Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome AleSamuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale

good

good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale Alström Bros
byrd

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Winter Welcome 03 - Large frothy off white head that becomes rocky and piles above the rim. The head lasts a long time and becomes a thick frothy lace. Color is a clear copper. Nice appearance. Aroma is of subdued grainy malts and a hops that stands out but seems a bit different to me. The mouth feel is a bit on the light side. Slightly malty start, but not very sweet. Fairly well hopped brew that becomes evident shortly after the start. Hops are pretty well pronounced, fade in the finish, but don’t disappear completely. The malt becomes a bit more noticeable and a slight bit more sweet as the brew warms. This is an okay brew, but I don’t know if I enjoyed it enough to want more then one or two. Didn't seem very complex. Seemed like a pale ale that left me pretty unimpressed.

01-15-2004 03:08:51 | More by byrd
daliandragon

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Another seasonal from one of England's finest traditional style brewers. I know a lot of people complain about the clear bottles but they've been brewing beer for a long time, they must know something we don't know...right?
Okay, I'm seeing a rich copper color with decent foam of head that holds the fort for ten good minutes after the pour, which is pretty strong in my book. No cloudiness but lots of visible carbonation. The nose is very understated, almost invisible in fact. All I detect is hints of malt and alcohol..I'd like to see a little more life from a big winter beer.
The taste is big and bold but not too inspiring..I get hops and a touch of malt with traces of unidentified spice but nothing more. Some bitterness and a bit of an astringent mouthfeel but it reminds me a little too much of soap for that to be a compliment. Alcohol is also present in the taste. Mouthfeel is ho hum, not great, not terrible.
Overall, a bit disappointing, I'd like to see some more character..this one is more anonymous than I'd like.

12-05-2005 04:14:29 | More by daliandragon
robbyc1

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Pure clear honey color, small head, poured into a duvel glass, 2009-10 version from the label.

Nose is sweet malt.

Undistinguished malt, pale with no complex flavors, bready maybe? Finish is long and slightly sweet.

Mouthfell is silky and heavy, best part so far. Oddly warming @6%.

Easy drinker but not much here vs all the now available winter warmers.

12-22-2009 01:58:59 | More by robbyc1
donniecuffs

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

This is one of those beers that people I know wouldn't shut up about; "oh man, you GOTTA try this..". Yadda, yadda, yadda. Of course, this was the last beer that I needed to check off my list to complete the 'mba' promo at the Cloverleaf, so that added some additional anticipation. Well, here goes...

Poured a deep amber into an American pint glass, with a very thin white head, and almost no lacing or carbo presence. Not much aroma at all; only some subtle pear , caramel, and spices. The flavor revealed a little more intensity, but that's not saying much. The taste was dominated by caramel and brown sugar, with a very feint hint of spices. Decently smooth and medium-bodied, but way too mellow of a flavor for me.

12-07-2009 06:31:41 | More by donniecuffs
harrymel

Washington

Bottled: unk

Pours tawny brown with a near solid sheet of fine whites. Vanilla, tea, nougat, some almond and sweet malts come through the nose. Tastes fairly simple and subtle. A good malty beverage with some fruity notes from the english yeast, some sweetened plum and bread flavors. Medium bodied with low carb and an overal silkiness I get in most sam smith beers. A nice enough drinking beer, but not likely going to get it again. Reminds me of a thickened kristalweizen.

12-15-2012 04:45:14 | More by harrymel
beerguru15

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Tried out the Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome tonight, it turned out to be a decent beer

The appearance was a light Amber color with a off white head that seemed to last quite a long time.

When I first smelled it, I noticed it was very sweet, followed by a aray of different smells such as carmel

The taste was very smooth with a slight aftertaste. Being that it's supposenly a winter beer, I thought the taste would be more bold than what it is

The mouthfeel was not that much, just smooth

I'd say drinkability it wasn't bad. It's something that I would drink again, but wouldn't run to the store directly for it.

01-23-2010 06:29:48 | More by beerguru15
Wasatch

Utah

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a copper color, not much carbonation, small head, nice lacing throughout. Scents of malt and slight sweet caramel. Not a bad taste, kinda sweet/bitter. Medium body. Very drinkable. Why does Samuel Smith bottle in clear bottles is beyond me. Not really sure if I would recommend this brew though.

11-02-2005 00:32:49 | More by Wasatch
elgiacomo

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz bottle, 2012 batch. Served at around 50F. Been told time and time again I need to try this, and despite not being the biggest fan of the style, finally picked up a single to check out.

Pours clear copper with a two finger off-white head that leaves some nice lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is mostly caramel, bread, pretty malty, some fruit, some toffee, bit of herbal, grassy hops. Good strength.

Flavor generally follows suit, quite a bit of caramel, some bread and toffee, touch of herbal hops, minimal alcohol, moderate sweetness, mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light/medium bodied, a little sticky, moderate to good carbonation.

Easy drinking English Ale, nothing really outstanding, but good flavor.

01-05-2013 01:12:27 | More by elgiacomo
Applesauce1

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Got the Winter Welcome at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH.

