Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome AleSamuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale

good

good

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz into Atlas Mason spaghetti sauce jar.

A: Full hand of good ecru head. A nice translucent copper color. Nice lacing to boot.

S: Toasty maltiness, and the faintest trace of hoppiness. Smells kind of like a Newcastle.

T: Taste a bit like a Newcastle too, but this beer has more to offer. with a bit more hop character and a nice dryness. Not too sweet. Its a lot dryer than I remember.

M: Light to medium body maybe a bit oily very nice feeling. Super dry at the end.

D: Back in my Purdue collage days livin' with the Slutz on Lutz. Pard and Warren would come in with cases of this shit and we'd drink them down as fast as we could open them. They don't taste as good as I remember, but its still a very good beer and very drinkable

3.45/5  rDev -6%

A - Brown ale, boney head but not all that large.

S - Pleasant. A little nutmeg, pumpkin, cinnamon. Smells like pumpkin pie.

T - Good overall, but I can't get away from this bitter/sour mash aftertaste. Great up front with the pumpkin spices, but doesn't leave such a pleasing aftertaste.

F - I have no complaints. Feels like a solid, medium-bodied beer.

D - Well, I keep wanting to take sips, because I can't stand the aftertaste. To be fair, I get this in a few winter warmers...I don't really like the spicy hoppy aftertaste. One or the other, but both don't work for me.

Pours a clear amber color. One finger white head from a strong pour. It dissipates quickly, leaving a wispy cloud in the middle of the snifter. Not really any lacing to speak of. Once in a while there’s a streak here or there.

Sweet nose, mostly malts, didn’t prepare me for the hoppy surprise I was about to enjoy. Smells like a snickers bar, caramel and a little chocolate. As it warms the bouquet of hops comes out a bit.

Different old ale style, hops definitely more evident then other winter’s I have had. I think it’s actually quite refreshing. Hops leave a nice strong bitter finish. The malt is definitely there as well. Leaves a sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is like pop rocks. Explosive. Not too thin, not quite syrupy.

I’m a pretty big fan of Sam Smith’s brews. Slightly pricey, but this is on a short list of beers I’d definitely order during the winter months if it’s on the menu.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

Off the pour it has a clear amber color. A soft white head. Great lacing and fair retention. This is one beer I am always glad to have.

Smells of sweet pale malts and spices. Nothing else really stands out for my nose.

Tastes of bready malts, spices, alcohol and light on the hops but they are still noticeable.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

This was a pretty decent beer, but my problem with it is that the malt is far too subtle compared to the hops, making this beer off-balanced. It poured a clear amber-red with a light tan head. I couldn't pull much aroma from the beer, just a milky cream aroma flavor that carried over into the flavor with a pale caramel malt and grassy hops. I wouldn't recommend this one.

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into a pint glass pours an amber color with some serious head and that stays the entire drink. Smell is pretty bland I was expeting some spice and nutmeg smells but it really had a faint smell of blandness. Taste was also a a bit bland I am thinking that this could be a spoiled bottle Samuel Smith is just quality and this was missing it, just a sour bitterness in the taste. Overall I am hoping that this was a bad bottle, the taste was not there, I will get another bottle to compare.

3.28/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle

A: Pours a clear copper under a fingers worth of white head. No lace, little retention.

S: Smells of some slgith citrus hops and caramel maltiness.

T: Some caramel, some toasted malt in the back end, not a whole lot going on. A little bit of a "dirty", slightly piney hop character going on here, but very little bitterness

M/D: Medium bodied, not a lot of carbonation. Drinkability is about average on this, it's easy to drink, but I don't know if I would really want another.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

550 mL brown bottle, 2007-2008 edition.

Pours a rich copper orange with a thin, dense white head.

Sweet molasses in the aroma with hints of hazelnuts.

Starts off sweet and malty with lots of caramel and molasses notes. Some dried fruit notes, raisins come to mind. Hops are present towards the middle but only add enough bitterness to balance the malt and not much character of their own. Alcohol gives a slight warming effect but is pretty well hidden. Faint metallic taste towards the end. Full-bodied with low carbonation.

Great balance here. A nice winter ale I could drink all evening.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Decent, it has a great copper color but the head dies off a tad too fast and leaves some decent lacing
S: very malty with an almost candied hint like molasses or caramel there is some sort of sugary aroma
T: Too plain and ordinary for my tastes. I know some winter warmers are not spiced at all, and i imagine thats what this is. its a solid well balanced malty bready caramel type ale, but it doesnt scream winter warmer to me
M: very very clean, its weird, sometimes there is a tad aftertaste most of the time there isnt just like water, which is somewhat dissapointing

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I've had this beer for many, many winters, and I have to say that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I first did. I don't know if it's me or the beer, or all the other great beers that have come along, but it seems much closer to average now. For all that, it is still a pleasant winter brew and much more reasonable in strength than many. This is the 2007 edition I'm reviewing.

