Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I've heard a rave review and a disappointed review from friends. Let's see where I fall.

A: Solid head, a bit clumpy. Nice deep opaque mahogany color.

S: Mmm, that smells good. Chocolate and butterscotch, both quite strong. I'd be quite inclined to eat or drink anything that smelled like this. Like mixing chocolate sauce, butterscotch sauce, and rum, and pouring that over vanilla ice cream.

T: Huh. This beer's odd. It's almost as if there are two separate beers here and rather than harmonizing, they sit apart from each other on the palate. One's rich, sweet, flat, and matches the sweet chocolate and butterscotch in the smell. The other one's dry, sharply carbonated, shows its alcohol, and is a bit bitter. Part cocoa powder bitterness, part hops. Neither is unpleasant, although if I were to choose one, I'd take the first. It's not out of balance, either. At least right now, I like it with reservations.

M: A bit thinner than I expected, and also a bit thinner than I think I'd want it to be.

I don't think there's any way this is topping Southern Tier's Choklat for me. However, I'll have to try it a couple more times to see if the strange flavor juxtaposition is more interesting or jarring.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

As a big fan of chocolate and coffee stout beers, I am constantly on a quest for different offerings. However, everytime I go to try a new brew, I find myself also picking up some Samuel Smith's as well. Since, my first bottle, it has not been challenged as my favorite chocolate stout. It remains firmly planted atop my list of favorites.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%

4.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

550ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Very dark brown, a little light comes in around the edges, with a billowing, creamy tan head that dissipated fairly quickly.

S- big notes of cocoa, and lactose sweetness. Smells like your house when you make brownies. Nice.

T- A very nice cocoa, think brownies that you just can't have one of. What I really enjoy about this is the hint of black raspberry you get. It's very feint, but it's there, and is a really enjoyable accent. Sweetness lingers long after the sip.

M- Needs to be thicker. Really quite thin for a stout, even at 5% abv.

O- Really tasty, and I'll gladly buy more of this from time to time.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)