Smuggler's Hazelnut Stout - Hideout Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

rAvg: 4
Hideout Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
Reviews by LilBeerDoctor:
3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 6/27/2010. On tap at the brewpub. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted malt and a light coffee presence. Flavor of hazelnut, sweet roasted malt, and vanilla. A creamy coffee stout that is on the sweet side but overall I enjoyed it.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 24, 2010

jereb33, Jul 08, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

DCdevyl78, Jan 29, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a deep black with a slight tan head. Smells sweet, loads of the hazelnut come through here. Taste is super sweet with the majority of it being hazelnut with a bitter finish and a slight burnt aftertaste. Not a load of carbonation but enough to stay consistantly smooth. A great dark stout, if you go to The Hideout, you have to check this one out. Great mouthfeel, the tastes really bounce around. I could drink this anytime, such a great beer. Too bad you can only pick this one up at the brewery.

wingman14, Jun 24, 2006

tommy5, Jan 14, 2014

Tyrawlings, Feb 12, 2012

Buck_Jones, Sep 14, 2014

StoutHunter, May 21, 2013

Zaphog, May 30, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -33%

I don't like to be the hater here, but this beer didn't do it for me. I like stout. And I love hazelnut. I would snort Nutella if I could. But I really couldn't pick up on much hazelnut until this beer had warmed substantially. And at any temperature, the initial notes were bum rushed by an overwhelming bitterness and slightly oxidized taste which stuck around far too long in aftertaste. I also found the beer to be too thin and insubstantial for a stout. It wouldn't take much to turn this into a pretty good beer, but in current incarnation, not recommended. Sorry!

lurpy1, Oct 24, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Rich and hearty black stout. Appearance reminded me of a Guiness.

S: Smells of freshly brewed coffee

T: Hazlenut, Coffee, Cream, Sweet

M: Very Smooth easy to drink, I think the nitro creates more of a creamy feel. I would like to do a comparison test with the CO2 version.

D: Very mellow drinking putting you into a mellow mood

Giggy, Feb 18, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

sneakymagician, Aug 09, 2013

estevan1024, Oct 16, 2013

EricTKole, Oct 01, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +8.3%

From nitro with a deep brown/mohagany color when held to light, otherwise black. Medium creamy tan head rests atop and stays decently. Not too much lacing. Aroma is strong on the hazelnuts but also quite roasted with an espresso like bitterness. Taste has more of a chocolate syrup quality up front followed by the hazelnut coffee flavor and touches of vanilla and cream underneath. More roasted coffee and hazelnut come out at the finish. The roasty quality is just right to offset the hazelnuts, chocolate, and vanilla. I think nitro works well here. I think that to make a good stout like this there needs to be quality ingredients and there is no better coffee in Grand Rapids than Schuil, which is what is used here. Even though hazelnut coffee is disgusting in general, it works for this beer here.

granger10, Jul 20, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +2%

I drank this brew at the brewery on the second level while playing shuffle board.

A: Very dark like thick coffee and when held up to the light it was still black. The thin head was like foamy chocolate milk in color

S: I had two pints of this... I did not pick up the hazlenut on my first glass but when I switched beer and came back to this one I could notice it right away.

Taste.- Lots of coffee flavors with a slight roasted barely finish. I

M: Not as thick as I expected.

D: Good brew. Reminded me alot of a breakfast stout.

LanceW, Dec 12, 2010