Private IPA - Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store

No picture uploaded.
good

Franklin's Restaurant, Brewery & General Store visit their website
Maryland, United States

(Beer added by: FirstMan on 11-11-2005)
Reviews by sarahspat:
3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

This is a gorgeous looking IPA. A thick, off-white head sits atop a golden orange liquid. It has great retention and super thick lacing, which completely coats the sides of the glass.

Nose is not very strong or complex, but what's there is good. Citrus...grapefruit. It tastes like grapefruit rinds. Again, not complex but pretty tasty. This is a solid, highly drinkable and refreshing IPA.

sarahspat, Jun 21, 2009

jtladner, Jun 22, 2014

GFish, Jan 20, 2014

Poured on tap at the restaurant into a shaker pint.

Dark red amber body which gives to orange, very similar to the Sierra Madre served on tap. Off white foamy head, clear, with some very good lacing.

Hoppy pine blast for the nose, very strong, with a good dry malt sense, almost burnt bread and char.

Taste is a bitter hop of pine and dry malt senses. Very toasty and burnt tasting sensation, with a strong feel in the palate. Hints of alcohol thickness but nothing overpowering.

Overall a good solid IPA, strong and assertive but one that doesn't go too overboard either.

smakawhat, Jul 17, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

Mikexw, May 22, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at Franklin's.

Pours an orange-amber color with an off-white head and a bit of lacing. The nose carries through some citrus and orange peel plus a bit of malt. The flavor is slightly-malty with some nice citrus hop character Medium body and a slight bitterness. Pretty good.

Thorpe429, Dec 17, 2011

dokupe, Jan 28, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

Had this on-tap at Franklin's. Especially when below the Mason-Dixon Line, I try new beer with a certain degree of low expectations, but I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised here.

Deep, hazy, orange coloring with a nice fluffy, soapy, pitted head that had great retention. Held on with very nice, complex lacing even as I was half-way through the pint. This is a spot-on American IPA in appearance.

Beautiful, hop florals with tones of citrus and little hints of clove, cinnamon and apples(?). Oooo, I'm getting all antsy...

In all this is above average in taste - with much of the same spicy citrus and fruity characteristics that were in the nose. Although it's not too bad of a thing, the hops are just slightly overdone (in my humble opinion) in the back, lingering just a little too bitterly in the initial taste. That said, after a few minutes of drinking this, I was very pleased with the balance and the initial hop bomb eased out.

Mouthfeel is great - smooth and creamy, with bright crispness lent by the carbination.

Overall a very good IPA that I would drink the crap out of if I lived nearby. I'll need to visit my cousin more often.

FirstMan, Nov 11, 2005

Boone757, Apr 06, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +5.1%

My favorite beer at Franklin's.

Poured a hazy dark gold like a rich honey. Medium head with relatively large bubbles, but reasonable retention.

Nose was mostly hop floral and very grainy, like fresh light roasted barley. Very little fruitiness or bitterness on the nose.

Taste was very hoppy followed by some citrus and cherry fruit and finally a grainy chewiness and long bitter hop aftertaste (which I love)

Mouthfeel was creamy and chewy, but all the hops added some crispness.

I thought I'd rate this a 3.5 in drinkability as all the chewy, grainy, hoppy qualities made it a little much, but this beer really grew on me as I was drinking it, and I even had a second though it was my first time here and there was more to taste. The beer became more integrated as it warmed a little and sat in the glass. I could definitely keep drinking these, even on a warm night.

Georgiabeer, Jul 16, 2006

harpus, Jul 23, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

I had a sample of this at the bar, and then took a growler home with me to enjoy. I find this to be a very nice drinkable IPA from one of the few local brewpubs in the DC metro area.

Franklin's Private IPA is a nice hoppy IPA with a light maltiness and more focus on bitter citrus. It's got a great brownish orange color but not much head retention from my growler. I found it quite drinkable while I bottled my homebrew and with my Indian spiced rice dinner later that night. Franklin's calls it a British style IPA, but it reminds me more of what the Americans have been putting out. It has 7% ABV so it packs a kick too, but you don't taste the alcohol.

You can take a growler home of it for $9.99 (not including the growler).

mikedolan03, Jun 09, 2009

redfox405, Aug 09, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +2.4%

From 06/18/11 notes. Had on tap at Franklin's.

a - Pours a somewhat murky orange color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, tropical fruits, oranges, and grapefruits. Grapefruit is strong in the nose.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, tropical fruits, fruity malts, grapefruits. A little bit of bitterness to the taste.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall I really liked this IPA; I thought it was one of the better beers I had at Franklin's. Nose was full of fresh hops, would definitely order it again.

mdfb79, Jun 20, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +1.9%

From the brewer's mouth, "Private I.P.A.- A traditional British-style India Pale Ale with great hop bitterness, this is one of our strongest regular offerings at about 7% A.B.V."

Beer is caramel in color, orange and hazy. Lacing is really high.

Beer smells like citrus, aroma is a little weak. As is the taste, a little weak. Its like a dialed down AIPA. The bitterness is there its just a little weak, the mouthfeel is fine, the drinkability is higher than most IPAs because of the subdued flavors.

drabmuh, Nov 24, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Prototypical beer for the IPA style. It literally doesn't get much better. This beer has the look, taste and feel. I wish it was available in bottles all over the country.

Nice Hops kick.

Could have a little more carbonation for a more lasting head.

Great Feeling in the mouth.

Notes of Grapefruit,butter, pine and lemon.

Great beer.

JeffV, Oct 24, 2008

oriolesfan4, Apr 26, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -25.9%

rab53, May 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Medium head that leaves patchy spots of lacing behind. The beer itself is cloudy orange tinted sienna. Very thin streaks of lacing.

S - Apples, pine and herbal hops, very faint light malt. Actually a very, very faint touch of coffee.

T - Upfront hops, pine soapy and the pith aspect independent of any paticular citrus, or if you prefer, that flavor common to all citrus pith.

M - Smooth, thin to medium body, pretty refreshing.

D - Pretty good. I might have this one again. It is a typical Franklin's IPA.

mrasskicktastic, Apr 07, 2007