Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,428 | Hads: 3,670
3.31/5  rDev -18.7%

Reviewed November 4th 2011. 550 mL bottle poured into my JFF is my BFF novelty pint glass.

A: Poured a beautiful 1 and half fingered tan head. It appears that this beauty will lace quite nicely. This holds a nice rusty appearance, brownish-red. After drinking for awhile it turns out this does not lace that nicely, but instead it laces in small patchy areas. The lace simply slides back down.

S: I am picking up some toffee malts. On the pour I smelt the nuttiness, but after it was in the glass it simply seemed as if it vanished. There might be some minor biscuit smells, but they feel so light I'm not really sure.

T: Even though I wasn't able to pick up the nuttiness in the noise I can definitely feel it in the taste. The taste of caramel and it's roasted malts really comes together well. A nice bitterness even lingers on the tongue. Leaving that bitterness I just want to hop right back into this drink.

M: The body feels thin and the carbonation makes this drink have a smooth feel. It leaves me mouth slightly dry, but I have water near by so it's all good. The mouthfeel just feels too oily and slick for my preference.

O: I always feel like Samuel Smith products feel a little thin. Maybe it just feels like this because of the lack of alcohol content. It just doesn't offer the kick that I truly desire. This is far from a bad drink, but why are they holding back on that alcohol content? Hopefully with their other drinks I will not react this same way.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Got this in the Samuel Smith gift pack. It's my first try of the Nut Brown. Pours a heck of lot like the Amber Bock I just dumped down the drain. I have much higher hopes for this one...

A rich deep brown, transparent, with an inch head that settles down in my 22oz pilsner. Some lacing but nothing to call your uncle about. Or even your mom.

Smells: Carmel, malt, hops, kind of a rich roasted scent.

First taste isn't terribly impressive, seems kind of a muted flavor. Better let it warm a bit...

(five minutes pass)

Another taste. Ahh, much nicer. Lots more complex this time around. Malt, hops, a crisp, bitter hearty mouthfeel and a nice malt finish. Something in the taste reminds me of.... sounds weird, but, a Sam Adams Cream Stout. Huh.

Mouthfeel is rich and with a pleasant aftertaste. This beer is more filling than I would have guessed. Not my favorite style at all, but certainly not a bad brew. If you like Newcastle, try this.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Nice clear caramel brown color with a heavy malty aroma and very light loose foam. A taste of malts with a medium to light bitterness. This beer didn't not have the taste or intensity as the aroma. Color and aroma were the highlight's of this brew and the rest was average. Another white bottled beer. Could that be it?

3.29/5  rDev -19.2%

Hmm, the appearance rocks, but I'm not getting much else from this bottles. Perhaps it needs to warm up? Not so much. This ale just doesn't come alive for me. There's a nutty, caramel malt flavor, but its too subtle. It's also a bit on the sweet side in aroma and flavor, almost like sugar was added. I can imagine this might be better by cask, but I was sold a bottle, alas.

3.29/5  rDev -19.2%

Picked this up based on some rave reviews.

Appearance - Awesome. Dark brown, and a bit coppery when held to light.

Smell - As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell this, the smell was very noticable. Slightly skunked and nutty....go figure.

Taste - Nutty with a fruity aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Chewy is a word that comes to mind.

Drinkability - Yes, it goes down easily, but for me personally, I'm just not that into the taste, so I'm not going to drink a lot of this.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

Appearance: deep brown/ruby, clear, thick head which remained throughout my quaff
Smell: Sweet malt with strong coffee overtones
Taste: I found the "roasted coffee" aspect of this beer to overwhelm the rest of the picture, substantial bitterness, enough the give a hint of that " ashtray" taste
Mouthfeel: creamy, substantial, if not for the flaws in the taste profile, a great feeling beer
Drinkability: an interesting beer to try, but I'm not going to sit around drinking many of these

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

bottle into an Nonic glass

A: Dark amber color. About a finger head that leaves some lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles.

