Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.
Reviews: 465 | Hads: 2,674
4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok I haven't read any of the reviews yet so this is my UNVARNISHED UNBIASED opinion. Here are my notes upon drinking it (I poured into a tulip cos that's all I have):

smell: rich chocolatey. mmm
head: medium, dies down quickly
color: black
taste: wow so smooth and rich, really chocolate milkshake is what comes to mind. with some coffee as well. you know, a stout. but not bitter. it's sweet

Well, that was very unenlightening. My beer notes usually are. I will say this beer is better than its packaging. The label is unattractive. It looks very old-timey English, but not in a good way. It reminds me of a musty pub. Samuel Smith should hire whoever does Unibroue's design, cos Unibroue labels are the best (723 characters)

One of my favorite beers of all time. I wish i had one in front of my right now. Taste is out of this world witch rich chocolate nodes that are amplified by the smell that is just a sweet. A must try. (200 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours two fingers of head on a black body.
The aroma is rich chocolate, vanilla and toast. Wonderful.
The taste has chocolate sweetness, then coffee bitter.
The texture is smooth but still fizzy.
Outstanding. (209 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5%

Samuel Smith: Those magnificent bastards! I didn’t read their book (I don’t think they’ve written one*) but I am continuously impressed whenever I crack open a bottle of Mr. Smith’s Good Time Juice, aka all of their beers that I have tried. Today’s Sam Smith brew is their Organic Chocolate Stout [where have you been all my life?] or, as I often have to do with a Samuel Smith review, I’ve initialised the beer name to SSOCS to save on word space... hmmm, SSOCS... sort of like socks, I like it.

Poured from a generous almost-a-pint-but-not 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Looks like a glass of a certain ™ popular cola beverage... with a khaki-coloured 2 cm head on top - how very un-cokelike of this brew to have a head. The head soon reduces to a centimetre, that’s more cokelike of it. 8/10.

S: Full cocoa on the nose, which takes on a hint of coconut character (as cocoa can do sometimes, I think it’s the oil in the cocoa bean) with hints of cream and a solid Stout note of chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Chocolate milkshake in a beer in a pint glass - superb! 10/10.

T: Wow, this is one sweet beer... literally! This beer is aimed squarely at chocolate lovers with the above flavour characters of: Cocoa, coconut, milk chocolate and that hint of vanilla. Finish is skewed towards sweetness but it does contain a hint of cacao bitterness and mild astringency. 9/10.

M: Medium, but slightly watery bodied with a thin to flat classic UK pub carbonation. The wateriness pulls it back from greatness as this beer could definitely have benefited from its Oatmeal Stout cousin’s bag of flaked oats, oh well. 7/10.

D: This is too singular on the sweet tooth side for most beer drinkers I suspect... however I’m enjoying the break from hops - not every beer needs to be a see-saw balance between sweet/bitter - sometimes it is nice to indulge in a decadent chocolate dessert and this beer is the perfect complement to that experience, even if it is incomplete as a true beer experience. Final word: This is the best example of a “Chocolate Stout” I’ve had thus far, if you’re crossing off some sort of chocolate-flavoured beer bucket list this one should be at or near the top. 8/10.

Food match: Chocolate cake, something Black Forest-y, or a torte - stick with desserts for this brew, trust me.

*A shiny new donkey for whomever gets that film reference - AND - brings me the head of Colonel Montoya. (2,443 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Had fun with this one. Very nice taste: Sweet and smooth. Interestingly, the overwhelming smell / taste is not chocolate, but vanilla! (Sort of how I'd envisioned the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, but this one truly delivers on those flavors.) May keep a 4-pack of these cellared / on-hand going forward. (308 characters)

Smells like chocolate syrup wow. It drinks like a great milk stout with the cocoa sweetness leaving a lasting taste on the back of the tongue. Great full body for a 5 percent beer. Carbonation is perfect at colder temps it can taste like chocolate soda but it warms up to a full bodied stout. Even my wife who doesn't like beer loves this beer! Plus its organic which I think a lot more breweries should be doing. (413 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

This stuff taste tremendous! really a great balance....the creamy like chocolate taste is just enough! very dry finish.
I wish the ABV was a little higher.....kind of a lot of money for a 4 pack only being 5%....but the beer is still a really nice treat. (255 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This was poured into a mug.
The appearance was a dark brown color with a one to two finger white to off white foamy head that once it dissipated it left a nice rounded out lacing gracing the sides of the glass.
The smell had a super big rich chocolatey maltiness over top of a cakey/somewhat bready substance.
The taste had a thick sweetness pulling my tongue under the weight of a rich aftertaste which led to a medium bodied mouthfeel. Sweet chocolate basically just coats my tongue.
Overall, love this stuff, I'll buy it every Winter for the rest of my life as its such a great beer to have in the winter. (608 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

550ml bottle into a snifter glass
Notes from 11/01/2014

A: Dark mahogany and a touch thin on the pour. Settles closer to a near pitch in the glass with a vibrant khaki foam pillow that comes to rest on top. Real impressive hang time with a few broken rings of lace running down the glass.

