Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,410 | Hads: 3,587
3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance : Nice bottle with gold foil top. Poured into a pint glass a nice brown to walnut color. A thick 1" head of fairly large bubbles dissipated quickly to just a small lace. There were small tight bubbles of carbonation present in the upper half of the glass but not many rising from the bottom.

Smells: Nice aromatic beer. Balance of roasted malts and hops with a spicy nutty smell. Very earthy.

Taste: Light smooth beginning with a dry hoppy finish. Small traces of chocolate at the finish. Not as nutty or spicy as the color makes it look. The taste was average but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated to a flat dry finish. Left my mouth dry and craving something to quench my thirst with.

Drinkability: If someone offered me this beer I would not refuse. Its a nice nutty earthy beer but the beautiful color raises your expectations only to dissapoint with an average taste. (903 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Not quite what I expected from a nut brown by Samuel Smith. It has a pleasant ruby brown color with a nice 1.5" tan head. As for the smell, it was hard to tell since I had been using spray paint part of the day. It was not as rich or smooth as I am used to with other brown ales. It did go down quite well though. I think that I will re-visit this beer again soon to see if my senses were just off. (398 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured a brownish orange. Clear all the way through, no cloudiness at all. Good 2-finger head with a moderate pour. Great retention with a fair amount of lacing as I drink.

Smelled sweet like brown sugar and bread, almost like coffee cake. Some nut scent maybe pulling through.

Taste was smooth and creamy, with a slight caramel taste. A little too watery and flat for my liking. I was expecting a bit of a more robust brew. Low carbonation. All of these factors made this a highly quaffable brew, but I'd rather not. I like a bit more bite to my ales. I'm gonna pass. (571 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

WIFE bought me the bomber for my birthday....

A I'd have to call this a deep ruby Red. Nice looking brew indeed. impressively thick 2 finger head that settles with light lacing. lots of clarity

S: faily bland to the nose...a bit malty is all.

T: not bad - sweet / leaves a bit (just a bit) of a hoppy follow-up. too sweet for my taste but not horrible

M: faily heavy carbonation, a bit of alcohol bite, lots of depth here

D: this one is a mixed bag. I dont really like it but appreciate its complex qualitries. (515 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Musty swet roast malt smell. Dark red color with an airy brown head. Light malt notes on the front of the tongue followed by a slightly bitter sweetness on the back of the tongue. There is a clean finish to the brew but not a ton of complexity to the taste. The mouth is also needs some body. This brew did not impress me very much. I expected more layers of nutty flavor. I would very much like to try this on tap and compare. (434 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

I have to agree with some of the reviews I've seen here. I tried this one after hearing that it was so amazing, and while it's not bad, I really wasn't terribly impressed. The name says it all: Nut Brown Ale. Visually, it's a bit dull- brown body with a tan head. Smell was actually quite nutty... Should this be a shocker? I'm not really sure. The mouthfeel was thin, although it could simply be my preference for a thicker beer that lead my to this conclusion. The taste was not bad at all, but nothing remarkable. Really, there is nothing wrong with this drink, but there is nothing amazing about it either. (610 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle poured into 16oz. tumbler.

A: Dark reddish-brown, auburn color. No head or lacing.

S: Molasses, maybe maple. Earthy aromas.

T: Soy taste overpowers most other flavors. Sweet malt, not too bitter with hop.

M: Too carbonated for my taste.

D: It's ok to have one, I wouldn't reach for a second. Too strong on the soy flavor; kind of kills it. (352 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a deep ruby; semi-transparent with a thick, clingy tan one-finger head.

Smells of caramel, molasses, butter, nuts.

Bleh! A fair bit of oxidation has set in. Trying to get pas that, there is a nice nutty flavor that is offset by a very appropriate amount of malting.

Normally I could drink this all night, but not this particular beer. This one was not up to snuff. I know it is better than this, and I hope to review a fresher one soon. I wouldn't submit this review at all, but Samuel Smith and his crew need to be taken to task for their bottle coloring. This happens way to often. I was also recently burned by a heavily oxidized 4pack of the Winter Welcome. Shape up boys, or people will start thinking your beer actually does taste like dollar bills. (770 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

After reading the reviews and seeing this beer on the shelf every time I go to the liquor store, I thought I would give it a try. After trying it, I don't see what the big deal is. Smell, taste, and mouthfeel are all pretty average. Nothing really jumps out in the nose or the taste. The mouthfeel is pretty thin too.