S: Hops, caramel. a little toffee

T: I wasn't impressed with this as I was with other Samuel Smith beers. Not as nutty as the title suggests and for the amount of hop aroma I was getting when smelling it did not meet. Still it did have a little sweetness to it but not the type I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: For all the carbonation I was seeing when I pour it it was a bit watery.

D: I could drink a couple of these no problem from the lower ABV but from the less interesting qualities I wouldn't

I normally love Samuel Smith but I think I'm going to stick to their darker beers that they excel at.

3.27/5  rDev -19.7%

A: This beer has a nice clear amber/brown color. Not a lot of head retention and very light lace.
S: A nice caramel malt aroma that is nutty and earthy. Not to complex but I enjoy it.
T: Sub par in this category. Malty and nutty, but a big metallic flavor that I don't like.
M/D: A light body and a bit watery. The metallic flavor makes this a bit harsh to drink. For a relatively low alcohol beer, this is not very sessionable.

This follows suit for most brown beers that I have had. A dark color and a light body. I never understood the style, it is a light beer that pretends to be dark. Not that it is really bad, just not for me.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

This is a strange one to figure out. Brown ales are some of my favorites, so, I was expecting better. I chilled this for only two hours, could be the reason for the strange taste.

Pours a dark amber, not the typical brown ale color. It is very clear with ample carbonation and a nice tannish thick head. The lace sticks in places, but not abundantly.

The smell is leafy and minty, kind of grassy too. The taste is nutty with a metallic aftertaste. I will try another when they cool more and possibly update this review. Not as good as other I have sampled from Smith.

3.26/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a brown(1) colour with a one finger head. Aromas of oats / nuts / muesli. Dry / hoppy / bitter. Light flavours, which should in theory add to the drinkability.

I can't really add to the reviews here, save to say that I found this drier, and a bit more one-dimensional than most of the other reviewers. Too dry, and almost a hollow mid-palate. Bottle well within freshness, as well.

Oh well.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

550ml brown glass bottle with foiled-over pressure cap acquired as part of a $9.99 3 bottle/1 glass gift box at a local Trader Joe's and served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high given its current glowing reviews and my opinion of the brewery.

Served after a warming period following its removal from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Presentation: The label is alright. The foil is a nice touch. I'm glad it's brown glass and not green or clear. The Michael Jackson quote on the back label is a nice touch: "Samuel Smith's of Tadcaster has the richest, maltiest and nuttiest of brown ales." Though I do have to complain: no oxford comma, Michael Jackson?

A: Pours a three finger khaki colour head of great cream, good thickness, notable frothiness, and great retention - though the modest ABV diminishes the impressiveness of that achievement. Decent lacing. Body colour is NOT brown, but actually a translucent chestnut-amber. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Caramel, a nice blend of biscuit, dark, and caramel malts, cherry fruit, nuts (though far less than anticipated - especially considering the style), butterscotch, fig newton, and toffee. A delightful very British aroma (as strange and vague as that sounds). Assertive and true to character. Amber malts. Minimal floral hopping. A fairly strong aroma.

T/Mf: Cherry comes through quite a bit, actually, complemented by surprisingly overt bright fruity hop esters. Hm. Caramel and toffee, sure. Cream, buttery qualities. A butterscotch kiss on the climax. The fruitiness and bold hop presence are actually a bit off-putting, especially as it warms. Sugarcane. The foundation lacks the maltiness I'd expect of a good brown ale. And where are the nuts? Their absence is unforgivable given the style. Too sweet, especially on the finish - an attribute worsened by the smooth and wet texture. Smooth and wet - in a brown ale? And on the finish, no less? This should be coarse, dry, and malty as hell - with some cream to take the edge off. This is not that. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Good carbonation and thickness. Fruit syrup does come through, or perhaps just artificial fig extract a la fig newtons; though this is not the dark fig you'd get in a good quad, it is bright, thin, and out of place. I'm disappointed in both the build and balance, though I must admit I do enjoy it all around. It's just a failure as a Brown Ale is all. Hopping feels as English as can be.

