Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Imperial StoutSamuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 02-27-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,359 | Reviews: 1,687
3.49/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. Before I even comment on the categories above, I just want to say the beer SOUNDS good -- like pouring a fresh bottle of wine.

Appearance: HUGE light brown head and deep, impenetrably brown body.

Smell: It kinda smells like wine too, like a chocolate wine. Not totally in a good way -- too much booze. Besides the booze is sweet brown malt and no discernible hops.

Taste: The taste definitely follows the nose, although slightly more pleasantly so. It is a bit "grapey." There's a good mix of dark barley, plenty of sugar, a little booze, and maybe a hint of English hops. Nice, but not mindblowing.

Mouthfeel: It's got a good, full feeling and a good dose of carbonation. The alcohol is warm, but not hot, and kinda trails into the back of the mouth.

Overall: It didn't really have the depth I wanted. It's good, but I feel like it's trying to mimic to the flavor palette of oak-aged stouts too much. It's too sweet, not really balanced out by anything except a touch of alcohol.

Truly an exceptional beer. Smoked chocolate coffee notes, slighly bitter yet sweet. Creamy & rich. Pitch black like most stouts against a medium brown head. The head slowly dissipates down to about an 1/8 inch and stays there. Goes down like a glass of milk. Are you worthy?

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

550 mL bottle poured into a dimpled mug.

Dark body, pillowy brown head that dissipated quickly. A thin layer of foam stayed around for quite a while.

Smelled liked dark sugar (think brown sugar, rum, or molasses). Taste was very similar, but also had noticeable fruit tones and tasted a lot like the burnt/almost burnt underside of homemade bread -- the part that was touching a pan and got a little too brown. That was mostly in the back of the tongue. The front was roasted malts and english hops (not spicy or bitter, but... just there).

It gave me a nice warm feeling. I didnt keep this in the fridge when I bought it today, but rather stuck it in my cabinet under the counter. It looked really thick and viscous when it poured into the glass, but it didnt feel too thick when drunk. There was noticeable carbonation, but not too much. You could leave it in your mouth for a while without getting that bubbly feeling on your tongue.

Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

The last time I drank a Samuel Smith's was about a year ago. They were some of the beers that made me start to get into good quality brews. When I trying to decide what beer to get last time I was at my local store I remembered that I hadn't yet reviewed Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout, and since I'm such a big fan of imperial stouts I couldn't so no! I'll probably pass out from drinking this but whatever.

It pours a foamy tan head that dissipates quickly and smells of chocolate, coffee, sweet malt, and a bit of liquorice.

This is a good imperial stout. It's full of flavor with roasted coffee dominating and then chocolate and coffee bitterness balancing it out. It feels more carbonated than recent imperial stouts I've had but is still smooth. I'd like it to be more syrupy but this is still worth a buy. Try it with steak!

3.01/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a nice dark beer with tan head,very nice.Aroma of licorice slight alcohol smell not bad.Taste up front is nice ,balanced ,but the lingering bitter afterwards sucks. I had high hopes for this beer and other sam smith beers but now im not quite sure.Nice slick mouthfeel though the taste killed the drinkability of this beer.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

a - black as midnight. seriously, it's about 10:30 and i'm looking outside and there is more light out there than there is getting into this beer! good head with good lacing.

s - malts malts malts!!

t - chocolate, raisins, dates, prunes, creams, i can go on and on and on!! lots of stuff going on here! quite wonderful.

m - heavy medium bodied brew with an alright finish but not the greatest.

d - not as good as the oatmeal stout. that's probablly the most important thing to note. if you've never had either go with the other one first then try this. it's definately a good winter beer. went great with some chocolate chip cookies!

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

A- Pours black with a light tan head. Not much in terms of head retention or lacing.

S- The smell is outstanding and incredibly unique! Sweet gold or dark rum and dark fruits (mostly raisins with a little fig). Vanilla comes through quite clearly as well as molasses. Hints of brown sugar, caramel, and a mild spiciness are also noticeable.

T- Unfortunately not as good as its smell. The smell is so intense and the flavor seems to be a dumbed-down version of the smell. It reminds me of rum-raisin ice cream with the following flavors: rum, raisins, vanilla, and sweet cream. Molasses and caramel also make an appearance. A generous dose of malty flavor is also detected. The flavor is complex and good, but somewhat watered down.

M- A little thin for a RIS, but thick enough and moderately carbonated. Crisp finish with a lingering aftertaste.

D- I split the bomber, but I feel like I could easily drink the whole thing and maybe finish a second one.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Well...I have to give it a 5 for appearance cause you just can't barely see through this beer. Held directly against a 60watt lightbulb reveals just barely a deep deep reddish/auburn hue. This beer is black and proud of it. Really appropriate carbonation and a beautiful head that leaves a touch of lacing on the glass.

Incredible nose. Just incredible. Strikes me as rich rich bitter chocolate. My favorite kind. Some really nice nuttiness there too. A definately some winey notes. You get the signature sam smith notes times 100. Really really nice.

Really fantastic flavors too. Not quite perfect...but really freakin' good. Definately some strong chocolate malts and some roasted notes too. Very pleasing bitterness. Just right. Fairly strong bitterness, but it really just balances out the rich dark malts nicely. Get the standard Sam Smith flavors as well. Really a wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is right on the money. Perfect.

I could drink this beer all day long. Really one of my favorites. Warming yet not overwhelming. Rich and complex to keep one interested but not bewildering.

This might be the best deal at my local store: $2.99 for a 550ml bottle. WOW.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured an almost black with a foamy tan head. Smell was huge, with roasted malt, burnt toast, dark chocolate, hints of alcohol, I could smell this all day. Taste was almost unbeliveable, with black licorice, dark fruit, dark chocolate, roated malts, very complex, so many flavours, a little over-whelming though. Mouthfeel was like velvet. I had no idea a stout could be this good.

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Unknown production

Dark, with only the slightest of ruby accents hidden away. Very aromatic with nice notes of sweet soy & roast. Well-carbonated, this will lend itself to easy drinking coupled with a relatively thin body & well concealed alcohol. Nutty, mildly hoppy, and not nearly as dense as I would have hoped for, or expected. Recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fantastic brew. Rich, black color with a cafe au lait head that fades to a magical ring around the liquid. A slightly spicy, chocolatey, burnt fruit taste that gives way to a smooth sweetness, finishing just a tad dry and bitter. Man oh man, is this complex. And balanced. Truly an imperial treat!

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Very, very dark brown bordering on black with a huge brown head. The head dies back to a cap that persists.

Some sweetness, some roastiness and maybe a little hops in the aroma. All of that is layered with something that doesn't remind me of beer at all but of a mocha. Very pleasant.

Sweet, rich malts. Some mocha again - both coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Nowhere near as much roastiness as I was expecting but there's a lingering bitterness that I wish were lessened a little. There's also a mineral character that actually works very well here.

Moderately viscous with enough carbonation to cut through the bittersweet flavors and get my tongue ready for more.

I wasn't expecting much from this considering all of the chatter about roastiness and my less that stellar experiences with other stouts and porters. I was pleasantly surprised! Not sure how often I'll buy it as I'm not sure if the style is for me - roasty character doesn't seem to be one of my favorites, though it's not as bad as excessive bitterness or hoppiness - but not sorry I got it either.

3.74/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)