Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout - Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate StoutSamuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rangerred on 10-16-2012

Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard water is drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic chocolate malt and real organic cocoa used in this ale impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is the perfect marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate that will lead to smiles and refills. Samuel Smith's brews in traditional coppers, uses stone 'Yorkshire Squares' for fermentation, and ships every bottle from the brewery with great pride.
Reviews: 497 | Hads: 2,785
4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From a 550 into a tulip glass.

Pour us pitch black with 2 fingers of thin kaki head. Head fades very quickly and leaves no lace on the glass. A little more carbonation than I'm use to in a stout.

Smell is exactly like tins if Hershey's baking coco. It's like I'm getting ready to make no bake cookies. I've had coffee and chocolate (both milk and dark) and coco smells before but nothing this clear and strong. The smell is so potent I can't find much else but general nuttiness and maybe some toasty maltyness.

Taste follows smell exactly. It's like drinking Hershey coco. Possible the most pure chocolate flavor I've come across in a beer.

Feel is nice. Chocolate flavor lasts until the next sip. Smooth with absolutely no bitterness. Wow!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Samuel Smith's labels, as well as a few other things I've read about their beers seem to indicate that their brewery sits upon a magic well, which is what makes all of their brews turn out as best in class. it's the unique mineral content they say. I kind of believe it. I love the flavor of every one of their stouts and quite frankly, I have noticed a similarity in the foundations of the flavor profile between the different lines. Maybe it is just the water!

At any rate, this one is every bit as good as the rest of the Sam Smith line. It pours a deep, deep brown, nearly black if your lighting isn't first rate. It smells like a gloriously decadent bar of dark chocolate and follows that up by tasting like it as well, except with a smooth creaminess taking the edge of the bitter chocolate notes. This brew is glorious and you'll want another, although it is far too rich to drink more than one. Still, I can't imagine a better dessert after the evening meal...

4.39/5  rDev +5%

Look: very dark brown- almost black
Smell: Amazing. Hershey's syrup with a hint of nuttiness
Taste: Largely follows the nose. Chocolate, roasted nuttiness, and a hint of coconut. Reminded me of Duclaw D.L.F but better. The first sip was probably the best one but still very good all the way through.
Mouth: A little thin. Surprisingly carbonated but this felt more balanced the more I drank it.

Overall, this is a great low abv stout. The nose is fantastic and the taste reminded me of a Mounds candy bar. Not as ridiculously sweet as some have complained but certainly a dessert beer. I was really impressed with the first few sips and enjoyed it till the last drop.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown color with a thick, brown head (that fittingly resembles chocolate milk). Head recedes rather quickly leaving a ring of lacing around the edge. Some slight, patchy lacing on the sides achieved only by swishing.

Aroma is rich, creamy, silky chocolate. So incredibly vivid, one of the more impressively accurate aromas I've yet seen captured in a beer. Some cocoa and a splash of vanilla.

Taste, as in the aroma, absolutely nails the chocolate notes. Some slight nuttiness. A good deal of sweetness on the finish. Cocoa is still there. A hint of ground coffee beans. Not the most complex variety of tastes. The chocolate notes, however, have a lot of depth to them. Really progresses in taste as a piece of chocolate would, starting out with a sense of chewiness, and going down smoothly, like a melted chocolate.

Light-medium body. Pretty light for a stout. Decent amount of bitterness and a bit sticky going down. Higher carbonation for a stout.

This is a fantastic beer. If you like chocolate, you will like this beer. This would go perfectly along with some cake.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Holy freakin delicious. Most chocolate I've ever tasted in a chocolate stout. In a blind test I'd choose this over a chocolate shake. Perfect dessert beer. And organic to boot. A+

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok I haven't read any of the reviews yet so this is my UNVARNISHED UNBIASED opinion. Here are my notes upon drinking it (I poured into a tulip cos that's all I have):

smell: rich chocolatey. mmm
head: medium, dies down quickly
color: black
taste: wow so smooth and rich, really chocolate milkshake is what comes to mind. with some coffee as well. you know, a stout. but not bitter. it's sweet

Well, that was very unenlightening. My beer notes usually are. I will say this beer is better than its packaging. The label is unattractive. It looks very old-timey English, but not in a good way. It reminds me of a musty pub. Samuel Smith should hire whoever does Unibroue's design, cos Unibroue labels are the best

One of my favorite beers of all time. I wish i had one in front of my right now. Taste is out of this world witch rich chocolate nodes that are amplified by the smell that is just a sweet. A must try.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours two fingers of head on a black body.
The aroma is rich chocolate, vanilla and toast. Wonderful.
The taste has chocolate sweetness, then coffee bitter.
The texture is smooth but still fizzy.