Pours orange with a decent head and good lacing. Smells bready and a bit grainy. Ther are also nice aromas of apple and orange. Malt predominates over hops. Taste is similar, and a tad sweeter than I would like. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin- I definitely remember this having more body. The spices and fruit are quite muted and overall it's not quite the harmonious whole that one would wish.

3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

550ml brown bottle with gold foil on top.

pours a nice reddish copper colour with a medium cream coloured head. the head drops fairly quick. no lace.

aroma is nice. fresh floral hops. bread and cracker malt. bit of alcohol. hint of dms. touch of light citrus.

taste is good. big malty base. wheat bread. cracker. bit of biscuit. touch of alcohol. nice earthy and floral hops. bit of grapefruit and light citrus hops too. low bitterness level. straightforward, but damn solid.

mouthfeel is good. medium body. medium-low carbonation level.

drinkability is great. well balanced and very enjoyable. this is one solid english. time to pick up a few more before they're gone...

3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

The clear, dark amber liquid which emerged from the bottle exactly filled my imperial pint glass, with a small head just eeking its way over top of the glass. I'd give more points for looks if the head didn't disappear so quickly.

Most obvious to the nose are grainy malt flavours, though some raisins and cherries are also present.

The delicate hoppiness only becomes obvious when sipping. It seems to me like a fuller and richer version of your standard bitter. It also gets a little sour as it warms up.

The finish is surprisingly dry ... and peppery, thanks to the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is rather full, at times chewy -- there is a warming sensation to be felt from the slightly higher alcohol content, as advertised -- but the moderate carbonation keeps this refreshing.

Quite easily drinkable, but to gulp it would be to waste it.

3.73/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz from the Coop for about $3.. shared with Brenda.. mine from my New Belgium goblet.

Long lasting 2 finger head atop a very clear orange brew.. spotty lacing.

Aroma is toasted bread and a touch of orange peel.

Toasted malt and more orange and a hint of nutmeg.. Caramel malts are dominant mid palate... and a yeasty fruity finish. Finish is dry for the style..not expected at all... The dryness works in this one.. there is enough going on to make it interesting.. Body is on the light side and carbonation is a touch high..

Not alot more to say.

Edit.. When Brenda and I bought our first house, we got the key at 8:00 am... We went immediately to Home Depot and rented a floor sander.. after pretty much 16 straight hours of sanding, it was time to stain the floors... Steven and I stained the entire house in the next 5 hours... It is 7:00 am and the sun is coming up... we are covered in sawdust and smell like gasoline.... Steven and I have had no beer since we started working and REALLY could use one... we check out the fridge, and the previous owners left a nicely wrapped Samuel Smith Winter Welcome '02-'03... That brew was one of the best beers and the nicest welcomes a person could have given us... Thanks.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance> glowing amber ale, rich head that stays, good lacing.
Smell> estery, spicey, perhaps even 'woody'
Taste> Crisp, almost salty start, starts seducing you slowly with its mellow ale taste, gets resiny with some nutmeg, and the finish goes sweet as honey.
Mouf> Medium bodied
Drinkability> easy peasy. I could drink this anytime, though I won't rush to buy it. I tend to like my winter ales to be a little bit heavier, but my man loved this, and people who like a lighter and easier to drink (in mass quantities) winter ale will really enjoy this.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a nice clear amber color with 1/2 inch of pillowy tan head, ok lacing. Not very much smell, not even after sticking as much of my nose into the glass as possible. Overall just some maltiness and some holiday spices. Taste-wise it's very shocking though, lots of sweetness, combining toffee, caramel, and butterscotch with toasted malt, honey, and grapes, with a hoppy finish. Medium in body with good carbonation. Better warm. While not the greatest winter warmer I've ever had, it did a pretty decent job at satisfying my taste buds, but it won't be a beer I camp out at the beer store to get again.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale 2007-2008 edition pours a light copper color with an off white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a mildly sweet aroma. The taste is fairly mild for a winter warmer, I'm hit up front by the hops, which aren't really very strong, followed by a pleasant malt flavor, that doesn't quite reach the caramel level but comes close. A very pleasant beer.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautifully clear deep orange amber, with a light tan head that leaves good lacing on my over sized wine glass.
The smell is not overpowering, but smells softly of sweet caramel malts and honey, with a light amount of dark fruits and hops accompany.
The taste is also on the light side. Sweet caramel and toasted malts are present along with honey and a grape fruitiness. A mild hop bitterness and a bit of spice finish this one out.
This is a quite light winter warmer and I typically enjoy mine a little bit, um . . warmer. That being said it is a good, well-balanced brew.

