Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.
to view more.
Ratings: 2,511 | Reviews: 481
4.13/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

550ml bottle into a snifter glass
Notes from 11/01/2014

A: Dark mahogany and a touch thin on the pour. Settles closer to a near pitch in the glass with a vibrant khaki foam pillow that comes to rest on top. Real impressive hang time with a few broken rings of lace running down the glass.

S: Smells like some high quality chocolate syrup. I get a good dose of melted candy chocolate kind of like tootise roll. Brownie batter comes to mind. Some light roast to it with a waft of dark caramels.

T: Super light and creamy milk chcolate or chocolate milk. Take your pick. Cocoa with understated coffee notes and some rootbeer or vanilla like flavor. The beer has a slight chalky powder and artifical candy likeness to it albeit a fairly minor nuisance. Virtually no bitterness to this and not all that sweet which is welcomed. Like a friggin' chocolate soda.

M: Super light with a creamy and lush feel. Turns slightly chalky towards the finish but has a nice drying componenet to round it out.

D: Really great for the price and for those looking to satsify those chocolate cravings. Very approachable in that its not too sweet and not too heavy at all. Like a liquid tootsie.

It's a solid beer. Has more of a chocolate tobacco taste in my opinion.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Samuel Smith has been making their beers for hundreds of years and has their stuff together. Consistently perfect in everyway.

4.66/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great flavorful stout. Nice chocolatey after taste. A+

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Chocolatey smooth. I loved it.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A solid chocolate stout. Very smooth with a good chocolate flavor!

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Rich, decadent aroma is primarily chocolate with an undertone of brandy and fruit - like sniffing a Hershey bar that’s been dipped into Grand Marnier. Pours a deep, warm, opaque sable with a thick and rather persistent light tan head. Flavor fills the mouth with sweet chocolate, fruity and brandy notes plus hints of roast malt and caramel. Smooth, syrupy texture has firm body and a good amount of fizz. A perfect dessert beer, lip-smacking and most enjoyable.

Chocolate it certainly is, good tasting beer for when you have a sweet tooth, not to sweet though. Some might compare it to chocolate milk, I am not to sure about that. But it does make a good beer for a mixer.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I don't really NEED chocolate in my beer, but I have to admit, this was pretty enjoyable.

4.93/5  rDev +16.5%

Excellent beer, very well balanced, great taste, can't complain about anything always have this in the fridge

4.91/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer isn't perfect but i would say that it exceeded almost every expectation i had for it.

Pros:
Deep rich body and flavor. Chocolate taste really comes through. Smells amazing and tastes every bit as good. Is not as bitter as some stouts but still a true stout flavor. Has a full alcohol content..... But it's no imperial stout. You might need a smoke and a nap after.

Cons:
Explosive upon opening. Best to open standing straight up. Might be too sweet for some. Has a bubbly head but not what I expected for a stout. Still..... It's just a visual issue. Sometimes hard to pair with food. Better as a dessert beer.

3.34/5  rDev -21%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

was excited to try this one due to previous reviews. however was quite a bit sweeter then i was expecting and didnt have the body that i usually look for in a stout

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My personal favorite beer. Don't expect any sweetness, but if you do have cravings for chocolate and alcohol this will more than suit your needs.

The look is similar to Guennis, as it has a typical stout look. It's not my favorite aesthetic as far as beer goes, but it plays its part quite well in this department.

The scent is the purest chocolate scent you could ever dream of. If I had to smell a beer, I would want it to be this one. I am a chocolate fanatic, and the first time I cracked this bottle I was amazed at how the chocolate tone filled the room. It's not exactly a beer smell, and not exactly a candy smell. You can definitely tell it's chocolate, though, and it demands that you take a drink. Very powerful scent. My favorite.