Overall, I'm not terribly impressed. It's not a bad beer but it's not great either. Just average, I guess. I don't think I'll buy this again. (460 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a Sam Smith pint glass (but of course!)

A: Pours a beautifully clear dark amber color, with a foamy two-finger light mocha colored head with mediocre retention and decent lacing.

S: Some caramel, toffee, and a bit of nuttiness. Plain and simple, I like the way it smells.

T: Truth be told, I'm not always a fan of the malt profile in most amber/brown ales, and this is no exception. Very biscuity flavor to me, and almost reminiscent of sourdough bread. Still, there is a touch of nuttiness on the back end which I like, and of course, the mineral-y hard water taste typical of Sam Smith beers.

M: Light carbonation, and honestly, it feels a bit flat and watery in the mouth. Could use a little less dryness in the finish. It reminds me of an Irish Stout in the mouth, which means A) I'm not blown away by its feel, and B) it would be a lot better on tap.

O: Not a big fan of this, to be frank, though I don't hate it at all. Probably my least favorite Samuel Smith beer to date, and not something I'd willingly go for in the future, unless I caught it on draft. (1,079 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Looks decent enough. Still a little thin, but I can't say I've ever had a traditional brown ale I didn't think that about.

Aroma, faint biscuit nut toffee thing going, and that resonates on the taste buds as well. Don't come here looking for hops or bitterness. Mouthfeel maintains, doesn't grow or subside, a little pricey and bland on the drinkability scale. (361 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance - The color is very pretty although I have discounted points due to the look of the head. The carbonation is thin and doesn't sit on the beer very long.

Taste - The taste to me is neither exciting or bad. It's hard to explain but I would say that it tastes like a good beer that has been watered down.

Mouthfeel - To second my opinion on taste it kind of feels thin.

Drinkability - The best part about this beer is that it's easy to drink. Smooth and light.

I don't really love anything about the beer in particular. However, the fact that it doesn't taste bad in anyway and it's easy to drink I'd put this beer right in the middle of the pack. On a side note I feel that the bottle implies a heavy, thick, high alcohol % beer. The fact that it's not also negativity affects my overall opinion. (813 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 18.7 oz. bottle. Has a pretty dark brown color with ruby hues and a 1 inch head. Smell is very mild, I am not able to detect much of anything. Taste is also rather mild, some nuttiness, a bit of hops, a touch of caramel. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a decent brew. (331 characters)

A: Darker amber brown, 1 finger head, light lacing

S: Toffee with malty notes

T: Toffee with dry bitterness, some earthy and nutty flavors present

M: Fairly smooth with some residual feeling

D: Typical style brown ale, pretty drinkable

Not a huge fan of english browns, but I am trying to keep it from skewing my review. Overall from what I have had so far this one is very middle of the road. (410 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance: Dark honey brown. Perfectly clear. Head is a very light tan/dirty off-white. Head is creamy, and drops to a small cap and smooth collar.

Smell: British water and yeast. Vaguely toasted and nutty. Some underlying hints of cocoa and caramel malt sweetness. Minerals and some earth. Distinctly Sam Smith. Some grassy notes. Breast maltiness. Some roasted notes as well.

Taste: Straight up English. Layers of grass, rocks, and slightly toasted malts. Minor chocolate, caramel malt sweetness, and cracker. Bready. Slightly roasted. So much grassy rock flavor. British water and yeast character ramps up as the best warms. Sweet and mellow. Vague nuttiness rolling throughout.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate to light carbonation. Clean.

Overall: GE 100.

English, but not insane. Sam Smith's was one of my introductions to craft beer. Start here and you can't really go wrong. (898 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -23.6%

I always feel like I'm missing the point on these English beers. There are certain flavors and elements in so many English beers I just find offensive. Thankfully this one avoids that and yields a mellow and enjoyable beer.

Pours a bright reddish color, brown it is now. There's a nice tall 2 finger head, it doesn't hold which surprises me given the deep and creamy appearance. Pour lacing is also a surprise.

The beer smells and tastes about the same. Sweet malt with just the most subtle hints of roast, ignored and missed unless one looks for it. The finish tries to bring in some hops, no bitterness really comes through but it adds a certain spice to the mix.

Really drinkable and easy to enjoy almost anytime at 5% abv.

