Boozehound Brown - Hideout Brewing Company

Beer added by: Doublicious on 03-09-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 4 | Reviews: 1
3.53/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Hideout's Boozehound Brown last week for $6.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer before and it's been a little bit since I've had a Brown Ale, so I thought I would give it a shot, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's eye catching. It poured a dark brown color that took on more of mahogany color when held to the light with a finger and half worth of tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some bready, toasted malt, caramel malt and grainy aromas with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. Towards the end I get a noticeable nutty aroma. This beer has a pretty nice aroma and it's what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time the grainy aspect is lighter and there's a noticeable cereal malt like flavor with the sweet malts showing up a little more. On the finish comes some nice nutty flavors with no bitterness with a weird sweet and slightly tart flavor that lingers a little into the aftertaste with some malty flavors. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the finish could use some work.

M- Smooth, slightly watery, fairly crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it wasn't slightly watery.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was decent example of the style, it was pretty much what I would expect from the style, but it also had a couple issues that made it rough around the edges. This beer has ok drinkability, i think one glass is enough for me, I don't have the urge to drink another one. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer is the mouthfeel and the finish, those could both use some work. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I might try it on tap. I can't say I would recommend it, but if your really into Brown Ales it might be worth a try. All in all it's not bad, but it could be much better. It's not a favorite Hideout beer and it's only slightly above average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little bit of work.

to view more.
Boozehound Brown from Hideout Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.