Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,416 | Hads: 3,628
3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Crystal clear mahogany red body with a rich, soft, creamy off-white head. Sweet, robust, nutty malt aroma; almost like maple syrup. Light malt taste, not too sweet, with a rather strong, off-putting bitterness at the end; stale. Light bodied; somewhat watery.

A disappointing beer; makes me think I got an old bottle (no date listed on the label) since I get very little brown ale malt sweetness in the taste. Looks and aroma promised good things, but the taste didn't live up to the anticipation. I have had better bottles of this beer in the past; unfortunately, this is the one I happened to review. And so it goes with drinking imported beer without any bottling information...

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle - Poured a clear brown colored beer with a medium head that has very little retention. Smells of hops is clearly present with a very subtle touch of nut sweetness. Taste is very ''creamy'' with again a sweet touch of hazelnut. Medium body with standard carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer but I would have enjoyed it more if the hazelnut taste had been more accentuated.

Part of the Holiday gift box, purchased from Martignetti's

Appearance = Deep,dark brown with minimal head and decent lacing.

Smell = Sweet, malty grains and not much else. Fairly average smell for this style.

Taste = Nothing really unique about this. Just reminds me of a typical brown ale. There's a bit more alcohol present in the taste which provides a little more complexity but other than that it's nothing special

Overall = This is above average but nothing really to talk about. Reminds me of many other brown ales and doesn't have enough to push it above the pack.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: This beer has a nice red brown color and a modest light brown head that fades fairly quickly. Scattered thin lacing adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: Lots of toasted malt, rustic brown bread notes, and a faint nut character, like roasted pecans.

Taste: Opens with lots of roasted and mildly nutty malts, like toasted pecans. AS the taste progresses, moderate bitter cocoa notes appear. Finishes with a mild, lingering earthy note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A very pleasant and drinkable example.

Presentation: Packaged in a Victorian-era style custom bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

I don't know if it's the slate squares or what but this has the same oatmeal sweetness of the oatmeal stout. The start is a bit bitter and nutty and the middle comes the sweetness and a bit of an odd sugar cookie bit.... I must say that I like these Sammy Smith's brews but they really kinda mesh together a bit too much... all tasting a bit too much like each other... not as distinctive as I'd prefer given the price tag. The appearance is top notch as a hazy orange/brown with a 1" well-retaining head. It's an easy drinker and I could easily pound a few if not for the $.
Good.... but that's it.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

I had this beer as part of a beer appreciation program at Cloverleaf Tavern in New Jersey.

I poured the beer into a weizen glass. It had a one finger head. The color was a light brown (shocking, a brown beer with that color). The head held until the first drink. It left some pretty lacing on the glass.

The aroma was of english hops, but not much more. I was looking for some nuttiness, but I couldn't find it.

The drinkability was nice and clean. There wasn't much challenge in the taste of this beer. It wasn't a bad flavor, but it wasn't exceptional. The taste is average. The beer has a very nice history, but they had plenty of time to improve on the flavor (but didn't). They brag about the process on the label, but not the flavor as much. I tried to identify a nut flavor from the taste, and then I tried to figure which nut it was. The label didn't even say which nut. I like some nut flavor, but I wish they could have picked a nut.

Side note: what is up with the foil? I know that used to be a sign of quality. Now the flavor alone determines the quality. The foil is only good for getting in your beer. It is just a pain in the drinking process.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance : Nice bottle with gold foil top. Poured into a pint glass a nice brown to walnut color. A thick 1" head of fairly large bubbles dissipated quickly to just a small lace. There were small tight bubbles of carbonation present in the upper half of the glass but not many rising from the bottom.

Smells: Nice aromatic beer. Balance of roasted malts and hops with a spicy nutty smell. Very earthy.

Taste: Light smooth beginning with a dry hoppy finish. Small traces of chocolate at the finish. Not as nutty or spicy as the color makes it look. The taste was average but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated to a flat dry finish. Left my mouth dry and craving something to quench my thirst with.

Drinkability: If someone offered me this beer I would not refuse. Its a nice nutty earthy beer but the beautiful color raises your expectations only to dissapoint with an average taste.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Not quite what I expected from a nut brown by Samuel Smith. It has a pleasant ruby brown color with a nice 1.5" tan head. As for the smell, it was hard to tell since I had been using spray paint part of the day. It was not as rich or smooth as I am used to with other brown ales. It did go down quite well though. I think that I will re-visit this beer again soon to see if my senses were just off.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured a brownish orange. Clear all the way through, no cloudiness at all. Good 2-finger head with a moderate pour. Great retention with a fair amount of lacing as I drink.