Poured an amber-copper color with about a 3/4" head into my chilled pint glass.

The head stuck a little to the sides of the glass as it dissipated. Besides that though, appearance was good.

Smell - not a typical winter warmer smell, couldn't smell cinnamon or nutmeg; maybe a little bit of hops, but overall a decent smell; not overpowering
Taste - pretty good, not great though; light hops presence, maybe some of the typical winter warmer spices, but not as defined as other winter warmers; maybe a hint of skunkiness (clear bottle), but nowhere near other imports
Mouthfeel - pretty good, went down well
Drinkability - decent; could drink another one tonight, but not right after this one

01-13-2006 04:17:24 | More by Applesauce1
pentathlete

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Clear dark gold, almost like a euro dark lager, with minimal head and a faint ring. Smell is spicy, yeasty malt, some butter notes, and the hops are faint. Taste is hampered by a very thin mouthfeel. The spices are there but the brew itself is rather raw, watery and unpleasant. Despite all of this it isn't terrible, just not anything special.

12-24-2005 23:19:08 | More by pentathlete
DrinkinBoy

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Samuel Smith Winter Welcome pours a light amber color with a light tan head with little retention.

The smell is light but has a nutty roasted smell.

Its taste starts with with roasted tones, bu finished very tangy.

The mouthfeel was full body with a lot of carbonation.

Overall the drinkability was average, and the beer itself was average for its category I expected more.

02-06-2009 03:41:40 | More by DrinkinBoy
MbpBugeye

Winter 2009

A- Lighter than I expected. Its a perfectly clear amber beer with a fairly nice fluffy white head. The head fades but only to a thin layer blanketing the top of the beer like a fresh snowfall. There is minor lacing as it goes down.

S- Really sweet. Honey, grass, tea. Mostly lots of honey.

T- Again, honey, grass, tea, biscuity malts. Hops balance it out.

M- Thin, somewhat watery. Finishes dry.

D- Crisp, clean, refreshing.

I love Sam Smith but this is my least favorite beer by them that Ive had.

12-15-2009 06:49:34 | More by MbpBugeye
Hunter

Arizona

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

The beer pours a lovely deep amber, with a thick head of pillowy foam. No carbonation to speak of.

Smell is a little off. Skunky, which is my biggest complaint to Sam Smith's here - can you PLEASE bottle using brown glass??? The clear glass seems to allow simply too much light in.

Taste is smooth and malty, your basic English ale with some spice and secrets thrown in. Almost reminiscent of a Belgian (is there candi sugar hiding in here?) Mouthfeel is silky, with a bitter aftertaste of hops and slightly sour fruit.

I wanted to give this brew a better rating (although what I gave isn't all that bad) because I enjoy this seasonal offering. But between the smell and the somewhat bitter aftertaste I couldn't in good conscience do it.

10-14-2004 03:03:23 | More by Hunter
beerandcycling88

Washington

3.33/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into my Iron Horse mug.

A Pours a clear copper color that is topped with an off white head.

S Some caramel malt with a metallic note that seems to be present in all Samuel Smiths beers.

T More caramel and metal along with a bit of a fruity taste and a bit of bread.

M Medium body that is well carbonated.

Overall this is a solid winter beer, its fairly complex and a nice break from the various spiced beers that come out this time of year. Plus the price is excellent for what you get which makes this beer worth buying.

11-21-2011 02:09:15 | More by beerandcycling88
ChainGangGuy

(2007 Bottle)

Appearance: Clear, light brown body with a small white head that recedes fairly quickly.

Smell: Toasted malt aroma with a bit of caramel and mild notes of berries and spicy hops.

Taste: Biscuity, toasted maltiness with a subdued caramel sweetness and a hint of berry fruitiness. Dries out into a light spicy bitterness. Finishes same.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: It's fine, however wholly unremarkable it may be.

11-09-2007 23:14:00 | More by ChainGangGuy
Augustiner719

Poured from a 550ml bottle into a Duvel glass

Appearance: Pours and very coppery, orange color. Medium 1 finger head with moderate retention and a little lace down the side of the glass. Very light colored compared to the other winter warmers I have had in the past.

Smell: Smells like candied orange peels with ginger, and a slight cinnamon stick aroma. Has a bit of caramel in the background.

Taste: Tastes very light for the style. Judging this against other winter warmers or winter ales I would say this doesnt match up. Its got an awkward citrus and bitterness note on the front end that is impossible to get past. Almost like redwine vinegar soaked raisins.

Mouthfeel: Overly carbonated and thin. Not the best and close to the worst mouthfeel on a winter warmer i have had.

Drinkability: Compared to the style this blows in my opinion. But, for a flavorful brew that has a bit more complexity that some fuller bodied beers its good. I wouldnt go out of my way to find this, but its a great alternative to some of the english beers like Bass.

12-08-2009 02:21:22 | More by Augustiner719
paganbeast

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Surprisingly mild. Samuel Smith's brews generally have much more character and texture to them. The aroma was gentle, with a delicate head. The flavor was slightly fruity and smooth. Had I not opened the bottle myself, I would've been surprised to learn that it was a Samuel Smith. Welcoming a mild Winter.