3.83/5  rDev +4.4%

I really enjoyed this beer. FIrst of all, I consider myself to be a pretty stingy judge of appearance but this beer deserves every half point. It has a beautiful amber/red color with a nice inch of tight white head that lasts until the end. The ample carbonation gives the amber body a nice feeling of upward movement with nice tiny bubbles. This is not the most fragrant beer but what is there is some apple and sweet malts. The taste is hints of grainy malts with and brandy overtones and just a hint of winter spices. there is a great amount of carbonation and it is bot too thick and not too creamy, just right. Not necessarily the christmasiest of all ales but it is really enjoyable and i am quite glad i drank it.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a deep amber with a firm white head that doesn't diminish and leaves decent lacing on the glass. Very inviting looking. Very faint nose -- pretty much caramel malts with a hint of spices. Taste is cloyingly sweet -- toffee, butterscotch, egg nog spices -- with a dry, slightly hoppy finish that slides into an unfortunate astringency. Snappy carbonation in the mouthfeel with a medium to light-bodied presence. Decent drinkability on the whole, but nothing spectacular. I certainly don't regret drinking this -- it was better than I expected based on other reviews. But it's not a seasonal that I will be waiting on pins and needles for either. Pretty much the Old Brewery Pale Ale with faint spices and what seems like a little extra hopping thrown in.

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Rich amber color, frothy head that fades quickly leaving a white lacing on the edges of my glass. Med to high carbonation. Slight oily mouthfeel, a little chalkiness on the tongue.

Low to med malty aroma, and little to no hop aroma.

A solid ok, probably not something I would search out for a winter warmer.

12oz brown bottle with 2007-2008 printed on the label. Served in an imperial pint.

Pours light copper with a huge, creamy, off white head. This is a bright beer with sparkling clarity and abundant carbonation. The density appears average to thin. The head hangs around for quite awhile an leaves some streaky lace. This is definitely a malty smelling brew. Semi-sweet bready malts with toasted and nutty traits. Faint caramel and even more faint grassy notes as well. The flavor is less sweet and bready and more toasted grain with hints of nuttiness and molasses. The hop character is understated but presents itself as mostly herbal with some dried citrus peel in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a somewhat chewy texture and adequate carbonation. Has a moderately chalky finish.

This beer is a well crafted version of an English winter warmer. At 6% abv, the alcohol is at the lower end of the scale for the style. I liked the balance of ingredients as well as the depth of flavor. This is the first time I have tried this seasonal classic and I must say I will certainly be making it part of my winter selections for years to come.

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

2007/2008 release.

Pours a nice copper color with a small off-white head that quickly dissipates and leaves hardly any lacing. Plenty of carbonation bubbles are rising throughout the glass.

Aroma is of toffee, caramel, and red apples. Some hops are evident in the nose.

Taste is good and toasty the toasty sweetness of the malts up front, sandwiching the fruity red apple flavor between the dry bitterness of the hops.

Mouthfeel is carbonated and oily, with a dry finish. Not a whole lot of aftertaste, but what is there is sort of "flat" for lack of a better word. A drinkable, decent winter ale, but not something I go searching for.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Amber color with a white whipped cream head. The aromas begin with delicate spicy hop character and then there’s other notes of bright fruits, pineapple, and apple that come around. Berry fruitiness on a mild toasted grain background, husky, and bisquity. Floral, herbal tea hops with a slight bittering character balances while the spice play their role nicely, not too much and just enough to linger on the palate for a bit. Some honey sweetness fades to more tart berry finish on a decently smooth mouthfeel and a lazy fizz carbonation. Pretty tasty, nice balance, and rather drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours an amber body with a solid, white head with good retention. Solid lacing all around the glass throughout the session.

S: Smelled kind of fruity with hints of malts.

T: A nice, balanced, malty taste. No fruit notes within the beer, but the Winter Welcome did remind a little bit of their nut brown.

M: A nice, full-bodied mouthfeel. Smooth as silk and pleasant on the tongue.

D: A fairly drinkable beer. Good mouthfeel and balanced taste makes it appropriate for it's name as it is very "welcoming." Based on the nature of this beer, I believe it will be better enjoyed when warmed up a little and served between 40F and 50F.

3.15/5  rDev -14.2%

07-08 edition
A-Pours a clear copper color with a 1" off white head that quikly fades,no lacing seen.

S-It smells of sweet malt and spices and what seems to be sour apples.

T-Taste is all spice up-front then a slight hop bitterness ending with that sour apple again but it also has a sweet buttery/creamy finish.

M-It is medium bodied with good carbonation.it has a crisp/sharp mouthfeel.

D-Seems to be a fairly drinkalbe beer,spiced like a Winter Warmer but a little low on the % side.I would buy this again.

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)