Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Imperial StoutSamuel Smith's Imperial Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-27-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

A very nice, very roasted imperial stout. Almost no carbonation. A beautiful roasted malt flavor with a slight hop balance. Roasted malt flavor persists throughout the finish. slightly heavy but the flavor picks up the alcholol warmth leaves off. a top notch imperial stout

Jables, Aug 22, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is dark amber, with excellent head. The smell is very malty, with hints of anise sweetness. The taste is malty, with the slight hints of licorice sweetness...much more subdued than the American Imperial Stouts for sure. Mouthfeel is fairly heavy. As for drinkability, at only 7% I could have many of these.

As a top 10 beer, I've been wanting to try this one for a long time, and it was surely worth the wait. Though it's a lower ABV than the monster American Imperial stouts, it still stands up with them, and at 7% ABV, I can drink a lot more of em!

beergeek279, Aug 20, 2003
4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance – Absolutely gorgeous! The body is black as night. The volcanic head rises slowly, collapses slowly, and laces extensively.

Smell – Highly refined coffee aroma. There’s a special, highly-prized shaded Columbian bean that a coffee bar by my house serves occasionally, and this has the same scent. There’s also huge toffee (which I love), again, highly refined. We also have hints of chocolate, dark fruit (prunes, I think), sticky molasses, brown sugar, (slightly) burnt malt, and even some hops for balance.

Taste – There’s a lot going on in there. It has a bitter English balance that I can’t quite finger, but basically you’ve got a wonderful mix of fine coffee, select toffee truffles, quality raw, and brown sugar. There’s also a whole array of fruits, mostly dark, let by prunes and maybe dates.

Mouthfeel – Little carbonation in accordance with the style. This one is a bit bigger than medium-bodied and very smooth.

Drinkability – This one is very well done. My preferences tend to be off the balance that they did here, but this is a good RIP nevertheless.

Update – This was one of the first reviews that I did after joining the site in the fall of 2003 but decided to re-rate this with an ’04 vintage after it bombed in a blind RIP tasting that I did with some friends. It stood out as one of the worst examples of the style and most of us actually dumped it in the sink.

This RIP does well as a stand-alone, but other prominent examples were so much bigger and more flavorful that this seemed like a lightweight. Sam Smith’s strong point is its smoothness and creamy mouthfeel, but a lot of the big boys were able to attain the same or even better feel with superior flavors.

RoyalT, Aug 19, 2003
4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a dark cola like color,a head that looked and smelled like a chocolate soda, aroma seemed soft and disappeared quickly. Initial taste was cocoa and sweet port, with a roasted malt aftertaste. Mouthfeel started off crisp with tingly bubbles, and then melted into a creamy smoothness.A little bitterness showed up at the end. Will try to always keep one in stock.

grynder33, Aug 14, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Before I get into the bits and pieces, let me just say, Wow.

OK.

Black-brown body, thick tan head that is slow to fade. Aroma is sweet, sort of like deep cocoa from a distance.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, fabulous, and noteworthy. Creamy! Foamy!

The taste starts off like chocolate and ends with hops, with a sour and sweet mix lingering in the aftertaste.

I had been told that this was the grandfather of all imperial stouts, and I concur. A must-try.

Darkale, Aug 06, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a pitch black with a real nice creamy head,aroma is of dried fruit and some nuttiness.The taste is a little spicey and nutty with some chocolate undertones a real nice warming beer to drink before bed.This and the Taddy are my favorite Samual Smith ales.

oberon, Aug 03, 2003
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Every sip I take makes me like this beer more and more. I had 4.0's across the board until I began to realize how good this beer really is. The nose on this beer has a rare and enticing blend of smoky caramel and robust alcohol, it makes me want to dive right in. The expected taste, however, does not fully portray it's smell. It is a surprisingly easy beer to drink, with complexities of mild yet rich maltiness with a perfect mix of subtle carbonation. The mouthfeel is like silk on the tongue, and it lingers there for a great duration before exiting with a desirable sweetness. It is simply outstanding. I have to sample other quality Imperial's before I move this one into the 5.0 range, but right now, I am feeling a bit guilty that I haven't already done so.

