Smuggler's Hazelnut Stout - Hideout Brewing Company

Smuggler's Hazelnut Stout
No picture uploaded.

Hideout Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jale:
jale

3.63/5  rDev -9.7%

Had on nitro-tap at Reno's East in Lansing.

A:Pours brown with 4 inches of light brown head. Looks almost like a milkshake due to the nitro

S: chocolate and a nice fresh brewed coffee aroma. Maybe a hint of sour cherry.

T: Chocolate and fresh brewed coffee. Not as sweet as I thought it would be. finishes slightly sour.

M: Creamy mouthfeel(nitro) but a little thin for me.

D: Would have another

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

01-29-2014 03:55:46 | More by DCdevyl78
wingman14

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a deep black with a slight tan head. Smells sweet, loads of the hazelnut come through here. Taste is super sweet with the majority of it being hazelnut with a bitter finish and a slight burnt aftertaste. Not a load of carbonation but enough to stay consistantly smooth. A great dark stout, if you go to The Hideout, you have to check this one out. Great mouthfeel, the tastes really bounce around. I could drink this anytime, such a great beer. Too bad you can only pick this one up at the brewery.

06-24-2006 02:33:54 | More by wingman14

Zaphog

05-30-2013 15:28:07 | More by Zaphog
lurpy1

2.68/5  rDev -33.3%

I don't like to be the hater here, but this beer didn't do it for me. I like stout. And I love hazelnut. I would snort Nutella if I could. But I really couldn't pick up on much hazelnut until this beer had warmed substantially. And at any temperature, the initial notes were bum rushed by an overwhelming bitterness and slightly oxidized taste which stuck around far too long in aftertaste. I also found the beer to be too thin and insubstantial for a stout. It wouldn't take much to turn this into a pretty good beer, but in current incarnation, not recommended. Sorry!

10-24-2012 22:00:26 | More by lurpy1
Giggy

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Rich and hearty black stout. Appearance reminded me of a Guiness.

S: Smells of freshly brewed coffee

T: Hazlenut, Coffee, Cream, Sweet

M: Very Smooth easy to drink, I think the nitro creates more of a creamy feel. I would like to do a comparison test with the CO2 version.

D: Very mellow drinking putting you into a mellow mood

02-18-2011 19:55:53 | More by Giggy

10-16-2013 21:44:58 | More by estevan1024
granger10

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

From nitro with a deep brown/mohagany color when held to light, otherwise black. Medium creamy tan head rests atop and stays decently. Not too much lacing. Aroma is strong on the hazelnuts but also quite roasted with an espresso like bitterness. Taste has more of a chocolate syrup quality up front followed by the hazelnut coffee flavor and touches of vanilla and cream underneath. More roasted coffee and hazelnut come out at the finish. The roasty quality is just right to offset the hazelnuts, chocolate, and vanilla. I think nitro works well here. I think that to make a good stout like this there needs to be quality ingredients and there is no better coffee in Grand Rapids than Schuil, which is what is used here. Even though hazelnut coffee is disgusting in general, it works for this beer here.

07-20-2006 16:45:39 | More by granger10
LanceW

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

I drank this brew at the brewery on the second level while playing shuffle board.

A: Very dark like thick coffee and when held up to the light it was still black. The thin head was like foamy chocolate milk in color

S: I had two pints of this... I did not pick up the hazlenut on my first glass but when I switched beer and came back to this one I could notice it right away.

Taste.- Lots of coffee flavors with a slight roasted barely finish. I

M: Not as thick as I expected.

D: Good brew. Reminded me alot of a breakfast stout.

12-12-2010 17:15:48 | More by LanceW

jmich24

03-02-2014 05:09:21 | More by jmich24
TheBlackMallard

4.38/5  rDev +9%

Pours dark black with amber highlights at the bottom of the glass. Almost no head.

I'll admit I've never had hazelnut coffee but if it smells like this it must smell damn good. I mean wow.

Tastes mostly of hazelnut with hints of coffee and creme in the background. I was disappointed with Rogue's Hazelnut Brown, not so much here. This really showcases the hazelnut.

Lightly carbonated, creamy, and almost flat.

I really love this beer, I make it a point to stop by every MBG fest and grab a sample. I could and would drink a growler to myself.

03-16-2008 07:27:52 | More by TheBlackMallard
WakeandBake

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Draft at Brew HaHa . A dark brown to black color with a medium fluffy tan head.Aroma of hazelnut coffee and vanilla . Flavor of sweet dark roasted hazelnut coffee and some dark chocolate.Just enough carbonation for a smooth creamy mouthfeel, a hint at bitterness on the finish. A solid offering,and I would love a growler of this stuff.Would be more drinkable if less sweet but very good stuff for sure.

01-19-2009 22:23:09 | More by WakeandBake