Smelled sweet like brown sugar and bread, almost like coffee cake. Some nut scent maybe pulling through.

Taste was smooth and creamy, with a slight caramel taste. A little too watery and flat for my liking. I was expecting a bit of a more robust brew. Low carbonation. All of these factors made this a highly quaffable brew, but I'd rather not. I like a bit more bite to my ales. I'm gonna pass.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

WIFE bought me the bomber for my birthday....

A I'd have to call this a deep ruby Red. Nice looking brew indeed. impressively thick 2 finger head that settles with light lacing. lots of clarity

S: faily bland to the nose...a bit malty is all.

T: not bad - sweet / leaves a bit (just a bit) of a hoppy follow-up. too sweet for my taste but not horrible

M: faily heavy carbonation, a bit of alcohol bite, lots of depth here

D: this one is a mixed bag. I dont really like it but appreciate its complex qualitries.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Musty swet roast malt smell. Dark red color with an airy brown head. Light malt notes on the front of the tongue followed by a slightly bitter sweetness on the back of the tongue. There is a clean finish to the brew but not a ton of complexity to the taste. The mouth is also needs some body. This brew did not impress me very much. I expected more layers of nutty flavor. I would very much like to try this on tap and compare.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

I have to agree with some of the reviews I've seen here. I tried this one after hearing that it was so amazing, and while it's not bad, I really wasn't terribly impressed. The name says it all: Nut Brown Ale. Visually, it's a bit dull- brown body with a tan head. Smell was actually quite nutty... Should this be a shocker? I'm not really sure. The mouthfeel was thin, although it could simply be my preference for a thicker beer that lead my to this conclusion. The taste was not bad at all, but nothing remarkable. Really, there is nothing wrong with this drink, but there is nothing amazing about it either.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle poured into 16oz. tumbler.

A: Dark reddish-brown, auburn color. No head or lacing.

S: Molasses, maybe maple. Earthy aromas.

T: Soy taste overpowers most other flavors. Sweet malt, not too bitter with hop.

M: Too carbonated for my taste.

D: It's ok to have one, I wouldn't reach for a second. Too strong on the soy flavor; kind of kills it.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a deep ruby; semi-transparent with a thick, clingy tan one-finger head.

Smells of caramel, molasses, butter, nuts.

Bleh! A fair bit of oxidation has set in. Trying to get pas that, there is a nice nutty flavor that is offset by a very appropriate amount of malting.

Normally I could drink this all night, but not this particular beer. This one was not up to snuff. I know it is better than this, and I hope to review a fresher one soon. I wouldn't submit this review at all, but Samuel Smith and his crew need to be taken to task for their bottle coloring. This happens way to often. I was also recently burned by a heavily oxidized 4pack of the Winter Welcome. Shape up boys, or people will start thinking your beer actually does taste like dollar bills.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

After reading the reviews and seeing this beer on the shelf every time I go to the liquor store, I thought I would give it a try. After trying it, I don't see what the big deal is. Smell, taste, and mouthfeel are all pretty average. Nothing really jumps out in the nose or the taste. The mouthfeel is pretty thin too.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed. It's not a bad beer but it's not great either. Just average, I guess. I don't think I'll buy this again.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a Sam Smith pint glass (but of course!)

A: Pours a beautifully clear dark amber color, with a foamy two-finger light mocha colored head with mediocre retention and decent lacing.

S: Some caramel, toffee, and a bit of nuttiness. Plain and simple, I like the way it smells.

T: Truth be told, I'm not always a fan of the malt profile in most amber/brown ales, and this is no exception. Very biscuity flavor to me, and almost reminiscent of sourdough bread. Still, there is a touch of nuttiness on the back end which I like, and of course, the mineral-y hard water taste typical of Sam Smith beers.

M: Light carbonation, and honestly, it feels a bit flat and watery in the mouth. Could use a little less dryness in the finish. It reminds me of an Irish Stout in the mouth, which means A) I'm not blown away by its feel, and B) it would be a lot better on tap.

O: Not a big fan of this, to be frank, though I don't hate it at all. Probably my least favorite Samuel Smith beer to date, and not something I'd willingly go for in the future, unless I caught it on draft.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Looks decent enough. Still a little thin, but I can't say I've ever had a traditional brown ale I didn't think that about.

