Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.
Reviews: 495 | Hads: 2,777

Sammy Smith is probably the most consistent and solid brewery in that everything they make is perfect. Perfectly balanced flavor, perfect color, small yet substantial head and a gorgeous smell. This beer is another one that is perfect by Samuel smith. The chocolate flavor is just awesome on top of a beautiful stout.

This pours a delightfully dark, nearly impervious to light black with a shaving cream thick head that is tan, settles so slow as to be impermeable and leaves a blanket down the glass as opposed to lacing.

The nose is superb, and dominated by the chocolate, That is a super sweet nose of fructose and malt nicely blended with a sweet and bitter-sweet chocolate, milk, vanilla, bread and caramel.

The taste is a blast of bitters very complex in the combination that has the tongue wrangling to identify the blends of chocolates, malts, vanilla, sweet malt, coriander, nutmeg, camphor and lavender.

The mouthfeel is ideal and rich, a superb delivery for the complexity and artistry of this beer.

Overall, exceptional and very highly recommend. However, when it comes to Tadcaster brewery - exceptional is the norm. This one is exceptional, even for them.

Smells like chocolate syrup wow. It drinks like a great milk stout with the cocoa sweetness leaving a lasting taste on the back of the tongue. Great full body for a 5 percent beer. Carbonation is perfect at colder temps it can taste like chocolate soda but it warms up to a full bodied stout. Even my wife who doesn't like beer loves this beer! Plus its organic which I think a lot more breweries should be doing.

I do not have an educated palate but am slowly learning.

Poured into a snifter.

A - beautiful dark brownish black color with a small head that dissipates quickly.
S - Heavenly chocolate - absolutely delightful. There is no doubt about whether there is chocolate in this beer.
T- Oh my goodness, tastes absolutely yummy. Chocolate with a LOT of creaminess.
M - Very, very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.
O - I had no idea chocolate stout could be so wonderful. I am definitely going to get more ... and on top of it all, it's organic! Can't beat that. This is a lovely beer and is definitely my new favorite.

8/20/13 Update... this is still my very favorite beer. I am hesitant to try other Chocolate Stouts (and I have) because the are a disappointment when compared to the Organic Chocolate Stout. I love this beer!

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer pours a dark, rich dark chocolate black, with brown coming through the edges in the light. An oatmeal colored head recedes to a bubbly film. Beautiful webbed lacing coats the glass.

The beer smells strongly of oatmeal, milk chocolate, and coconut.

The beer tastes exactly as it smells with sweet milk chocolate dominating, with a delicious dry oatmeal sturdiness in the body. Sweet coconut and almonds add wonderful candy bar afterthoughts.

The mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, with a nice finish.

Overall, simply a perfect beer to me, exquisite in every way.

I received a bottle in a gift basket. Samuel Smith might be my favorite all around brewery. The Oatmeal Stout is probably perfect. This is a great beer, if you love chocolate beer. It's really chocolatey, if you understand what I mean. Delicious, of course, but you're basically drinking desert in your beer, if you like that sort of thing. I gave it a 5 because it was great chocolate beer, although I don't think I would ever buy it, except as a gift for someone who is a beer lover and chocolate lover, and might like them at the same time.

One of my favorite beers of all time. I wish i had one in front of my right now. Taste is out of this world witch rich chocolate nodes that are amplified by the smell that is just a sweet. A must try.

550ml bottle. Pours a very deep brown, almost black colour with a ruby tinge when held up to the light. Dark tan head but left absolutely no lacing. Powerfully enticing aroma of milk chocolate, mocha and vanilla. Smells great. Deliciously sweet, chocolatey taste with only a hint of bitterness. Full body, creamy texture, low carbonation, long finish. A chocolate stout that provides a massive chocolate hit. Bottled chocolate. WOW!!!

I have tasted other chocolate beers but when I tried this one, I fell in love with it. It has that sweet taste to it, smooth, and rich in flavor. The smell smells like chocolate, the beer feels great flowing down the throat, and the after taste is to die for. I wish this beer was more widely produced and cheaper. It makes me happy.

Appearance- blek like chocolate with a nice tan head
Smell- chocolate
Taste- chocolate
Mouthfeel- like bubbly chocolate milk

I didnt expect a chocolate stout to actually taste like chocolate, but it does. How they do dis? It tastes just like chocolate. Wut. Is this beer or some sort of tastey dessert? I want to pour this on ice cream. I want to dip strawberries in this beer. I want to pour this in my Cocoa Pebbles, want to bask in this chocolatey goodness for eternity.

