Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown AleSamuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,428 | Hads: 3,670
4.75/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours with a thicker, fluffy head with staying power. This is an exceptional nut brown with the perfect balance of sweet scotch caramel and smooth dark malt. Will always come back to this one as a standard. Amazing Nut Brown!

3.46/5  rDev -15%

This is my first reveiw of a beer. All and All I have to say it tastes much like most brown ales. The flavor is smooth and it is drinkable, but so are all brown ales. I gave it an average rateing because nothing deffertiates this beer from the others I've tried ( although until recently my experience has been whofully limited). I can honestly I don't yet understand all the terms that most of you use, but it looks a dark brown amber in the glass. It smells like it tastes. Its bitter when it first touches the tongue, and then becomes smother the longer it's held there. As for drinkability I would choose this before some but after some. Please bare with my reveiws, as I am new to this.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%

The beer is pretty much like it sounds, Nut Brown Ale.
It has a good smell, NUT would be the best way to describe it.
I liked the taste, it has you coming back for another sip, which I look for in a beer.. But I don't know if it's what it's cracked up to be.. It also seems to thin out more as it warms.
The mouthfeel is good, though not close to as thick as I thought or would like it to be.
This beer's easily drinkable, but it doesn't have you crawling back to the fridge for more as others do.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

I had this beer tonight. Poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance = nice reddish brown color with a good thick foamy head.

Smell = it had a strong, but not overpowering malty aroma. I did not notice a nutty aroma as many report; but then again, my allergies have been bad.

Taste = great tasting and very drinkable. Left a rich, malty, almost sweet taste on my mouth.

Mouthfeel = medium body.

Drinkability = very drinkable and refreshing on a cool spring night.

This is a very good imported English brown ale. I will definitely drink it again. I would love to try it on tap.

a - brownish amber with a great tan head which reduces to some great lacing which has lasted for 20 min.

s - a carmel aroma with hints of lemon

t - carmel with a coffee/nutty aftertaste

m - coats the mouth but is not oily. deep flavors linger for a long time after drinking.

d - great beer, for the style this is one of the bests I have had after Bear Republic Tribute Brown.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Nut brown, almost a dark honey color, can see the carbonation
Smell - mild and crisp, like a pear or an apple
Taste - Fairly bitter with a nice almond or cashew after taste
Feel - Very light, good amount of bite from the carbonation, but nice

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance : Nice bottle with gold foil top. Poured into a pint glass a nice brown to walnut color. A thick 1" head of fairly large bubbles dissipated quickly to just a small lace. There were small tight bubbles of carbonation present in the upper half of the glass but not many rising from the bottom.

Smells: Nice aromatic beer. Balance of roasted malts and hops with a spicy nutty smell. Very earthy.

Taste: Light smooth beginning with a dry hoppy finish. Small traces of chocolate at the finish. Not as nutty or spicy as the color makes it look. The taste was average but enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Slightly carbonated to a flat dry finish. Left my mouth dry and craving something to quench my thirst with.

Drinkability: If someone offered me this beer I would not refuse. Its a nice nutty earthy beer but the beautiful color raises your expectations only to dissapoint with an average taste.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Purchased at the local liquor store and poured into a British pint glass. Amazing head that lingered for quite some time. The aroma is slightly sweet with a balaced hop smell. The taste is exceptional with a bit more bitterness than I expected but that did not detract from the overall taste. It has a distinct spicy finish that lingers on the palette.

Overall I would rate this beer as a great session beer, one that I would definately drink again but again one that I could not drink all the time lest I get spoiled on the taste.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

this is a great beer, bought it at a local bottle shop, very impressed.

it has a beautiful brown with a red tint. a light brown, tannish head, with a lot of lacing, and little finger trails.

the smell is malty, caramel, and nutty.

the taste, as the name suggests, is very nutty. it has a slight tea taste, maybe some caramel.

very light, barely noticeable carbonation, smooth, goes down easy, little taste on the back. very drinkable, this would be a wonderful beer to enjoy with some friends on a slow, talkative night. love it!

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

poured into a Guinness pint glass.

