Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome AleSamuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale

good

good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a birght amber with a lacy white head. Smells of light sweet malt and lightly bitter. Not much going on for the aromas.

Tastes is creamy smooth and lightly spicy. Has a nice hoppy finish but the hops don't do much to asert themselves. Light sweet malt flavors, very lightly fruity. Light spiciness but overall this beer is just plain smooth and creamy. Mouthfeel is creamy and a bit light-bodied. Feather-like hops aftertaste.

For a Strong Ale is is amazingly smooth and creamy. Tremendously drinkable and very tasty. However all the elements just don't add up for me. A very nice ale but not one I would associate with a "Winter Warmer" type of brew. I just expect more boldness with a winter beer. I will save the other bottle until early spring...

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Appernace: classic golden, red color almost like a tint of crimson and cinnamon. The foamy soapy head formed quickly and left quickly. It did leave some big chunks at the rim of the glass but that was about it.

Smell: smells a bit watery or thin with hint of honey....but I could detect slight spices and grassy hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel: spices, hops, and toatsy malts. Some interesting toffee or honey/caramel flavor pairs nicely with the spiced flavor (nutmeg and small touch of cinnamon) and is a good example of a winter warmer. Body is slightly creamy and smooth. Nice beer to sip! aftertaste is kind of dry and gets to you after a while.

not to shabby! I would buy this again as long as I can find it around here.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours with an ample and fluffy white head settling over clear light, light reddish liquid. There was a whiff of skunkiness when I first stuck my schnozz in the glass that seemed to dissipate once things settled down...slightly. Otherwise, some light butterscotch/diacetyl and light maltiness is present with some delicate hop aroma. The taste features light/medium mouthfeel, subtle fruitiness and a nice, slightly metallic hop note, fading into a somewhat dryish and bitter finish. A quality brew that's a fine example of what holiday beers used to be like before the advent of more aggressively flavored microbrewed examples became the norm.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a medium golden with solid red highlights (against a light) with a huge fluffy head. Aroma is very familiar, but hard to place- something along the lines of anise, licorice, and peppermint. Flavor is standard malty beer with slight hops bite, and a spicy flavor on top. Nice flavor, but this isn't generally my style, so it's hard to get my arms around it to embrace it.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

The body on this beer really is pretty. A copper/reddish/amber color, crystal clear and sparkling. The head is a bit of a let-down, unfortunately. Starts foamy and then dissapates into nearly nothing.

Smell is rather weak on this brew, and just not very interesting. A little bit of maltyness, and a tiny bit of hops, but just rather bland.

Taste is sweet up front with plenty of malt. A bit spicy or herbal, then buttery on the end.

Mouthfeel is rather thick and coats the mouth well. Drinkability is so so. I probably won't be buying another, but I'll definately finish this bottle.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber, not quite dark enough in my opinion for a winter ale, with a decent head lacking in retention. Nose is medium sweet malt, not particularly bold, with a few misc. spices nestled in taste is much different. The hops hit directly, followed by a sweetness not stong in malt. Some happy spice follows. In general, not a bad brew. Nothing to be joyful about, and not particularly characteristic of other winter brews. In a pinch, it will do, but not this winter.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

965th Review on BA
Bottle to Stemmed mug
550 Ml to Stemless mug

Shared with friends at our 2nd annual Way before Xmas, Xmas dinner

Purchased at Bevmo Chino Hills

App- A very dark yellow with some orange and light browns with a 1/2 finger of head. Zero cling and lace.

Smell- A whole bunch was in this glass. A bit of honey, a bit of bitter hoppiness and a lot of malts to balance things out.

Taste- Same as the nose. A bit more honey on the flavor from the balance of the fuggels and golding. A little bit creamy. Not a big beer by any means. A lot smoother and creamier and lighter than I thought.

Mouth- A light medium body and a medium carbonation level with a lot of residual honey.

Drink- A whole lot lighter than I thought and a lot different than I thought. I was expecting a dark roasty malty warming beer. This was way off from that but still better than average in flavor and feel.

'06/'07 550 ml brown bottle poured into oversized wine glass

A: Crystal clear orange/amber, with 2 finger off-white head, with good retention and adequate lacing.

S: Mild malt, maybe some sweetness. Not much going on here.

T: No hops, no alcohol, not much flavor at all. I can't get any spice, neither. I guess that's because its English. Mild, sweet malt.

M: Thin, flat, little carbonation.

D: Easy to pound, but too expensive for that. Not bad, just not that good. Beats BMC any day. Sam Smith has better offerings IMO.

Not what I expected in a Winter Warmer. Someone told me it's because it's an English Warmer. They don't spice like others. I will not seek this out again. Too much money for so little flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into my pint glass the beer is red tinted golden color. The beige head reaches three fingers and nearly escapes my glass. Gobs of sticky lace remain around the glass after a brief rest. A nice cap rest gently on top of the beer.

The aroma is lightly hopped with a strong malt presence. Very sweet with hints of apple and lemons.

The flavor is very malty. It's actually more malt then I was ready for. Hints of hops but you really gotta search for them. It has a sort of apple juice feeling to it.

Medium body with lots of carbonation.

Overall nowhere near my expectations. A nice beer but I think I will pass on it next christmas.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

Winter is Coming! I guess its already here for those in the northern hemisphere. I look forward to this one every year. I used to pick up the bomber or two and have one on the solstice day to bring it on in. This year I waited a few days because of various reasons. Nevertheless I was turned on to this beer over a decade ago by a good friend who loved it dearly. On to the review. What a pretty beer this is, it pours a beautiful toffee color. The head remains pretty well intact over the several minutes I gave it to settle. The smell is of Christmas candies and malt, very little hop character shows up in this one. I am a hop fiend if you didn't already guess, but I do like this one for reasons unbeknownst to me. The taste is very similar to the aroma, it has a nice thick sweet mouth feel, almost cloying, but not. It takes you to the edge but reels you back in at the last minute. Overall, I do have a special place in my heart for this one and it brings back a certain time in my life where things were better than I ever would have realized they were while living them. Nevertheless, I do not oversell this one, it is a good beer and one to search out to warm you on those long winter nights that could very well last for years.

3.48/5  rDev -5.2%

This wasn't too bad of a brew in my book. It was a kind of orangey/light red color with an off white head. The head wasn't spectacular or anything, but stayed around a little. You could tell that it was carbonated though. The smell was a little on the spicey side with hints of fruits. The taste was similar to the smell, but more along the spicey side, with hops and different winter spices used. It was alittle too hoppy for me, so I'll stick with my malts. If you are a fan of the hops, go for it.

Poured into pint glass

A: Pours a clear rich copper, topped with a creamy off beige/manilla head

S: Warm malts, touch of hops, citrus rind?

T: Roasted malt fades to hops, almost as if to fade lager -> ale

M: Tart and sweet, then bitter

D: High abv, can feel it quick, gets filling

Great label, poured from a 550 ML bottle

A - Very clear amber/orange in color, nice thick frothy slightly off white head, great head retention.

S - Get some butterscotch, biscuity malts, slight citrus.

T - Very nice, get caramel, some bread like malts, slight hint of hops on the back end. Very crisp taste, hint of citrus.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

O - Nicely balanced brew, while malty in flavor is nice and dry with a crisp refreshing finish.

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)