A: It pour's a very dark brown almost black. It looks like a stout should.
S: It intensely smells of chocolate, chocolate cake, chocolate truffles, and coco. I love it.
T: Right off the bat, it is chocolaty and semi-sweet, it has a good malt character giving a it some roasted flavor, but the chocolate takes center stage here.
M: Full bodied and smooth. It has just the rite amount of carbonation to really compliment the great body of this beer. It is still a refreshing beer despite how dark it is, and is one that dose not leave any astringent feeling after it leaves the mouth. A great finishing beer with no bitter after taste. Perfect.
O:I am giving this beer a perfect score because it is by far the very best sweet/milk stout that i have ever had, and one of my all time favorite beers ever. I am fairly certain it will always be in my top 3 beers for as long as i live.

This is one of my top 5 favorite beers. It has everything I like in a beer.. Thick creamy head, smooth finish, and full flavor. I recommend this as a desert beer instead of a dinner or lunch beer.

A - Very dark brown almost black. The head on this beer has the appearance of a chocolate malt.

S - The smell is very chocolaty and bold. I get some coffee or espresso notes along with it too. The smell also resembles very closely that of a chocolate bar.

T - The taste is very similar to the smells you get. Chocolate and coffee tones along with a very suttle smoky flavor. This beer has one the best after tastes of any Beer. When it hits the palate you instantly get a burst of chocolate. This beer would pair very well with Nestlé toll house chocolate chip cookies or any other chocolate desert.

M - Not quite a chewy mouth but close. It is not like most stouts in that it has a much more carbonated feel to it. The beer finishes amazingly.

O - I strongly recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys craft beers. This is truly a masterpiece in my opinion. 5/5 baby !!!!

Note: I know this beer is labeled a stout but if you have ever had boulevards "Chocolate Ale" the feel and mouth of the beer is a close resemblance. Please try this beer if you like Ales this beer is nothing like a normal stout.

Wow, incredibly yummy beer! Faultless! Poured at a good temperature with a thick, foamy, tan head that lasts and some lace. Color is a clear, dark brown with cherry highlights. Aroma is massivley cocoa with malt. Flavor's like nose, sweet malt and cocoa up front with a hint of bitter and carbonic tang in the back. Body is full, round, and lush with perfect carbonation. Finish is fairly long, like flavor, and very satisfying. This beer is just faultless. Love to try it with a scoop of Sweet Shop New York ice cream.

Appreance - Poured into a tulip with a frothy head. Brown-black in color.

Smell - Sweet chocolate.

Taste - Delicious sweet chocolate is definitely the highlight but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - Not thin but also not chewy. Simply very smooth.

I have been waiting for this one a while and it did not disappoint. Definitely a sweet stout but it tastes delicious and is supremely drinkable.

Taste like chocolate cake in a bottle and I fricken love chocolate cake. Me and my wife just can't get enough of it. There are times we drink this as a desert all on its own. So good I feel like I'm getting away with something every time I drink it. Truly a treat in a bottle.

Sampled this evening on 12/27/14 but had this one before. This is a single 550ml (18.7 ounce) bottle but seen it in a smaller bottle in a 4-pack. Bottle has been in the back of the beer cooler since earlier in the year. Chilled down to 36 degrees F and poured in to a handled-g;ass stein.

Pours pretty close to a pitch black in color with a good 3-finger foamy/creamy beige head that stays around a while before settling down to around 4mm near the end of the drink. Some sediment is seen in the bottle of the bottle after the pour. A good amount of sticky lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is very pleasant and is of cocoa powder for the most part. The taste is pretty much the same with lots of good chocolate flavor that is so very smooth that you don't think it is a brew at all. Of course no bitter aftertaste, just lots of great flavor. Probably the best style of this type of brew on the market. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation for this style. Fantastic brew! Perfect in each category!

12 oz pour out of the bottle into a nonic pint.

Appearance- Pours a deep chestnut brown, borderline burnt black into the glass, with a solid 2 finger creamy tan head. Absolute gorgeous looking stout, almost picture perfect with every pour, and I've poured quite a few of these gems.

Smell- The nose hits you like opening the door into a confectionery. It's pure liquid milk chocolate goodness, with the chocolate malts overwhelming you and masking any hint of hops there may be. If you melted a candy bar into a glass I doubt it could match the chocolate found on the nose here.

Taste- Instant gratification. Anyone with a sweet tooth will instantly be a lifelong fan of this beer. Smooth, velvety malt washes over the tongue and follows the nose with that liquid chocolate flavor dominating everything. A very, very slight roasted bitterness follows on the back end, keeping it at just the perfect balance to want to session several of these.

Mouthfeel- Spot on for what a sweet stout should be. No sense of harshness or bitterness at all. Smooth, luxurious, and decadent, it's the perfect after dinner beer or quick fix for those candy cravings, yet doesn't feel too heavy. Hard to not ask for a second round of this beer.