beernuts4u, Jul 29, 2003
4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

Whoa!...This is one delicious brew. The bottle had the typical gold wrapping around the top like the other Sam Smith's I've had, and a hypnotizing white label. Poured nice and smooth and appeared jet black in the glass like most good imperials. Very little head on this one. Smelled of coffee and perhaps a hint of chocolate, though neither was overwhelming. Perfect milky smooth mouthfeel, I wanted to 'swish' it around in my mouth before drinking! A lot of flavor and very, very smooth. That Samuel Smith smoothness that I love only complimented the imperial style 'bite' that comes with some of the stronger imperials. I had to go with a 5 on the drinkability on this one, and I rarely give 5s. I did not want to put this one down. Did I mention that it was smooth??!! Alcohol not noticeable until the finish when an ever so slight alcohol warmth caps off a fine, no, very fine brew from Samuel Smith.

kevinl6, Jul 28, 2003
3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer looked amazing. It was pitch black. I poured it into a tall pilsener glass, which was good because it had a huge head that took forever to discipate before I could take a sip. The head simmered down but stayed with a nice layer over the top of the beer.

It had a very roasty sweet smell to it. It was quite pleasant.

The taste was very unique, very roasty and coffy like.It had a sweet taste too. The alcohol was perfect, it was not overwhelming but you could tell it is there.

The mouthfeel was excellent, a nice thick and smooth beer.

This was a very good beer however the ability to have more than one in a sitting would almost be impossible. I guess that is the only problem with Imperial Stouts.

Ellbert, Jul 25, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a deep, dark mahogany red, almost black with a nice tan head. This is one good looking brew. Smell is of a strong english bitter, with tons of british style hopping, and coffee, chocolate smell that is more in the background. taset is good & delicate, with a very buttery mild coffee taste. Creamy butter dominates this brew. It's got a fairly light mouthfeel for a stout that lets the taste linger forever, and believe me this is a good thing. Very drinkable, I could quaff this all night.

avylover, Jul 24, 2003
3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

This pours black with little head, but good lacing. Smells wonderful. Taste is of strong roasted malt, with chocolate and coffee present. This is very full bodied, a good "sipping beer". Distinct in the aftertaste is alcohol mixed with sweet burnt coffee. This is an excellent stout, although not in my price range. One word sums it up; WOW.

Rifrafboy, Jul 21, 2003
4.13/5  rDev -1%

This has a good overall taste to it and many flavors. But it doesn't knock my socks off like some other imperial's have. Lots of very sweet flavors. Chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, plums and a little bit of malt bitterness (but not enough). Great array of flavors that mix well. Finishes dry and roasted. The body is too thin for this to be an imperial. Don't get me wrong this is a great tasting beer, but it just seems a little weak to be an imperial stout.

granger10, Jul 15, 2003
4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

I admit I was skeptical. A clear bottle is usually trouble. But this time-no skunk. I trusted everybody else's ratings. This is one fine stout.

I did not chill this much. Probably 55F. Pours absolutely dark with a nice thin head. Pretty tan head about a quarter of an inch thick. More carbonated bite than I expected. Not very dry. Very intense roasted malt flavor. Chocolate and coffee also. Some hops make it through all that in the finish. Believe me there is a lot to taste here, but smooth is the word. Don't pass this up

daledeee, Jul 12, 2003
3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Originally sampled on 24 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. Opaque black w/ a frothy head that settles down quickly, this Imperial Stout has more of the 'coffee' taste than other I.S.'s I've tried. I didn't think that the overall taste was that strong. Also, the alcohol wasn't well hidden. A decent imperial stout, but I prefer others.

jcalabre, Jul 11, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. clear (blah) bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a jet black color with 1 thick finger of light tan foam. There is a slight bit of lacing. The smell is sweet and nutty, full of burnt malt too. The taste is heavy roasted malt with coffee and caramel lingering in the background. There is just a little bit of hops on the back of the tongue for balance. The mouthfeel is thick and very smooth. The drinkability is pretty nice for 7%. The benchmark for all imperials!

SheepNutz, Jul 07, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

To my thinking, this is the standard against which other Imperial Stouts should be rated. Nice sustained head with a lovely chocolate-brown color. Smell is of malt and chocolate, with a little coffee overtone. Taste is velvety smooth, starts with malt at the front, then the waves of chocolate, molasses, and roasted espresso kick in. Just superb!!

euskera, Jul 07, 2003
4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

I now know why this is the quintessence of Imperial Stouts. It is finely balanced, sweet and bitter all at the same time. A real treat to drink.It poured jet black except the very bottem where there was a thin sliver of scarlet light. There was a thin, tan, rocky head pearched on top and the lace clung to the sides. Upon smelling my nose immediatly picked up huge, roasty malts and extreme smoked bitterness. The Imperial Stout slunk down my throat coating it with an abundance of flavors. The tip of my tongue was tickled by hop bitterness, which rolled into a heavy dose of sweet chocolate malts balanced with caramel. The taste was rounded out at the end with a chalky, dry aftertaste and a warming alcohol feeling in the back of my throat. The mouthfeel was not extremely heavy as I would have expected and had a tiny bubble carbonation, which delighted my tongue. One question though, why the clear bottle?