01-03-2004 21:44:52 | More by paganbeast
MJR

I'm reviewing the 2002 version:

Appearance: Pours a light amber/honey color with a foamy, 1/4 inch, off-white head. Leaves a nice pattern of Belgian lace down the side of the glass. I love the bottle on this one...very regal looking with a W. Shakespeare quote!

Smell: Faint 'green' smell of hops. A touch of butterscotch in the nose as well.

Taste: A medium-bodied toffee flavor with a strong butterscotch diacetyl backbone. Not much hops in this one...it's all sweet malt. A touch of honey as well. As I work my way through the bottle, I'm picking up on a very faint spice flavor...can't pinpoint it though.

Mouthfeel: A nice medium body with a very 'soft' finish.

Drinkability: Pretty good. A little too sweet which prevents me from drinking more than one or two. Then again, this isn't intended to be a session beer...

Overall, a solid winter warmer. Nothing I'd go out of my way to find, but a good stand-by for the holiday season.

11-14-2002 19:53:16 | More by MJR
Lupe

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Copper in color with a white head and some lacing. Musty aroma with notes of fruit, honey, and hops. Medium bodied with a smooth and crisp mouthfeel. Starts with a bready malt flavor along with some carmel and fruitness. A mustiness lurks in the backround that takes away from the beer. Some spiciness comes forward, not from the hops, which are minimal, but hard to pinpoint the taste. The flavor is very subdued, sweet but it seems to be lacking something. I was expecting more after having Samuel Smith's other brews.

12-06-2002 15:56:41 | More by Lupe
Tone

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a golden-brown color. 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Good retention and good lacing. Smells of grass, sweet malt, hops, and some spice aromas. Fits the style of a Winter Warmer. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with high carbonation levels present. Noticeable dryness present. Spices and hops up front with a tart malt background, along with some sweet malt finish. Strange flavors; really dry with low hops and spices, but high tart malts.

02-13-2009 02:50:40 | More by Tone
noslenwerd

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Not a whole lot of smell, some sweet malt.

Appears a pretty clear cherry brown

Taste is just too watery. Some sweet malt, just not enough of it.

This beer fell short for me and lacked the wow factor. Especially because I really like all the other beers brewed by Samuel Smith. Not a bad beer, but its just something I would not go out of my way to drink again. Needs more flavor for my mouth buds.

04-20-2010 17:31:27 | More by noslenwerd
BrewMaster

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 550 ml bottle labeled "2003-2004." Pours amber golden with a light head. It turns to a complete but thin covering of bubbles very quickly. It lacks any hearty aroma to speak of. Perhaps a bit of malriness, but nothing distinguishable to my nose.

In the flavor I get a definate malty flavor along with honey, citrus, and a bit og a metallic flavor. The glass I am drinking it from is a pint glass I use for man beers and is thouroughly cleaned each time, so I don't think the metallic taste comes from the glass. It is also a bit sour in flavor.

08-22-2004 05:24:40 | More by BrewMaster
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a burnished amber colour, with a full thick head of off-white bubbles. Good lacing, lots of streaming carbonation. Overall, it looks a very pleasant English ale.

Sprightly green hopped nose, lots of cut grass and fresh English styled hoppiness. Some funk is also present, a light sulphurous note. Little sweetness, which I'm surprised about. Overall, it's a little weak, and a little odd. Can't say I'm a big fan.

Smooth entry, with a mild bitterness crescendoing mid palate. Some faint sweetness on the back, before it dries out to a rather tame and generic English pale-ale style finish. The bitterness is a true English character, quite gritty and crisp. Overall, there's little complexity to the palate, and the dryness becomes quite tiresome after a while. Mouthfeel is crisp, lacks a little roundness.

Overall, a confusing beer. I can't say I'm a huge fan - it comes across as very little more than a rather tame English pale or brown ale. Of course, stylistically, it's pretty smooth and drinkable, but overall, I was expecting something richer and more complex from a winter ale.

Samuel Smith's can do better.

11-26-2009 22:14:50 | More by lacqueredmouse
John1985

Tennessee

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Ale came in Imperial Pint clear bottle. The ale poured with a nice white head with a beautiful deep amber color. Aroma was skunky that eventually cleared somewhat. The flavor had a nice balance between toasty malt and hops. Pleasant bitter aftertaste that tickles the tongue. Overall impression is that this is not a bad ale but this is not what I expect in a Winter Warmer. I expect a richer more substantial ale (e.g. SN Celebration Ale).

I must say I always wanted to try this beer because of the label on the bottle.

12-31-2003 18:05:40 | More by John1985
hckyfn9999

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a nice amber orange color with a very nice white head and very good retention.

Aroma is very sweet. Smells of sweet fruit, caramel, honey, and a little hops an alcohol as well.

Taste is more sweetness initially. A good amount of fruit flavors along with some caramel. There is a very dry and bitter finish. A bitterness similar to a granny smith apple. The taste is pretty good upfront, but I don't care for the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine other than the dryness which brings the drinkability down.

11-14-2006 02:17:35 | More by hckyfn9999
Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)