2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,490 | Reviews: 332 | Show All Ratings:
cubsfan2004

Appreance - Poured into a tulip with a frothy head. Brown-black in color.

Smell - Sweet chocolate.

Taste - Delicious sweet chocolate is definitely the highlight but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - Not thin but also not chewy. Simply very smooth.

I have been waiting for this one a while and it did not disappoint. Definitely a sweet stout but it tastes delicious and is supremely drinkable.

10-27-2012 18:13:19 | More by cubsfan2004
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer pours a dark, rich dark chocolate black, with brown coming through the edges in the light. An oatmeal colored head recedes to a bubbly film. Beautiful webbed lacing coats the glass.

The beer smells strongly of oatmeal, milk chocolate, and coconut.

The beer tastes exactly as it smells with sweet milk chocolate dominating, with a delicious dry oatmeal sturdiness in the body. Sweet coconut and almonds add wonderful candy bar afterthoughts.

The mouthfeel is creamy, medium bodied, with a nice finish.

Overall, simply a perfect beer to me, exquisite in every way.

12-02-2012 17:07:40 | More by JuicesFlowing
drpimento

Wisconsin

Wow, incredibly yummy beer! Faultless! Poured at a good temperature with a thick, foamy, tan head that lasts and some lace. Color is a clear, dark brown with cherry highlights. Aroma is massivley cocoa with malt. Flavor's like nose, sweet malt and cocoa up front with a hint of bitter and carbonic tang in the back. Body is full, round, and lush with perfect carbonation. Finish is fairly long, like flavor, and very satisfying. This beer is just faultless. Love to try it with a scoop of Sweet Shop New York ice cream.

12-23-2012 00:24:27 | More by drpimento
BeerNut402

Nebraska

This is one of my top 5 favorite beers. It has everything I like in a beer.. Thick creamy head, smooth finish, and full flavor. I recommend this as a desert beer instead of a dinner or lunch beer.

A - Very dark brown almost black. The head on this beer has the appearance of a chocolate malt.

S - The smell is very chocolaty and bold. I get some coffee or espresso notes along with it too. The smell also resembles very closely that of a chocolate bar.

T - The taste is very similar to the smells you get. Chocolate and coffee tones along with a very suttle smoky flavor. This beer has one the best after tastes of any Beer. When it hits the palate you instantly get a burst of chocolate. This beer would pair very well with Nestlé toll house chocolate chip cookies or any other chocolate desert.

M - Not quite a chewy mouth but close. It is not like most stouts in that it has a much more carbonated feel to it. The beer finishes amazingly.

O - I strongly recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys craft beers. This is truly a masterpiece in my opinion. 5/5 baby !!!!

Note: I know this beer is labeled a stout but if you have ever had boulevards "Chocolate Ale" the feel and mouth of the beer is a close resemblance. Please try this beer if you like Ales this beer is nothing like a normal stout.

12-23-2012 02:43:57 | More by BeerNut402
phillyrich

PERFECT JUST PERFECT TRIED ALL OTHERS THIS ONE. IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST TASTING CHOCOLATE STOUT OUT THERE BEST TASTE. BEST SMELL BEST FLAVOR THIS ONE HAS IT ALL AND HOPEFULLY ITS NOT JUST SEASONAL LOVE IT LOVE IT DONT CHANGE A THING SAMUEL SMITHS THANK YOU

03-18-2013 04:37:50 | More by phillyrich
Higgy

I do not have an educated palate but am slowly learning.

Poured into a snifter.

A - beautiful dark brownish black color with a small head that dissipates quickly.
S - Heavenly chocolate - absolutely delightful. There is no doubt about whether there is chocolate in this beer.
T- Oh my goodness, tastes absolutely yummy. Chocolate with a LOT of creaminess.
M - Very, very smooth with just the right amount of carbonation.
O - I had no idea chocolate stout could be so wonderful. I am definitely going to get more ... and on top of it all, it's organic! Can't beat that. This is a lovely beer and is definitely my new favorite.

8/20/13 Update... this is still my very favorite beer. I am hesitant to try other Chocolate Stouts (and I have) because the are a disappointment when compared to the Organic Chocolate Stout. I love this beer!

