Smuggler's Hazelnut Stout - Hideout Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 14
3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 6/27/2010. On tap at the brewpub. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted malt and a light coffee presence. Flavor of hazelnut, sweet roasted malt, and vanilla. A creamy coffee stout that is on the sweet side but overall I enjoyed it.

4.04/5  rDev +0.7%

Black with a caramel brown edge. No light making it's way through the center. Poured with little to no head or lace.

The smell of hazlenut, with vanilla, and coffee. Sweet malt aromas as well. Smells delicious.

Very similar to Rogue hazlenut brown ale. Is this a milkshake? Almost like hazlenut flavored syrup was added. A tad thin for a stout but otherwise a fabulous beer from a great brewery. Very roasty malt, and a vanilla bean extract in the 45 second finish.

I think I will miss this brewery more than any that I visited this past weekend:(

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

From nitro with a deep brown/mohagany color when held to light, otherwise black. Medium creamy tan head rests atop and stays decently. Not too much lacing. Aroma is strong on the hazelnuts but also quite roasted with an espresso like bitterness. Taste has more of a chocolate syrup quality up front followed by the hazelnut coffee flavor and touches of vanilla and cream underneath. More roasted coffee and hazelnut come out at the finish. The roasty quality is just right to offset the hazelnuts, chocolate, and vanilla. I think nitro works well here. I think that to make a good stout like this there needs to be quality ingredients and there is no better coffee in Grand Rapids than Schuil, which is what is used here. Even though hazelnut coffee is disgusting in general, it works for this beer here.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Draft sample at MBG Winterfest 2009.

Poured black color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate roasted coffee, chocolate and nutty aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and flat carbonation. Medium to heavy roasted bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

My expectations where met with a solid drinkable beer.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Rich and hearty black stout. Appearance reminded me of a Guiness.

S: Smells of freshly brewed coffee

T: Hazlenut, Coffee, Cream, Sweet

M: Very Smooth easy to drink, I think the nitro creates more of a creamy feel. I would like to do a comparison test with the CO2 version.

D: Very mellow drinking putting you into a mellow mood

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Nitro-tap poured into a pint glass.

A- Black with some reddish-brown at the edges. Great stick. Not a lot of head.

S- Great coffee aroma.

T- Good combination of chocolate, coffee, and a touch of nuttiness. Some vanilla notes come through late.

M- Smooth feel. Nice and thick.

D- Good drinkability. I could put back a couple in a sitting.

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

Draft at Brew HaHa . A dark brown to black color with a medium fluffy tan head.Aroma of hazelnut coffee and vanilla . Flavor of sweet dark roasted hazelnut coffee and some dark chocolate.Just enough carbonation for a smooth creamy mouthfeel, a hint at bitterness on the finish. A solid offering,and I would love a growler of this stuff.Would be more drinkable if less sweet but very good stuff for sure.

4.77/5  rDev +19%

Pours a deep black with a slight tan head. Smells sweet, loads of the hazelnut come through here. Taste is super sweet with the majority of it being hazelnut with a bitter finish and a slight burnt aftertaste. Not a load of carbonation but enough to stay consistantly smooth. A great dark stout, if you go to The Hideout, you have to check this one out. Great mouthfeel, the tastes really bounce around. I could drink this anytime, such a great beer. Too bad you can only pick this one up at the brewery.

2.77/5  rDev -30.9%

I don't like to be the hater here, but this beer didn't do it for me. I like stout. And I love hazelnut. I would snort Nutella if I could. But I really couldn't pick up on much hazelnut until this beer had warmed substantially. And at any temperature, the initial notes were bum rushed by an overwhelming bitterness and slightly oxidized taste which stuck around far too long in aftertaste. I also found the beer to be too thin and insubstantial for a stout. It wouldn't take much to turn this into a pretty good beer, but in current incarnation, not recommended. Sorry!

3.65/5  rDev -9%

Had on nitro-tap at Reno's East in Lansing.

A:Pours brown with 4 inches of light brown head. Looks almost like a milkshake due to the nitro

S: chocolate and a nice fresh brewed coffee aroma. Maybe a hint of sour cherry.

T: Chocolate and fresh brewed coffee. Not as sweet as I thought it would be. finishes slightly sour.

M: Creamy mouthfeel(nitro) but a little thin for me.

D: Would have another

4.37/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark black with amber highlights at the bottom of the glass. Almost no head.

I'll admit I've never had hazelnut coffee but if it smells like this it must smell damn good. I mean wow.

Tastes mostly of hazelnut with hints of coffee and creme in the background. I was disappointed with Rogue's Hazelnut Brown, not so much here. This really showcases the hazelnut.

Lightly carbonated, creamy, and almost flat.

I really love this beer, I make it a point to stop by every MBG fest and grab a sample. I could and would drink a growler to myself.

3.41/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at The Hideout. Nitro-pour and CO2 versions available.

A-Average for a stout. Nothing really sticks out. Nice little creamy head on top. Comparable to a Guinness...or any other nitro stout for that matter.

S-You get little muted hints of the hazelnut. The again, I've never really known nitrogen beers to impart very strong flavors....maybe due to the lack of effervescence?

T-This is definitely Hideout's marquee product as it's available in multiple bars in the GR area. It's got quite a bit of robust hazelnut flavor to it that feels a tad artificial. Reminds me a bit of Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown. A bit of oatmeal as well.

M-Creamy. Much like any other nitro beer. Little viscous at points.

O-Decent offering but nothing that will knock your pants off.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

I drank this brew at the brewery on the second level while playing shuffle board.

A: Very dark like thick coffee and when held up to the light it was still black. The thin head was like foamy chocolate milk in color

S: I had two pints of this... I did not pick up the hazlenut on my first glass but when I switched beer and came back to this one I could notice it right away.

Taste.- Lots of coffee flavors with a slight roasted barely finish. I

M: Not as thick as I expected.

D: Good brew. Reminded me alot of a breakfast stout.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

CO2 tap at the brewery.

Served in a pint glass. Looks are as expected for a stout, just really dark amber black with almost no translucence. I was a bit disappointed with the complete lack of head, just a touch of lacing that lingered till I finished it off.

The smell is mostly maple syrup, with hazelnut coffee, and chocolate in the background.

The taste is a well balanced mix of coffee, hazelnut and cream. Almost no hop presence, just enough to balance out the hazelnut and cream.

Theres an average amount of carbonation for a stout. It's thick and creamy. Almost perfect.

This beer goes down almost too easily. A great session beer. That is if you grab a growler and go home.

Smuggler's Hazelnut Stout from Hideout Brewing Company