S: Smells like some high quality chocolate syrup. I get a good dose of melted candy chocolate kind of like tootise roll. Brownie batter comes to mind. Some light roast to it with a waft of dark caramels.

T: Super light and creamy milk chcolate or chocolate milk. Take your pick. Cocoa with understated coffee notes and some rootbeer or vanilla like flavor. The beer has a slight chalky powder and artifical candy likeness to it albeit a fairly minor nuisance. Virtually no bitterness to this and not all that sweet which is welcomed. Like a friggin' chocolate soda.

M: Super light with a creamy and lush feel. Turns slightly chalky towards the finish but has a nice drying componenet to round it out.

D: Really great for the price and for those looking to satsify those chocolate cravings. Very approachable in that its not too sweet and not too heavy at all. Like a liquid tootsie. (1,196 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Rich, decadent aroma is primarily chocolate with an undertone of brandy and fruit - like sniffing a Hershey bar that’s been dipped into Grand Marnier. Pours a deep, warm, opaque sable with a thick and rather persistent light tan head. Flavor fills the mouth with sweet chocolate, fruity and brandy notes plus hints of roast malt and caramel. Smooth, syrupy texture has firm body and a good amount of fizz. A perfect dessert beer, lip-smacking and most enjoyable. (464 characters)

Chocolate it certainly is, good tasting beer for when you have a sweet tooth, not to sweet though. Some might compare it to chocolate milk, I am not to sure about that. But it does make a good beer for a mixer. (210 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer isn't perfect but i would say that it exceeded almost every expectation i had for it.

Pros:
Deep rich body and flavor. Chocolate taste really comes through. Smells amazing and tastes every bit as good. Is not as bitter as some stouts but still a true stout flavor. Has a full alcohol content..... But it's no imperial stout. You might need a smoke and a nap after.

Cons:
Explosive upon opening. Best to open standing straight up. Might be too sweet for some. Has a bubbly head but not what I expected for a stout. Still..... It's just a visual issue. Sometimes hard to pair with food. Better as a dessert beer. (625 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

was excited to try this one due to previous reviews. however was quite a bit sweeter then i was expecting and didnt have the body that i usually look for in a stout (164 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My personal favorite beer. Don't expect any sweetness, but if you do have cravings for chocolate and alcohol this will more than suit your needs.

The look is similar to Guennis, as it has a typical stout look. It's not my favorite aesthetic as far as beer goes, but it plays its part quite well in this department.

The scent is the purest chocolate scent you could ever dream of. If I had to smell a beer, I would want it to be this one. I am a chocolate fanatic, and the first time I cracked this bottle I was amazed at how the chocolate tone filled the room. It's not exactly a beer smell, and not exactly a candy smell. You can definitely tell it's chocolate, though, and it demands that you take a drink. Very powerful scent. My favorite.

Considering that this is a stout, known for bitterness and harshness, the flavor is surprisingly kind to your taste-buds. You will taste the chocolate immediately, and then it fades into a bitter stout flavor typical of its kind. It isn't a very complex flavor, as it does its best to emphasize the chocolate. It's somewhere between devil's food cake and a baker's bar. Bottom line is, lots of quality chocolate on the taste.

Not a big fan of the way stouts feel. This is a very heavy beer, and it lingers in your mouth until it begins to sour, which is why I knocked of points for taste.

Overall, my favorite craft beer. This is something I would show up to a friend's house with on game night so that they drink one and quit so that I can save the rest for myself. If you're not crazy about chocolate you might want to skip this one. If you are crazy about chocolate however, and happen to also love beer, this is an awesome brew. Just drink it slowly. (1,702 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

Got this in a sampler pack with the India Ale and Oatmeal Stout. Wouldn't have bought it on my own as I'm not much of a stout drinker. As printed on the bottle... smooth chocolate flavor, not very bitter. If that's your thing then it's a great beer. Just OK for me. (269 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent chocolate stout. Imagine boiling down chocolate chips and inhaling a big whiff of chocolate goodness - it is similar to the smell of SSOCS, with a hint of malt tossed in for good measure. The dark brown brew has a modest head that shrinks to a ring of small bubbles around the outside of my glass that remaining throughout the beer. The taste is lead by chocolate, and although it is excellent, there is a hint of something being off - a fake quality, but I am being very picky. Mouthfeel is Smooth and silky. An outstanding beer. (556 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

like carbonated chocolate milk, don't know if it would work as a desert beer on its own due to the over-carbonation but this paired phenomenally with alden's chocolate, chocolate chip ice cream. (194 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - 550 mL bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. The head and lacing are probably the best I've ever seen in a beer. Beautiful tan head that just stays around forever. Pours an opaque ruby red/black. One the best looking beers I've ever seen.