07-14-2013 04:39:12 | More by Higgy
Brouwerij78

Stunning chocolate stout with an unbelievable fudgey taste of fresh milk/dark chocolate. The aroma is highly indicative of the flavor to come with the first velvety sip of this unique concoction. If you love flavor enriched richer beers, Samuel Smith is your guy. Any beer that comes from this brewery is guaranteed to be just as described on the label. This is hands down the best and most true to taste chocolate stout on the market. This is a slow sipping sweet brew that is to be savored and enjoyed slowly. Great for the fall or a cool summer night.

10-03-2013 16:20:15 | More by Brouwerij78
Turkzil

I have tasted other chocolate beers but when I tried this one, I fell in love with it. It has that sweet taste to it, smooth, and rich in flavor. The smell smells like chocolate, the beer feels great flowing down the throat, and the after taste is to die for. I wish this beer was more widely produced and cheaper. It makes me happy.

01-24-2014 20:03:03 | More by Turkzil
AntMan76009

Appearance- blek like chocolate with a nice tan head
Smell- chocolate
Taste- chocolate
Mouthfeel- like bubbly chocolate milk

I didnt expect a chocolate stout to actually taste like chocolate, but it does. How they do dis? It tastes just like chocolate. Wut. Is this beer or some sort of tastey dessert? I want to pour this on ice cream. I want to dip strawberries in this beer. I want to pour this in my Cocoa Pebbles, want to bask in this chocolatey goodness for eternity.

03-31-2014 22:00:26 | More by AntMan76009
Swedgin_Wu

4.98/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz bottle poured in a Stout glass.

Appearance - Mostly black with a nice but not overbearing brown head.

Smell - Very pungent and prominent chocolate/cocoa smell. One of my favorite smelling beers. Some stouts tend to be difficult to pick up a good scent on, but this is right in your face and it's just quite amazing.

Taste - chocolate...no two ways about it. maybe a little coffee/express in the finish. So delectable. My first time drinking this was favorable, but my 2nd purchase (a 4 pack) quickly made not only my favorite Samuel Smith variety, but also surpassed it as my favorite Chocolate Stout (the previous being Young's double chocolate..which is a fantastic stout in itself). It's certainly a dark chocolate flavor...one that you want to keep sipping until the glass is empty. Sometimes you feel bad you drank the whole thing without savoring it properly.

Mouthfeel - despite it's somewhat rich flavor and smell, it is a medium mouthfeel. Not overbearing or too filling. I wouldn't call it a session beer, but it's hard to resist having a couple in a row if you have enough available

Overall - A terrific representation of the style. I *love* this beer. It's one of those beers where you just bask in each sip and wish the glass was bottomless. There are a few beers which are hard to believe are even beers, and this is one of them. Samuel Smith is probably my favorite brewery period, and this is their best beer IMHO. That should say enough about how i feel about it

03-16-2013 09:02:19 | More by Swedgin_Wu
brewdude1982

4.98/5  rDev +18.9%

This was a bomber poured into a snifter.

A: big frothy head that dissipates quickly on a dark black stout body.
S: PURELY AMAZING CHOCOLATE STOUT!!!!
T: perfectly balanced stout and chocolate. Not too sweet not too stout.
MF: great body for a 5.0 abv beer. Good carbonation
O: this beer is amazing and is currently my favorite beer. I love it and I have bought 6 bombers of it in the past 3 days.

06-09-2013 22:52:23 | More by brewdude1982
JamieDuncan

Maryland

4.96/5  rDev +18.4%

Had a few times and wanted to do a full review. Good looking beer that smells like easter. Taste is perfect. This is a desert beer, at least that is what I call it. Wonderful, smooth, and sweet. I always have one in the fridge in case I get a sweet tooth. So much better than a candy bar. Easily one of my favorite beers, it is a must try.

11-17-2013 01:41:31 | More by JamieDuncan
JayS2629

Alabama

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

This pours jet black with a four finger, foamy tan head that sticks around. Beautiful, seafoam lacing! The aroma is of sweet, dark chocolate with vanilla undertones and nutty notes. Smells like a candy bar. The taste follows the nose, and for those that say it is too sweet...remember the style...it is a milk stout. Milk chocolate candy bar with rich, vanilla and earthy hints. Balanced with a just enough bittering and roasty notes to make the finish not cloying. A dessert beer, but not overly rich. Rich, creamy, and full bodied. Excellent chocolate stout.

11-25-2012 04:34:39 | More by JayS2629
yankeeairpirate

Missouri

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into a 1 pint Tulip glass.

