Join our email list →

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

English Brown Ale | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,434 | Hads: 3,708
4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Gives a hell of a first impression with regards to appearance and aroma.

Frothy 2 finger pillow sits atop this copper/auburn English Brown Ale. There's a sweetness that dominates the nose. At first it was difficult to pin down, but as it warms, caramel apple and molasses prevail.

Light-to-thin body. Sweetness in the middle quickly gives way to more earthy spice (mainly pepper). The longer it warms, the more complex the finish becomes (chocolate, coffee). Forgot this was sweet ten minutes ago.

It's dryness at the end makes it difficult to stop replenishing. Dry, refresh. Dry, refresh. Pretty sneaky sis!

Man, this beer gets better and better as it warms. It's a must try for all. Considering the price, drinkability, and accessibility of this brown ale, you have no excuse!

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

The classic by which all other Brown Ales are judged, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is a specialty of the North of England. English Brown Ale is one of the oldest brewing styles, it got it's start in the late 1600's, and was then known as a "Mild Ale." This just meant that it was much less hoppy and bitter than the more popular Pale Ale of the time, and was also a bit younger. Since then, the style has evolved into an incredibly friendly beer for the masses, and while they may have called it "mild" back then, there is definitely no lack of flavor or complexity today.

Nut Brown pours a rich walnut-like color with a thick head that quickly dissipates, releasing aromas of roasted malt, nuts, and wet wood. The flavor follows close to the smell, becoming a bit fruitier, spicier, and caramely-sweet as it warms up. There is a nice underlying creaminess that balances well with the brown bread and aromatic hop characteristics that develop on the palate. The finish is dry, lasting, and nutty, leaving a pleasant hazelnut aftertaste. This beer goes down incredibly smooth, and the robust body represents the style well. There is enough heft here to please even the most serious ale lover, but sweet and drinkable enough to appeal to anybody. Simply delicious and begging for food.

My first food suggestion is to try Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale with a true Camembert from Normandy, France. Make sure that it is nice and ripe too, or the flavor will be too mild, and missing the great earthy quality that will compliment the beer so well. Between the breadiness in the beer and the creaminess of the cheese, the combination of Nut Brown and Camembert is a liquid grilled cheese experience! Various meats will balance harmoniously with Nut Brown, especially if they have some caramelization or sear on the outside. Roasted duck, Steak au Poivre, or even seared salmon are all great pairings.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark copper color with a delicious frosty 2 inch head. The aroma is delightful with hints of nuts and crispy fresh fruits. The first sip is amazing. The second sip is even more amazing. This is the best dark brown ale I've ever had. Sight caramel and nuts with small bit of cider. It's so delicious I want another glass asap. This beer is freakin' great. I would drink this until I die. I'm going to drink this in the afterlife. I love you, Sam Smith.

4.54/5  rDev +11.5%

12 oz Bottle with a standard pint glass

A: Pours a walnut brown with a light red copper tint and and creamy white head. Very think head, that lasts until the last drop.

S: Toasted malt, with slight hints of butterscotch and hay.

T: restrained brisk bitterness with a nutty caramel and fruity.

M: Medium carbonation and body

O: One the greats that I have tried so far, nothing bad to report just overall a great among nut browns

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours from the bottle into glass with a very clear dark brown color. Nearly no head at all. Aroma is rich, clearly nutty. Taste is a little too sweet for my tastes - but pulled off well. Light carbonation, equally light overall feeling and therefore easy to drink.

Given the previous reviews and my own expectations, I expected a stronger nut flavor that I didn't pick up on. If anything, there was more of a caramel, sweet flavor I wasn't at all expecting.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours with a thicker, fluffy head with staying power. This is an exceptional nut brown with the perfect balance of sweet scotch caramel and smooth dark malt. Will always come back to this one as a standard. Amazing Nut Brown!