4.39/5  rDev +5%

Samuel Smith: Those magnificent bastards! I didn’t read their book (I don’t think they’ve written one*) but I am continuously impressed whenever I crack open a bottle of Mr. Smith’s Good Time Juice, aka all of their beers that I have tried. Today’s Sam Smith brew is their Organic Chocolate Stout [where have you been all my life?] or, as I often have to do with a Samuel Smith review, I’ve initialised the beer name to SSOCS to save on word space... hmmm, SSOCS... sort of like socks, I like it.

Poured from a generous almost-a-pint-but-not 550ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Looks like a glass of a certain ™ popular cola beverage... with a khaki-coloured 2 cm head on top - how very un-cokelike of this brew to have a head. The head soon reduces to a centimetre, that’s more cokelike of it. 8/10.

S: Full cocoa on the nose, which takes on a hint of coconut character (as cocoa can do sometimes, I think it’s the oil in the cocoa bean) with hints of cream and a solid Stout note of chocolate and a touch of vanilla. Chocolate milkshake in a beer in a pint glass - superb! 10/10.

T: Wow, this is one sweet beer... literally! This beer is aimed squarely at chocolate lovers with the above flavour characters of: Cocoa, coconut, milk chocolate and that hint of vanilla. Finish is skewed towards sweetness but it does contain a hint of cacao bitterness and mild astringency. 9/10.

M: Medium, but slightly watery bodied with a thin to flat classic UK pub carbonation. The wateriness pulls it back from greatness as this beer could definitely have benefited from its Oatmeal Stout cousin’s bag of flaked oats, oh well. 7/10.

D: This is too singular on the sweet tooth side for most beer drinkers I suspect... however I’m enjoying the break from hops - not every beer needs to be a see-saw balance between sweet/bitter - sometimes it is nice to indulge in a decadent chocolate dessert and this beer is the perfect complement to that experience, even if it is incomplete as a true beer experience. Final word: This is the best example of a “Chocolate Stout” I’ve had thus far, if you’re crossing off some sort of chocolate-flavoured beer bucket list this one should be at or near the top. 8/10.

Food match: Chocolate cake, something Black Forest-y, or a torte - stick with desserts for this brew, trust me.

*A shiny new donkey for whomever gets that film reference - AND - brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

4.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Had fun with this one. Very nice taste: Sweet and smooth. Interestingly, the overwhelming smell / taste is not chocolate, but vanilla! (Sort of how I'd envisioned the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, but this one truly delivers on those flavors.) May keep a 4-pack of these cellared / on-hand going forward.

Smells like chocolate syrup wow. It drinks like a great milk stout with the cocoa sweetness leaving a lasting taste on the back of the tongue. Great full body for a 5 percent beer. Carbonation is perfect at colder temps it can taste like chocolate soda but it warms up to a full bodied stout. Even my wife who doesn't like beer loves this beer! Plus its organic which I think a lot more breweries should be doing.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

This stuff taste tremendous! really a great balance....the creamy like chocolate taste is just enough! very dry finish.
I wish the ABV was a little higher.....kind of a lot of money for a 4 pack only being 5%....but the beer is still a really nice treat.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This was poured into a mug.
The appearance was a dark brown color with a one to two finger white to off white foamy head that once it dissipated it left a nice rounded out lacing gracing the sides of the glass.
The smell had a super big rich chocolatey maltiness over top of a cakey/somewhat bready substance.
The taste had a thick sweetness pulling my tongue under the weight of a rich aftertaste which led to a medium bodied mouthfeel. Sweet chocolate basically just coats my tongue.
Overall, love this stuff, I'll buy it every Winter for the rest of my life as its such a great beer to have in the winter.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

550ml bottle into a snifter glass
Notes from 11/01/2014

A: Dark mahogany and a touch thin on the pour. Settles closer to a near pitch in the glass with a vibrant khaki foam pillow that comes to rest on top. Real impressive hang time with a few broken rings of lace running down the glass.

S: Smells like some high quality chocolate syrup. I get a good dose of melted candy chocolate kind of like tootise roll. Brownie batter comes to mind. Some light roast to it with a waft of dark caramels.

T: Super light and creamy milk chcolate or chocolate milk. Take your pick. Cocoa with understated coffee notes and some rootbeer or vanilla like flavor. The beer has a slight chalky powder and artifical candy likeness to it albeit a fairly minor nuisance. Virtually no bitterness to this and not all that sweet which is welcomed. Like a friggin' chocolate soda.

M: Super light with a creamy and lush feel. Turns slightly chalky towards the finish but has a nice drying componenet to round it out.

