2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Imperial StoutSamuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-27-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,843 | Reviews: 1,630 | Show All Ratings:
winomark

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

Appearance: Jet black with a substantial foamy brown head.

Aroma: Smells like chocolate licorice. Slightly sweet with toasty and yeasty notes.

Taste: Quite bitter and sour up-front, with a medicinal finish. Some chocolate tones.

Mouthfeel: Dry, but coating. Again, bitterness and sourness dominate.

Drinkability: Not a favorite of mine. Don't like the sourness of this stout.

Tasted blind at the Saint Louis BA tasting 12/14/03

01-24-2004 06:22:56 | More by winomark
TheViolator666

2.78/5  rDev -33.5%

I just don't understand.
Why does everyone go berserk over this brewery? Over the past two nights I've had 3 beers from "good ol'" Sam Smith that have done nothing but disappoint. This being the second stout I've had (first was the highly revered Oatmeal Stout) has followed in this trend. I went into this really wanting to like it... truly hoping that this brewery would offer something that I would like, but no.

That being said, I would buy a keg of this before I thought about taking another sip of Guinness.

550 ml bottle poured into Great Lakes stout glass.

A: Appearance is average. Dark brown/black with a thin brown cap. No lacing is visible.

S: The smell turned me off immediately. It smells like smoked over-salted beef jerky. Reminded me instantly of Guinness... must be something about the United Kingdom, but I really haven't had a stout from across the Atlantic that I've enjoyed in the slightest.

T: At least the taste is an improvement on the smell (or stench). Pretty bitter, surprisingly. A dash of dark fruit sweetness. The hint of coffee flavor saves this one. Hides the 7.00% ABV well. Gets better as it approaches room temperature, as with any stout.

M/D: Why must the UK make thin/bland beers? Too thin for my taste at least, but I guess that's why it goes down so smooth.

I'm no patriot, but fuck bless the USA for making such awesome Imperial Stouts.

08-10-2009 02:16:18 | More by TheViolator666
RedwoodGeorge

2.8/5  rDev -33%

I'm a big Samuel Smith fan so I'm rather surprised at how disappointed I am in this stout...

The pour is promising enough - dark, dark amber with a thin tan head. I wouldn't expect much carbonation with this style and wasn't surprised when the head died down quickly leaving very little lacing along the glass.

The smell is promising enough - plenty of notes of caramel, coffee and a roasted aroma that you'd expect.

The taste was rather one-dimensional. While there were hints of roasted grain in there, this was primarily a treacle and prune drink (which isn't really a good thing) The brew was just shy of being overpoweringly sweet with an overbearing molasses taste accompanied by an equally strong flavor of plums, prunes and raisins. There was very little hops to compliment the thick, sweet flavors leading to a very unbalanced brew.

Mouthfeel was the highlight of the beer - it was almost velvety smooth. Carbonation was low as per the style but if they'd added a few more hops to dry out the palate it would have been near perfect. There was an oily residue left on the tongue but that's to be expected of a heavy stout.

I'm not sure I've rated a beer a 2.0 before but "not impressed" is exactly how I'd describe my experience. I'm a big fan of Samuel Smith's brewery and adore their oatmeal stout so I'm very surprised at how unexciting this brew is. It's heavy bodied and high in alcohol but I was hoping for something more...

07-01-2005 03:24:47 | More by RedwoodGeorge
warmstorage

2.8/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce clear glass bottle, gold foil topped, states 7.0% ABV.

Pours an opaque black with a small amount of medium brown head which dissipates rapidly, leaving little to no lacing.

Aroma is sweet prunes, plums, and indicates higher alcohol that the bottles indicates.

Taste is some sweet fruit, perhaps prunes, a slight bit of chocolate, some roastiness. Definitely thin for the style. A distinct metallic taste from the medium taste all the way through the finish and aftertaste really detracts from everything else; this is something I've noticed in Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout as well.

Mouth is relatively tingly with carbonation, lingers, light to medium physical body.

As disappointing as all the times I've had this beer before. It's just a weak example of the style, notwithstanding Samuel Smith's historical pedigree. I might give it a try again in a year or two, but certainly won't go out of my way to seek it out.