A. pours a medium brown with a frothy 2 finger head. great lacing that sticks to the glass well.

B. I smell roasted malts and some of nuts. smell is pleasing but not there enough.

T. I definitly taste roasted malts, nutty bread, and grains. this beer tastes better as it warms up.

M. light carbonation. alittle watery. to light for my liking.

O. I found this beer was good. it didn't blow me away but it was good. the taste certainly got better as it warmed. it felt a little to light though. still a good buy.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

I can't believe I've never had this stuff.

Pours a deep amber with a nice retaining head.

Smells sweet and malty and why not, nutty.

I'm very impressed with how this beer is put together. It's malty and sweet but not too sweet. It's smooth as silk and finishes with a pleasant nuttiness. I can't detect a bit of hops.

I could drink this all night and into tomorrow morning. I also think this would be a great introduction beer for those getting away from the macro stuff.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

brown in nature, brown in color. small head on my pour, cream color. smells sweet, and malty. tastes like caramel, and maybe chocolate. nothing here tastes nutty to me. Carbonic mouthfeel, light on the tongue but more on the back upper roof of the mouth, almost the throat. Drinkable, as a sipper, on a snowy night, and luckily this is one. Selected for such an occasion, and pleased with the choice/setting. will investigate other smuel smith beers... jury's still out here.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Dark tan in colour, with a creamy head; deliciously malty aroma with clear nutty elements; smooth in texture, bitter, nutty (I am thinking hazelnuts); complexities include butter, vanilla-caramel; bitter after taste but clean without leaving too much trauma

4.8/5  rDev +17.9%

A. Pours a nice dark brown. Nice head, light tan. Nice lacing.
S. Nice breads smell. Nothing strong.
T. Fantastic. A well crafted brown ale. Malty, slightly nutty and bready.
M. Perfect carbonation. Extremely enjoyable.
O. Dynamite. It's the definition of the style for a reason.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

This beer is a nice chestnut brown with a slightly reddish
tinge. However, it's still light enough that objects on the other side
of the glass can be seen. The head is a bit small but has a sandy tan color that complements the beer's color well.

Initially, it's got a slightly acrid smell that reminds me of
vinegar. It's got a subtly sour taste that matches the prickly
carbonation well, though the body is a bit thin. I'm afraid that I
might have chilled this too much, because overall the taste was a bit thin as well.

This beer is well balanced but not that exciting. Samuel
Smith's makes some great beers but this one is merely good.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a nonic pintglass.

Pours a clear copper caramel color with a two finger pale frothy head. Lacing is very prominent along the edges of the glass.

Smells strongly of caramel and fruits, bits of roasted nuts and malts.

Hints of buttered pecans and toffees with very subtle hoppy notes. With a mouthful you get the tastes of brown sugars, the viscosity very thick for how thin it appears within the glass.

I could drink these all night long with no qualms, the phenomenal taste makes it feel like you're drinking a glass of cinammon shortbread. This is one of the best brown beers I have had, and others should strive to achieve the notoriety that this one has!

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

I tried this and it was a good beer. I'm not going to go super in depth but just give an overview.

A: Good appearance, dark brown with a brown head and nice lacing.

S: I get some malt and chesnut, with some caramel and other flavors. Not quite as rich as I thought it was going to be but then again I'm new to Brown Ales.

T: I liked the taste, rich and flavorful, refreshing.

M: It wasn't as full-bodied as I expected it to be, just a little more watery than it looks; not that it is watery, it's fairly creamy, it just has a lighter body to it than it looks.

D: I could have a couple of these with a nice roast, or by itself, very enjoyable beer.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Bottle to pint glass

A: dark, perfect brown with dirty tan head. Good lacing.

S: Smells like a malty chocolate candy bar with nuts. Maybe a hint of cherry.

T: Malt, pecan, hazelnut, caramel, toffee, and a splash of coffee.

M: Smooth and light. Almost perfect. No bitter aftertaste.

O: One of my favorites for sure. A little creamier and thicker and this would be the best beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice caramel brown color. pours well and has a very nice creamy head. The smell is very inviting, fresh, malty and made me anticipate the tasting. The very first thing I thought while tasting this Nut Brown Ale was pupmperknickel rye bread, which I love. Samuel Smith's is very smooth for a Brown Ale, very drinkable and delightful. In short, I love this Ale. Cheers Mates!