3.46/5  rDev -15%

This is my first reveiw of a beer. All and All I have to say it tastes much like most brown ales. The flavor is smooth and it is drinkable, but so are all brown ales. I gave it an average rateing because nothing deffertiates this beer from the others I've tried ( although until recently my experience has been whofully limited). I can honestly I don't yet understand all the terms that most of you use, but it looks a dark brown amber in the glass. It smells like it tastes. Its bitter when it first touches the tongue, and then becomes smother the longer it's held there. As for drinkability I would choose this before some but after some. Please bare with my reveiws, as I am new to this.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

The beer is pretty much like it sounds, Nut Brown Ale.
It has a good smell, NUT would be the best way to describe it.
I liked the taste, it has you coming back for another sip, which I look for in a beer.. But I don't know if it's what it's cracked up to be.. It also seems to thin out more as it warms.
The mouthfeel is good, though not close to as thick as I thought or would like it to be.
This beer's easily drinkable, but it doesn't have you crawling back to the fridge for more as others do.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this beer tonight. Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance = nice reddish brown color with a good thick foamy head.

Smell = it had a strong, but not overpowering malty aroma. I did not notice a nutty aroma as many report; but then again, my allergies have been bad.

Taste = great tasting and very drinkable. Left a rich, malty, almost sweet taste on my mouth.

Mouthfeel = medium body.

Drinkability = very drinkable and refreshing on a cool spring night.

This is a very good imported English brown ale. I will definitely drink it again. I would love to try it on tap.

a - brownish amber with a great tan head which reduces to some great lacing which has lasted for 20 min.

s - a carmel aroma with hints of lemon

t - carmel with a coffee/nutty aftertaste

m - coats the mouth but is not oily. deep flavors linger for a long time after drinking.

d - great beer, for the style this is one of the bests I have had after Bear Republic Tribute Brown.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Nut brown, almost a dark honey color, can see the carbonation
Smell - mild and crisp, like a pear or an apple
Taste - Fairly bitter with a nice almond or cashew after taste
Feel - Very light, good amount of bite from the carbonation, but nice

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance : Nice bottle with gold foil top. Poured into a pint glass a nice brown to walnut color. A thick 1" head of fairly large bubbles dissipated quickly to just a small lace. There were small tight bubbles of carbonation present in the upper half of the glass but not many rising from the bottom.

Smells: Nice aromatic beer. Balance of roasted malts and hops with a spicy nutty smell. Very earthy.

Taste: Light smooth beginning with a dry hoppy finish. Small traces of chocolate at the finish. Not as nutty or spicy as the color makes it look. The taste was average but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated to a flat dry finish. Left my mouth dry and craving something to quench my thirst with.

Drinkability: If someone offered me this beer I would not refuse. Its a nice nutty earthy beer but the beautiful color raises your expectations only to dissapoint with an average taste.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Purchased at the local liquor store and poured into a British pint glass. Amazing head that lingered for quite some time. The aroma is slightly sweet with a balaced hop smell. The taste is exceptional with a bit more bitterness than I expected but that did not detract from the overall taste. It has a distinct spicy finish that lingers on the palette.

Overall I would rate this beer as a great session beer, one that I would definately drink again but again one that I could not drink all the time lest I get spoiled on the taste.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

this is a great beer, bought it at a local bottle shop, very impressed.

it has a beautiful brown with a red tint. a light brown, tannish head, with a lot of lacing, and little finger trails.

the smell is malty, caramel, and nutty.

the taste, as the name suggests, is very nutty. it has a slight tea taste, maybe some caramel.

very light, barely noticeable carbonation, smooth, goes down easy, little taste on the back. very drinkable, this would be a wonderful beer to enjoy with some friends on a slow, talkative night. love it!

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A. pours a medium brown with a frothy 2 finger head. great lacing that sticks to the glass well.

B. I smell roasted malts and some of nuts. smell is pleasing but not there enough.

T. I definitly taste roasted malts, nutty bread, and grains. this beer tastes better as it warms up.

M. light carbonation. alittle watery. to light for my liking.

O. I found this beer was good. it didn't blow me away but it was good. the taste certainly got better as it warmed. it felt a little to light though. still a good buy.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice caramel brown color. pours well and has a very nice creamy head. The smell is very inviting, fresh, malty and made me anticipate the tasting. The very first thing I thought while tasting this Nut Brown Ale was pupmperknickel rye bread, which I love. Samuel Smith's is very smooth for a Brown Ale, very drinkable and delightful. In short, I love this Ale. Cheers Mates!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

I can't believe I've never had this stuff.

