Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: English Brown Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,443 | Ratings: 3,763
3.38/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Brown pour with an amber tent when put up to the light; A two finger soapy egg shell colored head

Smell: Toffee, caramel, brown sugar, dark fruit esters from that classic SS yeast

Taste: The taste doesnt add up to the smell. That funky SS yeast gets in the way of what little caramel, toffee notes there are from the malt. The aftertaste is a little better than the initial taste

Mouthfeel: This is a SS beer so im not surprised at how smooth this is; A little watery but thats expected. Slight bitter finish

Overall: This is the first Samuel Smith's beer that i felt underwhelmed with and found completely overrated. Its like a SS base beer with their classic yeast character and not much else. I had some hope with the smell but it didnt follow through in the taste. Samuel Smiths is probaby my favorite English brewery right now, but i cant really say id recommend this offering. Id stick with American offerings such as DF Indian brown Ale or Smuttynose Old Brown Dog. Will most likely not buy this again

G: Pint Glass

A: Clear brown body boasting 3 fingers of off white frothy head. Decent retention and thick lacing.

S: Sweet malts, biscuits and some hoppiness. Nothing to distinctive, but a nice blend.

T: Biscuity, some caramel, also a substaintial amount of hops to it.

M: Light bodied and medium-low carbonation. Leaves a sticky-bitter finish. Nothning to major, but not off putting.

D: It's a decent beer. I found it to be to thin/watery and the smell/flavours were good, but not great. Nothing special imo.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

Dark-brown color with a hint of amber. Not a whole lot of light shines through this one. The head on this one was thick and I had let it settle down. The lacing after a few deep sips still clung tight at the fill line.

A slightly malty smell. Some other elements I can't describe.

The thing that I notice the most about this beer is the hops. It is really easy to focus in on them but there is a fairly decent balance with the malts. The bitterness on this doesn't come until a few seconds after you swallow. In general the beer goes down smooth and feels good on the tongue. A little more carbonation would be nice though. The nutty quality to this is sort of subtle but there.

I'd drink it again, but probably rather try some other brown ales.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

Medium brown color. Medium white frothy head. Aroma is malty and nutty. A medium bodied brown ale. Malts are nutty and slightly sweet. Hops are evident but mild. This is a fairly typical example of English brown ale. Everything is sort of mild and middle of the road. Not that there's anything wrong with that. A decent very drinkable beer. Milder flavor, smooth taste. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

1/2 liter clear bottle. poured a reddish chestnit brown with a rocky 2 finger cap that laces well. moderate carbonation. Hints of caramel and nuts in the aroma. Nice mix of malts sweet caramel, some roasted tones...hops tamed back (as should be) in this brown...finishes mild ...nothing unique here...this is the secons Sm smith's ale that disappointed in expectation....maybe a standard for the style but there are better domestic browns with better character..no need to go back here at the import price.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

18.7 oz. bottle, brown thankfully,

A: Light brown, with a tan head, a pretty average looking beer, really.

S: Toffee malts, with sour green apples, and English hops.

T: A mix of caramel and toffee, with sour green apples, and hard mineral water.

M: Smooth, dry, minerally, and a bit acidic.

D: A good English Brown, I'd buy again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

Served in the brewery's imperial pint glass at several degrees above fridge temperature.

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear brownish red, almost cognac, with four fingers of beautifully structured soapy bubbles. The head peaks well above the rim of my glass, and compacts to a creamy, hefeweizen-like consistency. Outstanding lacing leaves sheets behind. Excellent.

Smell- A metallic nose rises up immediately... most of which is contained in the head. A Euro-lager nose with its grassiness is foremost at the beginning. As time goes by, the malty, nutty character becomes evident.

Taste- A mildly nutty, malty flavor is present on the tongue... but it's the bitter, sour hop notes that linger for a bit too long. Notes of hazelnut and English hop varietals are the dominant players here, with the Burtonized water lending its hard, mineral edge to the beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Disappointingly mundane, in that the carbonation is too weak to keep the beer exciting. It is consistent, not dying off into nothing... but a boring kind of consistent. For an English Brown, is drinks easily and the low ABV promotes session drinking.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I see this one in the stores a lot so I decided to have a go. Well, I can't say it was the most impressive nut brown I've had. The caramel color and aroma of nut and molasses are rather nice, but the flavor and body seem a tad watered down for the price I've paid. It goes down ok but has an earthy after taste that comes back after an hour that made me want to brush my teeth. I can't say this will be a repeat buy.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Samuel Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful chocolate brown with a two-finger tan-white head. Generous amount of lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Malty as hell. A tad bit of cocoa, and I'm definitely getting a whiskey smell.

