Triggerman IPA - Hideout Brewing Company

Hideout Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BrewtalHonesty on 11-06-2013

Ratings: 8 | Reviews: 1
3.18/5  rDev n/a

I picked up a bottle of Hideout's Triggerman IPA last week for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had this beer a couple times on tap and I thought it was a solid IPA, but now that it's bottled I thought I would revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks good, it's got a nice design to it that goes with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a muddy orange color that took on more of darker orange color when held to the light with a light over a fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I think the color and clarity needs some work.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and it's the citrus hops that stick out the most imparting some candied citrus rind aromas with some floral hops showing up in the background. Up next comes a light cardboard aroma that leads into the malts which impart some sweet malt, bread crust and caramel malt like aromas. This beer has a nice aroma, I like the hop profile, but I could go without the light cardboard aspect.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a the hops which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they are much lighter with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes that light cardboard aspect that I got in the aroma and it's followed by the malts which are much lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart some watery malt flavors. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium sweetness with a watery malt and generic hop aftertaste. The taste was ok, but everything but the bitterness was much lighter than I wanted it to be.

M- Not the smoothest, a little crisp, not too clean, medium bodied with a slightly lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it was smoother and a little cleaner.

Overall I thought this was an ok beer and I thought it was a very average example of the style, for the most part the aroma was going in the right direction, but when I got to the taste this beer started to fall apart and in the end it just came out to be a very average IPA with a little bit of an off flavor. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, it's not the smoothest, a little crisp, not too clean, not to filling and the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention, I got bored with this beer halfway through my first glass. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't the greatest, but it's still was the highlight of this beer. What I like the least about this beer is the taste and drinkability, they both weren't that great and held this beer back. I wouldn't buy a bottle of this again, but I might try it on tap again. I can't say I would recommend it, it's very easy to find a much better IPA. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, I remember It being a solid IPA and what I got in this bottle was just an average at best IPA. It's not a favorite Hideout beer and it's average as best as far as the style goes. Better luck nest time guys, this one could use some work.

Triggerman IPA from Hideout Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.