Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Starts with a very prevalent chocolate flavor, but the overriding personality of this beer is the perfectly roasted chocolate malt flavor on the finish. Great beer to have as your dessert!

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

for me this is way too sweet , overall I am sure I am rating way to low but for me too sweet. if you are a new comer to Imperial stouts or not a fan of a bitter finish than you will enjoy this . very sweet and no bitter aftertaste all sweet like drinking chocolate melted ice-cream. again its a good beer just not for me . if anyone is looking for this one feel free to contact me for a trade. .

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

4.64/5  rDev +10%

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

4.76/5  rDev +12.8%

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

I have a rule that I don't give a perfect score until I try more beers but this beer is practically perfect. What is missing in this beer? Anyone? When it is poured into a glass it has a great head, it is inky black, the aroma is among the best I've ever smelled (smells like dark chocolate candy), and that taste is amazing. I've been scared drinking chocolate beers because I've been worried that they would be very bitter, since Cocoa is natural very bitter. This beer is blended so well, it minimizes the bitters with a creamy sweetness (think a creamer, like is used in coffee). Wow, this stuff is amazing. The only negative is the price. That's the one negative I can think of, it was $5 for a bottle.

I'm not a big fan of stouts. They are usually just too thick and strong for me (flavor wise). This is almost perfection in a bottle. I think this is my highest rated beer as of now.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

2.48/5  rDev -41.2%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)