Smell - heavy chocolate, sweet cream, sugar, barley.

Taste - bitter cocoa, sweet chocolate, cream.

Feel - very creamy/velvety & goes down super easy

Overall - a very good world-class beer, but a tad too sweet for my palate to consider it one of my all-time bests. (512 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

While I'm not much of a stout fan, I can't help but love this beer. Very light and easy mouthfeel; not as heavy and dry as some stouts, and makes for a great desert as much as it does a breakfast addition. (208 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.7%

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout last week for $3.29 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and I since I'm in the mood for a Chocolate Stout I thought this would be a good choice, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a teku.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a little over a fingers worth of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up and it dominates the aroma with of this beer with a nice fudge like aroma and some chocolate syrup like aromas. Up next comes just a slight roasted malt and sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a really nice aroma that was just dominated by the chocolate.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the chocolate being the first to show up and it's just as dominating as it was in the aroma and it imparts those same fudge and chocolate syrup aspects. Up next comes the roasted malts which show up just a little more than they did in the aroma and there's some sweet malts showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness with some sweetness taking it's place and lots of chocolate showing up in the aftertaste. This is a good tasting beer that lives up to it's name.

M- Very smooth, rich, a little crisp, slightly creamy, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer has a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style. it had everything that I look for in a Chocolate Stout and while it wasn't the most balanced I thought those nice chocolate aspects made up for it. This beer had good drinkability, it was very smooth, rich, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think I could drink a couple of these and it would be a nice beer to enjoy during the cold weather. What I like the most about this beer is the chocolate aspect, it's very nice and it's just what I want in a chocolate stout. What I like the least about this beer was the sweetness, it wasn't bad, but it was just a little on the sweet side for me. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for a chocolate stout and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style. All in all I liked this beer, it isn't something that I could drink all the time, but it's nice for when I want my chocolate fix. It's now my favorite beer from this brewery and it's one of the best chocolate stouts I've had. Good job guys, this is one tasty beer, keep it up. (3,009 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from the pint 2.7 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown, opaque up to the light, the head is about two fingers of khaki foam, minimal lacing. Aroma is of dark Malts, milk chocolate (yes milk), biscuit, and a hint of fruit (maybe cherry?). Taste is very similar to the aroma, milk chocolate with a hint of malty/ biscuity taste at the end, nearly too sweet for my liking. Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a stout, evspdcially a chocolate stout. Overall decent, not something I'd go out of my way to get again, as say a southern tier mokah. 4/5 (554 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into an IPA glass.
A - Pours black with a tan head that settles to a cap.
S - First I caught the aroma when I opened the bottle. So much chocolate off the top of the bottle.
T - Sweet and chocolatey. Most chocolate flavored beers lean toward the dark chocolate side. This is the closest I've tasted to a milk chocolate flavor in beer. You could pour this over ice cream.
M - Nice chewy mouth feel, chocolate flavor coats your mouth and lasts a long time.
O - One of the best chocolate beers I've ever tasted. Can't believe I waited this long. (553 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A moderate pour from the 550 ml bottle into a shaker pint glass produces about an inch of tan colored head that proves fairly sticky. The beer is a very dark ruddy brown.

Plenty of chocolate aromas and flavors, along with a little dark fruit and a little biscuit. Maybe a touch of brown sugar somewhere. A dark fruit tang combines with the chocolate to produce a chocolate covered cherry effect. The mouth feel is rather thin for a stout, but it works with this beer.

This is an excellent beer and another winner from Sam Smith 's. Reasonably priced at only 3-something for the bottle. (592 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Wow,,,,very nice. The scent and taste scream milk chocolate. The muthfeel is a bit lacking as it would be nice if it were a bit more creamy. The color is opaque with offwhite head that is lacing. Overall.....very nice. (222 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Amazing. If you like chocolate stouts or anything to do with chocolate and beer, please, at least do me the favor, and seek this one out. Absolutely amazing. Smells like you were stuffing your nose in cocoa and tastes just like the smell only better. It's 5% so it won't knock you off your rocker but it'll go down easy and you'll want more. Get it if you see it, don't tthink twice. (383 characters)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)