Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout | Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

YOUR RATING = None |

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

Added by rangerred on 10-16-2012

Reviews: 540 | Ratings: 2,970
Reviews by Tr0janSlay3r:
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

1.94/5  rDev -53.7%

I hated it. I was expecting a roasted dry cocoa flavor. Instead it tasted like Newcastle with Hershey's chocolate syrup added. Very disappointed. One of the few beers I was not able to finish. If you are not into sweets STAY AWAY. Expensive beer and not worth it in my opinion.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

This chocolate Stout is different to any other I've tasted and its quite magnificent. Very indulgent , it is quite luxurious . An Aussie mate of mine , tried it for the first time the other night , and is raving about it !!.
As mentioned elsewhere , if I wanted to be really picky ...a touch too sweet for my taste

Wont stop me buying more of course

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

I have a rule that I don't give a perfect score until I try more beers but this beer is practically perfect. What is missing in this beer? Anyone? When it is poured into a glass it has a great head, it is inky black, the aroma is among the best I've ever smelled (smells like dark chocolate candy), and that taste is amazing. I've been scared drinking chocolate beers because I've been worried that they would be very bitter, since Cocoa is natural very bitter. This beer is blended so well, it minimizes the bitters with a creamy sweetness (think a creamer, like is used in coffee). Wow, this stuff is amazing. The only negative is the price. That's the one negative I can think of, it was $5 for a bottle.

I'm not a big fan of stouts. They are usually just too thick and strong for me (flavor wise). This is almost perfection in a bottle. I think this is my highest rated beer as of now.

4.37/5  rDev +4.3%

Samuel Smith Old Brewery - Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout. 5% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into standard pint glass.

Look: Pitch black, with dark amber highlights when pouring. Thin light tan head from semi aggressive pour, and dissipated into trace amounts of lacing.

Smell: Very strong dark chocolate and cocoa, with dark malts; reminds me of the aroma of hot chocolate.

Feel: Very rich and thick bodied, and very smooth and creamy, with a good amount of carbonation.

Taste: Rich dark chocolate, and semi sweet cocoa, and dark malt. Also has a unique taste from what I assume is the well water is brewed with.

Overall: Another great beer from Samuel Smith's Brewery. Incredible taste, feel, and aroma from this stout; very pleasant and extremely easy to drink. One of my favorites.

4.56/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Scored this one for a few bucks at the local bottle shop.Never had Sam's Chocolate Stout before, but I have had his Oatmeal Stout and it was pretty good.

Look: Dark cola, pouring with about two fingers of rocky head.

Smell: Lots and lots of chocolate Really sweet, almost syrupy.

Taste: Almost like a coffee with some chocolate. Feint alcohol finish.

Feel: Super smooth.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer and easily a top 5 for me.

4.82/5  rDev +15%

A- Pours a cola colored dark brown with just slight clarity and the head is an amazing caramel color with rich dense bubbles and the retention is superb! The original two finger thick head finally settles into a film over the brew itself and the lacing is quite well done with strings and small patches of soapy foam clinging to the side of my glass! The carbonation is too hard to see but I'm sure it will be nice....overall a very nice looking sweet Stout!

S- This is simply an awesome smelling ale! Sweet cocoa/dark chocolate nibs are so dominant that I sense that I'm going into a great organic bar of chocolate! There is an underlying tone of sweet malt, lactose, full fat cream, biscuit, milkshake aromas and little else....this smells like pure dessert in a glass!....WOW!

T- This is simply bliss on the palate!!! Mr Smith was having a good day when he came up with this formula for sure! Creamy malted milk Chocolate is very upfront, with underlying flavors of smooth intense vanilla, and slightly lesser iced coffee with heavy cream. Caramel like cola hints are present and possibly some earthy root beer notes as well. Toffee nut flavor is on the finish with just a hint of dryness to round everything out....I can't really explain how good this is....I just cant.....

M/O- Full body, and intensely rich smooth creamy carbonation just coat my palate so well....this is a simple yet complex pleasure to drink and really....who needs dessert when one can just pour this into a glass and enjoy?!?! Chocolate silk in texture and the alcohol is not even a factor.....I can see myself getting into a lot of trouble over the course of an evening with this in my hand, however, I don't believe this is a true session beer. This should really be illegal...enough said! Cheers!