Taste: Tastes of biscuity malts, toastyness, with a backbone of a bit of metal and wateryness. Perhaps a bad batch? Wasn't what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: It's an easy drinker; light bodied and highly carbonated. Smooth and slightly creamy.

Overall: Very underwhelming. Perhaps I got a bad bottle, or an old one, as I can't locate a date.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

A - very dark amber appearance with ample head that didn't stick around the whole time.

S - smells very nutty. possibly a walnut or peanut. hard to say.

T - taste is somewhat smooth with a bitter aftertaste.

D - very flavorful beer. follow this one with a porter or a stout.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Dark brown and ruby body with a nice fluffy head that laces pretty well.

Smell is a bit grainy with light hops and a slight nutty aroma.

Taste starts out nice and full. Rich malt mixes with a somewhat walnut and almond front, only to end up a bit astringent, like nuts roasted a bit too long.

from the way it starts, it should be a better brew. Most of the beers I've had from Sam Smith seem to have a strangely astringent finish. I'll give it another go sometime in the future.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Last of the three beers from the gift box I got in a Yankee swap.
Pours a deep reddish brown with a creamy beige head that sticks around forever. Smells of brown bread, a touch of dark fruits, a bit of sulfur, and a hint of honey in there as well. Taste is malty with bread and some light fruits, a little butter with a touch of bitterness or astringency in the finish. I get an almost ashy taste and texture every now and again which seems really weird in this beer. Medium to full body, medium level of carbonation, a creamy mouthfeel. Not a bad brew, but not one of my favorites. It grew on me towards the end of the glass, but given the price and my palette I'll probably pass in the future.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Lively and active beer starts the head flowing immediately after popping the cap. Billowy, soapy tan foam everywhere! The beer itself is a very dark amber/mahogany hue, slightly chill hazed and with lots of visible carbonation coming up from the bottom. THe excellent head retains for a good while, maintaining it's body and activity far into the tasting. Classic English ale looks, deep, dark but not opaque. Quite the beauty. Smell is of sweet hazelnuts, an almost woody malt aroma, some slight fruit notes, like apples and figs with a yeasty, doughy background. Pretty good, but not exactly what I was expecting. SMell doesn't seem firm like a borwn ale should, the malt aromas seem flimsy and has a distinct doughy, raw edge to it. Too much fruit in the nose for my tastes, but overall not a bad aroma; just not quite up my alley. Taste, also, seems a tad flimsy and loose. Definitely has a malt foundation, but it seems undermined by a distinctly crisp apple taste; the antithesis of what I exepct in a brown ale. Maybe because it's English my expectation are misplaced, but too me, this isn't what I want in a brown ale. Not enough rich nutty, bready and creamy flavors. Tastes seem to fall flat, not fleshed out. Finish is a little dry. Mouthfeel, however, is excellent. Smooth and fuller bodied, quite nice on the palette; wish the flavors were better along side the excellent mouthfeel.

Underwhelmed by this highly-praised beer. Not nutty enough for me, or just not in the right vein. A bit of a dud for me. At least the price is right.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

A: A deep molasses brown, small wispy head around the rim.

S: Carmel, malty nuttness, appley

T: Dry finish with a sour middle note. Malty nut prevalence throughout

M: A medium creamy brew with small fizzy bubbles

O: Great beer to drink a few of while staying entertained by it.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours from the bottle into glass with a very clear dark brown color. Nearly no head at all. Aroma is rich, clearly nutty. Taste is a little too sweet for my tastes - but pulled off well. Light carbonation, equally light overall feeling and therefore easy to drink.

Given the previous reviews and my own expectations, I expected a stronger nut flavor that I didn't pick up on. If anything, there was more of a caramel, sweet flavor I wasn't at all expecting.

3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

Reviewed November 4th 2011. 550 mL bottle poured into my JFF is my BFF novelty pint glass.

A: Poured a beautiful 1 and half fingered tan head. It appears that this beauty will lace quite nicely. This holds a nice rusty appearance, brownish-red. After drinking for awhile it turns out this does not lace that nicely, but instead it laces in small patchy areas. The lace simply slides back down.

S: I am picking up some toffee malts. On the pour I smelt the nuttiness, but after it was in the glass it simply seemed as if it vanished. There might be some minor biscuit smells, but they feel so light I'm not really sure.

T: Even though I wasn't able to pick up the nuttiness in the noise I can definitely feel it in the taste. The taste of caramel and it's roasted malts really comes together well. A nice bitterness even lingers on the tongue. Leaving that bitterness I just want to hop right back into this drink.

M: The body feels thin and the carbonation makes this drink have a smooth feel. It leaves me mouth slightly dry, but I have water near by so it's all good. The mouthfeel just feels too oily and slick for my preference.

