Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

(Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012)

SpongeRuiner, Dec 24, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Well this beer is essentially Rogue Chocolate Stout, but more affordable and in 12oz four packs. Score. Pours out a brown liquid, light beige head on the top, the cocao nibs don't really allow for much in the way of head retention, lacing etc. . .

Aroma is chocolate, and big on it. Its not really a dark chocolate vibe, more of a lighter variety. But its tons of chocolate. The flavor profile is rather simple: tons of chocolate, some chocolate malt, an average amount of two row, alcohol kept low, a really good sessionable chocolate stout. Good stuff. Easily jumps to the top of the list in terms of my favorite imported beer. Very smooth, hardly any bitterness to it. A little caramel running through it melds quite nicely.

These guys have never come out with a new beer in my drinking lifetime, its nice to finally see a new addition to the portfolio, which was already good, this one might be my favorite. I'd stay away if you don't like sweet chocolate, but if you fancy yourself as a chocolate and beer fan, this is a must try.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 24, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

I scored the last bottle in the cooler at The Fridge last night. I did not realize that it was a limited release, but I have reviewed most of their other beers and I definitely wanted to get this one in also.

From the bottle: "Brewed with water from the original brewery well sunk in 1758, the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavors and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride."; Captioning a picture: "A brewer caring for a batch of ale during open primary fermentation,where the centuries-old Smith yeast strain produces the rocky white foam."; "Samuel Smith's brews at a small, traditional British brewery, the oldest brewery in Yorkshire."

My pour produced a finger of dense, mocha-tan head with great retention. I was mesmerized while watching it slowly fall on top of itself. Nose was definitely sweet chocolate, probably much sweeter than I will care for, but we shall see. Color was a deep dark-brown with cola highlights at the edges. Mouthfeel was more medium than creamy and the flavor was more like chocolate extract or chocolate liqueur than any chocolate beer that I can remember. Finish continued to have an odd sweetness to its chocolaty flavor. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but it is not leading to either a) smiles or b) refills.

woodychandler, Dec 24, 2012

Hopheadjeffery, Dec 24, 2012

morebeergood, Dec 24, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured in a pint glass. Temp- about 55F( 12.8C). The stout is better warmer to bring out the flavors.

Very dark chocolate color with a 2 finger head.

Good aroma- rich chocolate-cocoa.

Mouth feel: smooth.

Taste: Deep, rich milk chocolate. Exceptionally drinkable. One of the best chocolate stouts I have tasted. Only 5%ABV. Quite a winter treat and superb!

brureview, Dec 24, 2012

JVoyager, Dec 23, 2012

Mmsu12, Dec 23, 2012

swungomonkey, Dec 23, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pretty standard for a stout: brownish head, 1 and a half finger tall, with little lacing and pitch black body.

S - WOW! Really sweet chocolate hits the nose the moment you open the bottle, but a little too much for me; like smelling a chocolate-covered marshmallow type of candy. There's nothing else I can smell except for chocolate, and maybe a little brown sugar.

T - A super sweet chocolate milkshake. The sweetness of the chocolate is a little too much for my taste, being a more dark chocolate kind of person. Aside from the chocolate, there are some sugar and "marshmallow-y" notes in it, but overall sweet taste. The aftertaste comes with some hops and nutty flavors.

M - Silky smooth with little carbonation. It's very drinkable, except for the extreme sweetness it leaves in your tongue.

Overall, a great stout, except I didn't like it at all. Coming from Samuel Smith and being an organic beer, I'd say everything in it is natural and... well, organic. Still, the sweetness I get from this beer seems almost artificial, like eating a cheap chocolate-covered marshmallow (and I know this is like the third time I mention that, but it tastes and smells exactly like that). I know most people are fascinated by this beer and seem to enjoy it a lot, but I prefer stouts with a darker chocolate flavor. Would recommend, but not have it again.

Pexkool, Dec 23, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

JHendu, Dec 23, 2012

This is one of my top 5 favorite beers. It has everything I like in a beer.. Thick creamy head, smooth finish, and full flavor. I recommend this as a desert beer instead of a dinner or lunch beer.

A - Very dark brown almost black. The head on this beer has the appearance of a chocolate malt.

S - The smell is very chocolaty and bold. I get some coffee or espresso notes along with it too. The smell also resembles very closely that of a chocolate bar.