Sammy Smith is probably the most consistent and solid brewery in that everything they make is perfect. Perfectly balanced flavor, perfect color, small yet substantial head and a gorgeous smell. This beer is another one that is perfect by Samuel smith. The chocolate flavor is just awesome on top of a beautiful stout.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Look- It pours a dark chocolate almost black with very nice carbonation from the moment you pop the top giving you a 2 to maybe 3 finger light and creamy oatmeal head that very slowly dissipates. The lacing on the glass is gentle but profound with bubbles just gently dancing on the glass.

Smell- The beer smells strongly of oatmeal, milk chocolate, coconut, and I think maybe just maybe Heaven

Taste- The beer tastes exactly as it smells but even better with sweet milk chocolate dominating the scene but not so overwhelming you feel like you just fell in a bat of chocolate at Willie Wankas evil plot but just a sinfully subtleness . Then a delicious dry oatmeal sturdiness in the body. Sweet coconut and almonds add wonderful candy bar afterthoughts.

Feel- The mouth feel is creamy, medium bodied, with a nice finish that makes you come back for more. For this being a stout I drank it fairly fast.

Overall- I simply feel this is almost the perfect beer. I could right so much more but I find myself wanting to stop writing and run back to the Vine to buy more. men and women I think this is a big,big winner A+

1.63/5  rDev -61.1%

A little too much like Hershey's syrup watered down with Pale Ale. I prefer a richer dark chocolate taste to my chocolate beers.

4.71/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great flavorful stout. Nice chocolatey after taste. A+

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer pours a dark, rich dark chocolate black, with brown coming through the edges in the light. An oatmeal colored head recedes to a bubbly film. Beautiful webbed lacing coats the glass.

The beer smells strongly of oatmeal, milk chocolate, and coconut.

The beer tastes exactly as it smells with sweet milk chocolate dominating, with a delicious dry oatmeal sturdiness in the body. Sweet coconut and almonds add wonderful candy bar afterthoughts.

The mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, with a nice finish.

Overall, simply a perfect beer to me, exquisite in every way.

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours black
Smells of chocolate
Taste is the same, but there is something additional a can't put my finger on.
Beer has a great feel to it and was an exceptional choice today.
Makes me want to try more Samuel Smith products.

4.39/5  rDev +4.8%

Samuel Smith: Those magnificent bastards! I didn’t read their book (I don’t think they’ve written one*) but I am continuously impressed whenever I crack open a bottle of Mr. Smith’s Good Time Juice, aka all of their beers that I have tried. Today’s Sam Smith brew is their Organic Chocolate Stout [where have you been all my life?] or, as I often have to do with a Samuel Smith review, I’ve initialised the beer name to SSOCS to save on word space... hmmm, SSOCS... sort of like socks, I like it.

Poured from a generous almost-a-pint-but-not 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Looks like a glass of a certain ™ popular cola beverage... with a khaki-coloured 2 cm head on top - how very un-cokelike of this brew to have a head. The head soon reduces to a centimetre, that’s more cokelike of it. 8/10.

S: Full cocoa on the nose, which takes on a hint of coconut character (as cocoa can do sometimes, I think it’s the oil in the cocoa bean) with hints of cream and a solid Stout note of chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Chocolate milkshake in a beer in a pint glass - superb! 10/10.

T: Wow, this is one sweet beer... literally! This beer is aimed squarely at chocolate lovers with the above flavour characters of: Cocoa, coconut, milk chocolate and that hint of vanilla. Finish is skewed towards sweetness but it does contain a hint of cacao bitterness and mild astringency. 9/10.

M: Medium, but slightly watery bodied with a thin to flat classic UK pub carbonation. The wateriness pulls it back from greatness as this beer could definitely have benefited from its Oatmeal Stout cousin’s bag of flaked oats, oh well. 7/10.

D: This is too singular on the sweet tooth side for most beer drinkers I suspect... however I’m enjoying the break from hops - not every beer needs to be a see-saw balance between sweet/bitter - sometimes it is nice to indulge in a decadent chocolate dessert and this beer is the perfect complement to that experience, even if it is incomplete as a true beer experience. Final word: This is the best example of a “Chocolate Stout” I’ve had thus far, if you’re crossing off some sort of chocolate-flavoured beer bucket list this one should be at or near the top. 8/10.

Food match: Chocolate cake, something Black Forest-y, or a torte - stick with desserts for this brew, trust me.

*A shiny new donkey for whomever gets that film reference - AND - brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

I've tried a lot of beers. If you're craving a chocolate beer it doesn't get much better than this. Pour this one in to big cold glass, smell the sweet aroma, taste the bubbles, savor the wet chocolate goddess. Enjoy.

