Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Very nice, big head that refuses to die. Brown.

Smells like roasted malt and caramel. Tastes the same. Nuts and malt up front, a more dry caramel malt in the back. Just sweet enough, but not very complicated. Good, smooth body, very light carbonation. Goes down smooth. I could drink this stuff all night--at 3.99 a pint, though, I think I'll switch to something else.

mynie, Nov 05, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

Great presentation of a beer that automatically ups its appearance...nice 550 ml bottle wrapped in gold foil at the top (also, only $2.79 a the local grocery store). Pours with a ncie head and medium carbonation. A little too amber colored to remind me of a nut brown. Smells of strong hops and no nuttiness to speak of. A bit too bitter, almost tastes like an ESB. I've had this a few times and each time I've tried to be impressed but it's just not making the grade in comparison to other local nut browns.

Backer2004, Nov 01, 2004

Pours dark reddish-brown with a small tan head that dissipates pretty quickly. Smells of toasted malts and sweet carmel. Taste is toasted malt, nutty, with a little carmel sweetness. Also some mildly fruity esters make a welcome appearance and just a little bitterness on the finish. Very tasty. Good session beer! I liked it a lot.

jimdkc, Nov 01, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Although this beer calls itself a nut brown I would call is more of a dark amber. Has an off white head sitting on top. Smell is of malt and esters but there is a sulfury note reminincent of wine and an unpleasant one at that. Taste is of roasty malt throughout. Hops are there for bitterness only. There is a slight fruity ester with a winey acidic twang but very mild. Moderately carbonated and thick syrupy body. As it is very mild on the palate it could make a great session beer.

zacharius, Oct 28, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -10%

Clear 550ml bottle.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with a reddish hue when held up to the light. Has a thick, off-white head which recedes quicker than expected.

Smell: Slight skunk upon popping off the cap..aroma is of butterscotch, caramel, chocolate, toffee, nuts, etc..

Taste: Chocolate malts & nutty flavor. Bitter chocolate finish. Rich overall taste.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel and very smooth for such rich flavor.

Drinkability: Decent drinkability but I'm really not sure if it's worth the high price-tag. I drank a couple of these and enjoyed them, but was wanting to grab something else afterwords.

Overall, a good brown ale and definitely one worth trying. But the clear bottles have a tendency to leave some "euroskunk" from time to time, and until the brewery changes their ways, I can't give this any higher marks.

hero27, Oct 22, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Caramel brown with a touch of garnet. Decent head with nice lacing.

Smell: Caramel and nuts from the malt with a distinct bit of alcohol on the nose

Taste: A bunch of flavor jumps out at you and gets better as the beer breathes a bit. Caramel sweetness with a dry nutty bitterness that blend quite nicely and linger for a while.

Mouthfeel: Just a bit too much carbonation but otherwise full bodied.

Drinkability: The carbonation limits my appetite to drink more than one of these, but overall it is a very nice brew.

brentk56, Sep 26, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -11.2%

Beautiful red body with thin off-whited chunky head. Aroma of tree sap and caramel. Walnuts and almonds. Resiny bitterness, which I thought was surprisingly forward for the style. Very sweet aftertaste. A very moderate in terms of intensity or body.
Very complex but not very exciting.

Naerhu, Sep 20, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a nice brown with tan head, lacing will mark the glass. The smell is of hazelnuts and cream, a hint of cinnamon lurks, caramel and chewy thickness reside in the glass. The taste is a dark chewy sweet with nut thickness, a hint of lightly toasted grain. Not bad, had better.

beertaster13, Sep 19, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Poures a rich reddish brown color with a a thin off-white head. I think that I got a skunked one as the aroma reminded me of a heineken, with a skunky, musky aroma. The taste was nothing like the aroma as it was full of light sweet malt in the front which segues to a dry, nutty lingering malt flavor.The dry finish of the malt flavors is accentuated by a low carbonation level and I believ that they use a bit of kettle sugars in the recipe. The hops are present but only as a balance to the initial malt sweetness. Dry in the finish yet sweet in the begining allows this beer to be very flavorful and very refreshing. Malt is the flavor that gets showcased in this brew yet it has a nice balance of flavors that gives it a complexity not normally found in malt oriented beers. An excellent session beer as well as a very good example of a brown ale as long as you can avoid a skunked one. Clear bottles are cheap and should only be used for cheap adjunct lagers.