I really want more "nut" like elements here. This beer is extremely one dimensional, even for the style. I suspect a fresher bottle would bring in some more complexity and and give some more balance to the malt. Sadly I can't really seek out fresher versions of this living in the states. (1,022 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

A - Red brown, able to see through center of glass. Tall off-white head leaving a lot of lacing behind.

S - Sweet malts and maybe a bit of caramel

T - Dry malty flavor. Quite mild with little after-taste.

M - Mild coating and only a bit of tingle on the sides of the tongue.

D - Easily drinkable, but not even clost to a early choice. Many better options avqailable. (370 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

A good beer with food, its astringency or is it bitterness works to add to roast beef and patatoes meal. Haven't done a sample but I bet UK reviewers rank this higher. Canadians can try a couple of more balanced lighter versions of this type such as Wellington's. Brown colour looks like matter is there and suds on top look like dish soap. Also strong carbonation begs for food relief. (386 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a (yikes!) clear bottle into a glass... beer left little to no head with some agitation.

Aroma? Mostly yeast, caramel, and maybe just a faint hop background. Also, I think I detect some diacytel.

The taste was a combination of salt, yeast, and a chocolate nuttiness. Very little hop bitterness or aroma in this one.

My favorite thing about this one was the mouthfeel. Very silky, and medium to full-bodied.

Overall, more drinkable than a Newcastle, but nothing I'd seek out in a bar. (508 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Many UK beers have a similar quality I don't care for at all; Not my experience from drinking in pubs over there, so maybe they just don't ship well. But this quality I'm speaking of is a vegetable-like aftertaste, like maybe pureed broccoli that's been fermented. I drank this together with the German Aventinus, which was sublime -- The Samuel Smith was not sublime. Just another premium English beer that I don't enjoy. Don't believe the hype.

A friend who drank Guinness in Irish pubs said it was wonderful there, and nothing like the Guinness shipped to the US, so I have some backing on my thesis here. (609 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearence: In the glass its a simple brown color, with a thin beige head. Loads of yeast evident at the bottom.

Smell: In the nose this beer is a very strong caramel and nutty smell, almost like a scotch of sorts.

Taste and Mouthfeel: In the mouth, this beer is one potent bastard. It taste really strong, and feels like its much more than 5% alcohol. The nutty taste is only evident in the end, and by then it's kinda bland. The mouthfeel is thin but a little chewy.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a kind of regular. No huge tastes that are good. Bland. I don't know, but I don't really enjoy it. Try Sam Smith's Oatmela Stout instead. (649 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear dark ruby-brown color with a 2 finger, dark cream colored head. The head settles to 1/2 inch and sticks around the whole time leaving a moderate amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Strong to the point of seeming artificial aroma of sweet caramel sprinkled with walnuts. Too strong and cloying for my taste.

Taste: Subtle (at least compared to the smell) caramel malts and nuts with just a touch of bitterness and a nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium body with moderate carbonation. Very nice.

Drinkability: Hindered by the overpowering aroma. I didn’t want to stick my nose way down into the glass to drink the last quarter.

Notes: Right now this isn’t something I want to drink all the time, but I definitely want to try it again when I’m a more experienced BA. (815 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Nice looking beer. Good color strong thick head. Poured cloudy into the glass then cleared up a bit. Heavy nut and malt aroma, strong nutty first sip their were slight hints of caramel light bitterness. It finished strong a little to strong for me, It was almost wine like a little sour even. not my idea of a good brown.

I got a clear bottle and It wasn't skunked!! (372 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Bottle: very solid 550mL embossed brown bottle. A very old-school label - quite a nice package.

Appearance: a clear dark brown with a reasonable two-finger off-white head. Decent retention and lacing.

Aroma: roasted nut malts with some sweet toffee malts to counter-balance.

Taste: certainly a strong nut flavour, which well-and-truly dominates. Some metallic flavours too, which creates an unpleasant off bitterness.

Aftertaste: similar flavours hold on for quite a while.

Mouthfeel: a medium yet smooth body, with limited carbonation.

Overall: a nicely put together ale, but the overpowering nut and metallic flavours are unpleasant - at least to me. (658 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Dark brown color, red edges. A beautiful white foam, a bit scarce.
Light smell, malty notes, something of a toasted nut, and a bit of hop in the back.
Malty in the mouth, with a more definite hazelnut taste. Crystal, caramel.
Not totally convincing, it seems a bit sweet and heavy. (281 characters)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)