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is ridiculous. My non beer drinking friend said it was like Yoohoo made a beer. I don't feel that's a fair statement, but I know what he was trying to say. The mouth feel of this beer alone.... the only thing I can say negative about it is that it is a bit sweet.

4.19/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is awesome stuff! Like drinking melted chocolate. Black with small head, aroma of chocolate, taste of chocolate, slightly sweet. If you know a chocolate lover, this is the drink for them.

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

From bottle, Pours dark brown with a beige head. Aroma dominated by chocolate with vanilla, roasted malt and a hint of coffee. Taste wow wow and wow Sweet flavour of chocolate, roasted malt and vanilla, very creamy. Very nice wow.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

550 ml bottle poured into an English pub glass. Very dark murky brown-black with orange tints and a very creamy khaki-colored head of around two fingers height. Aroma of chocolate-covered raisins, dried cherries, malted milk, and a faint tinge of earthy, tangy hops. This is indeed a very chocolatey brew, comes off like semi-sweet campground hot chocolate (albeit not hot) mixed with just a little wood char to cut the sweetness. Lots of malted milk candy and a touch of dried apricot. Some diacetyl apparent. Smooth creamy mouth feel as expected, quite thick, with moderate carbonation. The nose is much sweeter than the taste but the two dimensions meld together. Finish is also quite sweet but with a subtle tea-like tannic note as well. The beer does develop toward a nutty, woody bitterness over time, probably as one's sweetness receptors start shutting down. I love milk stouts if I am in the mood for something that sweet and this is indeed an exemplary take on the style.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial nonic a deep chocolate brown with a creamy 1/2 finger tan colore head atop,a great looking pour.Milk chocolate really stood out to me in the nose along with roast and a hint of vanilla,like dessert in a glass.Mellow slightly fizzy feel to the beer,both balance each other out well.Chocolate and more chocolate on the palate but it doesn't hammer your taste buds,it's just a mellow lingering chocolatiness,mild roast and nuttiness with a shot of vanilla.I would make an ice cream float out of this,it's not even close to being cloying but the chocolate flavors are predominant,a great fricken milk stout here!

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark, deep brown with some ruby shining through the edges - not quite dark or bold enough to be called black. A light tan head forms, stays, and leave a little bit of wet looking lace on the way down. The aroma is full-force, 100% chocolate. BIG TIME chocolate - creamy and sweet, like chocolate milk or chocolate candies. Chocolate syrup, up and down. Some light roasty malt aromas, of course, but they don't stand a chance against the chocolate barricade. As it warms up, a slight nutty aroma pops its head in. But, like, chocolate covered nuts. This chocolate means serious fucking business.

The taste is basically everything you'd expect - sweet chocolate, through and through. Like a creamy and sweet chocolate milk, with some extra chocolate syrup added. The chocolate is overall pretty sweet and milky, but there is a bit of bitterness from the heavy roast in the malt. Perhaps a little bit is from the hops also? But I don't taste much hop flavor, if any at all. Maybe a bit of leafiness, but I'm probably just talking out of my ass. I don't taste much else but combinations of different chocolates. Thin-medium body, a little thinner than expected, and not as creamy as I'd hoped for, with high carbonation.

Chocolate milk beer, basically. Milk chocolate flavors dominate, with just a touch of bitter roast for balance. Good beer to introduce people to stouts who are intimidated. Drinks easy, and very flavorful for being only 5% ABV.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark dark brown color with a tall, frothy, beige head that recedes to leave some decently spotty lacing.

Aromas begin with lightly roasted malts and then tons of milk chocolate syrup and some lesser dark baker's cocoa. The chocolate seems "real" if that makes sense, compared to some beers where the cocoa seems stale or artificial.

The tastes begins with lightly roasted, toasted maltiness, but the milk chocolate flavors burst huge right after. As it warms you get a tad but of English yeast fruity esters but the waves of cocoa are hard to overtake.

The mouthfeel is medium to light-bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is sweet albeit a tad bit on the watery, flabby end.

Overall, this really hits the mark for a sweet after dinner beer in the winter when you don't want a huge beer and plan to last past midnight. Pretty one-noted but luckily the one note isn't too sweet or burdensome on the palate. It delivers what it advertises and much better than any other of Samuel Smith's Organic offerings, especially the fruited ones.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)