RenoZymurgist, Sep 05, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Wasn't too impressed when I initially tasted this brew, but the second half of the 550ml bottle is spectacular. I think it just needed to warm a bit. Hands down the best brown ale I've had. Granted, browns aren't the most intriguing beers, but this one was definitely a treat.
Poured a sparkling amber with a tall silky tan head that lingered til the beer was finished. Smelled of dried fruits, raisins and prunes come to mind, with an other ambiguous scent that seems a regular visitor to English beers. Yeast maybe?
Mouthfeel feels slightly thin, but I've been drinking a lot of stouts lately, par for the course for a brown ale.
Taste starts with a ripe fruity flavor goes bitter for a second and ends with and incredibly smooth nutty flavor. I was truly sad when I took my last sip. Must buy more!!!

Onceeven, Sep 02, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -22.2%

Not quite what I expected from a nut brown by Samuel Smith. It has a pleasant ruby brown color with a nice 1.5" tan head. As for the smell, it was hard to tell since I had been using spray paint part of the day. It was not as rich or smooth as I am used to with other brown ales. It did go down quite well though. I think that I will re-visit this beer again soon to see if my senses were just off.

zodiacv1, Aug 25, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +10%

Pours a silken chestnut with mounds of fluffed beige.
Fragrant of peanut brittle, chocolate, maple- including bark, sap, and leaves-, hazelnuts, and buttered pumpernickel.
Begins full and round. Drippingly dry toffee malt base, layered thick with carob and suede-hued hazelnuts. Sweet cream and butter built in the middle and explode into home made, vanilla ice cream. Carob, suede and hazelnut reform late, aided by traces of liquorice and amaretto, but battled thoroughly with a forceful sortie of withered herb bitterness.
Glassy through the mouth, and milky once there. Lean portliness. As close to cask as a bottled brown ale may ever come.
This, once again, is a Samuel Smith jewel.

cokes, Aug 24, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Brown ales aren't my favorite and I am usually biased but I liked this enough to have more than one.
Sienna hue with a slight ring on the crown with no lace to see. Smelled roasted nuts, perhaps toffee and a slight coffee charcter. A bitterness comes out at first bt is soon smoothed out with hints of caramel and coffee. Althoug average the mouth feel was pleasently smooth with a small slickness left afterwards.

Ahhdball, Aug 20, 2004

From a clear 12 oz. bottle pours a brownish/red clear liquid with a nice foamy off-white head. Smells are of slight toasted malt, along with butterscotch. Taste is a nice toasted hazelnut along with hints of toffee and butter. Medium body with good carbonation, give this an almost creamy feel. Overall, this is one great nut brown. A true classic and standard.

Bierguy5, Aug 10, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear dark ruby-brown color with a 2 finger, dark cream colored head. The head settles to 1/2 inch and sticks around the whole time leaving a moderate amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Strong to the point of seeming artificial aroma of sweet caramel sprinkled with walnuts. Too strong and cloying for my taste.

Taste: Subtle (at least compared to the smell) caramel malts and nuts with just a touch of bitterness and a nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium body with moderate carbonation. Very nice.

Drinkability: Hindered by the overpowering aroma. I didn’t want to stick my nose way down into the glass to drink the last quarter.

Notes: Right now this isn’t something I want to drink all the time, but I definitely want to try it again when I’m a more experienced BA.

toddw8, Aug 08, 2004

I had this out of a clear 12 oz bottle served in a pint glass.

The appearance is a true darkish brown. Nice head with some trace sticky lacings on the sides.

I smell walnuts and a little skunk aroma. From the clear bottle ?

Very tasty brown ale with some malty sweetness and a dry completion. A little bit of hop bitterness, but minimal in the overall profile of the beer.

Hibernator, Aug 06, 2004
4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into previously acquired Samuel Smith's Imperial pint glass. My new favorite beer word is "garnet" because it's kind of that clearish deep ruby red with tendencies towards brown. Or, at least, the way I've been describing it. This is how this one pours, with the ever so slight head. So much for that, but it's proper, and has a really really nice colour. The nose is this coffee caramel kind of like the way candy caramel smells but much more subtle. Moving onto taste, I kind of have to take issue because it tastes like... watered down coffee. In a good and bad way. It's kind of like a [gasp!] light porter! The roasty caramel flavour wraps itself around one's tongue, and the bitterness finishes off by sticking itself to the tongue. It has sort of port/sherry overtones. I know I've been saying this a bit lately, but it's kind of like, yeah, like port/sherry. As with all Smith beers, mouthfeel is wonderful, but the carbonation almost promises to fill one up prematurely. Drinkability? We don't need no stinkin' drinkability. Let's quaff this one all night as long as the "4" lets us.

twilight, Jul 18, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

550ml bottle, clear

Pours with a dark ruby body, fairly fomay head, slightly off tan in colour

Smell, malty, toasted aroma, nutty fragrance

Taste, malty thick body, hazelnut nuttiness coming through, slight hop bitterness

A good ale, not enough hops for me though

cypressbob, Jul 14, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

The foamy head looks quite silky. The body has a nice dark amber-purple color, maybe mahogany. The smell shows a round dark maltiness; it reminds me of a good chewy toffee, the kind that stays in the mouth forever or at least on your teeth. Also a toasted nutty aroma, with hints of chestnut and maybe low diacetyl. The taste is nicely malty, but didn't show the same toffee aspect as the smell. I got more of a toasted impression, and then the round nutty-chestnutty aspect appeared, together with the thick hops and a certain dark chocolate bitterness. Mouthfeel is quite consistent, quite creamy and enjoyably carbonated; it is a nice balance of the ingredients, with a hop presence and thickness a bit more pronounced than I would have expected. A very enjoyable beer.

tjd25, Jul 11, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Paid $11.79 for a 3pk. (550mL) gift set with pint glass and two coasters...

The appearence is another top-rate quality as assumed from Sammy Smith. An Amber body beer with a tanish-white head, med-to-small sized retains well, lacing is a nice touch to the beers' overall appearence. The aroma is a wonderful mix of mixed nuts with a few hints of candy smell flavors.

The taste is awesome, smooth as can be it's like a fresher more flavorful Newcastle, without any flaws. The mouthfeel and drinkability are up there. No harshness detected, no desire to stop drinking... great palette feel, great blended ale.

Final Thought: Wow, just as stated above, a Newcastle++ one plus for the full taste the other plus because it's just that good!

mobyfann, Jul 10, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz. bottle (from the four packs)

Pours very calm, I had to really drop the last few ounces to get any head from this one. That tan small bubble head vanishes immediately. The beer is a beautiful deep red-brown, reminds me of redwood.

Smell is malt, apple cider, celery, caramel. I didn't find all that many nutty tones in my sample, but not to worry I got that in the taste. Very sweet start and dry bitter mid-to finish. The hops were a welcome kick after the incredibly sweet start. I haven't the ability to distinguish what type of nut flavor I taste, but the general nutty oils are present and pleasant.

The mouthfeel on this one is good, the body is medium but the carbonation is small homegeneous bubbles that it produce a fantastic texture.

This is a great beer, I hope I can try it on tap some day.

hobbes2112, Jul 08, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -1%

A very nice red-brown (mahogany perhaps?) colour with a generous tan head that is persistant. Good hard carbonation.

Aromas is subtle, with some honey, sweet malts and maybe a touch of caramel coming through. Very quiet, but very nice.

Palate is a lot stronger, with waves of honey, maple syrup, nuts and malts sweeping through with force. Sweetness is stronger than the bitterness with leads to a very round, creamy and full mouthfeel.

Exciting stuff, and another classy as hell Sammy Smith.

koolk, Jul 06, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Three fingers of light tan, flat, dense, doughy head. Dark, deep, red-brown, clear body. Sweet toffee, bread dough and caramel in the nose. Caramel toffee in the front leads to a butterfest caramel malty middle. Finishes bitter with some fruit. Nice. Fun alcohol fruit burps. This is a great, malty, caramely, buttery ale. One of my favorite Samuel Smiths.

kbub6f, Jul 01, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -8.3%

When I first tried this beer back in April, I thought I might have purchased a skunked bottle of it. And after buying another one, I'd have to say I was right.

Pours out dark brown with a huuuge, fluffy, tan head. To me, this is how a beer was meant to look. When I picture a beer, the image of a Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale comes to mind. Simply gorgeous. The smell was extremely subtle. No real aromas stand out. The taste is a bit like caramel. Good balance between the hops and malt. Leaves the mouth slightly dry, but isn't really too bad. Can't drink too many of these. No real complaints about this beer, but maybe a touch overrated. Nonetheless, I would recommend it to just about anyone.

Jacobob10, Jun 29, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +1%

Excellent deep cherry-brown color and creamy tan head, not as much carbonation as some of their other offerings. A nice nutty smell, smooth taste of roasted almonds and buttery toffee with a hint of brown sugar, topped with an even hop bitterness. Great mouthfeel with a chewy nutty aftertaste, leaves you wanting more. Very drinkable, quality beer, I haven't found a Samuel Smiths I don't like yet.

PopeJonPaul, May 20, 2004
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)