01-19-2007 01:31:15 | More by warmstorage
jar2574

Missouri

2.85/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thought this came in a dark bottle, but after pouring the beer I see that it's clear. That's how dark black this beer is. Very thick caramel colored head. Black beer. No light gets through at all.

Smells of chocolate, licorice, and coffee. Enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the taste reminds me of day-old coffee reheated in the microwave. That said, there is complexity here that others might find intriguing. I just can't stand the taste enough to want to try it again. Tastes like licorice, roasted grain and burnt coffee. Not much hops. Too much roasted flavor and too acidic. A little watery and comes across as a little flat.

As much as I have loved other Samuel Smith beers and want to like this one, I doubt I give it another shot.

06-03-2007 01:15:28 | More by jar2574
cbutova

2.85/5  rDev -31.8%

Pours pitch black with a huge tan three finger head that retains better than almost any beer I have seen, nice and creamy as well. No lacing at all but it might be my glass. Smells of roasted malts and a metallic scent, not liking this metal thing at all. Also some dark sweet fruits in the nose. The taste is out of whack to me. It has nice roasted malts but also has a huge metallic taste, more than any beer I can think of. It kind of throws the balance off and ruins it. After reading other reviews I definitely get soy sauce, yuck. The extremely sweet fruity taste in this beer also does not belong in an imperial stout. Some hops compliment the finish but the sweetness of this beer is way too overwhelming. Also some cocoa behind the metallic sweetness. Mouthfeel is pretty good. Nice and creamy with good carbonation and a coat of that sweetness. No warming really at all. The drinkability here is not good, the sweet/metallic taste is hardly tolerable. The roasted malts save it but I can hardly finish the bottle. The price was very good but I will only try this one again if I really, really don't trust this bottle. The worst part is the appearance was so good I thought I was in for a super cheap Imperial treat.

12-01-2009 04:20:14 | More by cbutova
adamette

2.85/5  rDev -31.8%

Live review. Poured from the 550 ml dark brown bottle with gold foil over the cap. Poured into my Samuel Smith pint glass. Mark on neck of bottle: SD02H1 but I am not sure what that means.

A 4 inch generous medium brown head over a mostly very dark body that shows a bit of dark mahogany light in front of a light bulb. Classic look. 4.5

S Dark roast malt and an unexpected dark fruit smell of dates or raisins. At first I thought this was a sense of alcohol but repeated smells revealed the dark fruit smell. At a minimum the smell is interesting. 4.0

T Well, the taste is directly related to the smell. Dark roast malt, dark fruits carry right into the taste from the smell but added is the wet texture and a rather unwelcome and badly disguised taste of alcohol. 2.5

M More thin than I would have liked. I am spoiled by so many American Craft RIS's and their big, luxurious mouthfeel. 2.0

D Not that good. I finished one pint and it took me a while to conclude what I would do with the remaining until I finally poured it out. 2.5

Notes: Samuel Smith, brewer of some of the most classic beers (Oatmeal Stout, Nut Brown Ale) disappointed me with this one. As suggested, my palate is spoiled by other, much more engaging American craft RIS's.

12-01-2009 05:26:39 | More by adamette
DarkerTheBetter

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

This beer pours black with burgundy highlights with a creamy dark tan head that dissipates quickly.

Smells like sour caramel and smoke.

Tastes like tangy coffee and cough syrup. Finishes with a medicinal sourness. When it warms a bit (as it took so long to stomach it) some hazelnut flavors introduce themselves.

Mouth feel is creamy with small carbonation.

Yuck. I tried drinking this slowly to pick out all of the flavors. I tried gulping it and also I tried letting my mind wander so I could surprise myself with a sip. Either way, this was just not an enjoyable beer. I’ve found a lot of British stouts to be a bit sour, but this is down right un-pleasant. This tastes more like a porter or brown ale, so based off of rating by style, this beer misses the mark.

11-26-2005 14:36:38 | More by DarkerTheBetter
GoodKnight1220

2.88/5  rDev -31.1%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

Very, very dark in color looks black, little to no head.

Smells of heavy alcohol and dark chocolate, smells much like a wine.