Dr: The lack of nuts and strangely fruit-forward build make this a failure of a Brown Ale, but I still like drinking it. I wouldn't get it again, though. It seems anything but traditional. a good buy at Trader Joe's. Brown Ale fans steer clear, but this is worth a go and is quite drinkable if you simply enjoy beer. It's tough to come up with a letter grade on this one because it's not at all to style, but I do like it for what it is outside of conventions.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Crystal clear mahogany red body with a rich, soft, creamy off-white head. Sweet, robust, nutty malt aroma; almost like maple syrup. Light malt taste, not too sweet, with a rather strong, off-putting bitterness at the end; stale. Light bodied; somewhat watery.

A disappointing beer; makes me think I got an old bottle (no date listed on the label) since I get very little brown ale malt sweetness in the taste. Looks and aroma promised good things, but the taste didn't live up to the anticipation. I have had better bottles of this beer in the past; unfortunately, this is the one I happened to review. And so it goes with drinking imported beer without any bottling information...

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle - Poured a clear brown colored beer with a medium head that has very little retention. Smells of hops is clearly present with a very subtle touch of nut sweetness. Taste is very ''creamy'' with again a sweet touch of hazelnut. Medium body with standard carbonation. Overall, this is a good beer but I would have enjoyed it more if the hazelnut taste had been more accentuated.

Part of the Holiday gift box, purchased from Martignetti's

Appearance = Deep,dark brown with minimal head and decent lacing.

Smell = Sweet, malty grains and not much else. Fairly average smell for this style.

Taste = Nothing really unique about this. Just reminds me of a typical brown ale. There's a bit more alcohol present in the taste which provides a little more complexity but other than that it's nothing special

Overall = This is above average but nothing really to talk about. Reminds me of many other brown ales and doesn't have enough to push it above the pack.

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: This beer has a nice red brown color and a modest light brown head that fades fairly quickly. Scattered thin lacing adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: Lots of toasted malt, rustic brown bread notes, and a faint nut character, like roasted pecans.

Taste: Opens with lots of roasted and mildly nutty malts, like toasted pecans. AS the taste progresses, moderate bitter cocoa notes appear. Finishes with a mild, lingering earthy note.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: A very pleasant and drinkable example.

Presentation: Packaged in a Victorian-era style custom bottle with a pry-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

I don't know if it's the slate squares or what but this has the same oatmeal sweetness of the oatmeal stout. The start is a bit bitter and nutty and the middle comes the sweetness and a bit of an odd sugar cookie bit.... I must say that I like these Sammy Smith's brews but they really kinda mesh together a bit too much... all tasting a bit too much like each other... not as distinctive as I'd prefer given the price tag. The appearance is top notch as a hazy orange/brown with a 1" well-retaining head. It's an easy drinker and I could easily pound a few if not for the $.
Good.... but that's it.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

I had this beer as part of a beer appreciation program at Cloverleaf Tavern in New Jersey.

I poured the beer into a weizen glass. It had a one finger head. The color was a light brown (shocking, a brown beer with that color). The head held until the first drink. It left some pretty lacing on the glass.

The aroma was of english hops, but not much more. I was looking for some nuttiness, but I couldn't find it.

The drinkability was nice and clean. There wasn't much challenge in the taste of this beer. It wasn't a bad flavor, but it wasn't exceptional. The taste is average. The beer has a very nice history, but they had plenty of time to improve on the flavor (but didn't). They brag about the process on the label, but not the flavor as much. I tried to identify a nut flavor from the taste, and then I tried to figure which nut it was. The label didn't even say which nut. I like some nut flavor, but I wish they could have picked a nut.

Side note: what is up with the foil? I know that used to be a sign of quality. Now the flavor alone determines the quality. The foil is only good for getting in your beer. It is just a pain in the drinking process.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance : Nice bottle with gold foil top. Poured into a pint glass a nice brown to walnut color. A thick 1" head of fairly large bubbles dissipated quickly to just a small lace. There were small tight bubbles of carbonation present in the upper half of the glass but not many rising from the bottom.