A: Pours black into the tulip with 1-finger's worth of medium brown head. Lace is medium to stiff. Stays on the top of the glass, but slowly withdraws.

S: Can I "capitalize" CHOCOLATE? Actually, it's nose is cocoa-smelling with a hint of coconut.

T: Taste is tremendous. I can describe the taste as very meaningful chocolate taste without being overly sweet. I've tasted some chocolate stouts that really make your brain think that you're drinking a Snickers. This one you can taste the malt and just a bit of the hops, along with the CHOCOLATE. Truly a dessert beer.

M: Feel is much lighter than the other chocolate stouts I've tried. It's a pleasure to drink. It doesn't overwhelm like it's competitors.

O: Overall, this is an excellent beer, really decent when the snow is flying and you're all dressed up in flannel and bunny slippers.

03-02-2013 20:42:54 | More by yankeeairpirate
Extol

Georgia

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW. This beer is divine. Celestial. Superb. I opened the bottle and smelled it and looked at my dad (we always try new beers together) and said "oh my god, it smells like chocolate syrup". I poured it into our glasses and he had the first sip. He looked at me and said "oh my god". My mother, who doesn't like beer at all tried some. It is the first beer she didn't cringe after drinking it. This beer is seriously so good. I might be biased as I prefer stouts to most beers (aside from Weihenstephan Original Lager), but this is honest to god a good beer. We found it at a store in Atlanta, but the name escapes me. But it was $5 for a pint. A while ago I had marked this as a "want" on BA and forgot about it and by chance we grabbed it without me remembering. I wish I had grabbed more. I would buy again. Definitely.

03-02-2014 21:14:40 | More by Extol
mfnmbvp

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

550 ml bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present.

Poured into my Winnie The Pooh pint glass.

A - Pours an almost-black black color, with just the tiniest bit of light creeping through. Creamy, frothy, chocolate colored head. Looks amazing.

S - The smells just hit you right in the f**king face. Smells like a bottle of liquid chocolate gold. A mosaic of like three different types of chocolate hits the nose, all melded together. Vanilla beans and cookie dough make an appearance also. A hint of earth and just a tad of booze smell. Absolutely stunning.

T - Beautiful milk chocolate creaminess. Like a wonderful whipped chocolate topping. No hops or carbonation or any bogus filler flavors to distract you and throw you off from this lovely gourmet beer experience. As you drink it, the several different notes of chocolate present themselves. Never had anything like this beer before.

M - Smooth mouth feel, with the creamy milky chocolate flavor sticking around, hanging out under your tongue and whatnot. Not too heavy, not too weak. Pretty well-balanced.

Overall, this beer is superb, and I have already recommended it to quite a few people while drinking this beauty, so do yourself a favor and find yourself a bottle before it's too late. One of the best beers I've been able to review fully on BeerAdvocate so far, and probably the best stout I've ever had as of yet. And this was my first introduction to Samuel Smith's beers. Looking forward to many more!

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout ---5/5

12-14-2012 23:44:53 | More by mfnmbvp
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

550ML bottle poured into a Sprecher snifter glass

Appearance- The darkest shade of brown and almost opaque. A finger of off white head that dissipates somewhat and leaves sticky multi level lacing.

Smell- Thick chocolate and coco. This is Hershey syrup in a bottle. Wow, such a faboulous smelling beer.

Taste- Heaps and heaps of Hershey chocolate with an awesome bitter sweet chocolate finish for great balancing! So Impressive, with a brewery that I expect to be impressive. Living up to your own created hype is one of the hardest things to do, yet they have done it again.

Mouthfeel- Just the littlest bit on the watery side but a nice amount of carbonation to make with a very very easy drinking stout.

Overall- About as impressed as I could be. Samuel Smith is seriously the boss daddy when it comes to stouts and porters. They show that you dont have to do complexity and can still hit a homerun!

12-30-2012 19:55:23 | More by BrownAleMale
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottle served in a pint glass.
A- It had a two finger head but that quickly went down to a one finger head. There was good retention. The color on the head was a deep khaki color. The beer was black but not as dark as many other stouts.
S- Some chocolate malts, thing smelled like a chocolate shake.
T-heaven! Chocolate and then more chocolate! Little bitterness in the finish
M-Smooth,creamy, light body
O-Awesome beer! One of my favorites! Try this beer.