Pours a deep amber with a nice retaining head.

Smells sweet and malty and why not, nutty.

I'm very impressed with how this beer is put together. It's malty and sweet but not too sweet. It's smooth as silk and finishes with a pleasant nuttiness. I can't detect a bit of hops.

I could drink this all night and into tomorrow morning. I also think this would be a great introduction beer for those getting away from the macro stuff.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

brown in nature, brown in color. small head on my pour, cream color. smells sweet, and malty. tastes like caramel, and maybe chocolate. nothing here tastes nutty to me. Carbonic mouthfeel, light on the tongue but more on the back upper roof of the mouth, almost the throat. Drinkable, as a sipper, on a snowy night, and luckily this is one. Selected for such an occasion, and pleased with the choice/setting. will investigate other smuel smith beers... jury's still out here.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Dark tan in colour, with a creamy head; deliciously malty aroma with clear nutty elements; smooth in texture, bitter, nutty (I am thinking hazelnuts); complexities include butter, vanilla-caramel; bitter after taste but clean without leaving too much trauma

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

A. Pours a nice dark brown. Nice head, light tan. Nice lacing.
S. Nice breads smell. Nothing strong.
T. Fantastic. A well crafted brown ale. Malty, slightly nutty and bready.
M. Perfect carbonation. Extremely enjoyable.
O. Dynamite. It's the definition of the style for a reason.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer is a nice chestnut brown with a slightly reddish
tinge. However, it's still light enough that objects on the other side
of the glass can be seen. The head is a bit small but has a sandy tan color that complements the beer's color well.

Initially, it's got a slightly acrid smell that reminds me of
vinegar. It's got a subtly sour taste that matches the prickly
carbonation well, though the body is a bit thin. I'm afraid that I
might have chilled this too much, because overall the taste was a bit thin as well.

This beer is well balanced but not that exciting. Samuel
Smith's makes some great beers but this one is merely good.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a nonic pintglass.

Pours a clear copper caramel color with a two finger pale frothy head. Lacing is very prominent along the edges of the glass.

Smells strongly of caramel and fruits, bits of roasted nuts and malts.

Hints of buttered pecans and toffees with very subtle hoppy notes. With a mouthful you get the tastes of brown sugars, the viscosity very thick for how thin it appears within the glass.

I could drink these all night long with no qualms, the phenomenal taste makes it feel like you're drinking a glass of cinammon shortbread. This is one of the best brown beers I have had, and others should strive to achieve the notoriety that this one has!

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

I tried this and it was a good beer. I'm not going to go super in depth but just give an overview.

A: Good appearance, dark brown with a brown head and nice lacing.

S: I get some malt and chesnut, with some caramel and other flavors. Not quite as rich as I thought it was going to be but then again I'm new to Brown Ales.

T: I liked the taste, rich and flavorful, refreshing.

M: It wasn't as full-bodied as I expected it to be, just a little more watery than it looks; not that it is watery, it's fairly creamy, it just has a lighter body to it than it looks.

D: I could have a couple of these with a nice roast, or by itself, very enjoyable beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle to pint glass

A: dark, perfect brown with dirty tan head. Good lacing.

S: Smells like a malty chocolate candy bar with nuts. Maybe a hint of cherry.

T: Malt, pecan, hazelnut, caramel, toffee, and a splash of coffee.

M: Smooth and light. Almost perfect. No bitter aftertaste.

O: One of my favorites for sure. A little creamier and thicker and this would be the best beer.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really don't see how this is a 100 for the bros. That means they drank this beer and decided that there was no other beer better than this....THE QUEST IS OVER?!?? But seriously, it is a good beer, but far from "perfect" and not worth the money in my humble opinion.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)