Alcohol taste right up front, ending with a very bitter chocolate.

This has a greasy & syrupy mouthfeel.

I could drink one of these in a sitting, and you need to drink this on a cold day.

07-13-2008 18:30:54 | More by GoodKnight1220
freditoj

Alabama

2.9/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance - Very dark color, like a 2 inch head.

Smell - Malty.

Taste - Like soy sauce. I don't know if my beer was bad. When it was served the owner of the store told me it was frozen and gave it to me for free. I understand the beer was damaged.

Mouthfeel - The taste is heavy and strong.

Overall - Don't know what all the fuss is about.

09-01-2012 21:40:26 | More by freditoj
Bruiser81

Kansas

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured a deep brown if not black with a two finger tan head that didn't stick around long. The nose was dominated by fruit, alcohol, and a little maltiness The taste was extremely sweet, almost like a sour sweet. It also had sort of an astringent taste but it wasn't good. The mouthfeel was medium, but I didn't like how it sat on the palate. I'm not sure what the word is maybe tannic? I was disappointed with this brew especially after all the good reviews. Maybe it was skunked. I've never had a skunked beer.

02-13-2003 18:11:34 | More by Bruiser81
tweeder263

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a nice dark beer with tan head,very nice.Aroma of licorice slight alcohol smell not bad.Taste up front is nice ,balanced ,but the lingering bitter afterwards sucks. I had high hopes for this beer and other sam smith beers but now im not quite sure.Nice slick mouthfeel though the taste killed the drinkability of this beer.

12-25-2004 00:33:23 | More by tweeder263
1Adam12

Indiana

2.95/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured this into a beer mug. Very dark with a decent sized carmel colored head on it. Smelled notes of chocolate and maybe just a little bit of coffee. Taste was very light compared to many of the other Imperial Stouts I've tried. Tastes of chocolate and malt, but kind of watery to me, however did have a very nice lingering coffee aftertaste. Ahhhh there's the coffee! At 3.99, this is something I would drink if I wanted an Imperial Stout, but didn't have the money to get anything else

05-14-2011 20:59:19 | More by 1Adam12
semibaked

Kentucky

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours super black with about 2 inches of brown head.

S - First thing I smell is red wine (kinda weird) but also has roasty malts and some syrupy sweetness too.

T - Wow a lot acidic and sharper than I thought it would be, really boozy up front, some hops with some malts and raisin sweetness. Really disappointed in the taste I was expecting a traditional Imperial Stout and I didn't get it.

M - Really smooth and creamy, very nice, too bad the beer doesn't taste better.

D - I am pretty bummed by this, I usually really like Samuel Smith's beer but this is bad stuff. Definitely will not be drinking or buying this again.

03-14-2010 22:48:43 | More by semibaked
Goblinmunkey7

2.98/5  rDev -28.7%

Appearance: Relatively clear super dark brown. Almost black. Pours with a higher than expected carbonation. Head is tan, wispy, and bubbly after a few seconds. Drops to a tiny cap with some points of lacing. Looks a but thin overall.

Smell: Sweet, chewy, burnt chocolate, but more sweet than burnt. Loaded with dark fruit. Plums, ripe cherry, even fig. Super fruity. Lingering alcohol on the back. Hints of vanilla and something that reminds me of oak, but it can't be. Mild earthiness buried in the back. Chocolate malts. Loads of roasted barley. Vague sense of minerals from the water. Soy sauce.

Taste: Roasted. Sharp snap of cocoa and burnt malt. Some minor sweetness. Roasted barley. Chocolate edge is so bitter it's almost acrid. Mineral. Rocks and some sense of earthy hops. Some dark fruit (mostly cherry) mixed with soy sauce and some caramelized sugars. Vaguely nutty. Burnt and sweet as it warms. So much barley.

Mouthfeel: Significantly thinner than I would expect. Carbonation is high and contributes to a body that runs on the light side of medium. Lingering dryness.

Overall: Are we sure this is imperial?

Trying not to compare this to the absurd American Imperial Stout/American RIS is hard. This drinks thinner than most standard American stouts and the British water and yeast are distracting.