4.19/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured in a Sam Smith pint glass.

Copper-ish brown and shiny red hues. Good cream-white head with big bubbles.

Smell is reminiscent of brown sugar with nutty notes.

Tastes of caramelised malts. A lot more of brown sugar with a strong grenoble nuts flavor and Amontillado sherry-like complexity. Good stuff! Fruity (figs). Finishes dry on earthy hops, even a slight astringency towards the end. Pretty much dark chocolate with an iron-like metallic taste thats lingers on.

Great brown ale. Good complexity for the style and one that looks like it would be appropriate with a stew or other braised meat-based meals. Creamy cheeses on nut-bread, too. Cheers!

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: Pours a beautiful dark brown with a thick, frothy, cream-colored head. Head subsides after a minute or two.

Smell: The first whiff is pure hazelnut, with a generally sweet maltiness coming after.

Taste: Like any Brown Ale, it tends toward the dry side. Still, it's very crisp, and though the taste lingers on your palate, it's pleasant.

Mouthfeel: It feels great normally, but it holds up even better if you swish it around your mouth a bit. Suddenly, the taste becomes a little sweeter, and the texture becomes velvety smooth. Carbonation is perfect, to the point where it's easy to forget it's even there.

Drinkability: Personally, I could drink 20. The alcohol and taste are perfectly balanced.

Like all Samuel Smith beers, it's a little pricey -- especially for a style that many other brewers do well. Still, it's a great beginner's beer. People who don't like the taste of beer (or don't know they do) will still love this. Best of all, it's a beer I still come back to and enjoy, and I expect to do so for years to come.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

A solid brown ale here. This one pours a dark translucent brown with a strong head retention. It gives off a nutty aroma, and has an even balance of a hoppy and nut flavor. This one goes down real smooth and crisp. Overall, a real easy beer to appreciate and enjoy.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Poured into a pint glass, this ale is a clear cherrywood colour. Somewhat dense cream-coloured head on pouring fades to less than half a centimeter retained at the edges of the glass.

Smell - Nutty, and caramel malts combine in a way reminiscent of vanilla, with just a hint of alcohol.

Taste - Sweetness that almost immediately defers to a nutty flavour, with a balancing of present but unconfrontational hazelnutty bitterness. An apple aftertaste lingers very pleasantly on the palate. Definitely improves as it warms. I would caution against serving it too cold.

Mouthfeel - Almost something one doesn't think about while drinking this beer; it just seems right for the style. Carbonation is certainly present but non-aggressive, and the beer is of a medium density.

Overall - Very straightforward and pleasant beer to drink, with a depth and richness of flavour that puts it ahead of many nut brown ales.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Many UK beers have a similar quality I don't care for at all; Not my experience from drinking in pubs over there, so maybe they just don't ship well. But this quality I'm speaking of is a vegetable-like aftertaste, like maybe pureed broccoli that's been fermented. I drank this together with the German Aventinus, which was sublime -- The Samuel Smith was not sublime. Just another premium English beer that I don't enjoy. Don't believe the hype.

A friend who drank Guinness in Irish pubs said it was wonderful there, and nothing like the Guinness shipped to the US, so I have some backing on my thesis here.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

A550 ml bottle served about 48 degrees, poured into a Pyrex straight-walled lab beaker.
Color is deep brown, with a sort of ruby tanned leather color. Creamy, foamy head that lingers and provides nice lacing.

The head retains the toasty sweetness of the malt with no astringent CO2 smell.
After the head goes down, it has a slightly dough-y smell with a hit of brown sugar.

Taste & Mouth feel
Taste is a nice sweet toasted grain flavor, its the malty-ness of this beer is the reason to drink it. A good example of a distinct malty flavor that coats the tongue well, but isn’t cloying, and hops that balance the beer out with a nice sharpness that cleanses the palette well.

Overall Impression

A well made, traditional ale that is a pleasure to have more than one of.

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)