01-20-2013 14:12:51 | More by Damian74Shensky
scratch69

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance- Very dark brown color with two fingers worth of lingering tan head. Fair amount of patchy lace.

Smell- Strong aroma of chocolate.

Taste- Milk chocolate flavor with the faintest hint of roasted malt.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, creamy, and very smooth. Very light amount of carbonation which goes great with this beer.

Overall- Fantastic beer! This is what all chocolate stouts and ales should aspire to. This definitely my new favorite.

03-17-2013 22:04:16 | More by scratch69
Dr_Q

Kentucky

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a beautiful, dark chocolaty beer with a good chocolate-cream head. Even cold, the smell of cocoa with some chocolate malt is strong. The beer is smooth, sweet, with chocolate overtones that seem like everything - cocoa, syrup, candy bars. One of the best chocolate ales I have ever tasted. The smooth velvety drink finishes good, leaving you with a chocolate aftertaste. Not just a desert beer, but a beer that is dessert.

05-24-2013 21:44:14 | More by Dr_Q
tomkaz

Indiana

4.86/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As a big fan of chocolate and coffee stout beers, I am constantly on a quest for different offerings. However, everytime I go to try a new brew, I find myself also picking up some Samuel Smith's as well. Since, my first bottle, it has not been challenged as my favorite chocolate stout. It remains firmly planted atop my list of favorites.

04-16-2013 19:54:43 | More by tomkaz
beergoot

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Presents a deep, dark chocolate body with a very thick, rich, creamy head. An impressive chocolate nose; rich mocha, caramel, milk chocolate, cocoa; some roasted grain notes buried deep within the overall chocolate character. Outstanding flavor and feel: buttery smooth, luxurious milk chocolate; rich and sweet throughout.

Perhaps one of the finest stout's I've tasted. Definitely on the sweet side of things yet very, very delightful to sip. A must try for sweet stout fans and well-worth checking out for any dark beer fan.

11-29-2012 01:13:45 | More by beergoot
bubseymour

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

A- poured aggressively but only a 1 finger white head. Nice micro bubbles, retention and lacing.

S - Extremely perfect chocolate smell like being at the factory or cooking melted chocolate on a stove

T - Perfection in a bottle. Extremely balanced with malt and chocolate flavor very pronounced in the beginning with a slight hop crispness in the finish. Very sweet and dessert like yet easy to drink and very sessionable as well.

M - for a 5% beer its very creamy and full bodied on the tongue

O - This is one exceptional beer from Samuel Smith. For a true chocolate flavored beer, this one really delivers the goods and provides a true premium chocolate flavor that is genuine. No cheap syrupy flavor here. A great beer by all regards. Did I forget to mention how inexpensive it is, only $4.99 for a 550ml bottle. Comparable beers would be $8-12 per bottle and probably not as tasty.

12-25-2012 21:13:12 | More by bubseymour
jaz58

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the first "dessert beer I've ever had.

Right from the get go, chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate yet not overwhelming.

Poured in a clear pint glass the colour was dark brown to black with a creamy chocolate malt coloured head.

The nose is a blend of dark chocolate and cacao.

The taste is amazing. Dark chocolate, a nice balance of malts, nice hints of caramel.

Mouthfeel is round and balanced

This stout can easily be a great ending to a meal.

12-30-2013 03:29:35 | More by jaz58
frankiepop

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Organic Chocolate Stout is an Amazing stout. Dark enough beer with a beautiful sturdy chocolate milk colored head.

Amazing strong chocolate aromas. Reminds me of chocolate chip ice cream.

The taste is superb. Rich chocolaty with an almost like a cinnamon like flavor too. Sweet. Chocolate chip ice cream comes to mind again. Bigger sweeter chocolate flavors than even Rogues Chocolate Stout. Organic Chocolate Stout is certainly sweeter.

Certainly, this is a new favorite for me. At least this stout will hold a special place in one's heart as a unique and wonderful beer for special times. For example this might make be a nice Valentine's gift instead of a sucky box of chocolates for that dark beer lover.

Quite fizzy beer. More fizz than I would like, but easy to swallow and smooth. Just right for this beer though. Some might recommend this beer to be paired with the Jazz 60s classic Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage. I on the otherhand may prefer this to be paired with that classic of the 80s by Sade 'Smooth Operator.' Black but not too dark, romantic, sultry, sexy, and mellow.

Bon Voyage!

02-19-2013 02:49:01 | More by frankiepop
Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)