Overall- I gave this perfect 5's for a reason. Personally, I just can't find a single thing I dislike about this beer. Smooth, delicious, and perfectly sessionable, for me, it's what I envision when I ask for a stout at the bar. Absolute home run for Samuel Smith's, and I hope it never goes away. Bravo.

OMG, this beer is so amazing! If you want a chocolate tasting stout, this is definitely what you're looking for. It seriously tastes like Nesquik, in a good way. I am loving this beer and going to buy it again as soon as possible.

Stunning chocolate stout with an unbelievable fudgey taste of fresh milk/dark chocolate. The aroma is highly indicative of the flavor to come with the first velvety sip of this unique concoction. If you love flavor enriched richer beers, Samuel Smith is your guy. Any beer that comes from this brewery is guaranteed to be just as described on the label. This is hands down the best and most true to taste chocolate stout on the market. This is a slow sipping sweet brew that is to be savored and enjoyed slowly. Great for the fall or a cool summer night.

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

550ml bottle served in a nonic pint glass.

Look: Murky brown - looks like it was pulled from a swamp. If you're expecting opaque black stoutness then you're in the wrong place. Creamy head which leaves some lacing.

Smell: You know how it's called 'Chocolate Stout'? They ain't kidding - chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. This smells like hot chocolate with added fruit and malt, there's even a certain 'milkiness' about the smell. Absolutely divine.

Taste: It tastes like it smells - fruity hot chocolate, with a slightly earthy, hoppy aftertaste. It doesn't taste like a beer at all, much less a stout, but in a very good way. Quite sweet, but not excessively so.

Feel: Seriously smooth. Despite looking like swamp water and smelling like a bedtime drink this stout has a wonderfully creamy feel which slips down perfectly. Imagine chocolate brownies liquified and fermented and you're probably not far off.

Overall: Sam Smiths cop a lot of flak for their business practices but with very few exceptions their beers are all absolutely top notch. For me, the chocolate stout is ahead of the pack by a country mile, with only the Imperial Stout coming anywhere close. The combination of the amazing chocolate aroma and taste make this a world class brew.

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz bottle poured in a Stout glass.

Appearance - Mostly black with a nice but not overbearing brown head.

Smell - Very pungent and prominent chocolate/cocoa smell. One of my favorite smelling beers. Some stouts tend to be difficult to pick up a good scent on, but this is right in your face and it's just quite amazing.

Taste - chocolate...no two ways about it. maybe a little coffee/express in the finish. So delectable. My first time drinking this was favorable, but my 2nd purchase (a 4 pack) quickly made not only my favorite Samuel Smith variety, but also surpassed it as my favorite Chocolate Stout (the previous being Young's double chocolate..which is a fantastic stout in itself). It's certainly a dark chocolate flavor...one that you want to keep sipping until the glass is empty. Sometimes you feel bad you drank the whole thing without savoring it properly.

Mouthfeel - despite it's somewhat rich flavor and smell, it is a medium mouthfeel. Not overbearing or too filling. I wouldn't call it a session beer, but it's hard to resist having a couple in a row if you have enough available

Overall - A terrific representation of the style. I *love* this beer. It's one of those beers where you just bask in each sip and wish the glass was bottomless. There are a few beers which are hard to believe are even beers, and this is one of them. Samuel Smith is probably my favorite brewery period, and this is their best beer IMHO. That should say enough about how i feel about it

4.97/5  rDev +18.9%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: big frothy head that dissipates quickly on a dark black stout body.
T: perfectly balanced stout and chocolate. Not too sweet not too stout.
MF: great body for a 5.0 abv beer. Good carbonation
O: this beer is amazing and is currently my favorite beer. I love it and I have bought 6 bombers of it in the past 3 days.

4.96/5  rDev +18.7%

WOW. This beer is divine. Celestial. Superb. I opened the bottle and smelled it and looked at my dad (we always try new beers together) and said "oh my god, it smells like chocolate syrup". I poured it into our glasses and he had the first sip. He looked at me and said "oh my god". My mother, who doesn't like beer at all tried some. It is the first beer she didn't cringe after drinking it. This beer is seriously so good. I might be biased as I prefer stouts to most beers (aside from Weihenstephan Original Lager), but this is honest to god a good beer. We found it at a store in Atlanta, but the name escapes me. But it was $5 for a pint. A while ago I had marked this as a "want" on BA and forgot about it and by chance we grabbed it without me remembering. I wish I had grabbed more. I would buy again. Definitely.

4.94/5  rDev +18.2%

Had a few times and wanted to do a full review. Good looking beer that smells like easter. Taste is perfect. This is a desert beer, at least that is what I call it. Wonderful, smooth, and sweet. I always have one in the fridge in case I get a sweet tooth. So much better than a candy bar. Easily one of my favorite beers, it is a must try.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)