Aroma, faint biscuit nut toffee thing going, and that resonates on the taste buds as well. Don't come here looking for hops or bitterness. Mouthfeel maintains, doesn't grow or subside, a little pricey and bland on the drinkability scale.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance - The color is very pretty although I have discounted points due to the look of the head. The carbonation is thin and doesn't sit on the beer very long.

Taste - The taste to me is neither exciting or bad. It's hard to explain but I would say that it tastes like a good beer that has been watered down.

Mouthfeel - To second my opinion on taste it kind of feels thin.

Drinkability - The best part about this beer is that it's easy to drink. Smooth and light.

I don't really love anything about the beer in particular. However, the fact that it doesn't taste bad in anyway and it's easy to drink I'd put this beer right in the middle of the pack. On a side note I feel that the bottle implies a heavy, thick, high alcohol % beer. The fact that it's not also negativity affects my overall opinion.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 18.7 oz. bottle. Has a pretty dark brown color with ruby hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is very mild, I am not able to detect much of anything. Taste is also rather mild, some nuttiness, a bit of hops, a touch of caramel. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a decent brew.

A: Darker amber brown, 1 finger head, light lacing

S: Toffee with malty notes

T: Toffee with dry bitterness, some earthy and nutty flavors present

M: Fairly smooth with some residual feeling

D: Typical style brown ale, pretty drinkable

Not a huge fan of english browns, but I am trying to keep it from skewing my review. Overall from what I have had so far this one is very middle of the road.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Dark honey brown. Perfectly clear. Head is a very light tan/dirty off-white. Head is creamy, and drops to a small cap and smooth collar.

Smell: British water and yeast. Vaguely toasted and nutty. Some underlying hints of cocoa and caramel malt sweetness. Minerals and some earth. Distinctly Sam Smith. Some grassy notes. Breast maltiness. Some roasted notes as well.

Taste: Straight up English. Layers of grass, rocks, and slightly toasted malts. Minor chocolate, caramel malt sweetness, and cracker. Bready. Slightly roasted. So much grassy rock flavor. British water and yeast character ramps up as the best warms. Sweet and mellow. Vague nuttiness rolling throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate to light carbonation. Clean.

Overall: GE 100.

English, but not insane. Sam Smith's was one of my introductions to craft beer. Start here and you can't really go wrong.

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

I always feel like I'm missing the point on these English beers. There are certain flavors and elements in so many English beers I just find offensive. Thankfully this one avoids that and yields a mellow and enjoyable beer.

Pours a bright reddish color, brown it is now. There's a nice tall 2 finger head, it doesn't hold which surprises me given the deep and creamy appearance. Pour lacing is also a surprise.

The beer smells and tastes about the same. Sweet malt with just the most subtle hints of roast, ignored and missed unless one looks for it. The finish tries to bring in some hops, no bitterness really comes through but it adds a certain spice to the mix.

Really drinkable and easy to enjoy almost anytime at 5% abv.

I really want more "nut" like elements here. This beer is extremely one dimensional, even for the style. I suspect a fresher bottle would bring in some more complexity and and give some more balance to the malt. Sadly I can't really seek out fresher versions of this living in the states.

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Red brown, able to see through center of glass. Tall off-white head leaving a lot of lacing behind.

S - Sweet malts and maybe a bit of caramel

T - Dry malty flavor. Quite mild with little after-taste.

M - Mild coating and only a bit of tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - Easily drinkable, but not even clost to a early choice. Many better options avqailable.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

A good beer with food, its astringency or is it bitterness works to add to roast beef and patatoes meal. Haven't done a sample but I bet UK reviewers rank this higher. Canadians can try a couple of more balanced lighter versions of this type such as Wellington's. Brown colour looks like matter is there and suds on top look like dish soap. Also strong carbonation begs for food relief.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a (yikes!) clear bottle into a glass... beer left little to no head with some agitation.

Aroma? Mostly yeast, caramel, and maybe just a faint hop background. Also, I think I detect some diacytel.

The taste was a combination of salt, yeast, and a chocolate nuttiness. Very little hop bitterness or aroma in this one.

My favorite thing about this one was the mouthfeel. Very silky, and medium to full-bodied.

Overall, more drinkable than a Newcastle, but nothing I'd seek out in a bar.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)