T - The taste is very similar to the smells you get. Chocolate and coffee tones along with a very suttle smoky flavor. This beer has one the best after tastes of any Beer. When it hits the palate you instantly get a burst of chocolate. This beer would pair very well with Nestlé toll house chocolate chip cookies or any other chocolate desert.

M - Not quite a chewy mouth but close. It is not like most stouts in that it has a much more carbonated feel to it. The beer finishes amazingly.

O - I strongly recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys craft beers. This is truly a masterpiece in my opinion. 5/5 baby !!!!

Note: I know this beer is labeled a stout but if you have ever had boulevards "Chocolate Ale" the feel and mouth of the beer is a close resemblance. Please try this beer if you like Ales this beer is nothing like a normal stout.

BeerNut402, Dec 23, 2012
3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

A- dark brown, almost black with a head that fall pretty quick

S- super chocolaty, first time "chocolate" beer that actually smells like chocolate, also a bit of fig newton smell, mmm fig newtons

T- Chocolate without being super sweet, tastes like semi sweet chips, i want to mix it with chocolate milk. More milk than dark chocolaty

M- Relatively light for heavy tastes, sweetness sticks around for a while

O- Super chocolaty, would definitely buy it for a newcomer to beer who likes things on the sweet side.

Why doesnt anyone do a hoppy chocolate beer that blends the two elements bitter qualities? this stout was a bit too sweet but a fun thing to try out

seagullbeer, Dec 23, 2012

Wow, incredibly yummy beer! Faultless! Poured at a good temperature with a thick, foamy, tan head that lasts and some lace. Color is a clear, dark brown with cherry highlights. Aroma is massivley cocoa with malt. Flavor's like nose, sweet malt and cocoa up front with a hint of bitter and carbonic tang in the back. Body is full, round, and lush with perfect carbonation. Finish is fairly long, like flavor, and very satisfying. This beer is just faultless. Love to try it with a scoop of Sweet Shop New York ice cream.

drpimento, Dec 23, 2012

Hoptimus-Prime, Dec 22, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Dark black, rich yet thin this poured with a nice bubbly head that kept a bit of creaminess around the edge. The nose is straight chocolate, like a brownie, it so good I just wanted to keep my nose buried in the snifter. Cocoa and caramel are prominent in the aroma.

The taste is of cocoa, chocolate with hints of caramel. Tempered sweetness, nothing is overpowering yet I'm missing the maltiness of the stout. It has all the flavor of a nice dessert beer.

The only negative would be in the mouthfeel. Thin and fizzy it misses the thickness and meal like quality of a fine stout. No matter, I'm very happy with this offering from Samuel Smiths.

KYGunner, Dec 22, 2012

ambruns1979, Dec 22, 2012

SDG1070, Dec 22, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -15%

This was served from a 550ml bottle with no born on date.

A-Poured a jet black color with a nice light tan head. Has some nice lacing for a stout as I drink it down the gullet.

S- Has a very sweet smell, almost of sugar water. I do get the chocolate smell. Smells like cheap chocolate, similar to a Milky Way candy bar. Nothing else here that sticks out.

T- Very very sweet. Sugar, chocolate, sweet. No real developing flavors here. Sweet taste on sweet taste for me.

M- Mouthful is kind of nice. Good mouthful for a stout. I might even prefer it to be a bit thicker for a milk stout. I really get more of the chocolate taste in the mouthful.

O-Well, first of I'm not a huge fan of milk stouts or sweet stouts. This one is really just too sweet for me. Not much going on here to balance that sweetness. Pretty low alcohol, which maybe if it were a tad higher it might make this beer more to my liking. Anyways, I will say that this just isn't my favorite beer or type of beer, but I'm glad I tried it. Comes from a brewery that for the most part I really enjoy their offerings.

Naters333, Dec 21, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

KSather, Dec 20, 2012
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Served in a pint.

A - Deep brown hue with an rich ivory head. Head that took up half of glass. Took ages to recede leaving heavy lacing behind.

S - Chocolate fudge is taking hold of my nostrils. Hints of coconut and vanilla in the background.

T - Powdered chocolate goodness mixed with a milky composition. Slightly bitter near the rear of the progression showing the coconut-like flavor I detected in the nose. Nice malts throughout.

M - Medium body with silky smooth composition. Carbonation was light.

O - Enjoyable and does well for a milk stout. I prefer the bolder RIS, making this a bit of an unfair comparison.

mscudder, Dec 20, 2012
Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)