10-27-2012 20:45:51 | More by Goblinmunkey7
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

Black in colout with a bit of a red tint. Medium carbonation. Aromas of stewed fruits (especially plums), licorice, and a bit of chocolate. More stewed fruit in the mouth, with some caramel and faint roasted notes becoming apparent closer to the finish. A bit of a boozy note at the end as well. Not nearly as roasty (coffee), chocolaty, or hoppy as the other Imperial stouts that I’ve sampled, which is kind of a drag. I guess I prefer the North American interpretation of this style.

05-24-2006 14:49:33 | More by fisherman34
arturorg

Spain

Served into a Samuel Smith Snifter

I'm almost inclined to not do this review

A: Dark brown with no lace and almost no lace

S: Sweet and roasted coffee, dark chocolate, dark malts. But it wasn't the strongest aroma for a beer, actually it was kind of faint.

T: Almost the same as the smell, it was watery, astringent leaving a dry mouth (but thats very normal in the few imperials stouts that I had) lacks complexity and flavor, again it was kind of faint.

Overall it was an unimpressive beer, kind of a watered down version of a Yeti, de Molen or Hercule. I will try to have it again in order to see if my beer was wrong.

09-09-2010 08:44:13 | More by arturorg
AdamBear

A-black with a thin tan head that thins to almost nothing

S-smells strong. boozey, some scent of mocha. intimidating.

T-comes in with a slightly boozey taste of baking chocolate and very dark malts. there's also a taste of dark fruits such as plums and dates. the after-taste is matching. has a burnt taste to it.

M-low carbonation. slightly watery. watery finish

O-a decent tasting stout that seems to have a lot of loose ends. the tastes are alright, but not very drinkable. the burnt taste seemed to be over dominating. it just isn't something i want a lot of.

09-16-2011 02:22:17 | More by AdamBear
twiggamortis420

3.05/5  rDev -27%

Large bottle calls for a large oversized widemouth mug, right?

This beer is black. Very rich 3 finger head lingers on and on and on...not overly viscous though.

Heavy malts, dark raspberries and dark chocolate on the nose.

Hmmm, one of the fruitier RIS I have had...has me wondering if this bottle might be a bit off. Not overly malty like I was expecting. I taste wheat bread, burnt toffee, a bit bitter. Full body and mouthfeel.

This one does not do it for me...I will gladly take a Rasputin or a Storm King over this any day.

07-22-2008 04:04:07 | More by twiggamortis420
TheBeerAlmanac

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a translucent black with very little head.

S: There is some coffee in the aroma but not much else. Maybe it was just my bottle, but I was really surprised at the lack of odor. Hell, make the cap out of chocolate or something, I don’t know, just give me more.

T: Fortunately, it tastes good…for a porter. It has a medium amount of carbonation and a smooth body. There are notes of coffee and a nutty finish. As far as beer goes, it’s a solid offering. As far as imperial stouts go, it’s about as bland as it gets.

Don’t expect a true, strong imperial experience with this one, just take it for what it is. And that is a good, smooth beer. With gold foil. Shiny, gold foil.

06-16-2011 02:38:25 | More by TheBeerAlmanac
beeragent

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poures a deep brown, forming no head with very little carbonation, leaving a few spots of lace on the glass. The aroma is a mix of roasted malts, and light raisins. The taste is light coffee, a little roasted malt, and a good amount of, what tastes like raisins. Thick mouthfeel, with a smooth finish. Overall, I wasnt really impressed with this stout. I've tried a few other RIS, but this one just didnt measure up. Its not a bad beer, but for the style, It was a let down, but then again, maybe I just got a bad batch. I will have to try it again in the future.

03-11-2007 08:20:31 | More by beeragent
wheelinshirt

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Very cool looking 550 mL brown bottle, gold foil neck, purchased from the cooler at Capone's in Norristown for $6. No freshness date.

Pours rich and dark with a very light tan head, good size, creamy, slowly fades to a half-finger of foam and then just a collar by the end of the beer. Some lacing.

Smell is some very restrained alchohol and roasted malt, followed by some dark fruit which seems a bit unusual. I'm not sure what it is from, perhaps the yeast. This is followed and then dominated by a very unpleasant metallic odor that just wouldn't quit.