GreatPondBrewer, May 29, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +9.8%

Magnificent! This imperial stout is luscious and smooth and complex. It pours an unfathomable deep brown, but it is neither oily nor viscous. The dark tan head lofts it way upwards tantalizingly and then recedes deliberately into a fine buckskin blanket over the insides of the entire glass. The smell is slightly sweet, molasses and dark cherry balancing the mossy darkness of the stout. But the mouthfeel--it's like a down comforter on a cold, crisp night. And a taste to match--smoked toffee from start to finish with the subtle sweetness emerging from time to time as I savour every sip.

longpondbeerman, May 29, 2003
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured slightly chilled and perhaps a bit shaken after being in the back of the car on the drive back from Whole Foods, where the grocer mentioned he had heard this was a great Imperial Stout.

It pours out pitch dark, and has a very nice (and potent) taste. The smell didn't rouse me much, but the beer has a perfect mouthfeel.I was also impressed by the smooth aftertaste. It's much more drinkable than most other bears with this strong of a smokey flavor. I'm not a big fan of this type of beers, but won't hesitate to have another.

quidquam, May 26, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +5%

Pours a dark black with a nice sized tan head. Nice coffee/roasted malt smell. The taste is the shit. Light coffee flavours with a little chocolate, roasted malt, toffee and alcohol added in the mix. Also a bit metallic. Rich medium texture, not too heavy, creamy and just right. the drinkability is awesome since it isn't too strong to put you off flavour wise, and that it has a nice balance of alcohol, enough to warm you up but not so much you have troube finishing your 4 pack. delicious.

DESTRO, May 26, 2003
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Bought locally (Grapevine refrigerated shelves), a couple of weeks in my fridge, reviewed 45F-70F.

A medium-small, noisy tan head dies fast giving up thin, uneven lacing. Dark ruby highlights show up on the edges of a black, black beer.

Sweet toffee and molasses dominate the bready, Brit-malt nose. Some grapes show up in the slightly sweet front. The middle is thick, thick, buttery and thick. Toffee sticks around throughout. The finish dries, but it's a little cloying and a little astringent. This is a very good, unique beer that's really a lot better at room temp, where it evens out and becomes the delicious treat it's meant to be.

kbub6f, May 25, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

I've had this before several years ago and haven't tried it again until now. Very impressive stout and a sweet surprise. Poured very dark almost black with short but tight tan head. Smell of roasted malt and usual english hop nose. Feels like velvet on my tongue and one of the smoothest stouts in recent memory. Taste is malty and rich with chocolate and roasted malt prevailing. Great to the finish.

BierReise, May 21, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Wow, what a great Imperial Stout. I mean this is what I've always imagined. Amazingly dark body with brown head. Sweet malty base is balanced with chocolate, coffee, and hopped up undertones. This is both sweet and crisp. The lower alcohol percent gives you a chance to drink the entire four-pack without same effects of a 10% Imperial Stout.

irishmoss, May 21, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -34.5%

This beer pours a very dark color with a dark medium head. The aroma is full of scents of alcohol as well as some chocolaty malts. The taste is of burned malts and licorice and the alcohol is not extremely well masked as well as very dry tasting. The dry and burned malt stick around in the aftertaste. This beer is fairly easy to drink for an imperial stout, but not being a fan of imperial stouts, I would not have more than one.

clvand0, May 02, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +8.6%

This wonderful brew pours a deep, dark brown. So dark it is nearly black. The deep brown color is wonderfully complemented with a thick, fluffy, creamy, biege head that tasted nearly the entire beer. Aromas of malt, chocolate, and coffee waft from the nose. The nose leads the blessed drinker to tastes of coffee, chocolate, malt, and hints of caramel. There are also delicate hops to even out the flavor and leave a slight bitterness like that of a mild coffee.

My only two wishes with this beer were that my palatte and nose were more developed to detect more delights hinden inside this brown treasure chest and that I didn't have to drvie two hours each way to get this wonderful beer.

I have a new favorite brew and Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout be thy name!

Loki, Apr 30, 2003
Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)