Considering that this is a stout, known for bitterness and harshness, the flavor is surprisingly kind to your taste-buds. You will taste the chocolate immediately, and then it fades into a bitter stout flavor typical of its kind. It isn't a very complex flavor, as it does its best to emphasize the chocolate. It's somewhere between devil's food cake and a baker's bar. Bottom line is, lots of quality chocolate on the taste.

Not a big fan of the way stouts feel. This is a very heavy beer, and it lingers in your mouth until it begins to sour, which is why I knocked of points for taste.

Overall, my favorite craft beer. This is something I would show up to a friend's house with on game night so that they drink one and quit so that I can save the rest for myself. If you're not crazy about chocolate you might want to skip this one. If you are crazy about chocolate however, and happen to also love beer, this is an awesome brew. Just drink it slowly.

3.3/5  rDev -22%

Got this in a sampler pack with the India Ale and Oatmeal Stout. Wouldn't have bought it on my own as I'm not much of a stout drinker. As printed on the bottle... smooth chocolate flavor, not very bitter. If that's your thing then it's a great beer. Just OK for me.

Very strong chocolate taste great beer

4.86/5  rDev +14.9%

Tasty beer a must for any chocolate stout lover

4.12/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent chocolate stout. Imagine boiling down chocolate chips and inhaling a big whiff of chocolate goodness - it is similar to the smell of SSOCS, with a hint of malt tossed in for good measure. The dark brown brew has a modest head that shrinks to a ring of small bubbles around the outside of my glass that remaining throughout the beer. The taste is lead by chocolate, and although it is excellent, there is a hint of something being off - a fake quality, but I am being very picky. Mouthfeel is Smooth and silky. An outstanding beer.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

like carbonated chocolate milk, don't know if it would work as a desert beer on its own due to the over-carbonation but this paired phenomenally with alden's chocolate, chocolate chip ice cream.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Amazing!!! My new favorite beer. I definitely recommend this beer.

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

This is the best chocolate stout I have ever tasted. Love it

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - 550 mL bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. The head and lacing are probably the best I've ever seen in a beer. Beautiful tan head that just stays around forever. Pours an opaque ruby red/black. One the best looking beers I've ever seen.

Smell - heavy chocolate, sweet cream, sugar, barley.

Taste - bitter cocoa, sweet chocolate, cream.

Feel - very creamy/velvety & goes down super easy

Overall - a very good world-class beer, but a tad too sweet for my palate to consider it one of my all-time bests.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Good beer, poured in a pint and let it rest for a while. Tastes great, good for dessert. Great for a day after work

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

While I'm not much of a stout fan, I can't help but love this beer. Very light and easy mouthfeel; not as heavy and dry as some stouts, and makes for a great desert as much as it does a breakfast addition.

4.11/5  rDev -2.8%

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and I since I'm in the mood for a Chocolate Stout I thought this would be a good choice, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a little over a fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up and it dominates the aroma with of this beer with a nice fudge like aroma and some chocolate syrup like aromas. Up next comes just a slight roasted malt and sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a really nice aroma that was just dominated by the chocolate.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up and it's just as dominating as it was in the aroma and it imparts those same fudge and chocolate syrup aspects. Up next comes the roasted malts which show up just a little more than they did in the aroma and there's some sweet malts showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and lots of chocolate showing up in the aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer that lives up to it's name.

M- Very smooth, rich, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer has a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style. it had everything that I look for in a Chocolate Stout and while it wasn't the most balanced I thought those nice chocolate aspects made up for it. This beer had good drinkability, it was very smooth, rich, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these and it would be a nice beer to enjoy during the cold weather. What I like the most about this beer is the chocolate aspect, it's very nice and it's just what I want in a chocolate stout. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness, it wasn't bad, but it was just a little on the sweet side for me. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a chocolate stout and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style. All in all I liked this beer, it isn't something that I could drink all the time, but it's nice for when I want my chocolate fix. It's now my favorite beer from this brewery and it's one of the best chocolate stouts I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep it up.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Smooth sweet taste. No bitterness at all. It's just liquid goodness!

to view more.
Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)