D: Really great for the price and for those looking to satsify those chocolate cravings. Very approachable in that its not too sweet and not too heavy at all. Like a liquid tootsie.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Rich, decadent aroma is primarily chocolate with an undertone of brandy and fruit - like sniffing a Hershey bar that’s been dipped into Grand Marnier. Pours a deep, warm, opaque sable with a thick and rather persistent light tan head. Flavor fills the mouth with sweet chocolate, fruity and brandy notes plus hints of roast malt and caramel. Smooth, syrupy texture has firm body and a good amount of fizz. A perfect dessert beer, lip-smacking and most enjoyable.

Chocolate it certainly is, good tasting beer for when you have a sweet tooth, not to sweet though. Some might compare it to chocolate milk, I am not to sure about that. But it does make a good beer for a mixer.

4.31/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I don't really NEED chocolate in my beer, but I have to admit, this was pretty enjoyable. My buddy Karl recommended this, and as usual, he was correct!

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer isn't perfect but i would say that it exceeded almost every expectation i had for it.

Deep rich body and flavor. Chocolate taste really comes through. Smells amazing and tastes every bit as good. Is not as bitter as some stouts but still a true stout flavor. Has a full alcohol content..... But it's no imperial stout. You might need a smoke and a nap after.

Explosive upon opening. Best to open standing straight up. Might be too sweet for some. Has a bubbly head but not what I expected for a stout. Still..... It's just a visual issue. Sometimes hard to pair with food. Better as a dessert beer.

3.34/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

was excited to try this one due to previous reviews. however was quite a bit sweeter then i was expecting and didnt have the body that i usually look for in a stout

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My personal favorite beer. Don't expect any sweetness, but if you do have cravings for chocolate and alcohol this will more than suit your needs.

The look is similar to Guennis, as it has a typical stout look. It's not my favorite aesthetic as far as beer goes, but it plays its part quite well in this department.

The scent is the purest chocolate scent you could ever dream of. If I had to smell a beer, I would want it to be this one. I am a chocolate fanatic, and the first time I cracked this bottle I was amazed at how the chocolate tone filled the room. It's not exactly a beer smell, and not exactly a candy smell. You can definitely tell it's chocolate, though, and it demands that you take a drink. Very powerful scent. My favorite.

Considering that this is a stout, known for bitterness and harshness, the flavor is surprisingly kind to your taste-buds. You will taste the chocolate immediately, and then it fades into a bitter stout flavor typical of its kind. It isn't a very complex flavor, as it does its best to emphasize the chocolate. It's somewhere between devil's food cake and a baker's bar. Bottom line is, lots of quality chocolate on the taste.

Not a big fan of the way stouts feel. This is a very heavy beer, and it lingers in your mouth until it begins to sour, which is why I knocked of points for taste.

Overall, my favorite craft beer. This is something I would show up to a friend's house with on game night so that they drink one and quit so that I can save the rest for myself. If you're not crazy about chocolate you might want to skip this one. If you are crazy about chocolate however, and happen to also love beer, this is an awesome brew. Just drink it slowly.

3.3/5  rDev -21.1%

Got this in a sampler pack with the India Ale and Oatmeal Stout. Wouldn't have bought it on my own as I'm not much of a stout drinker. As printed on the bottle... smooth chocolate flavor, not very bitter. If that's your thing then it's a great beer. Just OK for me.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is an excellent chocolate stout. Imagine boiling down chocolate chips and inhaling a big whiff of chocolate goodness - it is similar to the smell of SSOCS, with a hint of malt tossed in for good measure. The dark brown brew has a modest head that shrinks to a ring of small bubbles around the outside of my glass that remaining throughout the beer. The taste is lead by chocolate, and although it is excellent, there is a hint of something being off - a fake quality, but I am being very picky. Mouthfeel is Smooth and silky. An outstanding beer.

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

like carbonated chocolate milk, don't know if it would work as a desert beer on its own due to the over-carbonation but this paired phenomenally with alden's chocolate, chocolate chip ice cream.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - 550 mL bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. The head and lacing are probably the best I've ever seen in a beer. Beautiful tan head that just stays around forever. Pours an opaque ruby red/black. One the best looking beers I've ever seen.

Smell - heavy chocolate, sweet cream, sugar, barley.

Taste - bitter cocoa, sweet chocolate, cream.

Feel - very creamy/velvety & goes down super easy

Overall - a very good world-class beer, but a tad too sweet for my palate to consider it one of my all-time bests.

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

While I'm not much of a stout fan, I can't help but love this beer. Very light and easy mouthfeel; not as heavy and dry as some stouts, and makes for a great desert as much as it does a breakfast addition.

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout from Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster)