.

rajendra82, Jan 18, 2004
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)