Taste is right on par with what you would expect from a RIS albeit a bit more subtle than normal. The roasted and burnt malt flavors, the fruity and booziness are all there but in proportion to the 7% ABV. Nice tasting, but not great. It is hard to get over the metallic nose but it doesn't really show up in the taste.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium-heavy. Definately good for a stout. Not over or under carbonated and definately not too thick.

The drinkability really takes a hit from the metallic smell. It is a good beer, and at 7% would almost be sessionable for the stout lover, but I didn't enjoy the bottle enough to want another. If I see it somewhere and I know it is fresh I will probably give it another try. I may have gotten a bad bottle or just one that was past its time, but without a freshness date it is hard to say.

12-20-2008 16:25:11 | More by wheelinshirt
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle sample- pours jet black with frothy tan head. Nose- dark fruit and chocolate. Taste- very fruity, plums, raisins, chocolate and slight alcohol taste. Medium to low carbonation. Finish is bitter chocolate, maybe a touch of hops, but not much. Mostly a roast free, fruit forward stout. I prefer less fruity notes, so drinkability suffers somewhat. Quite light bodied for style.

04-04-2009 23:34:08 | More by oakbluff
TheAlamoWrocker

3.1/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a 550 mL bottle into a Blue Star Brewery Pint Glass.

Appearance

Pours a beautiful black with hardly any reddening around the edges. The only shade of red that this has is on its base, but on it's sides it's beautifully black. I can easily say that this is the blackest thing in my room and is easily one of the best looking stouts I've seen. Sadly the head comes one fingered and goes, but a small remnant stays on top and it reminds me of delicious coffee.

Smell

This oddly just smells lightly coffee-like. It does have some toffee notes, but I can't pick up the chocolate that I'm used to in a Russian Imperial Stout.

Taste

This hits the usual coffee notes that I'm used to in a Russian Imperial Stout, but it misses out on the sweetness that I'm used to from one. Roasted malts are present. There is oddly what seems like a alcoholic dark chocolate to this.

Mouthfeel

The mouthful is creamy and nicely smooth. The only carbonation this feels like it has is whatever of the head hits the palate.

Overall

This feels like a standard Russian Imperial Stout. It's far from anything special, but it's a nice starter to the style. I guess if I wanted a roasted malty coffee this would be a nice choice, but it's hard to find a time to enjoy something like this. If this was possible to drink while studying then that would be the best time, but I'm studying! The best time to enjoy this drink is probably the worst.
If you are going with a Samuel Smith then the Oatmeal Stout is a far better stout than this one in my opinion.

09-30-2011 20:40:44 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
jeonseh

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

From a bottle poured into my Snifter Glass.

A - poured into the snifter and left a small, off white head that didn't last long and then just sat on the top. when poured it was a black color but it actually looked a bit thin for an RIS

S - smelled a bit of milk, figs and dates, and also a hint of pepper and smokiness that reminded me a bit of beef jerky. Also smells a bit like a manhattan cocktail in that it smells like vermouth and alcoholic cherries.

T - the taste on the whole is at first rather smoky and roasty to me. I noticed that there is is very peppery and even a bit like a hickory taste to it. A light chocolate flavor also seems to pop. Even reminds me a bit of a beef broth or something. There is also a slight hint of the date flavor that I picked up in the nose that is mixed in with a bit of a tart orange flavor that also seems to pop out in the end of the taste; however the full meaty flavors are what I noticed that most.

MF - Very thick and full feeling brew. I think the body of this adds to the fact that it reminds me of eating beef jerky. it is a mouth full of thick breadiness that just sits there in the mouth and even makes me feel full in the stomach. This almost makes this beer feel like a meal in itself.

D - overall an average RIS that doesn't really seems to have the complexities of some of the other RISs that I have had. It is huge on the smoky characters and does not taste bad but has nothing beyond that that makes this beer stick out. Plus as noted in the MF section it is so thick in the mouth and the body and maybe even mixed in with the smoky taste that makes this hard to have more than one in my opinion.

03-14-2008 04:00:22 | More by jeonseh
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)