O: I always feel like Samuel Smith products feel a little thin. Maybe it just feels like this because of the lack of alcohol content. It just doesn't offer the kick that I truly desire. This is far from a bad drink, but why are they holding back on that alcohol content? Hopefully with their other drinks I will not react this same way.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Got this in the Samuel Smith gift pack. It's my first try of the Nut Brown. Pours a heck of lot like the Amber Bock I just dumped down the drain. I have much higher hopes for this one...

A rich deep brown, transparent, with an inch head that settles down in my 22oz pilsner. Some lacing but nothing to call your uncle about. Or even your mom.

Smells: Carmel, malt, hops, kind of a rich roasted scent.

First taste isn't terribly impressive, seems kind of a muted flavor. Better let it warm a bit...

(five minutes pass)

Another taste. Ahh, much nicer. Lots more complex this time around. Malt, hops, a crisp, bitter hearty mouthfeel and a nice malt finish. Something in the taste reminds me of.... sounds weird, but, a Sam Adams Cream Stout. Huh.

Mouthfeel is rich and with a pleasant aftertaste. This beer is more filling than I would have guessed. Not my favorite style at all, but certainly not a bad brew. If you like Newcastle, try this.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Nice clear caramel brown color with a heavy malty aroma and very light loose foam. A taste of malts with a medium to light bitterness. This beer didn't not have the taste or intensity as the aroma. Color and aroma were the highlight's of this brew and the rest was average. Another white bottled beer. Could that be it?

3.29/5  rDev -19.2%

Hmm, the appearance rocks, but I'm not getting much else from this bottles. Perhaps it needs to warm up? Not so much. This ale just doesn't come alive for me. There's a nutty, caramel malt flavor, but its too subtle. It's also a bit on the sweet side in aroma and flavor, almost like sugar was added. I can imagine this might be better by cask, but I was sold a bottle, alas.

3.29/5  rDev -19.2%

Picked this up based on some rave reviews.

Appearance - Awesome. Dark brown, and a bit coppery when held to light.

Smell - As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell this, the smell was very noticable. Slightly skunked and nutty....go figure.

Taste - Nutty with a fruity aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Chewy is a word that comes to mind.

Drinkability - Yes, it goes down easily, but for me personally, I'm just not that into the taste, so I'm not going to drink a lot of this.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance: deep brown/ruby, clear, thick head which remained throughout my quaff
Smell: Sweet malt with strong coffee overtones
Taste: I found the "roasted coffee" aspect of this beer to overwhelm the rest of the picture, substantial bitterness, enough the give a hint of that " ashtray" taste
Mouthfeel: creamy, substantial, if not for the flaws in the taste profile, a great feeling beer
Drinkability: an interesting beer to try, but I'm not going to sit around drinking many of these

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

bottle into an Nonic glass

A: Dark amber color. About a finger head that leaves some lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S: Hops, caramel. a little toffee

T: I wasn't impressed with this as I was with other Samuel Smith beers. Not as nutty as the title suggests and for the amount of hop aroma I was getting when smelling it did not meet. Still it did have a little sweetness to it but not the type I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: For all the carbonation I was seeing when I pour it it was a bit watery.

D: I could drink a couple of these no problem from the lower ABV but from the less interesting qualities I wouldn't

I normally love Samuel Smith but I think I'm going to stick to their darker beers that they excel at.

3.27/5  rDev -19.7%

A: This beer has a nice clear amber/brown color. Not a lot of head retention and very light lace.
S: A nice caramel malt aroma that is nutty and earthy. Not to complex but I enjoy it.
T: Sub par in this category. Malty and nutty, but a big metallic flavor that I don't like.
M/D: A light body and a bit watery. The metallic flavor makes this a bit harsh to drink. For a relatively low alcohol beer, this is not very sessionable.

This follows suit for most brown beers that I have had. A dark color and a light body. I never understood the style, it is a light beer that pretends to be dark. Not that it is really bad, just not for me.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

This is a strange one to figure out. Brown ales are some of my favorites, so, I was expecting better. I chilled this for only two hours, could be the reason for the strange taste.

Pours a dark amber, not the typical brown ale color. It is very clear with ample carbonation and a nice tannish thick head. The lace sticks in places, but not abundantly.

The smell is leafy and minty, kind of grassy too. The taste is nutty with a metallic aftertaste. I will try another when they cool more and possibly update this review. Not as good as other I have sampled from Smith.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a brown(1) colour with a one finger head. Aromas of oats / nuts / muesli. Dry / hoppy / bitter. Light flavours, which should in theory add to the drinkability.

I can't really add to the reviews here, save to say that I found this drier, and a bit more one-dimensional than most of the other reviewers. Too dry, and almost a hollow mid-palate. Bottle well within freshness, as well.

Oh well.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)