Smells: Nice aromatic beer. Balance of roasted malts and hops with a spicy nutty smell. Very earthy.

Taste: Light smooth beginning with a dry hoppy finish. Small traces of chocolate at the finish. Not as nutty or spicy as the color makes it look. The taste was average but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated to a flat dry finish. Left my mouth dry and craving something to quench my thirst with.

Drinkability: If someone offered me this beer I would not refuse. Its a nice nutty earthy beer but the beautiful color raises your expectations only to dissapoint with an average taste.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Not quite what I expected from a nut brown by Samuel Smith. It has a pleasant ruby brown color with a nice 1.5" tan head. As for the smell, it was hard to tell since I had been using spray paint part of the day. It was not as rich or smooth as I am used to with other brown ales. It did go down quite well though. I think that I will re-visit this beer again soon to see if my senses were just off.

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured a brownish orange. Clear all the way through, no cloudiness at all. Good 2-finger head with a moderate pour. Great retention with a fair amount of lacing as I drink.

Smelled sweet like brown sugar and bread, almost like coffee cake. Some nut scent maybe pulling through.

Taste was smooth and creamy, with a slight caramel taste. A little too watery and flat for my liking. I was expecting a bit of a more robust brew. Low carbonation. All of these factors made this a highly quaffable brew, but I'd rather not. I like a bit more bite to my ales. I'm gonna pass.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

WIFE bought me the bomber for my birthday....

A I'd have to call this a deep ruby Red. Nice looking brew indeed. impressively thick 2 finger head that settles with light lacing. lots of clarity

S: faily bland to the nose...a bit malty is all.

T: not bad - sweet / leaves a bit (just a bit) of a hoppy follow-up. too sweet for my taste but not horrible

M: faily heavy carbonation, a bit of alcohol bite, lots of depth here

D: this one is a mixed bag. I dont really like it but appreciate its complex qualitries.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Musty swet roast malt smell. Dark red color with an airy brown head. Light malt notes on the front of the tongue followed by a slightly bitter sweetness on the back of the tongue. There is a clean finish to the brew but not a ton of complexity to the taste. The mouth is also needs some body. This brew did not impress me very much. I expected more layers of nutty flavor. I would very much like to try this on tap and compare.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

I have to agree with some of the reviews I've seen here. I tried this one after hearing that it was so amazing, and while it's not bad, I really wasn't terribly impressed. The name says it all: Nut Brown Ale. Visually, it's a bit dull- brown body with a tan head. Smell was actually quite nutty... Should this be a shocker? I'm not really sure. The mouthfeel was thin, although it could simply be my preference for a thicker beer that lead my to this conclusion. The taste was not bad at all, but nothing remarkable. Really, there is nothing wrong with this drink, but there is nothing amazing about it either.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle poured into 16oz. tumbler.

A: Dark reddish-brown, auburn color. No head or lacing.

S: Molasses, maybe maple. Earthy aromas.

T: Soy taste overpowers most other flavors. Sweet malt, not too bitter with hop.

M: Too carbonated for my taste.

D: It's ok to have one, I wouldn't reach for a second. Too strong on the soy flavor; kind of kills it.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a deep ruby; semi-transparent with a thick, clingy tan one-finger head.

Smells of caramel, molasses, butter, nuts.

Bleh! A fair bit of oxidation has set in. Trying to get pas that, there is a nice nutty flavor that is offset by a very appropriate amount of malting.

Normally I could drink this all night, but not this particular beer. This one was not up to snuff. I know it is better than this, and I hope to review a fresher one soon. I wouldn't submit this review at all, but Samuel Smith and his crew need to be taken to task for their bottle coloring. This happens way to often. I was also recently burned by a heavily oxidized 4pack of the Winter Welcome. Shape up boys, or people will start thinking your beer actually does taste like dollar bills.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)